Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,310 members, 7,780,732 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:58 PM

Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria (41487 Views)

The Unheard Mcdonalds Story And Your Level Of Success / The Unheard Mcdonalds Story And Your Level Of Success / The Unheard Mcdonalds Story And Your Level Of Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by Reverend(m): 9:23pm On Jun 20, 2006
misanthrop:

Why would you even use Western standards, ie developed and underdeveloped, to measure success? Have we as Black people not learned that we cannot rely on Western barometers to truly measure ourselves, lest we always come up short. For example, few Black people, especially Africans, are considered beautiful by Western standards. How about getting some pride and franchising a Nigerian restaurant in American or other Western countries? Just a thought.

Yes, how about starting a Mc419'er in the UK. You could have the following menu:

Big McAbacha with Cheese
Risky Free Milkshakes
Obasanjo Chicken Nuggets
Modality Muffins
Western Union Fillet of Fish
Mugu Muffins

I am sure it would be a huge hit cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by Bibi(m): 11:09pm On Jun 20, 2006
"Mugu Muffins" . Nice catch cheesy
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by kazey(m): 11:14pm On Jun 20, 2006
hahah nice pic you got there. Have you tried their burgers ? grin
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by T2(m): 4:04am On Jun 21, 2006
LMAO
Reverend, thats soooooo funny, but shdnt dat be Big McAbacha with Indian?

Na indian e dey do when e happen

hehehe

Western Union Fillet of Fish
OBJ chicken nuggets

hahaha
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by MrBean(m): 1:08pm On Jun 21, 2006
@reverend

You cheeky bastard !!!!  Why don't you try investing in "Soccer Hooligans Training Centre" in Aldershot. Thats So British aint it?
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by pierreech(m): 2:16pm On Jun 21, 2006
YOU KNOW READING THE FIRST POST REMINDED OF MY DAYS IN COLLEGE WHEN MY PAL BET THAT HE'LL BE THE FIRST TO BRING THE MICKY DEES FRANCHISE TO NAIJA wink !! NOSTALGIC cheesy BUT NOW I KNOW AFTER THE HYPE WE HAVE OUR OWN ANSWERS TO MC DONALDS IN NAIJA WHY DON'T WE COME UP WIT SOMETHNG MORE UNIQUE TO THE NAIJA FAST FOOD INDUSTRY SMTHNG HOME GROWN!!! THAT'LL SELL MORE THAN JUST A NAME. EVEN MR BIGGS IF FALLN OFF!!!! undecided SO I'D JUST USE THAT MONEY AND COME UP WIT NAIJA FRIED CHICKEN OR SMTHNG. CHECK THE STATS OF DEM BIG BOYS AND GALS WHO STILL HAVE LUNCH IN BUKA'S AND MAMAPUT JOINTS ALL OVA NAIJA EVEN WIT 6 FIGURE SALARIES!!! MICKY DEES R U STILL THERE
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by moyoct14(m): 6:28pm On Jun 21, 2006
McDonalds in Nigeria will be similar to Sweet Sensation in Guildford (Surrey, UK), where there are no many blacks. Nigerians dont do chicken and chips 2much as yu probably know, and I don't think they'll wanna develop interest in it overnight. Nonetheless, I'd have been advising you give it a shot, but playing lottery with a sum as huge as $0.5million could be a dangerous exercise. Whatever you decide in the end, Good luck!
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by naijacutee(f): 6:53pm On Jun 21, 2006
Thats a very good idea, my brother. We all diss Mickey Dee but can we honestly say we haven't been there to eat before? At least once?

Right. We've contributed to making them a world branded Fast Food thingy, so its about time we nigerians had a bit of the Macdonalds dynasty. Saying 'We have McDonalds in Nigeria' alone would give this oyinbo people the impression that Nigeria is not all about the kids by the roadside and 419 criminals, and the Shell workers kidnappers that they see on BBC news. We have McDonalds too!
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by Reverend(m): 7:24pm On Jun 21, 2006
I have a better Idea!

Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by IAH(f): 7:29pm On Jun 21, 2006
Wow! You are quite idle, aren't you? cheesy
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by Reverend(m): 7:44pm On Jun 21, 2006
It is nearly 8pm, what do you expect? grin grin

I am waiting for the match to start, Argentina - Holland! grin grin grin

But back to business. If you really had $400,000 to blow, it would be better to come up with your own concept. Start one or two outlets, then franchise your idea out!

