Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,252 members, 7,807,856 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? (13980 Views)

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 / Five Ridiculous Questions With Obvious Answers Asked In Nollywood Movies / Five Ways Hollywood Movies Are As Bad As Nollywood Movies. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by CodeHouse: 4:29pm On Dec 08, 2013
Well..I personally pay attention to the little details..have u noticed in some naija films where u see the reflection of the camera men from a parked car?
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by OlamideGirl(f): 4:34pm On Dec 08, 2013
teegrams: In the first place, how did they come about the name Nollywood An attempt to copy Hollywood and the trend didnt stop at that,they keep trying to copy,no fact is disputed Naija film maker dey try buh they still suck..i think they need to keep their shit real undecided
wat will u nw say about bollywood or ghollywood.......abeg do ur research well b4 typin jhare

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by homesteady(m): 4:38pm On Dec 08, 2013
Na wa oh! Human beings are never satisfied! On this same front page where this topic is, there is another thread talking about BBC response to why they always show the bad parts of Africa! What do you people really want?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by thegeorgy(f): 4:39pm On Dec 08, 2013
i think nollywood movie and their luxuries is not that bad,for example,i have been told severally that ''u guys have nice houses in africa/Nigeria" and i was like huh?what do you mean?they will be like no offense intended but they believe Africa was all about poverty and suffering and seeing those nice houses and beautiful stuffs makes them want to visit Africa.So for me i dont have a problem with them been flashy,the only problem i have with their story line is the ''IGWE THINGS like everybody comes from a royal household or the same story line of parents wanting you to marry this one and you want another bla bla.or the campus runs girls or the voodoo things.thats what bores me. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by nuelski10: 5:07pm On Dec 08, 2013
Lol....stop comparing hollywood and nollywood pls...my only problem with nollywood movies is indecency...i cant buy a movie without seeing girls wearing only pant with their hands covering their boobs or a guy f.^.cking them...and you cant learn anything from the movie....too much adverts,sex,party,runs babes,yahoo boys,ThE END.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 08, 2013
homesteady: Na wa oh! Human beings are never satisfied! On this same front page where this topic is, there is another thread talking about BBC response to why they always show the bad parts of Africa! What do you people really want?

They are confused! embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Dec 08, 2013
Ranchhoddas: @speedyboi,ur post is one of the most stuupid posts i have ever read on nairaland i swear.a single person defeating a battalion always has an explanation say-the person is a highly skilled marksman,swordsman,etc.your statement tells me that you do not follow the dialogues in the movies you see.(read subtitles for your own good).you talk of many people going one after the other to fight a person instead of going at once to fight the person(i just dey laugh)-have you been in a crowd fight before?i guess not.you talk of slumdog millionaire,it is an adaptation of a book of the same name by vikas swarup,i guess what you saw was wat was in the book(i've read the book but i've not seen the movie).about russia,korea,and africa-for real?wat kind of movies do you watch?i know the nigeria depicted in monique's phat girls was almost better than the nigeria i know.pls i am tired of this crap.stop celebrating wat is below mediocrity eg heart transplant in one dingy room(yes that is how bad nollywood can get).pls follow dialogues attentively abeg.NOLLYWOOD IS BEYOND BAD!! PS:i am waiting for a movie titled ASUU strike, or 'go and die' cos i've seen oga at the top.that is how idiiotic they can be...QED
dz guy z dull.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by obailala(m): 5:16pm On Dec 08, 2013
speedyboi: Hypocrisy!
Shallow thinking!
and more full this thread!

Of all things to criticize in the industry, this is what you think is important?

If you want to start criticizing delusional movies (leaving behind the fact that movies are not documentaries and not necessarily meant to be 'the real situation'), Hollywood movies and all other woods will come before Nollywood!

what will you say about;
A. -A single criminal defeating a battalion of well trained soldiers like say na ice-cream dem dey drink for army their whole life. Is that the situation in real life?
-In a movie like Olympus has fallen for instance; first part of the attack in white house, the Police or whoever were practically coming out of the building to be killed. I'm sure 'the grrreaat' american police force wouldn't be so dumb in real life, would they? undecided,
-Or in all action movies where lots of people could've taken the criminal at once, but they always prefer to go one by one... to be killed ofcourse - How realistic is that?

