Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,890 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:00 AM

Opensource 3D Game Participation Call - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Opensource 3D Game Participation Call (22229 Views)

Going Opensource With Asp.net!! / The Best E-commerce Platform For Nigeria (opensource) / How To Make Money With Opensource (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 8:58pm On Aug 06, 2014
For those that might be far away from Urho3D there is now a board for tutorials on it at [url]darkdove.proboards.com[/url]. But first you would have to make a request for the tutorial you want and we'll have it prepared for you grin. You can make the request here http://darkdove.proboards.com/thread/11/tutorial-request
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by 3pleo: 4:51pm On Aug 08, 2014
I'm not a programmer but I will love to join the group
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 6:48pm On Aug 08, 2014
3pleo: I'm not a programmer but I will love to join the group

So long as you have one or two ideas and suggestions to make then you are welcomed smiley
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 1:45am On Aug 11, 2014
Greetings All...

A basic tutorial article on Urho3D Editor has been posted on the DARKDOVE forum. So all those that might have been confused by the Editor can read it up for directions. http://darkdove.proboards.com/thread/15/urho3d-editor-simple-guide
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by Zarama7(f): 10:52pm On Aug 11, 2014
I'd love to join but it will be for more of learning than actually helping wink
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 11:15pm On Aug 11, 2014
Zarama7: I'd love to join but it will be for more of learning than actually helping wink

smiley We all are learners so you are welcomed
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by Vondata(m): 9:34am On Aug 12, 2014
I wish is a 2D Game engine, I'm a geek in doing 2D games but will have to step up then.
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by Zarama7(f): 10:27am On Aug 12, 2014
Vondata: I wish is a 2D Game engine, I'm a geek in doing 2D games but will have to step up then.
Me too
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 4:27pm On Aug 20, 2014
Greetings

Its unfortunate that I have been a bit pre occupied for some times now but project DARKDOVE is still moving on. For those that are interested but are yet to join you can head over to the forum at [url]darkdove.proboards.com[/url] and join up smiley . Two basic introductory tutorials have been posted at the tutorial board; one for Urho3D Editor http://darkdove.proboards.com/thread/15/urho3d-editor-simple-guide and the other for In-Game physics http://darkdove.proboards.com/thread/16/game-physics-basic-intro. Any one battling with the Game Engine should not forget to share any difficulty encountered so that we all can solve it together and better still arrange a tutorial for others to learn from.

And last but not the least, for those that might be interested in knowing the philosophy guiding DARKDOVE this will give you a better understanding http://darkdove.proboards.com/thread/10/step
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 2:25am On Aug 25, 2014
Greetings and Happy New week to you all...

A little update to the Incub8 story has been made. This is actually more like the game play objective smiley. The earlier posted storyline is still where it had always been for you to read and understand what we are up against: http://darkdove.proboards.com/thread/6/proof-concept-story, the update is at http://darkdove.proboards.com/thread/17/incub8-invitation
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 3:01am On Sep 05, 2014
As part of the experimental and learning process for our wonderful coding team members, a "game application" has been started http://darkdove.proboards.com/thread/23/experimental-sample this will help the starters among us in getting to know Urho3D engine better. This application will be implemented in AngelScript and C++. Its most likely going to be done in AngelScript first for rapid prototyping and then ported to C++.

For those that might be confused undecided , AngelScript, http://www.angelcode.com/angelscript/, is the primary scripting language implemented in Urho3D, the other being Lua. AngelScript has a syntax very very close to that of C/C++ therefore porting your codes between the two is very easy grin.
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by MasterPDON: 3:53pm On Sep 08, 2014
wish i had seen the thread MUCH sooner. i hope it's still active.
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by MasterPDON: 4:20pm On Sep 08, 2014
BLUEMAGNIFICIENT!
in the whole of nairaland, i've not seen anyone as determined and as serious-minded as you are. your passion is very strong and admirable. before i came across this thread, i thought i was the most hot-headed when it comes to 3d game development. you're the kind of person i'd like to work with.

