Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? (22737 Views)

Meet The Woman Who Performed Caesarean Section On Herself. / Baby Weighing 6.10kg Born Without A caesarean Section.[picture] / Woman Performs Own Caesarean To Save Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by ebner70(m): 11:08pm On Dec 03, 2013
I seen midwives takin deliveries so many many times and have taken some a couple of times, trust me the sight is horrible and painful for husbands and mothers and the rate of women with botherline pelvis is gradually rising and also other indications for operative delivery. Many of this kids delivered by such mothers may end up with cerebral palsy, fractures and even some soft tissue injuries, sometimes death of baby plus or minus death of the mother. With CS, in less than 30 mins u have ur child and thankGod for spinal anaesthesia which can ensure the woman is awake all through there by no risk of aspiration.
Recently, Ȋ̝̊̅ saw a 13yr old girl with very small pelvis rejecting Cs and her relatives and husband supporting her until she developed VVF and also lost the baby.
Now my question is why do nigerian women always reject operative delivery even when it is very obvious they cn hv a normal delivery?

7 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by kkjoy(f): 12:03am On Dec 04, 2013
maybe they believe they can die in d process..... During my CS my baby was out in 15mins and i was out 10 mins after my baby... I think women just need to be educated on stuffs like this. The nite i was to have the CS i cried and hugged my mother telling her wat to do and wat not to do incase i dont make it out, chaii looking back now i laff at myself seriously. Next time if i am to have a CS done, i will just pray and walk amjestically into the theater

8 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by MrsAwesome: 5:55pm On Dec 04, 2013
I will opt for vaginal delivery next time. C S is a lifesaver but I did rather go for epidural with vaginal delivery than epi with C S if there is no medical emergency.I mean what's the point....for tighter VJ for MEN only for them them to cheat if they gets any chance......Hahaha .
No cutting...rather will sweat for kegel exercise.
It is a choice though....the pain before or the pain after...your choice.

5 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Blendy77(f): 6:15pm On Dec 04, 2013
Answer to your question is ignorance. Plain ignorance my Sister. I have had colleagues, friend and very close relatives (including my sister)who rejected CS and after hours of prolonged labour were still operated upon to save life of mother and child. If you ask them today why they rejected CS even after their Dr had told them its the last resort, the only answer they give is "I didnt know CS was like that".
A colleague of mine was told she can only deliver thru CS because her baby was breech. According to her, she decided to have the baby in her church (apostolic church or so) cos her pastor told her she will die if she delivers thru cs in the hospital. She was in labour for over 10 days in the church and couldnt give birth and in the process the baby died and she woke up in the hospital after going into comma. Ask me if this lady and her spouse are not graduates that cant read and write? Whenever this arguement comes up in the office, she still maintains that she would have died if she had delivered that baby via CS in the hospital. She has not been able to conceive since then. First class ignorance.

11 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by NosoChic: 9:11pm On Dec 04, 2013
Rightly said FIRST CLASS IGNORANCE......You will be surprised that some churches still preach against operations of any sort CS inclusive.

I just had an emergency appendectomy and believe it or not some people had advised I go spiritual and not have the surgery. I would have died a cheap death.

We all need to realize that the GOD given wisdom to doctors is for the benefit of man, and pray He takes control. Shikena

11 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by ebner70(m): 12:18am On Dec 05, 2013
My problem and annoyance dse days is the way some churches tend to deceive ladies, doctors depend on God for wisdom and guidiance durin such surgeries, bt y wld pastors make d doctor look bad most times wen he guarantees safe delivery only by cs. There are absolute and relative indications for cs, every child cn be delivered by womanly delivery, bt d question is 'wat wld be d outcome of such delivery'? Is the baby alive? If alive, does he run d risk of cerebral palsy and other physical challenges. Women be wise, and pastors pls work wt d doctor, his aim is to save lives

2 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Sissy3(f): 10:17am On Dec 05, 2013
I believe it also has to do with cultural/societal beliefs/ignorance. Many women are made to believe you aren't really a "real" woman if the baby didn't come from the birth canal. The pain, pushing, screaming, long hours etc are all part of the being "real woman" package. CS is often viewed as taking the "easy" way out. Imagine a fellow woman, insulting you for using "your stomach to born all your kids" during an unrelated argument? or people being so curious as the means you use in delivering your baby instead of truly being happy for you? It is no surprise some women will be more worried about what friends/people will say about them getting a CS than focusing on having a healthy baby.

4 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 05, 2013
Me I never knew people don't like discusing cs until I have friends who start having babies. When I was growing up, my grama n mum would say 'her life was only saved thru cs'. And I see it as a saver of life, why kill the baby and risk your life when you can't push enough?

