Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,828 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:43 AM

What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area (42890 Views)

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? / Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Anthony0094(m): 2:22am On Dec 04, 2013
may u no gt more dan 2 bf. 4 gals
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Oluabayomi1(m): 2:31am On Dec 04, 2013
In my village,Iyah Gbede in Ijumu LGA of kogi state,it is a taboo to smoke cannabis in d public. It is equally a taboo to join BH
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by dheaven: 2:55am On Dec 04, 2013
In my Village Nigeria is a taboo to be POOR as people will look down on you and you dont have say in your family neither do people seek for your opinion in an important issue any where you go.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 3:02am On Dec 04, 2013
Same-sex marriage

2 Likes

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by missterious(f): 3:03am On Dec 04, 2013
We don't eat snails in my village
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by IAMBREEZY: 3:40am On Dec 04, 2013
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by IAMBREEZY: 3:40am On Dec 04, 2013
Smoking and drinking of alcoholkisskisskisskisskisskiss
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nigeriakan: 4:00am On Dec 04, 2013
o'boy:
in the olden days,it was seen as the messenger of the gods,whenever it came to somebody house,they believe it brought message from the gods,my dad once told me that in those days whenevr a child is born the python come visiting and goes away after
but all these dont happen no more
This is true. Thanks so much, bros. Achebe (RIP) depicts this same belief in his blockbuster, Things Fall Apart. The killing of the Sacred Python by a new convert is even a major crisis in the novel. Culture lives, tradition thrives.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by DaVerdict: 4:24am On Dec 04, 2013
As for Nnewi we no dey chop "Ewi"
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nigeriakan: 4:28am On Dec 04, 2013
In the Oke-Ogun area of Oyo State and perhaps the same applies to the Yorubaland in general, these are taboos
1. Thou shalt not raise your head beyond the elderly people you sleep with. I knew this when I was young, I was taller than Baba yet I had to squeeze myself to keep from strtching to his height or beyond..
2. Thou shalt not make a noise with the cooking pot near a Sango worshipper, they may go on a trance fit. Back in childhood days when we made a hellot noise with iron bowls, we knew our Stop rhythm from the Continue crescendo.

3. Thou shalt not look at the mouth of an elder when eating or chewing. You may earn a slap for just a single glance.

4. Thou shalt not use the left hand to give or collect things from the elderly. You may forfeit the gift or get a hard knock on your head.

5. Thou shalt not cut off leaves at late hour in the evening. It's their sleeping time. Let the sleeping leaf be.

6. Thou shalt not beat a male with broom. He may loose his manhood.

7. Thou shalt not stay at the door way when it rains less thunder strike on you.

4 Likes

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 4:28am On Dec 04, 2013
Its a taboo to have se.x and conceive in the afternoon in Eshan/Ishan Edo state.
....punishment is an Albino baby..
my eshan room mate in uni told me this..i laughed so hard and didnt believe and he was highly offended with my reaction.

Pls Eshan people here shld confirm or refute this.
I thought it was used to discourage lazy couples from staying home instead of being in the farms or markets in the olden days.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Intelligentman(m): 4:35am On Dec 04, 2013
Kingslaw: which part of ikwerre is that? And what are the reasons for this?
He is correct but i don't think it's all Ikwerre. The place i know very well is a place called Ndele,as if you are going to Ahoda .
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 4:40am On Dec 04, 2013
tpia@:
has any of you here given your life to Jesus Christ?

where are you going to spend eternity, have you considered that?

Please have you found yourself or are you still mentally deluded? This thread is not for people suffering from inferiority complex.

2 Likes

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Consultville(m): 5:00am On Dec 04, 2013
My village taboo: For siblings to marry each oda grin
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 5:08am On Dec 04, 2013
In Igboland, it is a taboo to call us IBO instead of IGBO, it is derogatory. IT IS IGBO no ibo.

3 Likes

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by TrishaP(f): 5:35am On Dec 04, 2013
ngozievergreen: I heard its a taboo in ikwerre land to have s.ex on the floor.

