Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,540 members, 7,808,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

Let's Discuss (learners World) - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Let's Discuss (learners World) (1463 Views)

Have You Been Attending Interviews Without Success? Come In Let's Discuss!! / Registered For YOUWIN 2015? Come In And Let's Discuss / Let's Discuss Job/career And Apartment Vacanices In USA Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Discuss (learners World) by Tmany(m): 8:08am On Dec 04, 2013
It's no news that the labour market is a cut throat world for the job seekers.
My main reason of creating this thread is for us to help each other out.
An average recruitment process include a test and interviews (in some case a from of assessment is done case study, behaviour study).
My first interview was not really cool cause I was asked some questions which I later got to know my answers were naive.
Test is a personal thing you can get materials to study online.
But interview I believe is a no man's landgrin
What questions have you been asked in an interview and what was your response.
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Tmany(m): 8:35am On Dec 04, 2013
okay let's start with the most common question introduce yourself?
I went to an interview recently and one of the interviewer (it was a panel interview) was not pleased with the way I introduced myself.
My name is...... Am 2* years old I was born and raised in lagos, am a graduate of university of..... Where I studied statistics, my strengths are.......... And I will love to be part this organisation. (I just finished my nysc Oct so no job experience and the interview was for a graduate training placement)
embarassed
Where did I mess up cause the next thing the woman said is "no interesting things about yourself''shocked
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by davide470(m): 9:13am On Dec 04, 2013
Tmany:
Where did I mess up cause the next thing the woman said is "no interesting things about yourself''shocked
That's the same thing I would have said if I was in her shoes.

What are your skills?
What motivates you? Are you a team player?
Professional membership and achievements?
Leadership qualities.. Both Univ. and NYSC days

Give them these and I tell you, the next question would come with a smile.
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Tmany(m): 9:32am On Dec 04, 2013
davide470:
That's the same thing I would have said if I was in her shoes.

What are your skills?
What motivates you? Are you a team player?
Professional membership and achievements?
Leadership qualities.. Both Univ. and NYSC days

Give them these and I tell you, the next question would come with a smile.
Bro can you elaborate about the skills part.
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Nobody: 9:34am On Dec 04, 2013
I luv dis **adjusting my spectacles**

Havn't really attended a formal interview so am sooo subscribing 2 dis..lemme get ma notepad smiley

**pulls chairs, sits n crosses legs**
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Nobody: 9:39am On Dec 04, 2013
Tmany:
Bro can you elaborate about the skills part.
I tink dats mor lyk wat differentiates u frm other candidates..

Communication skills, prolly som crazy IT knw-hw, analytical skills, attention to details, ability to identify key prblms and prospects in business, ability to prioritize, ability to motivate,...

If am nt mistaken dat iz..

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Tmany(m): 9:49am On Dec 04, 2013
Monsieur Pete: I luv dis **adjusting my spectacles**

Havn't really attended a formal interview so am sooo subscribing 2 dis..lemme get ma notepad smiley

**pulls chairs, sits n crosses legs**
Bro that the reason for this thread so you get to put your best foot forward when given the chance
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Tmany(m): 10:02am On Dec 04, 2013
Monsieur Pete:
I tink dats mor lyk wat differentiates u frm other candidates..

Communication skills, prolly som crazy IT knw-hw, analytical skills, attention to details, ability to identify key prblms and prospects in business, ability to prioritize, ability to motivate,...

If am nt mistaken dat iz..
I covered most of this when listing my strengths including been a team player.
I failed to mention my leader qualities and what motivates me.
Thruthfully I never really been a scholar so how will educational achievement work.
I seriously don't believe in just having professional certificate (if am to mention a professional certificate, I think the certificate I mention ought to be related to the vacancy In question) it's all about packing grin
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by davide470(m): 10:16am On Dec 04, 2013
Tmany, what did you study?

Basically, the FOUNDATION skill of every entry level is Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and Powerpoint). Skill set are also professionally choosey and there are classified into: Hard Skills and Soft Skills
Say a Chemical Engineer like me, need to master or have a basic knowledge of process and design softwares (ASPEN HYSYS, PRO II, Excel et al), other aspect of engineering (CCNA, AutoCAD, MultiSM, Caeser, Eclipse etc) Accounting peeps (SAGE, Peachtree, IFRS Methodology et al) and so on. All these are hard skills.

Soft skills is also called People skills: how you flow with pple, how you work with team, can you be a good manager, can you work well with the opposite sex, couple with what Monsieur Pete said.
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Nobody: 10:21am On Dec 04, 2013
This is going to be educational..hope to learn and contribute too..good thread tmany
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Tmany(m): 10:26am On Dec 04, 2013
^^^Statistics
Got the skills aspect
I feel if I say all this my answer will be lengthy.
Learnt a lot
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Nobody: 10:29am On Dec 04, 2013
One of the most impt thing I know that gives people edge over another during interviews is knowing what the company wants and channelling your answers towards that..

