Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:51 PM

Somali Religion & Mythology - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Somali Religion & Mythology (26184 Views)

Was Judaism,Christianity And Islam Copied From Ancient Egyptian Mythology ? / The Bible Is Not The Inerrant Word Of God: It Is Just A Copy Of Mythology / Part Of The Bible Is Straight From Egyptian Mythology(plagiarism) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Somali Religion & Mythology by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:01pm On Dec 03, 2013
Somali Religion:

The Ancient Religions of Eebe Waaq ( Dhaqankii Eebe-Waaq)

The Old Religion

Religion in arabic is call (Diin) and in old somali is call ( Dhaqan )
The Somali people in pre-islamic times practiced a complex Monotheistic religion ).with a set of Deities superseded by a single all powerful figure called Eebe (God also known as Waaq ). The Equillibrium of the Universe in Somali Mythology was tied with the Love (Gacal ) and between the beloved (Gacalo).or the sky Bull and the Cow
The Universe was said to balance itself on the horns of a The Love and the Beloved or Waaq and Eebe so the Bull and the cow of the sky a beast forever staring at the cow tied to a pole in front of him. Whenever his love turned her eyes away from the Bull, it would result in a physical shift that caused natural disasters on Earth Religious temples were called (Xeero) dating from antiquity known as Taalo were the centers where important ceremonies were held led by a (Wadaad) the priest .

Major Deities

Eebe Eebe is the Somali word for God and was synonymously used for the ancient Cushitic Sky God Waaq. According to Somali Legend Eebe lived in the Heavens and whenever the Somalis successfully prayed for rain it was known as Bar-waaqo (God's rain)

Ayaanle The Ayaanle in Ancient Somalia were known as the good spirits or Angels and acted as mediators between God Eebe ) and Humans. They were said to be bringers of luck and Blessings from Eebe in somali what they call today is Ayaanlayaal

Hoobal - Hoobal was another God in the Somali Religion. Many old Somali Folk Songs, etc. still contain invocations to this God. The Somalis would say "Heedhe Hoobalwa".

Huur Huur or Xuur was the messenger of Death and had the form of a large bird. The deity was akin to Waaq of and played a similar role in the ancient Somali society.

Nidar Nidar was the righter of wrong. He was considered the champion of those that were exploited by their fellow humans. The deity has survived in modern Somalia as a popular saying; Nidar Ba Ku Heli ("Nidar will find and Punish you"wink

Ancient Tomps and temples

Many Regions of Ancient somalia had cities or specific areas whose names corroborate the stories told in Somali old Religion and the mythology. Places such as Abud waq, Ceel waq , Digil waq and so on another similar towns with the name Waq in it indicate a relation to the old religion practiced in the Somali peninsula . The Tomb of Arraweello (Taalo araweelo) is another popular mythological place in Somalia said to be the final resting place of Queen Arraweello. In modern times it's considered an important place for women.
Ancient Mythology

Habbad ina Kamas

Habbad ina Kamas was a legendary cruel giant who ruled half of Ancient Somalia. His oppressive rule was the complete opposite to the kindness and care that was bestowed upon the other half of the land ruled by the giant Biriir ina Barqo. He was defeated and killed in battle by Biriir when he found out about the abuse and neglect through the mouths of his human subjects.

Biriir ina Barqo

Biriir ina Barqo was a legendary heroic Giant in Ancient Somalia known for his just rule and kindness. He lived in a cave called Shimbiraale(the cave of birds) and used to wear a heavy ring that no man could lift. He answered the pleas of those suffering under the rule of the giant called Habbad and defeated him in battle. He then united the two lands and ushered in a long period of peace.

Qori ismaris

Qori ismaris was a man who could transform himself into a Hyenaman by rubbing himself with a magic stick at nightfall and by repeating this process could return to his human state before dawn.

Dhegdheer

Dhegdheer was a female cannibalistic demon who hunted in Somali forests, her victims were usually wandering or lost.

The spirit communicator was the Qaali.

In Somali mythology, there is an abundance of tales about men and women who defied cultural traditions or acquired heroic and saintly status amongst the masses of the Somali Peninsula.

Araweello (Queen) Araweello was a legendary queen in ancient Somalia who is said to have subdued all men in her kingdom and promoted matriarchal values in stark contrast with the traditional patriarchal society of Somalia.

Wiilwaal (King) Wiil Waal was a legendary king in ancient Somalia known for his bravery and skills in battle.

Bucur Bacayr (King) Bucur Bacayr was a legendary king of the Yibirs in northern Somalia.

Arawelo , also known as Araweelo, Araweilo, and Arraweelo, was a Pagan Somali Queen in 15 AD.