B. -And that sh/itty british movie titled slum dog millionaire where people in the slums can speak proper english. Is that the real situation in India?
-OR another unrealistic part: the real slum little boys they used in the beginning spoke Hindi; then the India little actors (who were obviously from middle/high class family in real life) they used when the boys grew up (like 11years kinda) suddenly started to speak proper English without attending school! How real is that anywhere in the world?
-OR the who wants to be a millionaire questions that were turning out as 'fate' BS. - please save me! And the cheap questions that were being asked sef: Infact, who wants to be a millionaire in Nigeria have asked the name of 3 musketeers as a first question before, but lo and behold, that was the ultimate question in the who wants to be a millionaire in our 'slumdog'. mtcheeeew...what A load of crap!

C. Or about anywhere apart from US, UK, Australia and likes being depicted as the worst place on earth in hollywood movies. No? Lemme tell you what a typical shallow minded person thinks about these countries due to 'HOLLYWOOD'
- Russia / Russians - Terrorist Nation
- Korea - Terrorist nation
- Africa - Jungle with people and animals whining and dining together (even though me wey they live here have never seen a wild animal in my life sef). Other times, Africa is a desert with no houses.
- And probably the first movie they will shoot in India, India is already being given the first impression of a slum! And another stereotype begins!
And incase you haven't noticed, almost every bad guy in American movies always have foreign accents!

C. And 'about accents of people who arrive from abroad' that people always complain about...the fact is their accents are as shitty as the ones foreign actors speak in movies about other countries (despite the 'language coach' they get). There's no movie where actors are expected to speak like another country that the people of the country didn't complain about the accents. Even british people complain about Charlize Theron's accent in the movie 'Snow White and Huntsman). That's just how it is; unless you've lived somewhere for a while, you can never have their accent! If na to say few words, then the language coaching might be effective.

Conclusion: Delusional stuffs is not limited to Nollywood! Infact, it is mean't to happen! Why? Because it is a movie! There are are better things to discuss improvement on. It's good to point out things like this, but you need to know, it's not a reason to bash any industry!
Gbam!.. you have said it all

We live in Nigeria, so we know what is realistic and what is not about our country... What baffles me however is how we sit in Nigeria and praise hollywood movies for portraying the 'real life' American situation when the only knowledge we have for comparison about the 'real life' America is from what we see in hollywood movies.. poor comparison I must say

The truth is that ALL movies are unrealistic... nollywood, bollywood, hollywood etc... that's why it's a movie. The same way we complain that our movies are not real, that's also the way Americans complain that movies are not real. Someone said in nollywood u see a villager speaking queens english but remember in hollywood, scientists fly to a planet where no man has ever been before yet the inhabitants of that planet speak pure english with an american accent grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by pendo89(f): 5:17pm On Dec 08, 2013
anthony500: The worst? A certa film I stumbled upon in a hair salon: AFRICAN MICHAEL JACKSON. Most terrible film ever! no most terrible video file ever angry

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 08, 2013
obailala:
The truth is that ALL movies are unrealistic... nollywood, bollywood, hollywood etc... that's why it's a movie. The same way we complain that our movies are not real, that's also the way Americans complain that movies are not real. Someone said in nollywood u see a villager speaking queens english but remember in hollywood, scientists fly to a planet where no man has ever been before yet the inhabitants of that planet speak pure english with an american accent grin grin

*Chokes on garri*

Lobatan cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Crixina(f): 5:45pm On Dec 08, 2013
speedyboi: Hypocrisy!
Shallow thinking!
and more full this thread!

Of all things to criticize in the industry, this is what you think is important?

