Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,182 members, 7,780,257 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:25 AM

FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU (26477 Views)

FG Pays Allowances Of Scholarship Students In Russia / ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities / ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by Daninoxy: 12:42am On Dec 04, 2013
Barely twenty four hours to the expiration of the 4 December ultimatum Federal Government gave members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to resume classes or be sacked, the federal government this morning bowed to one of the demands of the lecturers by paying N200 billion into an account opened with the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN.

Disclosing this on Channels Television programme ‘Sunrise Daily’ this morning, Dr. Doyin Okupe, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs confirmed that the N200b demanded by ASUU to be paid into an account with the CBN has been done. The amount is meant for renewal of infrastructure facilities in public universities in the country.

But ASUU President, Dr. Nasir Fage Isa, accused the government of being insincere in its dealing with the striking lecturers. He urged the government to respond to its letter demanding the fulfillment of some conditions for it to call off the strike.

Okupe said that from the government’s perspective, everything that needs to be done has been done and whether the strike would be called off or not now lies in the hands of the leadership of ASUU.

He said that most of the demands of the Academic Staff Union of Nigerian Universities, ASUU, have been agreed upon at the 13-hour meeting they had with the President in October.

“At the end of that meeting, the Government proposed that everything that has been agreed should be put in a memorandum of agreement and that the two parties should sign, but the leadership of ASUU declined and said instead of that, they would rather have a letter of comfort expressing everything that has been resolved therein, and that will suffice for them.”

According to him, the Government agreed to their request and issued the said letter based on the agreement that the strike would be called off within 7 days. However, this did not happen “in spite of the fact that the ASUU leadership presented the letter of comfort to its chapters nationwide and a clear majority of them endorsed the resolutions reached and actually were more inclined towards calling off the strike.”

Dr. Okupe stressed that the attitude of the ASUU leadership showed that the seed of discord and evidence of bad faith already existed. “It is unfortunate that somebody died but notwithstanding, that cannot be a justification for delaying the implementation of an agreement for 21 or more days.

Reading from the ‘Letter of Comfort’ issued by the Federal Government in agreement with the leadership of ASUU, the government agreed that Nigerian universities must be revitalized for effective service delivery, all the provisions in the agreement and MoU for the revitalization shall be fully implemented as captured in the 2012 Needs Assessment and the Federal Government shall mobilize resource towards this goal.

“Based on this, it was also agreed that a sum of N1.3 trillion shall be made available to ASUU over the next six years starting from December 2013 with (the sum of) N200 billion. The FGN therefore request that the ASUU shall within 7 days call off its 4 month strike.”

Contrary to the Federal Government’s expectation that ASUU would call off the strike, ASUU in another document said that they “could not call off the strike because of certain uncertainties or gaps that are evident in the government’s report.”

Okupe asked fiercely, “what are these uncertainties? He accused ASUU of turning around to again state four new conditions for the strike to be called off. They demanded that the agreed N200 billion should be deposited in an account at the Central Bank within 2 weeks, while the negotiation of the 2009 agreement should be included in the final document.

The ASUU, according to Okupe also demanded that a non-victimization clause should be included as well as a new MoU signed by the Attorney-General.

Dismissing their requests, he said a demand for a memorandum is a waste of people’s time because this is ideally what should follow any agreement made between two parties in the first place, and that by International Labour Laws which Nigeria is guided by, no one is expected to be victimized for going on strike.

He also said that ASUU, asking that the MoU with Federal Government should be signed by the Attorney-General “does not make sense” because anyone of high standing in government can sign for it. He added that an account has already been opened for the N200 billion they are requesting for in the Central Bank.

Okupe added that the government has shown commitment by meeting with the leadership of ASUU, and agreeing to its demands, considering that previous governments did not give them such an opportunity to sit down and discuss. He called on ASUU to do the right thing for the benefit of the nation.

“The Government cannot be seen to be contesting with any sector of the economy or the country. This President is interested in moving Nigeria forward through a very well-articulated transformation agenda.”

