Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,244 members, 7,780,489 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:25 PM

My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) (15256 Views)

Holland Chukwudubem A Dead Soldier: Another Fallen Hero / Another Fallen Hero:Lt Salami,A Soldier Killed By Boko Haram 4-days Ago(Pictured / Nigerians Can Travel Without Visa To South Africa Next Year – Buba Marwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by bcomputer101: 2:49am On Dec 07, 2013
A former Nigerian President, Olusegun Obasanjo, on Friday joined other world leaders to pay tributes to the late ex-South African president, Nelson Mandela.

Obasanjo in a statement he read to newsmen at his Hilltop Mansion in Abeokuta on Friday said Mandela lived an exemplary life.

Obasanjo relived various encounters he had with Mandela saying that his style of leadership helped South Africa to overcome the pains of apartheid. He described Mandela’s death as a loss to his family “who would miss a caring patriarch, the people of South Africa, who would miss a guide, Africa who would miss a role model and the world who would miss a leader.

The statement reads in part: “One of my earliest contacts with Nelson Mandela was in February 1986 when I visited him at Polls-moor Prison in my capacity as Co-Chairman of the Commonwealth Eminent Persons Group on Southern Africa. He dressed defiantly in ANC belt and reminded me of his visit to Nigeria in 1962.

Though appalled by Apartheid, I left his prison cell deeply convinced that the history of South Africa and, indeed, Africa would be worse off and would not be complete if the purpose for which he was in jail – elimination of apartheid – did not end for him to be in a position to lead his country from racial and tribal division into a rainbow united society.

“As we discussed during the visit, Mandela mentioned in passing that ‘if he got out of prison’…I interrupted him that ‘it was not if, but when…’ From that moment on, I resolved to do everything humanly possible, personally and working with my group to facilitate the release of Nelson Mandela from jail because South Africa and the world needed Mandela to be alive and released to be able to give South Africa the smooth transition it would need from an apartheid system to popular participation by all South Africans in their own governance.

“The eventual release of Nelson Mandela from prison was inevitable. On a visit to South Africa, I called on Mandela after he was released from prison on Sunday, 11 February 1990. He pulled me out of the hotel and made me to stay with him and his family in their house in Soweto.

“During the first non-racial democratic elections in 1994, I was on election observation assignment in South Africa and was there for his campaign and when he, Nelson Mandela, cast his own vote in a post-apartheid South Africa.

“He was devoid of bitterness or anger against anybody except he hated apartheid system. He won the election and more importantly led South Africa to the extent that the country was able to cast aside its apartheid legacy and take its place in comity of nations.

“Certain that his task was completed, Nelson Mandela modestly refused to seek re-election after his first term in office as his presidency elapsed. I still recall his pragmatic words when he said to me ‘Olu, show me a place in the world where a man of 80 years is running the affairs of his country.

‘This, to me, reflects an unequalled sense of modesty for a man who spent 27 of the prime years of his life in prison for a just cause and still kept a calm and peaceful disposition to those who took away his freedom for all those years of his life.

“The last time I saw him was about two years ago. I went to visit him at his Johannesburg residence. His health had deteriorated somewhat but he was still very alert but did not talk much during our discussions; Graca did more of the talking.

“As the whole world pays tribute to Madiba, I join them in celebrating the life of a man who raised the beacon of human struggle to lofty heights of nobility and whose life is an example of what we should all aspire for. His struggle and our struggles remain the same and as we all seek for answers to deal with today’s challenges.

“In all situations, he lived nobly and died in nobility. Let us bear in mind that we all have the opportunity to act nobly in whatever position we find ourselves. When we teach our children the lessons for tomorrow, let us be reminded of the lessons Mandela gave the world in forgiveness and forbearance. May his soul rest in perfect peace.”

Source: www.punchng.com/news/my-life-with-mandela-obasanjo/

9 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by Dgoz(m): 2:56am On Dec 07, 2013
For the very fact say I see ''Africa Next Hero'' next to Obasanjo name make me no even read this rubbish again. No be only Africa Next Hero, na Africa Next Super Model.

7 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by PatrykUtulu(m): 3:02am On Dec 07, 2013
MADIBA NELSON ROLIHLAHLA MANDELA
(1918-2013)
-- Attorney Patryk Utulu

Madiba Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela!

Now, at last, you are home
Your goals in freedom became
Your race per deed is done
Your dreams the world reckon

Madiba!

From Africa to America the call arrived
“Madiba Mandela is gone,” she wailed
Her voice hushed with grief-stricken groans
“Then he’s home,” I said, to mask my pains

Nelson!

