Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,710 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:51 PM

An Open Letter To All Muslims - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / An Open Letter To All Muslims (23467 Views)

Happy Islamic New Year 1436 AH To All Muslims / Happy Eid ul Adha To All Muslims In The World. / Happy Arafat Day To All Muslims Around The World. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Open Letter To All Muslims by Orikinla(m): 3:42pm On Dec 06, 2013
This is a letter From Sheikh Of Borno To Sultan Mohammed Bello Dated 23rd of Rabee-ul-thani, 1238;
(Corresponding to January, 1824)
Praise be to God, and prayers and peace be unto the Apostle of God (Mohammed).

To the honoured and accomplished, the virtuous and munificent, the pattern of goodness and the standard of benevolence, head of the Soodanic kingdom, and ruler of the country of Hausa, our friend, the learned Mohammed Bello, son of the intelligent sheikh Osman, whose soul may God shelter with the clouds of mercy and peace.

Our salutation, accompanied with affection as strong as the odour of musk, and as perpetual as the movement of the globe, and with the mercy and blessings of God, be unto you.

Hence, the cause of writing this letter and the purpose of its lines, is to acquaint you that the bearers are English travelers; whose nation, out
of all the other Christians, has maintained with the Mooslemeen uninterrupted treaties of religious amity and friendship, established since ancient periods, which they inherited from their forefathers and ancestors; and on this account, they penetrate into Mooslemeen countries whenever they please, and traverse all provinces and lands in confidence and trust, without fear.

They came to our country, sent to us by our virtuous and accomplished friend, the Lord Yousuf Pasha, master of Tripoli, to see and delight themselves with the wonders of the Land of Soodan, and to become acquainted with its rarities, as lakes, rivers, and forests (or gardens) ; equal to which are seldom seen in other countries.

After having accomplished their wishes, in seeing all the things that the land of Barnooh (Borno) and its environs contained, they felt anxious to visit your country from what they heard of the innumerable wonders therein. I have, therefore, permitted them to proceed on their journey, accompanying them with letters which explain their object.

You are well aware of what is stated in Alcoraanic sayings upon the subject of the obervance of honour, dictated by our Lord, the Apostle of God; and that the true Mooslemeen have always avoided shedding the blood of Christians, and assisted and protected them with their honour. Be then attentive to these travelers, and cast them not into the corners of neglect; let no one hurt them, either by words or deeds, nor interrupt them with any injurious behavior: but let them return to us, safe, and may the high God bestow upon you the best reward for your treatment to them, and insure to us and to you the path of righteousness for conduct in this life.

Our salutation may be given to all who are about you, and to those who are related to you in general. And peace be unto you.
(Sealed)
MOHAMMED EL-AMEEN EL-KANEMY

4 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by deols(f): 4:10pm On Dec 06, 2013
what is your source.

I don't doubt that a letter like this could have been from a Muslim ruler though. Protection given to non-Muslims is well documented in Islamic history.

It is one of the reasons Islam should not be judged by the actions of a few ignorant ones claiming to carry out shameful acts in the name of Islam.

The wordings of the letter scream 'translated from arabic'

28 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by tpia5: 4:24pm On Dec 06, 2013
Should be more applicable to borno since boko haram is there.

What's the op's own btw.

2 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by deols(f): 4:28pm On Dec 06, 2013
tpia@:
Should be more applicable to borno since boko haram is there.

What's the op's own btw.

same question could be asked of you. grin

Did you see the part that says Soodanic kingdom. Northern Nigeria through Chad to Sudan was probably an entity and all of these people seeing each other as one-Islamic brotherhood.

Don't look at the Borno mentioned as the Borno state of today. It is larger than that.
Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by tpia5: 5:01pm On Dec 06, 2013
deols:

same question could be asked of you. grin

Hence my observation.

did you see the part that says Soodanic kingdom. Northern Nigeria through Chad to Sudan was probably an entity and all of these people seeing each other as one-Islamic brotherhood.