@Blendy, is that colleague of us not a graduate or enlightened? Does she read her bible at all? Most times when I read the story of Rachel in the bible, I can really imagine the type of labour she passed thru, she died immediately after having Benjamin due to long labour, if then there was anything like cs would she have died? How ignorant can some be!! She caused the death of that baby and I pray she realise that and ask God for forgiveness so that God can give her another baby soon.

My colleague had her baby thru cs and when she told me about, ' pls c don't tell anyone in this office about it oo' me:ok, lips sealed. Lol, for which that cs was even sort of a miracle for her, her baby was really big, 5.2 or or, and all her effort to have her thru vjj was null, for over 12hrs in labour, the more the labour according to her she remembers no money this baby pls come out thru vjj, no money for cs'(maybe d labour pain also wiped away her memory, she forgot the company she is working for takes care of all her mother n child medical bill), until the doctor shouted at her to walk gently to the theatre. She cried oh, where is the money? Lol. The third day she was handed a paper to sign for the company to pay her bill.

Where as my other friend whose mum is a nurse in the UK already nursed her brain that, omo, no be crime nt to deliver thru vj ooo, once you can go on shout csssssssss, lol, my friend started shouting cs cs cs cs after about 20mins n no show. Drs go wait? Sharp sharp dem carry her go theatre.

People are so gullible and the fear of the unknown has made them believe whatever their pastors say. Not all pastors anyway, those who are well educated won't preach such, never, I have PHD as Pastors and they preach exclusively the word nt mixing it with fear to get people's attention.

That some are educated doesn't mean they are wholisticaly educated.

3 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by ebner70(m): 8:46pm On Dec 05, 2013
Many peeps we think are very educated knw very little abt dia health, most nigerians dnt even make budget for dia health in a month, health issues are usu in miscallaneous or emergency expenses, no wonder our people are very religious and patronise d nearest chemist for sm expired meds wen they fall sick

3 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 05, 2013
Me I never knew people don't like discusing cs until I have friends who start having babies. When I was growing up, my grama n mum would say 'her life was only saved thru cs'. And I see it as a saver of life, why kill the baby and risk your life when you can't push enough?

@Blendy, is that colleague of us not a graduate or enlightened? Does she read her bible at all? Most times when I read the story of Rachel in the bible, I can really imagine the type of labour she passed thru, she died immediately after having Benjamin due to long labour, if then there was anything like cs would she have died? How ignorant can some be!! She caused the death of that baby and I pray she realise that and ask God for forgiveness so that God can give her another baby soon.

My colleague had her baby thru cs and when she told me about, ' pls c don't tell anyone in this office about it oo' me:ok, lips sealed. Lol, for which that cs was even sort of a miracle for her, her baby was really big, 5.2 or or, and all her effort to have her thru vjj was null, for over 12hrs in labour, the more the labour according to her she remembers no money this baby pls come out thru vjj, no money for cs'(maybe d labour pain also wiped away her memory, she forgot the company she is working for takes care of all her mother n child medical bill), until the doctor shouted at her to walk gently to the theatre. She cried oh, where is the money? Lol. The third day she was handed a paper to sign for the company to pay her bill.

Where as my other friend whose mum is a nurse in the UK already nursed her brain that, omo, no be crime nt to deliver thru vj ooo, once you can go on shout csssssssss, lol, my friend started shouting cs cs cs cs after about 20mins n no show. Drs go wait? Sharp sharp dem carry her go theatre.

People are so gullible and the fear of the unknown has made them believe whatever their pastors say. Not all pastors anyway, those who are well educated won't preach such, never, I have PHD as Pastors and they preach exclusively the word nt mixing it with fear to get people's attention.

That some are educated doesn't mean they are wholisticaly educated.
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Adex097: 5:16pm On Dec 06, 2013
.sits on the front roll grin

*sips cuban coffee*

#Leggoo!!!

Sowii o..I miss road ni.
I tink say na fifa world cup draw thread I dey...

*runs outta thread*

»Modified«

4 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Jayses(m): 5:16pm On Dec 06, 2013
Pls what is caesarean .
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by satellitedaisy: 5:18pm On Dec 06, 2013
I ve had one normal delivery and two C/S and I still prefer normal delivery to C/S.

With normal delivery their is pain but its instantaneous, it is over once the baby is out but the pains of C/s last for months. Even after 4months, there are still some things I can't do with ease + that your tommy will take like forever to go down.

Secondly, fear of the unknown. Anything that partains to operation in this part of the world is fearful because we don't trust our medical experts. Anything can happen, like the doc being high on weeds grin grin

Thirdly, it is only possessed women(Ogbanje) that cannot deliver through the normal way. Lol grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:19pm On Dec 06, 2013
Because ordinary 'appendicitis' Not sure of spelling operation is still a death sentence in Nigeria, talkless of CS for a baby..