Be your own master, that is the best !
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by layi(m): 1:17pm On Jun 22, 2006
Reverend:

But back to business. If you really had $400,000 to blow, it would be better to come up with your own concept. Start one or two outlets, then franchise your idea out!

Be your own master, that is the best !

I doubt if you can build a brand worth 'franchising' with just $400,000.
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by Bibi(m): 4:43pm On Jun 22, 2006
Some successful business started with much lower capital, and in Nigeria, thats a meaninful capital to start one ($400k = ~56 Million Naira). The likes of Tantalizer and Sweet Sensation started lower, now they are household names in Nigeria.
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by layi(m): 8:32pm On Jun 22, 2006
@bibi
Since rev chose starting your own "franchisable" brand with the money instead of getting a mcdonalds franchise, then i presume that owning a brand to him is more lucrative. Thats what i don't buy. I still believe a mcdonalds outlet will beat a tantalizers' or mr biggs' located within the same vicinity anyday. You can't compare them to mcdonalds.
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by omogenaija(f): 5:49pm On Jun 23, 2006
I love Mcdonalds and wouldnt mind eating @ 1 , in naija.

good luck layi with wateva u choose to do. kiss
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by gidig(m): 7:34pm On Jun 23, 2006
Mcd will necessarily have to look at the Nigerian environment and craft their offerings otherwise they are in big troubles.But I think they are too rigid to really do well In naija. Mcd's undoing is the big size that it has.

Tantalizers was successful because of their innovation.Prior to their coming,what the SR offered were snacks and pastries.The Ayenis offered Jollof and Fried rice with Chicken served fresh . compared to the Mr Biggs then that opened their first shop on Broad street in 86 ,that was innovation and they took it from there. Also there restaurants encouraged people staying cos they had chair and not stool like Mr Biggs.

Since then, every restaurant has been lookinf for ways to Innovate and bring something different to the market. Now, most serve African dishes.Imagine, Mr Biggs serves Dodo and beans.The key really is innovation. And at the end of the day,only about four brands will dominate these segment.

As for McDonald coming to Nigeria, several factors will determine their success.the most important being how they are willing to adapt to the taste of our people.Otherwise interests in their services will fizzle out days after their entrance is heralded.
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by applepie(f): 8:27pm On Jun 23, 2006
Mcdonalds would be a nice thing but i hope everyone would be able to afford it smiley
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by T2(m): 12:04am On Jun 24, 2006
@applepie
Haba! Mcdonalds again?

Relax
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by kazey(m): 12:12am On Jun 24, 2006
How about those Burgers change to "OKELE(iyan,fufu,amala)" ? and "Apple Pie" changes to "BOLI ATI EKPA(roasted plantain with peanuts)" and co. Talking about ADAPTATION marketing strategy here smiley
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by Reverend(m): 9:27am On Jun 24, 2006
layi:

@bibi
Since rev chose starting your own "franchisable" brand with the money instead of getting a mcdonalds franchise, then i presume that owning a brand to him is more lucrative. Thats what i don't buy. I still believe a mcdonalds outlet will beat a tantalizers' or mr biggs' located within the same vicinity anyday. You can't compare them to mcdonalds.

It takes more time to build your brand, but you will not be paying any fees to the fat cats in the US. Develop your own idea and build your own brand. Once you have about 5 restaurants you can franchise your business out. Then you will receive the franchise fees and you will be able to build your empire with other peoples money and not risk your own :-)

That is exactly what McDonald, KFC and other do.

You are only buying a name!
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by Bibi(m): 10:40am On Jun 24, 2006
Yes Reverend, moreso, we now have those Franchisable names like Mr. Biggs, Tantalizer, Sweet Sensations, etc. There is no other value in Mc Donalds other than the name.