Don't look at the Borno mentioned as the Borno state of today. It is larger than that.

The whole of nigeria was considered western sudan at some point.

The letter was asking for safe passage for some english travellers, not sure how your post applies?
Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by deols(f): 5:24pm On Dec 06, 2013
tpia@:

Hence my observation.

The whole of nigeria was considered western sudan at some point.

The letter was asking for safe passage for some english travellers, not sure how your post applies?

You said Boko haram is in Borno. I mean that the Borno mentioned in the letter may not be restricted to Borno state. It could have been larger.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by naptu2: 5:53am On Dec 07, 2013
deols:

You said Boko haram is in Borno. I mean that the Borno mentioned in the letter may not be restricted to Borno state. It could have been larger.

That's Kanem Borno.
Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by naptu2: 7:02am On Dec 07, 2013
The term "Soudan" does not necessarily refer to the country now known as Sudan, the same way the term "Guinea" does not necessarily refer to the country we now call Guinea.

Soudan, as used here, refers to "the land of the blacks, south of the Sahara", the same way that "Guinea" refers to "the land of the blacks in Western Africa".
Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by Orikinla(m): 7:29pm On Dec 08, 2013
Any dummy can see that the letter is preaching tolerance of Christians in Muslims territories. Focus on the message instead of digressing.

8 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by deols(f): 8:22pm On Dec 08, 2013
Orikinla: Any dummy can see that the letter is preaching tolerance of Christians in Muslims territories. Focus on the message instead of digressing.

Did you read it at all. The meaning is lost on you. No wonder you posted it.

naptu2: The term "Soudan" does not necessarily refer to the country now known as Sudan, the same way the term "Guinea" does not necessarily refer to the country we now call Guinea.

Soudan, as used here, refers to "the land of the blacks, south of the Sahara", the same way that "Guinea" refers to "the land of the blacks in Western Africa".

I agree

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by golpen(m): 2:56am On Dec 09, 2013
Orikinla: Any dummy can see that the letter is preaching tolerance of Christians in Muslims territories. Focus on the message instead of digressing.

You must be a joke!!. Who's tolerant here? Is it the host or the visitors?

Twisting your mind that way may render you dumb unconsciously. Beware.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by naptu2: 3:40am On Dec 09, 2013
I'm a bit surprised by the tone of the letter. It's very cordial. I've been pondering over this since saturday. It's probably because it was a different era. Chivalry was alive then.

6 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by deols(f): 9:20am On Dec 09, 2013
naptu2: I'm a bit surprised by the tone of the letter. It's very cordial. I've been pondering over this since saturday. It's probably because it was a different era. Chivalry was alive then.

There are many of this kind of letter. I will search and if I find them, post them here. It is inherently a part of Islam to protect people of other faith found in Islamic territory.

I believe what we see now in the form of intolerance from some Muslims stem from the crusade(killings by the christians.).

Muslims who would not see beyond vengeance decided to take up arms against those whom they see to have wronged them. This certain belief grew into the different terror organisations that exist now. I just wish they can all see this aspect of Islam and realise they are very wrong.

9 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by naptu2: 9:28am On Dec 09, 2013
deols:

There are many of this kind of letter. I will search and if I find them, post them here. It is inherently a part of Islam to protect people of other faith found in Islamic territory.

I believe what we see now in the form of intolerance from some Muslims stem from the crusade(killings by the christians.).

Muslims who would not see beyond vengeance decided to take up arms against those whom they see to have wronged them. This certain belief grew into the different terror organisations that exist now. I just wish they can all see this aspect of Islam and realise they are very wrong.

Actually, I wasn't referring to their behaviour towards the english travellers. I was referring to their behaviour towards each other. El-kanemi was not exactly friends with Usman Dan Fodio and Mohammed Bello, but the tone of this letter is so friendly and respectful.