Hmm na wa o,.. I'm an Ikwerre girl but I've never heard such in my life.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by 4lorunsho(m): 5:41am On Dec 04, 2013
In my village don't walk naked on the main road cuz everybody will run for u
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by observer2020(m): 5:42am On Dec 04, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]In My town of Umudioka in Dunukofia LGA of Anambra state,it is a taboo to friend or have sex wit a girl that is from the same village wit u.

Also it is a taboo to sweep ur house in the night,even if u want to sweep the rubbish must remain in the room till morning.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by akinladejo: 5:54am On Dec 04, 2013
TrishaP:

Hmm na wa o,.. I'm an Ikwerre girl but I've never heard such in my life.

U don hear am be that oo. Don't try urself less u become a statue or u cojoin
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by akinladejo: 5:56am On Dec 04, 2013
In my place u don't eat (okete) big rat is forbiden
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by ezeuba(m): 6:04am On Dec 04, 2013
All na wash... Just a way of the village leaders of old to enforce their power and control over the ignorant people then...
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by DesChyko1(m): 6:07am On Dec 04, 2013
In my place, it is a taboo to swear falsely using the traditional three-legged stove. It never leaves the compound, so serves as a witness.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by DesChyko1(m): 6:09am On Dec 04, 2013
ezeuba: All na wash... Just a way of the village leaders of old to enforce their power and control over the ignorant people then...

Renounce your surname then.. Go for the non-washers' names.. Imagine a land withou cultural roots
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Teespice(f): 6:11am On Dec 04, 2013
In my village, its a taboo for any woman who is unmarried and has not yet done what is called "ikwa-ezi" to have sex or get pregnant. The moment she is caught, she is banished never to set foot there again.

Very archaic if you ask me.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by jaybee3(m): 6:14am On Dec 04, 2013
Teespice: In my village, its a taboo for any woman who is unmarried and has not yet done what is called "ikwa-ezi" to have sex or get pregnant. The moment she is caught, she is banished never to set foot there again.

What's the name of this village make i kuku take advantage of the tradition.
I'm going to be saving bucket load on bride price
Yippeeeeee
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by ezeuba(m): 6:19am On Dec 04, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:

Renounce your surname then.. Go for the non-washers' names.. Imagine a land withou cultural roots
That's the problem with ignorant Africans... Culture is not equal to stupid beliefs... Do you think Oyibo do not have culture?... Is culture vernacular?... Last I read, it was an english word, so they too have culture but not stupid beliefs...
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Sike(m): 6:23am On Dec 04, 2013
It's a taboo to eat on the road/entrance.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 6:30am On Dec 04, 2013
In Igbo land is Taboo for a Man to have sex with his fellow Man.(HOMOSEXUALISM).... But today they call it sexual orientation.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by AroOkigbo(m): 6:47am On Dec 04, 2013
pendusky:
•Suicide in some parts of ibo land also is a taboo, and the family would be the ones to pay the penalty if anyone commits suicide.
The main reason a particular "religion" is a hard sell in Igboland.
In Arochukwu, a married Aro woman CANNOT have intimacy outside marriage. This is why we Aro men rarely marry non Aros.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Lucasbalo(m): 6:48am On Dec 04, 2013
Teespice: In my village, its a taboo for any woman who is unmarried and has not yet done what is called "ikwa-ezi" to have sex or get pregnant. The moment she is caught, she is banished never to set foot there again.

Good. That means you are a virgin.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 6:59am On Dec 04, 2013
ezeuba:
That's the problem with ignorant Africans... Culture is not equal to stupid beliefs... Do you think Oyibo do not have culture?... Is culture vernacular?... Last I read, it was an english word, so they too have culture but not stupid beliefs...

Wrong....There are stupid beliefs all over the world..do your research,you will be shocked with your findings.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Some "Super-lovely" And Hilarious Yoruba Proverbs You Would Love To Know / How To Say "i Miss You" In Yoruba? Plz Help Me! / Masquerade In Imo Takes A Selfie With Iphone6 Plus (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.