Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,029 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:10 AM

Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans (27011 Views)

See Ntel Data Plans: Bundle Sizes, Prices And Supported Devices / Cheapest Data Plans For Android, IOS And PC Users In April 2016 / Etisalat BIS Is Now 1500 And 1000 Monthly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ify84(m): 9:33am On Dec 07, 2013
DATA CONSUMPTION ON
ANDROID AND BLACKBERRY PHONES

The NCC as a regulator is responsible for
promotion of fair competition in the
communications industry and protection of
communications services and facilities providers from misuse of market power or anti-competitive and unfair practices by other service or facilities providers or equipment suppliers.

The issue of data usage on Blackberry and
Android smart phones has been generating a
lot of comments lately and the Commission has
a duty to protect and inform all stakeholders in
the industry on all issues of concern.

RIM, the manufacturer of BlackBerry, utilizes a
special compression algorithm to serve users of
Blackberry handsets who have subscribed for
Blackberry internet service. Whenever such a
subscriber browses the internet and opens a
webpage, a request is sent via the handset's
browser requesting for the page to be
downloaded to the phone. This request is
channeled to RIM’s gateway in Canada, which
fetches the webpage, compresses it and sends
the compressed data back to the BlackBerry
phone as a download.

On an Android phone, the request to open a
webpage by telephone subscribers is sent to the gateway of the network operator which then
processes the information and sends back the
page to the Android phone as a download (the
data is not compressed - thereby requiring more bandwidth).

The amount of bandwidth uploaded is identical
between both Blackberry and Android phones,
the difference lies in the fact that most of what
subscribers do on their phones is to download
content which varies on both. BlackBerry is
indirectly subsidizing bandwidth by compressing the content downloaded by subscribers.

In effect, an internet subscriber using an
Android smartphone to open a webpage may be downloading 100KB of data, while a subscriber using a Blackberry opening the very same webpage would be downloading 25KB due to the compression of data by RIM.

Bandwidth in Nigeria is an expensive resource,
because most data is transferred wirelessly. This
is the reason why the NCC is promoting wired
infrastructure around the country through such
projects as WIN (Wire Nigeria) as well promoting
a Broadband Roadmap for the country which
will greatly reduce the cost of bandwidth
thereby reducing the cost of browsing the
internet on smartphones.

d above was NCC response to my query on why can't network providers make other data cheap instead of on blackberry............

26 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by philtrum(m): 9:38am On Dec 07, 2013
it's understandable but let them still come up with a fair and reasonable subscription plan.

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ify84(m): 9:44am On Dec 07, 2013
philtrum: it's understandable but let them still come up with a fair and reasonable subscription plan.
abi.... I did reply ncc.... if na 500mb self for 1k, make them tell network providers to do for us...

9 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by phiszo(m): 4:00pm On Dec 07, 2013
@mod. This is a front page material.

2 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by babarazy: 4:09pm On Dec 07, 2013
ify84: DATA CONSUMPTION ON
ANDROID AND BLACKBERRY PHONES

d above was NCC response to my query on why can't network providers make other data cheap instead of on blackberry............

Show us the copy of the NCC response sent to you cos I believe you copy and paste this post.

7 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by beckyomas(f): 4:13pm On Dec 07, 2013
I hope those naive guys breaking their sim and insulting airtel would see this. Simple logic.

2 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 4:37pm On Dec 07, 2013
beckyomas: I hope those naive guys breaking their sim and insulting airtel would see this. Simple logic.

How is this logic simple, assuming I subscribe to Bb 3gig plan does it mean that 3gig equates to less data on bb and more on android?

41 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 4:44pm On Dec 07, 2013
Regardless of the blackberry compression algorithm, data plans can be made a lot cheaper than they are now, Our network providers are exploiting us.

11 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 5:11pm On Dec 07, 2013
The worst part is the speed of their network, you pay for expensive data plans on a substandard network that can't even climax 1mbps, meanwhile in some developing Asian countries, you can get an unlimited data plan @5mbps and higher for less than 3k with 80gb as fair usage, no exaggeration.

4 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Anomnity: 6:27pm On Dec 07, 2013
The OP is perfect reason Android data should be cheaper than blackberry.

6 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by econity(m): 8:03pm On Dec 07, 2013
this logic is faulty to the core, allocating 3g to BlackBerry for 1k5 is still thesame as allocating 3g to android if both of them are capable of exhausting it at the end of the month, if RIM is compressing data usage and a blackberry user decide to open a supposed 100kb page which means it'll be compressed by RIM to 25kb, and you open such page 4 times and an android user opens it once, is it not thesame data consumption.
to me, this is baseless. let allocate thesame data to both, leave it to android to drain its own faster while RIM compress its own for BB users.

