Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,008 members, 7,806,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area (42892 Views)

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? / Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Xyge(m): 7:03am On Dec 04, 2013
Which part of Nigeria has it that a pregie woman puts safety pins or needles on her protrusion....on the protruded part of her cloth?
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by kubi240: 7:03am On Dec 04, 2013
ngozievergreen: I heard its a taboo in ikwerre land to have s.ex on the floor.
i hed it also
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by DesChyko1(m): 7:07am On Dec 04, 2013
ezeuba:
That's the problem with ignorant Africans... Culture is not equal to stupid beliefs... Do you think Oyibo do not have culture?... Is culture vernacular?... Last I read, it was an english word, so they too have culture but not stupid beliefs...
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by DesChyko1(m): 7:09am On Dec 04, 2013
ezeuba:
That's the problem with ignorant Africans...blah..blah..blah...

Go and ask your father the origin of your surname/name first. Then come back here to call the 'rules of the fatherland' misleading.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by otunlexy(m): 7:15am On Dec 04, 2013
akinladejo: In my place u don't eat (okete) big rat is forbiden
#TeamOndo#
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by kubi240: 7:16am On Dec 04, 2013
african man is an ignoramus give ur life to christ ad live a free life
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by jnrbayano(m): 7:28am On Dec 04, 2013
In igboland, it is a taboo for any woman to do the following:

pray over Kolanut.

wear masquerade or go close to it.

take part in Kindred meetings.

climb to tap palm wine.

2 Likes

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by iykemega(m): 7:35am On Dec 04, 2013
o'boy:
in the olden days,it was seen as the messenger of the gods,whenever it came to somebody house,they believe it brought message from the gods,my dad once told me that in those days whenevr a child is born the python come visiting and goes away after
but all these dont happen no more
when i was little it came to our house in th village( python) and my anty put kerosene in its mouth and it scurried away....am from mbaitoli
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by ttomexy(f): 7:45am On Dec 04, 2013
i heard in a part of benue,it is a taboo for women to do family planning,people from this area pls confirm
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Optimisticgondy(m): 7:49am On Dec 04, 2013
It's a taboo for horses to walk in my town. I was told that if they do, they would die, I haven't witnessed one though
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by shejane: 8:02am On Dec 04, 2013
Is a taboo in my place 2 eat snail
N my frends tod me dat snail is so so so delicious
Bt I can't confirm dat
Is a pity sha
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 8:05am On Dec 04, 2013
In Igboland, it is a taboo to call us IBO instead of IGBO, it is derogatory. IT IS IGBO no ibo.
But it is not derogatory to call yoruba "yeroba" and funny things ehhn! Sorry it has come to stay!

3 Likes

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by mercurie(f): 8:13am On Dec 04, 2013
Ok. Op in ikwerre land ur not allowed to have sex on the ground, else u must cleanse d land. It is wrong 4 an ikwerre person 2 keep a female dog in his/her house except some have changed now. It is forbidden 4 a person 2 die on riagbo day in ikwerre land, a lot of rites wud be performed. It is wrong 4 a woman who her husband is alife 2 eat with a knife. Sleeping and putting ur leg 2wards d door also was forbidden

1 Like

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by shejane: 8:18am On Dec 04, 2013
Aro Okigbo:
The main reason a particular "religion" is a hard sell in Igboland.
In Arochukwu, a married Aro woman CANNOT have intimacy outside marriage. This is why we Aro men rarely marry non Aros.

Non Aros hardly marry Aros so is beta 4 Aro to marry Aro anywhere
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by shejane: 8:19am On Dec 04, 2013
Aro Okigbo:
The main reason a particular "religion" is a hard sell in Igboland.
In Arochukwu, a married Aro woman CANNOT have intimacy outside marriage. This is why we Aro men rarely marry non Aros.

Is even a taboo in my place 2 marry Aro, if u do u are automatically an outcast
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 8:29am On Dec 04, 2013
pendusky: Nigeria has a lot of cultural and traditional beliefs and taboos. Some are actively practiced while others are dormant and are not necessarily practiced presently.

•For example in the Ibibio tribe using the left hand actively is a form of insult and seen as a form of negativity ,such as using the left hand to give or accept something and even using the left hand to eat.

• In the past, Ladies esp the pregnant women were not allow to look into Masquerade in the face otherwise she will born a baby that resembles Masquerade. but now adays U will find ladies taking a photo shot with the Masquerade grin grin

The taboos are not the same, they vary in ethnicity. Here are some examples:

•In the Eke-Idemilli area of the Ibo land, its a taboo to kill any form of snake.

•The Akwa people do not allow the killing on their monkeys, although this is not widely practiced in ibo land generally.