Freedom Fighter
Practical philosopher
Modest. Dignified. Urbane!
Your greatest title is ‘Human’

Rolihlahla!

Born at Mvezo! Chained in Soweto mainland
Jailed in 8ft X 7ft concrete cell at Robin Island
Dehumanized, you held on to a warrior’s code
Death has value if it serves the common good

Mandela!

Standing trial in the Temple of Apartheid
Defiant! Before Judges for whom reward
Is measured in degradation of all things African
You stood proud of deeds they called treason

Madiba!

Son of Africa, the cradle of human civilization
Sunniest continent oddly seen as dark region
Your peaceful transfer of Presidential Power
Eternally points the world to African exemplar

Nelson!

Man of deeds and words etched in posterity
Reluctant hero rich in absence of vanity
Priest of politics without bitterness
Humble arc of our moral wilderness

Rolihlahla!

Say hello to Mahatma Gandhi and Miriam Makeba
Fare thee well to Julius Nyerere and Ahmed Ben Bella
Give our regards to Martin Luther King Jr and Steve Biko
And don’t forget Herbert Macaulay and Bob Marley

Mandela!

Finally moved by the windmill of the Gods
To a dimension beyond discovered moons
Today, the world is both mourning and rejoicing
Together, offering humble prayers for the undying

Madiba!

A global icon forever in love with home
Endlessly engaged while shunning fame
And in best African tradition, nary resentment
So, you remain finest son of the First Continent

Nelson!

You arrived and left at the beginning of two centuries
Your legacy, a beacon to the oppressed in all shores
‘Tis fitting a warrior’s reward is measured in fair peace
‘Tis our loss the likes of you will not pass this way twice

Rolihlahla!

I imagine you will be mingling with Jesus
And his cousin, the Prophet Mohammed
And staying with Africa’s Ancient Saints
Who walked earth before Organized Religions

Mandela!

This passing marks your birthday in the hereafter
For improved human conditions you helped foster
Weep not should you see earth still engulfed in rancor
Of your effort neither Gods nor men could ask for more

Happy Birthday, Madiba Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela!

Patryk A. Utulu is a U.S.-based attorney and Strategic Communications Consultant
[All Rights Reserved 2013. All materials subject to Copyright Privileges and Immunities]

8 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by Nobody: 3:20am On Dec 07, 2013
Baba, who wrote this script for you? So you were a friend to Madiba yet you never learnt anything good

11 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by SLIDEwaxie(m): 4:25am On Dec 07, 2013
Dgoz: For the very fact say I see ''Africa Next Hero'' next to Obasanjo name make me no even read this rubbish again. No be only Africa Next Hero, na Africa Next Super Model.
my friend, u wil not be missed on Nairaland of u die. Ok? So soffri with ur unnecessary hatred.

In a million times than ever, OBJ is better off than ur idol and hero in biafra o!

U knw the rest of the story, dnt u?

Cos i dnt wanna talk abt the ladys' cloth or an absconder!

3 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by MajeMedia: 4:36am On Dec 07, 2013

1 Like

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by ejifranks(m): 4:55am On Dec 07, 2013
Patryk_Utulu: MADIBA NELSON ROLIHLAHLA MANDELA
(1918-2013)
-- Attorney Patryk Utulu

Madiba Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela!

Now, at last, you are home
Your goals in freedom became
Your race per deed is done
Your dreams the world reckon

Madiba!

From Africa to America the call arrived
“Madiba Mandela is gone,” she wailed
Her voice hushed with grief-stricken groans
“Then he’s home,” I said, to mask my pains

Nelson!

Freedom Fighter
Practical philosopher
Modest. Dignified. Urbane!
Your greatest title is ‘Human’

Rolihlahla!

Born at Mvezo! Chained in Soweto mainland
Jailed in 8ft X 7ft concrete cell at Robin Island
Dehumanized, you held on to a warrior’s code
Death has value if it serves the common good

Mandela!

Standing trial in the Temple of Apartheid
Defiant! Before Judges for whom reward
Is measured in degradation of all things African
You stood proud of deeds they called treason

Madiba!

Son of Africa, the cradle of human civilization
Sunniest continent oddly seen as dark region
Your peaceful transfer of Presidential Power
Eternally points the world to African exemplar

Nelson!

Man of deeds and words etched in posterity
Reluctant hero rich in absence of vanity
Priest of politics without bitterness
Humble arc of our moral wilderness

Rolihlahla!

Say hello to Mahatma Gandhi and Miriam Makeba
Fare thee well to Julius Nyerere and Ahmed Ben Bella
Give our regards to Martin Luther King Jr and Steve Biko
And don’t forget Herbert Macaulay and Bob Marley

Mandela!