If you want to start criticizing delusional movies (leaving behind the fact that movies are not documentaries and not necessarily meant to be 'the real situation'), Hollywood movies and all other woods will come before Nollywood!

what will you say about;
A. -A single criminal defeating a battalion of well trained soldiers like say na ice-cream dem dey drink for army their whole life. Is that the situation in real life?
-In a movie like Olympus has fallen for instance; first part of the attack in white house, the Police or whoever were practically coming out of the building to be killed. I'm sure 'the grrreaat' american police force wouldn't be so dumb in real life, would they? undecided,
-Or in all action movies where lots of people could've taken the criminal at once, but they always prefer to go one by one... to be killed ofcourse - How realistic is that?

B. -And that sh/itty british movie titled slum dog millionaire where people in the slums can speak proper english. Is that the real situation in India?
-OR another unrealistic part: the real slum little boys they used in the beginning spoke Hindi; then the India little actors (who were obviously from middle/high class family in real life) they used when the boys grew up (like 11years kinda) suddenly started to speak proper English without attending school! How real is that anywhere in the world?
-OR the who wants to be a millionaire questions that were turning out as 'fate' BS. - please save me! And the cheap questions that were being asked sef: Infact, who wants to be a millionaire in Nigeria have asked the name of 3 musketeers as a first question before, but lo and behold, that was the ultimate question in the who wants to be a millionaire in our 'slumdog'. mtcheeeew...what A load of crap!

C. Or about anywhere apart from US, UK, Australia and likes being depicted as the worst place on earth in hollywood movies. No? Lemme tell you what a typical shallow minded person thinks about these countries due to 'HOLLYWOOD'
- Russia / Russians - Terrorist Nation
- Korea - Terrorist nation
- Africa - Jungle with people and animals whining and dining together (even though me wey they live here have never seen a wild animal in my life sef). Other times, Africa is a desert with no houses.
- And probably the first movie they will shoot in India, India is already being given the first impression of a slum! And another stereotype begins!
And incase you haven't noticed, almost every bad guy in American movies always have foreign accents!

C. And 'about accents of people who arrive from abroad' that people always complain about...the fact is their accents are as shitty as the ones foreign actors speak in movies about other countries (despite the 'language coach' they get). There's no movie where actors are expected to speak like another country that the people of the country didn't complain about the accents. Even british people complain about Charlize Theron's accent in the movie 'Snow White and Huntsman). That's just how it is; unless you've lived somewhere for a while, you can never have their accent! If na to say few words, then the language coaching might be effective.

Conclusion: Delusional stuffs is not limited to Nollywood! Infact, it is mean't to happen! Why? Because it is a movie! There are are better things to discuss improvement on. It's good to point out things like this, but you need to know, it's not a reason to bash any industry!
well I don't get what you are trying to prove here,but let me just assume I did,you are saying that hollywood also does the crappy things nollywood does.

Ok first of all,majorly movies should be entertaining(that means it should be able to take your mind away from the disturbing issues at hand)one should get lost in it,that's where suspense comes in,I'm sorry but most of our nollywood do not offer this.

you know the beauty about crap is packaging(making something silly appealling)and that's where hollywood has got it all,they are both crap right? But I will gladly be stuck to a badazz taking out an entire police force than be stuck with Mercy Johnson in a 5mins long verbal war with Ini Edo over who stole whose boyfriend.in other words no appealing action.

About the accent part,who really cares abt how the tongue rolls,when they are other juicy offers to tick you off.

Bottom line:they may all be crap but the difference is pretty clear.all other points of urs,I don't need to say more.

ALL HAIL NOLLYWOOD though.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Ranchhoddas: 5:57pm On Dec 08, 2013
OlamideGirl: words cumin out of a retard......smh.....hw can a movie reduce ur IQ....just tell us d IQ is reduced already instead of lookin 4 wat to blame it on
it's obvious you love nollywood movies that's why these comments annoy you.But what,pray tell have you learnt from a nollywood movie apart from the fact that a pastor can solve all your problems?
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by LadyH(f): 6:10pm On Dec 08, 2013
lol. the exaggeration in dis post tho!