Agree, Brand equity is not an overnight thing.
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by vickybabe(f): 10:15pm On Jun 28, 2006
why are we trying ti introduce fatty foods to naija

why not benefitting food like sandwiches and all that
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by Reverend(m): 11:32pm On Jun 28, 2006
@ Vickybabe

You are absolutely right. Why pay allot of money for a franchise that will make people sick!
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by danpullo: 10:30pm On Aug 13, 2006
i want to be a partner,loking forward to here from you. just holla
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by prince83: 4:08pm On Aug 22, 2006
i think someone with $5million(which is N650million) will be able to start one of the best fast food business in Nigeria.
I dont see any thing special about MCDonalds, its just the name thats all.
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by Shinor(m): 5:26pm On Aug 24, 2006
Didn't realize this McDonalds thing was still attracting contributors. The truth is Mc D's wont step lagos. Layi what you dont realize is the USD$400k or so that you are meant to use in setting up a franchised store is based on you being in an area with other McDonalds restaurants so that daily supply of beef burgers. burger baps, nuggests etc will get to you. With your store in Nigeria how would you get all their products?
They wont allow you use local replacements cos of standards. If you use local beef if one guy eats it and dies, the news will be that someone ate Big Mac and died, they wont say the location and that alone will affect McDonalds worlwide.
They would rather avoid Nigeria . They are not losing anything.
The truth has been enumerated by people like Reverend here. If you have 400k Dollars build your own chain. Believe me there's nothing to all this Big names.
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:19am On Aug 26, 2006
WHAT'S YOU GONNA BE SELLING THERE, BIG MAC , QUARTER POUNDER WITH CHEESE, BIG N TASTY, NUGGET, HAPPY MEAL RANCH BLT, CEASER SALAD, BACON RANCH SALAD, ASIAN SALAD, FRUIT AND WALNUT SALAD, SIDE SALAD, THE NEW SNAC WRAP, CARAMEL OR FUDGE SUNDAE, CRISPY OR THE GRILL CHICKEN, DOUBLE CHEESE BURGER OR MC CHICKEN. MILK SHAKE,ICE TEA, THIS IS JUST HALF OF THE LUNCH MEUN NOT TALKING OF THE BREAK FAST, I'VE THOUGHT ABOUT IT BUT IT ONLY TAKE A STRONG MAN TO TRY. AND THE FIRST MONEY YOU WILL INVEST ON IT CONSIDER IT GONE.
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by whirlweend(m): 2:07pm On Sep 05, 2006
After reading all the posts so far,only 'funloving' made a lot of sense and some others.All you guys suggesting that a McDonald in naija will potray us as being developed and modern are just writing crap and sh*t and don't know sh*t about business.
@layi,go find something else to invest your money on and forget this Mcdonald nonsense.What is the big deal about McDonald?.McDonald my ass!!
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by lamien(f): 1:49pm On Sep 30, 2006
layi am very much interested in the fast food franchaise thing but weve got to test the waters first if we can invest less in a fast food in nigeria dat the name is a bum then why go mcdonalds but if its going to be a majour break why not life is a gamblev call me if you can 08060991025 name is temi
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by whirlweend(m): 6:56pm On Oct 10, 2006
Yeah,and u guys will be selling chin chin and 'burns' after investing all ur life savings
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by LePhilippe(m): 6:49pm On Apr 04, 2007
MCD Nigeria would so sell. It would be such a blow to the other fast food gaints though. Nigerians are all about big names, I defo would eat there and there can be like McFried Rice or McJollof or McEba!!! Lol
Re: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria by Rlst84sale(m): 12:23am On Apr 07, 2007
Hi fellow,

MC D?, it sounds like a good idea especially the fact that u r creating employment and giving something back to the community. The only downside to it from my view is the side effect of junk foods on the health of people. You will make money, right, if that's all you care about more power to u. I would that u think of something with Naija and or Naira signature on it cos that Country will very well soon be in the Top Ten sought after nation in the universe if not the only one, u just wait and watch.

Right now here in the US and some other parts of the world, people are being informed of the devastating effect of those fast foods relative to most major diseases and sicknesses especially the ones they believe have no cures. (For your information I'm reading a lot about that now) such as cancer, diabetes, Auto immune deficiencies and so forth. It is up to u where u want your business to be in the next ten years or more. I would only suggest that u look very well before u leap. Good luck

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See How God Has Blessed And Transformed This Mans Business Within 10 Years / My Experience In The Bank Today / Innoson Withdraws Ex Parte Case Against Gtbank, EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.