Arawelo was a queen who ruled over what is today known as Somalia. Her throne was passed down by an unknown next of kin, though many version of her suggested that it was her niece, Araxsan. She was the first born of three daughters and natural heir to the dynasty. Like many female rulers, Arawelo fought for female empowerment; she believed society should be based on a matriarchy. Arawelo was known to castrate male prisoners and she is one of the earliest female rulers in the world who was also a figure of female empowerment. The queen was well known throughout Africa, and the Queen of Sheba was said to send gifts in the form of gold coins as a congratulatory gesture, although she is usually placed in the 10th century BC.

The queen was well known for defying gender roles, and in the case of the Buraan droughts (before she was queen) she and a team of women prevented the town from starvation and migration by hunting and fetching water. Arawelo's husband objected to her self-ascribed role as the breadwinner to all of society, as he thought women should be restrict themselves to merely domestic duties about the house and leave everything else to men. In response, Arawelo demanded that all women across the land abandon their womanly role in society, then she started hanging men by their testicles. The strike was successful in forcing men into the role of child rearing and to create a role reversal in society.

Arawelo saw women as natural peacekeepers so in her eyes a role reverse was necessary. Growing up she noticed that men were more often once instigators, participators and conductors of war. She did not only fight for the liberation of women in feudal society but for the dominance of women as she saw them as better, more efficient leaders.

Many regions of Somalia have cities or specific areas whose names corroborate the stories told in Somali mythology. Places such as Abudwaq, Ceel Waaq ("Well of God"wink and other similar towns with the name Waq in it suggest a relation to the old Waaq worship practiced in the Horn. The Tomb of Arawelo is another popular mythological place in Somalia said to be the final resting place of Queen Arraweello. In modern times, it is considered an important place for Somali women. (ancesor reverance)

3 Likes

Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by saintvc(m): 12:39am On Dec 04, 2013
Are you from somali
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by TerryCarr(m): 5:16am On Dec 04, 2013
cant really call it monotheism undecided

2 Likes

Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:21am On Dec 04, 2013
saintvc: Are you from somali

NO.

TerryCarr: cant really call it monotheism undecided
TerryCarr: cant really call it monotheism undecided

It is not.
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Ajuran: 8:48pm On Jan 05, 2014
This is beyond obsession. Psychological attention is needed.
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by barwaaqo: 2:12am On Jan 13, 2015
If you aren't Somali why do you post these things undecided
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by macof(m): 12:58pm On Jan 13, 2015
barwaaqo:
If you aren't Somali why do you post these things undecided

Education...sometimes to educate you Somalis on what you have forgotten about ur ancestral heritage

4 Likes

Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by barwaaqo: 5:40am On Jan 16, 2015
macof:

Education...sometimes to educate you Somalis on what you have forgotten about ur ancestral heritage

Teach then I want to know why you feel this is important. Somalia is 2500 miles from Nigeria so I want you to make us hear the point!
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by macof(m): 6:55am On Jan 16, 2015
barwaaqo:

Teach then I want to know why you feel this is important. Somalia is 2500 miles from Nigeria so I want you to make us hear the point!
why exactly do u hate urselves? It's obvious with this large Arab butt licking
Nt that many fooling Nigerians don't do same but Somalis seem so deep and probably lost in it
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Nobody: 10:28am On Jan 16, 2015
macof:
Nt that many fooling Nigerians don't do same but Somalis seem so deep and probably lost in it

Highly laughable, thank you.
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by macof(m): 5:51pm On Jan 16, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Highly laughable, thank you.

But it's true, Africa will remain a continent of unfocused nations until we take pride in the legacies of our Great ancestors

1 Like

Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by barwaaqo: 12:57am On Jan 17, 2015
macof:

Macof if you want to see a change then be apart of the change. Are you willing to go to Somalia or wherever they may be and teach them about this because many Somalis simply do not know.

Arab butt licking has to stop as well as european butt licking which Nigeria can do extremely well.

1 Like

Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Nobody: 1:11am On Jan 17, 2015
macof:

But it's true, Africa will remain a continent of unfocused nations until we take pride in the legacies of our Great ancestors

On the contrary, I think Africa needs to put her focus towards the future, and stop living in it's past to escape the present. The 'glory' of ancestors never saved anyone - it was their glory after all, and not ours.

I knew the above information beforehand, and I hold it as interesting and important for historical information's sake, but beyond that it's not of any use to us today. How does that obvious truth constitute to Arab-buttlicking? I understand that your main point of interest is Africans taking on ancestral religion - which is fine - but that does absolutely nothing re-focus Africa.

And how ironic is it that by bringing them up every which where for no particular reason, you're the one butt-licking Arabs and making them relevant?

1 Like

Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by barwaaqo: 1:37am On Jan 17, 2015
Our ancestors glory made them world rulers, the fault is that they gave too many the benefit of the doubt. When an adult gives a gun to a young baby it is too much benefit of the doubt here.