3 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by deols(f): 4:14pm On Dec 09, 2013
naptu2:

Actually, I wasn't referring to their behaviour towards the english travellers. I was referring to their behaviour towards each other. El-kanemi was not exactly friends with Usman Dan Fodio and Mohammed Bello, but the tone of this letter is so friendly and respectful.

is alright. I don't know that part of history.
Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by Nobody: 6:20pm On Dec 11, 2013
Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by Ghadafy(m): 6:28pm On Dec 11, 2013
Booked
Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by Dannylux: 6:38pm On Dec 11, 2013
deols:

In other words, these Boko Haram are merely vengeful? The Christians started the killings? When trying to vindicate your Faith It's very unwise to dent another religion in the process.

I love the way this piece was composed. It's quite witty and the expressions are figuratively presented. Its a nice piece indeed.

18 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by uprightman(m): 6:39pm On Dec 11, 2013
i think some people terrorize others for there selfish interest,using islam for protection and to gather support and simparty.

4 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by JaaizTech: 6:45pm On Dec 11, 2013
Interesting.
Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by sureteeboy(m): 6:46pm On Dec 11, 2013
deols: what is your source.

I don't doubt that a letter like this could have been from a Muslim ruler though. Protection given to non-Muslims is well documented in Islamic history.

It is one of the reasons Islam should not be judged by the actions of a few ignorant ones claiming to carry out shameful acts in the name of Islam.

The wordings of the letter scream 'translated from arabic'

visit www.faithfreedom.org before you hide my post. You might as well check the news section
Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by Odward(m): 6:50pm On Dec 11, 2013
Oboy na letter long like dis abeg make person summarize am for me joor.
Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by lurge(m): 6:53pm On Dec 11, 2013
deols:

We know you're a muslim so don't try to defend the wrong doings of your brothers. Their actions makes people regard them as a violent religion. We all know Christains are more peaceful. Please mind what you say. You're making inciteful statements and I really don't want to start a fight here.

15 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by diablos: 7:01pm On Dec 11, 2013
frm wat i've learnt d crusades was a war to save jerusalem after d muslims conquered it, due to d fact dat Jerusalem an israeli province, is historical to xtianity. so hw does dat relate to d killing of innocent pple not necessarily xtians in schools, homes or while executing legitimate businesses?

5 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by Dannylux: 7:02pm On Dec 11, 2013
lurge:
We know you're a muslim so don't try to defend the wrong doings of your brothers. Their actions makes people regard them as a violent religion. We all know Christains are more peaceful. Please mind what you say. You're making inciteful statements and I really don't want to start a fight here.

Glad you noticed too. When the Christians criticize them they'd get banned forever.

12 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by kulgee001(m): 7:06pm On Dec 11, 2013
lurge:

Funny for a "peaceful" you to think about fighting.

3 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by anselm791(m): 7:06pm On Dec 11, 2013
I must commend his effort for peace here, but must also state that those with the propensity to cause harm can niether read nor write, then of what use is a letter going to be?

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by mu2sa2: 7:13pm On Dec 11, 2013
This letter isn't saying anything new. Under Islamic law non- muslims are guaranteed safety and freedom to practice their religion without hindrance as long as they accept the authority of the islamic state.
Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by leggo: 7:19pm On Dec 11, 2013
deols has started again. so boko haram is a reply to the crusades?
Tommorow you'll say its a politically motivated group. stop twisting your words.
bloody fanatic!
I might as well say the crusades was as a result of the bloody muslim conquests, I'm sure you'll ignore this part of your history

16 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To All Muslims by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 11, 2013
deols:

IF I TALK NOW YOU GO BAN ME. MAKE I KUKU KEEP QUIET DEY SMH FOR YOU

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do Muslims See Visions And Fall In Trance? / The Islamic Etiquette On How To Use The Toilet / Islamic Rulings On Genotype In Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.