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/12/03/fg-bows-to-ASUU-n200b-paid-into-cbn/

2 Likes

Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by Ditoya(m): 1:08am On Dec 04, 2013
Nice ヽ(^。^)ノ
Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by Anasko(m): 2:53am On Dec 04, 2013
no comment.
Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by BARRISTERDAN(m): 4:39am On Dec 04, 2013
Me I don tire for all these ASUU matter. Before long, they may still demand that ACs be fitted in all their offices so as to aid their teaching the students. And who said the strike has been called off? Abeg na next year cos these year is already exhausted.
Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by delikay4luv: 4:57am On Dec 04, 2013
let's hope it's true
Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by fijiano202(m): 5:56am On Dec 04, 2013
Who fooling who.lets wait and see

1 Like

Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by vicdo: 6:05am On Dec 04, 2013
k
Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by falconey(m): 6:29am On Dec 04, 2013
I missed the part of "ASUU STRIKE CALLED OFF"
Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by Nobody: 7:19am On Dec 04, 2013
Where is the stew, source sauce

2 Likes

Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by InwehAkpevwe(m): 7:21am On Dec 04, 2013
a̶̲̥̅̊nϑ does dat mean that the strike has been called off

1 Like

Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by Sard(m): 7:24am On Dec 04, 2013
I saw something similar to this on NTA early this morning. Now that FG has done the needful, let's hope ASUU also liberate our students.
Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by sos4god: 8:31am On Dec 04, 2013
ASUU make nay consider d students abeg
Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by Lionbite(m): 8:46am On Dec 04, 2013
Tomorrow News- 'we did not call of any strike'--ASUU

3 Likes

Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by emmanugo: 8:57am On Dec 04, 2013
Lionbite: Tomorrow News- 'we did not call of any strike'--ASUU
corect guy..e b lik say na only me n u undastand dis movie sotei we fit predict d next scenes

3 Likes

Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by Tuntheycr7: 8:57am On Dec 04, 2013
@ChannelsTV_NG: ASUU Strike: Okupe says this governement has shown committment. Have they had the chance to meet any previous President before?

1 Like

Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by mikedaniel76gmailcom(m): 9:01am On Dec 04, 2013
source please!
Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by eluquenson(m): 9:04am On Dec 04, 2013
FG knows that majority have not resumed & they can't sack everybody. They are tryin to see if majority will resume. Before they gave d ultimatum they forgot that Iyayi will be buried. Who are they fooling? FG is as useless as the 'P' in Psychology

4 Likes

Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by smileoly(f): 9:35am On Dec 04, 2013
They will resume, maybe they will even discuss it at the burial. If 60% agreed 2 FG's promises b4 d Iyayi's death, they will agree now. ASUU is not unreasonable. By next week we may see felicitation on channels and AIT where ASUU is wishing FG and all nigerian students "merry christmas and a happy new year". Then NTA news will then show ASUU president, Wike,Okonjo-iweala and Okupe, joking,laughing,shaking and giving each other pats on the back for successfully engaging nigerians in d most entertaining popular 5 months event in a long time.
LONG LIVE THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.
eluquenson: FG knows that majority have not resumed & they can't sack everybody. They are tryin to see if majority will resume. Before they gave d ultimatum they forgot that Iyayi will be buried. Who are they fooling? FG is as useless as the 'P' in Psychology

4 Likes

Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by Mbatagr82(m): 10:28am On Dec 04, 2013
Even though i have wasted 5 months doing nothing at home, i will still remain gratefull to ASUU. Hoping that one day i will be a better leader. Wish i could attend Iyayi's burial.

4 Likes

Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by Sermwell(m): 10:30am On Dec 04, 2013
Mbatagr82: Even though i have wasted 5 months doing nothing at home, i will still remain gratefull to ASUU. Hoping that one day i will be a better leader. Wish i could attend Iyayi's burial.
mtscheews!! Fool!

9 Likes

Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by sakaguchi(m): 10:51am On Dec 04, 2013
I didn't see the part that says "Strike called off".
If only you know how sick your lecturers are, you wouldn't be this sure on your prediction.

1 Like

Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by Olugbenger(m): 11:11am On Dec 04, 2013
Thrash undecided
Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 04, 2013
Thank God.
Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by Janem: 1:09pm On Dec 04, 2013
sumone shud wake me up
Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by Nobody: 2:04pm On Dec 04, 2013
Gamble

2 Likes

Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by eluquenson(m): 2:05pm On Dec 04, 2013
Hmm greedy govt, I thought they are broke before, why paying now

1 Like

Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by superior1: 2:07pm On Dec 04, 2013
He is finally getting some [size=13pt]CLUES[/size]
Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by KillMoves: 2:07pm On Dec 04, 2013
Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by 4reigningqueen: 2:08pm On Dec 04, 2013
hmmm
Re: FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU by Matri10(m): 2:08pm On Dec 04, 2013
Good news.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

KASU Suspends Students Who Beat Up NDA Cadets / 10 Students You Should Not Sit With If You Did Not Read For An Exam / Is This The Highest Score So Far At The Ongoing Jamb?… Checkout This Jamb Score

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.