now. i don't want to tear you away from urho3d, because you seem to be so attached to it. also, i don't want your progress to be disrupted, but perhaps for your next game, i want you to at least take a look at unity3d game engine. you mentioned something about a rendering engine, needing a physics engine and sound engine, but unity3d has everything you need in one package. a lot of GREAT mobile, pc and even console games have been created using unity3d. infact if you own an android or ios phone, download and play "contract killer: zombies 2: origins". made solely with unity3d. it's popular, and there are more than enough documentations and tutorials on the net. you'll get the hang of it within weeks.
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by MasterPDON: 4:46pm On Sep 08, 2014
#continuation from last post.<sorry, i'm using a feature phone, and i can only type a post with 1003 characters in it.>

up until now, i've never heard of urho3d, and, believe me, i researched A LOT before i finally picked my choice of game engine. i'll still check it up on the net soon.
so, like i said, consider this for your next game, if you don't want to start from scratch. but if you look up unity3d now, and you feel it's better, it's easy to port. unity has a very clear interface. the supported programming languages are unityscript (similar to javascript), c# and boo. c# is my preferred language cos it's professional, and since you're familiar with c++, it shouldn't be hard to learn. trust me, you'll love unity when you get to know it. wish i could show you my progress via screenshots, but like i said, i'm using a poor phone right now. so, well, just take a look at it.

that said, it's good to see strong-willed people like you. it motivates me. DON'T let ANYTHING discourage you (i doubt that's even poss
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by MasterPDON: 5:00pm On Sep 08, 2014
continuation from last post

(i doubt that's even possible) not even my suggestions. don't let any comment bring your spirit down. good, good luck with project DARKDOVE. with your determination, and that of your team, it will definitely reach completion. i'll contact you when i have access to my laptop.
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 7:03pm On Sep 08, 2014
@MasterPDON, this project is more like a precious baby to me, there is no way I'm giving up on her smiley

About Unity3D, I do appreciate the suggestions, but you can bet I've surveyed alot of game engines, including Unity, before picking Urho3d.

Due to C++ being strongly chosen as implementation langugae, Unity couldn't be picked and also the fact of it not being opensource. One time or another the need might arise to dive deep into the engine's code to do some customizations, this wouldn't be possible in a closed source product like Unity.

As time goes by and more projects come up Unity might be considered as an option smiley.

And thanks for the GoodLuck, this project really needs it smileysmileysmiley
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by MasterPDON: 9:55pm On Sep 08, 2014
i understand and respect your decision. but i'll contact you anyway. even if we can't work together, we'll each learn a lot when we share and exchange ideas and knowledge.

i don't think i saw your email anywhere on this thread. can i have it? and your whatsapp number?
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 11:43pm On Sep 09, 2014
MasterPDON: i understand and respect your decision. but i'll contact you anyway. even if we can't work together, we'll each learn a lot when we share and exchange ideas and knowledge.

i don't think i saw your email anywhere on this thread. can i have it? and your whatsapp number?

I don't have an "official" whatsapp number, but my NairaLand username is the same for my google account (I believe you understand what I mean wink)
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 16, 2014
BlueMagnificent:

I don't have an "official" whatsapp number, but my NairaLand username is the same for my google account (I believe you understand what I mean wink)
sorry for derailing, bt there was no other way to contact you.
i decided to experiment on urho, i got to the download page and saw 2 versions "static" and "shared", which should I download

also I saw an android download link, does it mean it runs on android, or is it a SDK for porting the games to the android platform?
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 6:48pm On Sep 16, 2014
@Preboy... For the static package, Urho3d is build for static library linking, while for the shared package it is built for dynamic library linking (dll) . You can choose anyone of them, I use the static build. The android package is for developing for the Android platform (if you want to build a game to run on android smiley)
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by Nobody: 7:06pm On Sep 16, 2014
BlueMagnificent: @Preboy... For the static package, Urho3d is build for static library linking, while for the shared package it is built for dynamic library linking (dll) . You can choose anyone of them, I use the static build. The android package is for developing for the Android platform (if you want to build a game to run on android smiley)
thanks a lot bro bt I've got one last question, do I need to be a c++ programmer to use urho3D
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 7:23pm On Sep 16, 2014
Unfortunately yes, you need to know C++, there is no official ( or even any) binding yet for other languages...

On the other hand Urho3d can be scripted with AngelScript and lua. If you know any of the two you can create a full game with Urho3d using them without writing a single C++ code
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by Nobody: 9:05pm On Sep 16, 2014
BlueMagnificent: Unfortunately yes, you need to know C++, there is no official ( or even any) binding yet for other languages...