I cnt help buh agree wid some points buh lyk someone pointd out earlier on, e no stop 4 nollywood.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by joshjc(m): 6:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
CastingCrowns: Ave noticed most nollywood movies dont portray the happenings in Nigeria,everyone lives in palatial mansions complete with exotic super-cars parked all around the huge garage,the meals are eaten on dining tables complete with cutleries and the latest china in town,the phonetics are non-Nigerian,the clothes worn are designer duds complete with luxury bags even a character playing a poor person drives a ferrari....Nollywood i watch their movies for the laughs....if they wanna represent us properly on the world stage its high time they make realistic movies not delusional films depicting utopic place
my guy stop watching those ,go and watch Mr IBU and others
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by joshjc(m): 6:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
CastingCrowns: Ave noticed most nollywood movies dont portray the happenings in Nigeria,everyone lives in palatial mansions complete with exotic super-cars parked all around the huge garage,the meals are eaten on dining tables complete with cutleries and the latest china in town,the phonetics are non-Nigerian,the clothes worn are designer duds complete with luxury bags even a character playing a poor person drives a ferrari....Nollywood i watch their movies for the laughs....if they wanna represent us properly on the world stage its high time they make realistic movies not delusional films depicting utopic place
my guy stop watching those ,go and watch Mr IBU movies
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Richy4(m): 6:42pm On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Which graduates villagers are in the village. The ones that are there are in the minority. I'm talking about the real villagers. Even a lot of people in the city cannot speak good english while some cannot speak at all. Let alone people in the village. Most people in the village are English illiterates, so i'm shocked that they could be made to speak English in movies.

I am happy you realize that there are minority graduates in the village. so your argument now is that if those in the city cannot speak good English apparently, those in the village cannot. and you forgot that most of them went to secondary school. and you equally forgot that the best place to learn english language was in secondary school and not even the universities.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by vickyO(f): 6:47pm On Dec 08, 2013
speedyboi: ^^^^^

That's why I said people should start criticising with sense! You don't just open your mouth and close it cos you wan join the caucus of gutter critics.

And I don't get angry smiley. Or is being blunt your definition of anger?
Ok, I get you now.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by DonnaJocasta(f): 6:52pm On Dec 08, 2013
Ƨ̷̜ђƸ̵ industry is trying sha,,but wat baffles •̸Ϟ ̷̷̴̐͠€ most is ​Wε̲̣̣̣̥n u c a gal acting Ƨ̷̜ђƸ̵ role of a village n low life gal in a movie,,, probably living in a thatch house,buh ul c ha fixing vry long eye lashes n nails,,its rili ridiculous,,,jeez!!!
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by vickyO(f): 6:54pm On Dec 08, 2013
If you all watch black american movies, you'll see how well they portray their roles but it isn't the same with majority of Nigerian movies....
Nollywood needs more experienced crew members...... I can see us getting there.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Oluwaseytiano(m): 6:55pm On Dec 08, 2013
the_ripper3: What have we learnt from

World War Z
Drinking buddies
2 guns
Pain and gain

and worst of all is "Machete kills", a movie so irritating, u could puke literally and the stupid movie is on Box office.

I ain't a Nollywood afficionado but they have their pros and cons just like a Hollywood movie where i am made to believe Sylvester stallione can whoop a whole battalion in an unfamiliar terrain or say if cat or spider bite me, i go turn cat boy or spiderman. These movies appeal to a particular audience (nollywood, ghollywwod and hollywood) and we honestly have to stop this jaundiced view about nollywood.
do u know movies have genres?
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Afam4eva(m): 6:59pm On Dec 08, 2013
Richy.:

I am happy you realize that there are minority graduates in the village. so your argument now is that if those in the city cannot speak good English apparently, those in the village cannot. and you forgot that most of them went to secondary school. and you equally forgot that the best place to learn english language was in secondary school and not even the universities.
My friend, i'm talking of old men and women who probably never stepped their foot in a school or stopped at the primary school level. Which village are you from btw?
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Oluwaseytiano(m): 7:02pm On Dec 08, 2013
ipad:

See, you and your oga at the top (speedyboi) couldn't be more wrong: Do americans lie in their movie? Of course. Do they have stereotipical opinions about people of other nationalities? Very yes.... But do they sell the idea effectively with "make believe" in their movies? Another resounding YES.

The issue is with the delivery, not with the message...