Finally moved by the windmill of the Gods
To a dimension beyond discovered moons
Today, the world is both mourning and rejoicing
Together, offering humble prayers for the undying

Madiba!

A global icon forever in love with home
Endlessly engaged while shunning fame
And in best African tradition, nary resentment
So, you remain finest son of the First Continent

Nelson!

You arrived and left at the beginning of two centuries
Your legacy, a beacon to the oppressed in all shores
‘Tis fitting a warrior’s reward is measured in fair peace
‘Tis our loss the likes of you will not pass this way twice

Rolihlahla!

I imagine you will be mingling with Jesus
And his cousin, the Prophet Mohammed
And staying with Africa’s Ancient Saints
Who walked earth before Organized Religions

Mandela!

This passing marks your birthday in the hereafter
For improved human conditions you helped foster
Weep not should you see earth still engulfed in rancor
Of your effort neither Gods nor men could ask for more

Happy Birthday, Madiba Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela!

Patryk A. Utulu is a U.S.-based attorney and Strategic Communications Consultant
[All Rights Reserved 2013. All materials subject to Copyright Privileges and Immunities]
Wonderful , brilliant, I love this !!! Obasanjo well said, wish you had learned somethings from mandela, (third term bid comes to my mind)

n other news

Enjoy new GO and DIE music!! jam of life

https://www.nairaland.com/1541612/new-music-go-die-tne

http:///ubig3el2jbb4
Sweet music

1 Like

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by deeptesting(m): 6:42am On Dec 07, 2013
Your life and his was a great contrast...Mandela was a true leader,a statesman and nation builder,he sought for the greater interest of his people and thus gave up his rights,bitterness,anger for a true reconciliation for a better South Africa where whites and blacks will live together and never,never and never again will there be oppression by each other but when you came out from prison you never learnt anything,you were bitter,vindictive,arrogant,divisive,selfish. Mandela, is gone today and words are pouring in from various world leaders,children and people from all divide to pay their last respect,Mr. Obasanjo would this be your case?

8 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by MAYOWAAK: 9:52am On Dec 07, 2013
One Nigerian general like that had the opportunity on a platter of gold to elevate himself to the rank of world greats like Mandela but tah! His greed never allowed him.

6 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by Kingtim(m): 9:56am On Dec 07, 2013
I didnt even read the piece... You can read my signature. So don't blame me.
Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by kingthreat(m): 10:00am On Dec 07, 2013
Obj, you see yourself? Mandela ruled for 4 years and left. You wanted to rule for 15 years. as we stand against your 3rd teem, you come turn godfather give us one clueless Jona.

1 Like

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by ssultana(f): 10:02am On Dec 07, 2013
ejifranks:
Wonderful , brilliant, I love this !!! Obasanjo well said, wish you had learned somethings from mandela, (third term bid comes to my mind)

n other news

Enjoy new GO and DIE music!! jam of life

https://www.nairaland.com/1541612/new-music-go-die-tne

http:///ubig3el2jbb4
Sweet music
pls for next time's sake,dont quote an extremely long piece.thank you

1 Like

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by slimthugchimee(m): 10:03am On Dec 07, 2013
MAYOWAAK: One Nigerian general like that had the opportunity on a platter of gold to elevate himself to the rank of world greats like Mandela but tah! His greed never allowed him.
tah he sought for the people he gave up his pride and surrondered just to save the dear biafra from dieing of starvation i love ojukwu i love biafra i love igbo

1 Like

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by jamace(m): 10:04am On Dec 07, 2013
MAYOWAAK: One Nigerian general like that had the opportunity on a platter of gold to elevate himself to the rank of world greats like Mandela but tah! His greed never allowed him.

Thank you.

How dare he compare Obasanjo with Mandela? Obasanjo wasted golden opportunity on the alter of greed and ego. Obasanjo joined in looting Nigeria treasury instead of dealing ruthlessly with corrupt officials to restore Nigeria to the part of glory. In fact, just compare the wealth worth of Mandela and that of Obasanjo (financial and material wise) and you will know that there is no need to compare the life philosophy of both men.

For a truth, Obasanjo wasted God given opportunities for selfish gains. He has lost the blessing.

4 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by Nobody: 10:06am On Dec 07, 2013
Some people have no shame. That Obasanjo could make this Press Statement without batting an eyelid shows just how hard-hearted he is!