134 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ayodot(m): 9:04pm On Dec 07, 2013
The compression story by the OP holds no ground. The only time when data is compressed by rim is wen
1. one browse with Blackberry default browse
2. when using other Blackberry services..
Before mtn capped it bb data, a friend downloads movies and music of up to 20gig and with the use of ucweb blackberry another friend download films and software of about 3gig.
We only ask for the same volume of data allocate to BB be allocate to all device

9 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 9:42am On Dec 08, 2013
this is a very wrong logic, either RIM compresses for bb and Android doesn't does not matter one bit. what we are saying is give both same amount of data for same amount of money so that usage will be at their own detriment simple or is RIM paying for data service for bb owners

9 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Lucy360love(f): 10:06am On Dec 08, 2013
11 years Old Nigerian creates A Social Network.
This is the site

2 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by eluquenson(m): 10:08am On Dec 08, 2013
Let Android makers do likewise lipsrsealed
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by LMAyedun(m): 10:08am On Dec 08, 2013
babarazy:

Show us the copy of the NCC response sent to you cos I believe you copy and paste this post.
Na Wah 4u oh!!!
LOL!!! cheesy
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:08am On Dec 08, 2013
Ok. The amount we pay monthly for subscription is still expensive.

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by crackjoor: 10:10am On Dec 08, 2013
Ok, wot if I decided to download videos or musics with my BB will RIM compress the size? All dis reasons makes no sense to me joor!

4 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by codernoni: 10:12am On Dec 08, 2013
Story.. Nokia consumes less data than backberry without any compression. If u doubte, use etisalat 15mb on nokia s40 fone den use d same on ur blackberry then come bak hia and like dis post!

45 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by lolade123: 10:13am On Dec 08, 2013
As for me, I think Google or the proprietors of Android are to take the blame.Google has all the resource in this world to create an Android Insternet Subscription just like the BIS.Why make a good device with a bad internet subscription plan.It like making a car with a bad fuel economy.

4 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by bxcode(m): 10:13am On Dec 08, 2013
No matter how you look at it for now, BB subscription is cheaper than android, compression or no compression, period!!

4 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Gabrielsylar(m): 10:14am On Dec 08, 2013
Tell it to dem tecno freaks.....BB is technology

3 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by wazobiaforu(m): 10:14am On Dec 08, 2013
Story story by Nigerian service after collecting huge bribe.

Give me 3G for 1000 naira on my iphone, nothing concern you if I finish it in a day.

Baseless and senseless reply from NCC

29 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 10:15am On Dec 08, 2013
we have hear.....wetin next?
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by bimbor(m): 10:15am On Dec 08, 2013
econity: this logic is faulty to the core, allocating 3g to BlackBerry for 1k5 is still thesame as allocating 3g to android if both of them are capable of exhausting it at the end of the month, if RIM is compressing data usage and a blackberry user decide to open a supposed 100kb page which means it'll be compressed by RIM to 25kb, and you open such page 4 times and an android user opens it once, is it not thesame data consumption.
to me, this is baseless. let allocate thesame data to both, leave it to android to drain its own faster while RIM compress its own for BB users.

Exactly. You're so on point sir!
Give me 3GB. Don't worry about how I consume it. 3GB is 3GB whether on blackberry or android. This NCC guys sabi math so?

7 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by stevolinkon40: 10:16am On Dec 08, 2013
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by jmoore(m): 10:16am On Dec 08, 2013
Data is data, compressed or not. What a buncombe!

3 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by kevoh(m): 10:17am On Dec 08, 2013
Data plan starting from #1000 for 10 gig across all telecomms network platform is what we are asking for NCC. Forget all these compression story.
ify84:
Bandwidth in Nigeria is an expensive resource,
because most data is transferred wirelessly.

Makes no sense to me, data is transferred wirelessly around the world why is ours different and that expensive.

4 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by kellsmania: 10:17am On Dec 08, 2013
clean bold 5 for sale@35k reach me on 07036690816.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ichidodo: 10:18am On Dec 08, 2013
What does the O.p take us for?! Kids?!?! Leave the bandwidth open for both parties, whoever drains his own quicker its his own palaver.This 'compression' logic is a bag of donkeys

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Which Phone Company First Brought The Fingerprint Technology To Nigeria? / How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why / Iphone 13 Space Satellite Features

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.