I would rather look back and improve the faults it can not be any more harmful to our present condition undecided

We must take a step back to go forward.

3 Likes

Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Puntite: 4:03am On Jan 17, 2015
Why the f'** are you guys discussing somali crap on a nigerian website?

1 Like

Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Fulaman198(m): 4:34am On Jan 17, 2015
Puntite:
Why the f'** are you guys discussing somali crap on a nigerian website?

Why do people discuss England, France, United States, Europe, China, etc on a Nigerian site?
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Puntite: 5:04am On Jan 17, 2015
Fulaman198:

Why do people discuss England, France, United States, Europe, China, etc on a Nigerian site?
Because nigerian issues aren't worth discussing!! bazinga!!
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Fulaman198(m): 5:17am On Jan 17, 2015
Puntite:

Because nigerian issues aren't worth discussing!! bazinga!!

Must be you troll of trolls Ajuran/Axum
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Nobody: 5:35am On Jan 17, 2015
Fulaman198:

It's freakin' crazy. There's like 5+ new ones.

1 Like

Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Maakhir(m): 5:38am On Jan 17, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Do not mention name in this
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Nobody: 5:40am On Jan 17, 2015
Maakhir:

Do not mention name in this

You were the first! Then came all the others, Puntite being the newest.

Get some help, Axum.
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Maakhir(m): 5:44am On Jan 17, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Get some help, Axum.

How was I the first?

And what did I do that can justify me being branded as Axum?

Is it the fatc that I'm Somali, 'cause I'm pretty sure you are too,

Enlightened Soul aka Axum cheesy
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Puntite: 5:45am On Jan 17, 2015
Fulaman198:

you know what! i like this monkey! he is quite intelligent!
care for a bisquit?
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Puntite: 5:46am On Jan 17, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Get some help, Axum.
MUUAHAHAHHAHA
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Maakhir(m): 5:46am On Jan 17, 2015
Puntite:

care for a bisquit?
Like I said before

f*ck off
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by axum: 5:53am On Jan 17, 2015
Maakhir:

How was I the first?

And what did I do that can justify me being branded as Axum?

Is it the fatc that I'm Somali, 'cause I'm pretty sure you are too,

Enlightened Soul aka Axum cheesy

I am everyone, Everyone is me.
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by axum: 5:55am On Jan 17, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Thats not me, I only have this identity, I never pretend or hide to be someone else, it defeats my entire purpose.

Your seal is mine
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Puntite: 6:41am On Jan 17, 2015
Maakhir:

Like I said before

f*ck off
take that nasty smelling negro dick out of your mouth when you speak to me! DISGUSTING!!
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Puntite: 6:45am On Jan 17, 2015
axum:

I am everyone, Everyone is me.
all hail the mighty axum
Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by macof(m): 9:12am On Jan 17, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

On the contrary, I think Africa needs to put her focus towards the future, and stop living in it's past to escape the present. The 'glory' of ancestors never saved anyone - it was their glory after all, and not ours.

I knew the above information beforehand, and I hold it as interesting and important for historical information's sake, but beyond that it's not of any use to us today. How does that obvious truth constitute to Arab-buttlicking? I understand that your main point of interest is Africans taking on ancestral religion - which is fine - but that does absolutely nothing re-focus Africa.

And how ironic is it that by bringing them up every which where for no particular reason, you're the one butt-licking Arabs and making them relevant?

Rebuilding and improving on Glory of ancestors past is the only way to rebuilding Great nations in Africa..we are naturally cultural people, and the ways of semites and aryans that we follow today has served us absolutely no gain instead it has destroyed our system, driven us crazy and more diverse than ever.
Africa cannot be united as one, even Europe.cannot...but we can take pride in our history.and heritage, learn from our own ancestors for change, for nothing less than 3 centuries we have given our all to follow ways strange to our nature and we have suffered for it, first the Arabs nd later the Europeans.
we don't have peace but religious violence, we don't have unity in our countries but ethnic diversity...who brought this upon Africa? The same people we want to keep following like sheep

1 Like

Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Maakhir(m): 11:46am On Jan 17, 2015
Puntite:

all hail the mighty axum

You are definitely axum.

Axum, why are you so hateful towards blacks?
Don't try giving me any b*llshit of this guy not being you.

care for a bisquit?

Don't go around calling people monkey, when you look like this

Fix your features first before insulting others

3 Likes

Re: Somali Religion & Mythology by Fulaman198(m): 2:57pm On Jan 17, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Yeah he's a disgrace

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

MMM: Redeemed Church Warns Pastors, Members Against Participating In Ponzi Schem / What If All These Things Are Really True? / Apostle Frank Ugochukwu Okah Gives A Groundnut Seller Cheque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.