On the other hand Urho3d can be scripted with AngelScript and lua. If you know any of the two you can create a full game with Urho3d using them without writing a single C++ code
mehn that's sad, seems I'll be opting for jmonkey(java) or panda 3D(python, c++)
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 10:35am On Oct 10, 2014
After discussing with me, myself and I and doing extensive investigation, I found out that Project DARKDOVE did not meet the criteria for membership of the Famous APN embarassed (APN lipsrsealed that sounds like a Political Party), yeap, we didn't meet the requirements to join the Abandoned Projects of Nairaland grin. Given to this expected and foreseen event the authorities in charge have decided to re-invest all available resources to make sure that project DARKDOVE thrives without aid and assistance from APN. grin grin grin

Greetings Once Again to All creative mind, we are still moving on, and we'll keep moving on. The silence didn't mean nothing was happening wink

A brief brush up for programmers that might be interested: C++ is the Language in charge here (you don't have to be a guru) and Urho3D is running the show as the Game Engine. Before this month runs out our very basic game experiment would have started. This experiment is to help everyone of us explore and understand the features of Urho3D and how to use them.

The official forum still remains [url]darkdove.proboards.com[/url] smiley
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by KazukiIto(m): 12:28pm On Oct 10, 2014
BlueMagnificent:
After discussing with me, myself and I and doing extensive investigation, I found out that Project DARKDOVE did not meet the criteria for membership of the Famous APN embarassed (APN lipsrsealed that sounds like a Political Party), yeap, we didn't meet the requirements to join the Abandoned Projects of Nairaland grin. Given to this expected and foreseen event the authorities in charge have decided to re-invest all available resources to make sure that project DARKDOVE thrives without aid and assistance from APN. grin grin grin

Greetings Once Again to All creative mind, we are still moving on, and we'll keep moving on. The silence didn't mean nothing was happening wink

A brief brush up for programmers that might be interested: C++ is the Language in charge here (you don't have to be a guru) and Urho3D is running the show as the Game Engine. Before this month runs out our very basic game experiment would have started. This experiment is to help everyone of us explore and understand the features of Urho3D and how to use them.

The official forum still remains [url]darkdove.proboards.com[/url] smiley

Seriously, my prayers and blessings goes towards this project.

Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 12:37pm On Oct 10, 2014
KazukiIto:

Thanks alot, we really need those prayers...

Permit me to digress a bit, did u see my reply on the wxWidgets issue
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by KazukiIto(m): 2:20pm On Oct 10, 2014
BlueMagnificent:

Thanks alot, we really need those prayers...

Permit me to digress a bit, did u see my reply on the wxWidgets issue

Yeah. Thanks for the reply!!
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by Canme4u(m): 4:16pm On Oct 10, 2014
Nice work here @ everbody.

Awa o mo(I don't know nada about programming) anything about programming oooo lolz grin grin but I can be the game tester. What am I saying I mean I can test the game before it would be lunch to general public for any posible bugs. Thanks.

More power to your elbow.

#TeamDarkDove #DD
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 4:30pm On Oct 10, 2014
Canme4u:
Nice work here @ everbody.

Awa o mo(I don't know nada about programming) anything about programming oooo lolz grin grin but I can be the game tester. What am I saying I mean I can test the game before it would be lunch to general public for any posible bugs. Thanks.

More power to your elbow.

#TeamDarkDove #DD

Thanks...

smiley The position of a Game Tester is still open so u are free to occupy it grin

1 Like

Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 10:32pm On Oct 13, 2014
Greetings everyone, this is to announce that our Experimental Sample (ES) has Officially begun grin.

ES will start out simple and we will watch in evolve with our general knowledge of the capabilities of Urho3D Engine. The thread for the ES is http://darkdove.proboards.com/post/69/thread.

And as a reminder, the DARKDOVE team has no motto yet but we have a mindset guiding us and our work

Start as simple as possible, do things as simple and understandable as possible, but always improve and advance.

wink
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 2:04am On Oct 21, 2014
Greetings...

Its good to know that our Experimental Sample (ES) is gradually moving on grin grin, and when its complete its going to be as simple as possible so that even a baby will understand how it was made:

Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 12:48am On Oct 22, 2014

Please don't mind the little black logo that keeps floating on the screen grin it will disappear when the tutorial is drafted

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Beginners - Learn Android Programming / Please Rate This: My First Data Visualization Project / Help Me Write The Quadratic Equation (almighty Formula) In This Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.