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Tmany(m): 10:36am On Dec 04, 2013
@vivi have been to just 3 interviews you could contribute alot also.
Those questions you been asked and you felt hmhm this interviewer is wicked share let discuss.
And if there is any experienced HR personnel in house you could also give us some point on mistakes you have seen job seekers (more attention on fresh graduate) make in interviews.
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Nobody: 1:10pm On Dec 04, 2013
From d little information i'v com across i think interview questions could either be general or competency based.

Wat i mean is..
The intro usually sets d pace (i mean d general aspect) and mor questions com up from wat u say and hw u ansa questions.

If we take d instance Tmany gave.."Tell us abt u" or "May we meet u"..d mor u ansa d mor points for questioning ar raised.

On the other hand, the competency based ar structured in a set pattern (nt strictly tho') such dat the interviewer already knw the kind of information they want u to gv so they cn assess u according to their own indices...dats wen u see questions like "Tell us abt a time wen..."
Jst ma little observation and contribution. smiley

Peace grin
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Tmany(m): 10:32pm On Dec 04, 2013
^^^nice every informative.
I can know what the interviewer is looking for from the first two question.
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Nobody: 11:51am On Dec 08, 2013
A thread such as this shouldn't be left in d deserts...we still need as much shared experiences and ideas as possible. Let's nt let it die out. More contributions pls

Thanks
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 08, 2013
I haven't been to any job interview, so can't really say..
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 08, 2013
vivichocs: I haven't been to any job interview, so can't really say..
Me neither..dats y its called "Learners World" grin
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by rodeo0070(m): 7:38pm On Dec 08, 2013
Space booked...
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by clun(f): 10:30pm On Dec 08, 2013
Why di you want to work with us or
Why should we hire you. tongue
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Tmany(m): 1:14am On Dec 09, 2013
clun: Why di you want to work with us or
Why should we hire you. tongue
one day this the reply i will give "you blind you no see all the certificate i done organise you think say he easy, i come reach here you dey ask me why you should hire me? i came to see your face ni before, abi no be for you to hire me oga pack well next question jor"

Have been asked both question this was my reply

why do you want to work for us? I already did my Home work on the company and its achievements, so i just started with what i already know about the company, i even hype them then i now related it to my personal career goal and what i will be able to contribute, stating that it has always been my dreams to work theregrin

why should we hire you? i just listed my skills and strength relating it to job and how they will help me perform well (i think the question is just to show you the right candidate for the job)expecting modification and
better response to the question

@pete when i opened the thread i was really hoping it will be like a thread people will be able to use as interview material hoping some veteran interview takes will join soon
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Nobody: 5:40am On Dec 09, 2013
Hw much do we pay you? undecided
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Tmany(m): 6:25am On Dec 09, 2013
Monsieur Pete: Hw much do we pay you? undecided
you wouldn't contribute to the other question:-/
just do your research before hand know the salary range for the position.
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Nobody: 8:03am On Dec 09, 2013
Monsieur Pete: Hw much do we pay you? undecided
you can just answer that as a reputable company, you know they must have salary scales for different positions, they should just pay you the amount commiserate to your position..

When they insist on you giving them a figure, you can now answer based on the research you have made...just my thought
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Nobody: 10:28am On Dec 09, 2013
clun: Why do you want to work with us
Cld be because they have d best training, cld be because d company ethics matches yours, cld be because of certain xclusive opportunities like global travel n exposure, periodic seminars, cld also be because of company culture of employee welfare, d challenging work environment, adventure and thrill et.c

clun: Why should we hire you.
Cld be because of relevant trainings u hv done, previous xperiences u hv, soft skills, a prblm u hv identified in the system and u'r confident u hv a solution to it..et.c

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Nobody: 6:30pm On Dec 09, 2013
I treated most of your concerns in this article: http://www.jarushub.com/common-interview-questions-and-answer-tips/

But I will be offering more on the thread.
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 09, 2013
_
Re: Let's Discuss (learners World) by Tmany(m): 8:03pm On Dec 09, 2013
Jarus: I treated most of your concerns in this article: http://www.jarushub.com/common-interview-questions-and-answer-tips/

But I will be offering more on the thread.
Have read a lot of tips on common interview questions but this is different logical examples and relatable.
Boss how can I contact you need some career advice.

(1) (Reply)

Annoying / Boring Interview Questions / Contemporary Group Calling For Written Test / Vacancy Vacancy Vacancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.