•Suicide in some parts of ibo land also is a taboo, and the family would be the ones to pay the penalty if anyone commits suicide.

•In some areas of Idoma land, when the king dies, its a taboo to mourn at the funeral.

•In some parts of Yoruba land , its a taboo for pregnant women to go near a corpse.

•In some parts of Benin, displaying palm fruits in public is a taboo , rumors have it that one could even loose his or her head.

•Some parts of ibo land forbids eating of yam in the month of August.

•In some parts of Urhobo Delta State, cutting of fire wood at night when the moon is full is forbidden, rumors have it that such a person could become a statue.

All these myths are just a traditional mans theory to find some meaning to existence. A scientist would call it typical hypothesis that can never be proved. This must have been created when man had total fear of the unknown and still tried to understand the universe.

Share any cultural taboo you know about in Nigeria here;
https://www.nairaland.com/1307137/taboos-abomination-list-actions-deeds
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 8:31am On Dec 04, 2013
shejane:

Is even a taboo in my place 2 marry Aro, if u do u are automatically an outcast
Man! Classic case of throwing cold water. I laughed hard.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by bamssy(m): 8:40am On Dec 04, 2013
in edo state it s a taboo 2 tel a widow "go and die". it a taboo 4 PDP 2 decamp 2 APC xcept u r willing 2 lay down ur political position.in d north it a taboo 2 contest in 2015 4 we migth vote in bokoharam.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by lovat(m): 8:41am On Dec 04, 2013
In my village in ukpor of Nnewi South lGA in Anambra state, it is a taboo to kill python and green snake so I've got an oppourtunity to hold a python without it bitting me. Still saw it as a mystery in nature.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Dannylux: 8:44am On Dec 04, 2013
You dare not kill a python.. you can guess where I come from wink
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by uncleshegee: 8:46am On Dec 04, 2013
grin, cool we too much for Igbo land.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by ifeanyidavid: 8:47am On Dec 04, 2013
TrishaP:

Hmm na wa o,.. I'm an Ikwerre girl but I've never heard such in my life.
U mean say since u dey do am for floor u no no say na taboo ehh !
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by rexbuton: 8:49am On Dec 04, 2013
In benin, it is a taboo For women to urinate within the compound. They are required to go outside the compound.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by ifeanyidavid: 8:52am On Dec 04, 2013
kubi240: african man is an ignoramus give ur life to christ ad live a free life
PASTOR : na only u no bible pass !

2 Likes

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Lilimax(f): 8:54am On Dec 04, 2013
Anambra state generally does not kill Python sad
The reason I don't know.

1 Like

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Rejoice5000(f): 9:01am On Dec 04, 2013
pendusky:
is that right? why python? is it their gods?
ASK OUR FOREFATHERS.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by speeka: 9:04am On Dec 04, 2013
I am from Edo state, in ma village it is a taboo for married couple to sleep in opposite direction to each other
such couples are not allow to marry again, that is separation is the answer.

2. in my village a married woman must not have sex with another man, the children will start dieing if she does not confess.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 9:08am On Dec 04, 2013
It's a taboo to eat green snake. It's a legend that they spread themselves across a river as bridge for my people to cross and escape from toublesome fulanis that invaded our village.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by dokunbam(m): 9:09am On Dec 04, 2013
Well i dont know if this general in Yoruba land

A king must not see a dead body
There is this certain Crown(it is called iya ade) i.e the mother of all crown
The king must not look inside the crown, so someone will have to wear it from him from the back

we dont eat dogs
and no female dogs(cos they feel they are dirty so something)
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Fabulous36(f): 9:13am On Dec 04, 2013
In my village it is forbidden for a woman to urinate in front of the house.

If a girl gets pregnant without marriage, the family will have to appease the gods or else the breadwinner or an elderly person will die

You do not go to a particular stream during your period. etc
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 9:18am On Dec 04, 2013
Yomieluv: In my area,its a taboo to whistle,custom says it attracts snakes.

In Ekiti,where I did my NYSC,its a taboo to sleep on the reverse side of the mat.

Na lie joor
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by yemi2plus(m): 9:18am On Dec 04, 2013
Fabulous36: In my village it is forbidden for a woman to urinate in front of the house.

If a girl gets pregnant without marriage, the family will have to appease the gods or else the breadwinner or an elderly person will die

You do not go to a particular stream during your period. etc

You must be from Edo State.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Some "Super-lovely" And Hilarious Yoruba Proverbs You Would Love To Know / How To Say "i Miss You" In Yoruba? Plz Help Me! / Masquerade In Imo Takes A Selfie With Iphone6 Plus (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.