2 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by goingsolo: 10:09am On Dec 07, 2013
obasanjo you should me ashamed of your self...Ogun people are not even proud of you talk-less of you comparing your self with mandela

4 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by truborn9ja: 10:12am On Dec 07, 2013
Rest in Peace Madiba.
Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by jayAjoku(m): 10:14am On Dec 07, 2013
who wants to listen to this pot bellied gorilla faced fool. How can you knw sme1 like mandela and stil have greed and arrogance embodied in you. My friend park well joor angry angry

2 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by banjicom(m): 10:16am On Dec 07, 2013
Pls if u don't know who Mandela is, please b silent,
haba!! I just saw a girls dp and pm saying 'RIP Mandela, I love your Moviessad another Actor is gone, God what is
happening in Nollywood?>:/

4 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by ayamAJ(m): 10:20am On Dec 07, 2013
[b][/b]"Show me a country where a man of 80 rules" ans 'Nigeria'

1 Like

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by ayusco85(m): 10:24am On Dec 07, 2013
Lemme book this space first. Then read the post
Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by andyanders: 10:31am On Dec 07, 2013
I listened to OBJ reading his tribute to Mandela and when I heard him say that he wanted Mandela to continue in office by contesting another election, and Mandela asked him a question " If he has seen an 80 old man contesting for an election" that he was taken aback.

In fact, I was ashamed of Obasanjo's comment and was glad to note that Mandela told him straight to his person that it was not right.
Obasanjo is a contradiction to human history and never took into account what Mandela told him by trying to make himself a life president by wanting to contest for third term.
Shame to him and his likes.
Mandela lived a simple life and the kind of house he had to himself. Look at Obasanjo who stole this nation dry and is enjoying his ill-gotten wealth.
Nobody can EVER be like Mandela in Africa. God is watching them.

2 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by cyril10(m): 10:31am On Dec 07, 2013
Obasanjo said shamelessly said all these things about Mandela, will same or half of it be said OBJ after his demise?

1 Like

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by Flawless(f): 10:36am On Dec 07, 2013
Lol @ obj by the way am on FP grin
Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by ayodot(m): 10:36am On Dec 07, 2013
tributes to the African greatest leader..
Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by scana042: 10:55am On Dec 07, 2013
so Obj knew of nobility all this while and never practice it, Well Mandela has shown that not all African leaders are greedy and see power as Do or die affairs. may is noble soul Rip

2 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by drnoel: 10:57am On Dec 07, 2013
pls OBJ shouldn´t try to stand with a true patrot cos he is not patrot but an oportunist and a thief who has no scrupples, just like most Nigerian leaders. The country is cursed with such and such will continue happening unless we change our mentality.

2 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by jerrymania(m): 11:15am On Dec 07, 2013
africa next hero my yansh. you just made your thread unpopular, and these mods sef, una wan kill nairaland

2 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by vislabraye(m): 11:25am On Dec 07, 2013
SLIDE waxie: my friend, u wil not be missed on Nairaland of u die. Ok? So soffri with ur unnecessary hatred.

In a million times than ever, OBJ is better off than ur idol and hero in biafra o!

U knw the rest of the story, dnt u?

Cos i dnt wanna talk abt the ladys' cloth or an absconder!

This has nothing to do with tribe. Na wa for the youth of this Nation. It's disappointing when young me and women start bringing up tribal issues.

OBJ can never be said to be a true African hero. He's far from that. This is one person that had the best opportunity to put his name in the annals of history. Even in his second coming, there was a lot of confidence in him. How has he improved the lot of Nigerians ?
FuNny thing is that the economy was more stable under Abacha than him.

3 Likes

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by youngice(m): 11:40am On Dec 07, 2013
Madiba, he called the Queen by name( reason because she called him Nelson) has a town named after him in Scotland. Has statues of him self In more than 15 Countries, . Did he ask for any of this? No.
fought for his country all his life. Stayed in jail for 27 years.
Voted the greatest man in Africa's history. Rip.

*in Artur Guinness voice *NOW THIS IS GREATNESS *
Obasanjo. nothing to say

1 Like

Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by wheesin(m): 11:46am On Dec 07, 2013
 my role model in politics is dead... cry Nelson Mandela I will miss u and MJ undecided ... My role model in music and dancing .. And Charlie Chaplin.. My role model in comedy lipsrsealed and paul walker my role model in acting....

cry cry

THE GREAT MEN ARE FINISHED
Re: My Life With Mandela – Obasanjo(africa Next Hero) by youngice(m): 11:51am On Dec 07, 2013
wheesin: H
see your life

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Onitsha was founded by Edo Prince.(by Nnamdi Azikiwe the zik of Africa) / Update Of Igbo Traders/yoruba Hudlums And Agberos / Rochas Okorocha’s University Is A Must See

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.