Titamic the movie, is 3hrs long, and you would sit down and watch it over and over again (I have seen it more than 10 times) and although what they're telling us is a lie, it is still an enjoyable lie.

They have mastered the world of "make believe" that they can sell any lie to anyone enjoyably....

Hold it, before you rubbish my post, mention one hollywood film you've seen and enjoyed, and a nollywood film that you feel equally passionate about. Do a side by side comparison, and you'll realise that our 9ja people still have a lot of work in the make believe world....

In fact don't go too far, watch an average 9ja music video, and you'll see the magic of make believe in action.

You can see that I'm not being unpatriotic, I just refuse to celebrate mediocrity. That's all.
titanic is actually a true story
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Dec 08, 2013
@Poster, I pray the almighty God blesses you. I've always been wondering why this is so, about 70 percent of major character(tho , no research done yet grin) in our movies are always living exotic and sophisticated lives. This is pure Irony compare to the situation in Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by OlamideGirl(f): 8:19pm On Dec 08, 2013
Ranchhoddas: it's obvious you love nollywood movies that's why these comments annoy you.But what,pray tell have you learnt from a nollywood movie apart from the fact that a pastor can solve all your problems?
yeah i love both nolly n holly.....but who else do u xpect 2 solve all d problem,superman abi spiderman?....habatically......bros dis zz AFRICA nw......wat ve u also gained frm d hollywood too
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Robertbh(m): 8:31pm On Dec 08, 2013
I swr i hate all these recent movies. I prefer all those village lifestyle movies. Aki & popo were acting as children & samloko dere papa
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by miss2895(f): 8:37pm On Dec 08, 2013
Dannylux: I don't expect much from them.. low budget, short time casting, more quantity - lesser quality. It's all about the damn money.

You gotta give the public what they will pay for. Those who patronize them don't seem to be bothered with the delusions.. so why would they change?

Most of us who have been actively watching Hollywood movies, sci-fi can hardly be impressed with what we see in Nollywood. Even when they do It's just for the comedy.

u ar right. Imagine nollywood acting a film lik Thor?
Hw will dey go abt it?
Who will play dat role?
The thought alone its hilarious.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Ranchhoddas: 9:04pm On Dec 08, 2013
OlamideGirl: yeah i love both nolly n holly.....but who else do u xpect 2 solve all d problem,superman abi spiderman?....habatically......bros dis zz AFRICA nw......wat ve u also gained frm d hollywood too
smh
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Ranchhoddas: 9:10pm On Dec 08, 2013
It's saddening that people still try to justify the nonsense called nollywood#unfollows thread with a heavy heart#
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by ifebosco: 9:12pm On Dec 08, 2013
make money quick mentality will follow,ritualist will follow and so on.....
the rot in the country continues
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by OlamideGirl(f): 9:30pm On Dec 08, 2013
miss2895: u ar right. Imagine nollywood acting a film lik Thor?
Hw will dey go abt it?
Who will play dat role?
The thought alone its hilarious.
y will nollywood act a film like thor at first.....think about dat......does it av a correlation with 9ja abi africa.....smh

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by OlamideGirl(f): 9:39pm On Dec 08, 2013
Ranchhoddas: It's saddening that people still try to justify the nonsense called nollywood#unfollows thread with a heavy heart#
dude....one man fud z anoda man poison.......atlist half a loaf z beta dan none......if u cant contribute to make it beta den waka pass.....nobody begs u 2 watch dre movie bfr so y re u pained.....i dnt knw wat u r lookin 4 in dis thread at 4st....bad belle

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by mimicue(f): 9:41pm On Dec 08, 2013
nuelski10: Lol....stop comparing hollywood and nollywood pls...my only problem with nollywood movies is indecency...i cant buy a movie without seeing girls wearing only pant with their hands covering their boobs or a guy f.^.cking them...and you cant learn anything from the movie....too much adverts,sex,party,runs babes,yahoo boys,ThE END.

Assin that's d latest now for them...I see d posters everywhere

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ebubu Evicted From The Big Brother Titans House / BBNaija: “I Am Here For The Money” – Tobi To Alex / BLINK - Best Nigerian Short Film Ever?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.