3 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Ikegift4real(m): 5:19pm On Dec 06, 2013
fear of naija doctors na him course am na.. ama ndi ana eze

3 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Vicjay1(m): 5:19pm On Dec 06, 2013
CS to me is safer and less streesful. But we live in a religious country where giving birth by CS is perceived a work of the devil.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Lastdon02(m): 5:21pm On Dec 06, 2013
Booked
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by kulikuli45: 5:21pm On Dec 06, 2013
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by mazizitonene(m): 5:23pm On Dec 06, 2013
They think its Unnatural
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Lastdon02(m): 5:23pm On Dec 06, 2013
Vic-jay:
CS to me is safer and less streesful. But we live in a religious country where giving birth by CS is perceived a work of the devil.

nice1
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by solasalako(m): 5:23pm On Dec 06, 2013
because the nigerian system is a killer. serial killer. carrying out c.operation with a kerosene lantern and touchlight. everything is wrong with the system..God help this country...ASUU qualified doctors.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Vicjay1(m): 5:23pm On Dec 06, 2013
kulikuli45: ...
under the influence of ur moniker and gold belg.
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Elizabethoni(f): 5:23pm On Dec 06, 2013
ebner70: I seen midwives takin deliveries so many many times and have taken some a couple of times, trust me the sight is horrible and painful for husbands and mothers and the rate of women with botherline pelvis is gradually rising and also other indications for operative delivery. Many of this kids delivered by such mothers may end up with cerebral palsy, fractures and even some soft tissue injuries, sometimes death of baby plus or minus death of the mother. With CS, in less than 30 mins u have ur child and thankGod for spinal anaesthesia which can ensure the woman is awake all through there by no risk of aspiration.
Recently, Ȋ̝̊̅ saw a 13yr old girl with very small pelvis rejecting Cs and her relatives and husband supporting her until she developed VVF and also lost the baby.
Now my question is why do nigerian women always reject operative delivery even when it is very obvious they cn hv a normal delivery?

Our doctors are simply not RELIABLE!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 06, 2013
Blendy77: Answer to your question is ignorance. Plain ignorance my Sister. I have had colleagues, friend and very close relatives (including my sister)who rejected CS and after hours of prolonged labour were still operated upon to save life of mother and child. If you ask them today why they rejected CS even after their Dr had told them its the last resort, the only answer they give is "I didnt know CS was like that".
A colleague of mine was told she can only deliver thru CS because her baby was breech. According to her, she decided to have the baby in her church (apostolic church or so) cos her pastor told her she will die if she delivers thru cs in the hospital. She was in labour for over 10 days in the church and couldnt give birth and in the process the baby died and she woke up in the hospital after going into comma. Ask me if this lady and her spouse are not graduates that cant read and write? Whenever this arguement comes up in the office, she still maintains that she would have died if she had delivered that baby via CS in the hospital. She has not been able to conceive since then. First class ignorance.
Wow.
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Lilaex: 5:25pm On Dec 06, 2013
See question shoo.! Google it..!
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by mazizitonene(m): 5:29pm On Dec 06, 2013
Drock4christ: .
Otondo!
Make ya lyf get full stop dia
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Big4wig(m): 5:29pm On Dec 06, 2013
Dem no wan die na

See grammar on top say mandela die:
**painful exist! * * Shocking lose! * *
Mandela is gun! * * We wil mix u! *
*Braking news! * * Foreva on our hats....
I jst saw som1 who wrote, "Why ar d gud
actors dieing,wot is Nollywood turning to,
RIP mandela, i'll miss ur film".
Must we all talk? O su mi ooo.

#BIGWIG

3 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by osymary: 5:32pm On Dec 06, 2013
[nothing ooooooooooo,just for the fear of not being ridiculed that YOU ARE NOT STRONG TO DELIVER UR BABY NORMALLY, nonsense
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Polio: 5:33pm On Dec 06, 2013
~Sissy~:
I believe it also has to do with cultural/societal beliefs/ignorance. Many women are made to believe you aren't really a "real" woman if the baby didn't come from the birth canal

SPOT ON!
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Sagytarius(m): 5:35pm On Dec 06, 2013
Jayses: Pls what is caesarean .
Caesarean is one who is given birth to through the method proposed by Julius Caesar.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

COVID-19: 6-Year-Old Girl Tests Positive In Jigawa / Coronavirus: Oxford University Early Trial Success Suggests “Double Protection”. / NAFDAC Exposes Dangers Of Prolonged Use Of Paracetamol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.