Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? (5482 Views)

Poll: i will rather remain in nigeria

yes: 40% (32 votes)
no: 43% (34 votes)
undecided: 16% (13 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Nigeria Worth Dying For? / Total Makes Offshore Oil Discovery In Nigeria Worth 85,000 Barrels A Day / How Much Is Nigeria Worth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:51am On Jul 30, 2008
Even [size=16pt]SUPER EAGLES[/size] wey we been dey try use console ourself never win anything since 1996.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by vowiski(m): 4:26am On Jul 30, 2008
Okija_juju:

Even [size=16pt]SUPER EAGLES[/size] wey we been dey try use console ourself never win anything since 1996.
lol.
no be small thing, wetin happen to NIGCOMSAT1.
naija, long way down.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by kosovo(m): 5:09am On Jul 30, 2008
shocked
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by sleekymag(m): 11:56am On Jul 30, 2008
What would you call a glass cup of water whose level is at the middle?

An optimist would say it is half-filled smiley
A pessimist will say it is half-empty shocked

So it depends on the p.o.v. with which you look at it. Even they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Ugliness sef dey d eye of the beholder grin. One man’s meat na another man poison.

But what baffles me is the way Nigerians bad-mouth their own country. Nigeria is a country very much worth living in. We may not be there yet; we may have issues with the power sector, security, roads, etc. Other countries even the developed ones also have their own fair share of problems (in their own forms). There are opportunities in Nigeria, the opportunity to right every wrong, the opportunity to make things work.

Some people are helpless, but those who think they can do something in their own little way to better the country are free to do so. It’s easy to blame government and our leaders while you sit and do nothing. Nigeria’s major problem is with its citizenry, it’s all about orientation, it’s about mindset. If one can’t do anything to even help Nigeria, one should at least say nothing if no good that can come out of one’s mouth. wink

We should learn to criticize constructively with a view to making things better rather than outright condemnation. For those who have lost total hope in Nigeria, they can leave the country and if they already have left, not bother coming back for the rest of their lives (i hope they find fulfillment sha lipsrsealed). Being a second-class citizen will never being compared to being in your home country, contributing in your own little way to see it blossom. wink cool
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jul 30, 2008
Eziachi:

Say all you like, but patriotism don't put any food on the table. One can try when there is something to try on. You can't blame an illiterate for want of trying when there no schools, no teachers or even book for him to try educate him selve. How does a person from a very poor family ever going to try? If he learn a trade, no money to buy equipment or stock, If his parent borrowed to the sky to send him to cetain level of education, no job of any sort after school, not even Okada is possible for him to get his hands on.

Do you know how much a hard working okada man earns in a day? Is there any village without at least a primary school in Nigeria now? People have problems of funding their careers even in the so-called developed countries. Not everybody was born with a golden spoon in h/her mouth!!
Eziachi:

There is a big difference between available opportunity, little opportunity, lack of opportunity and no opportunity whatsoever and the last one is what greater percentage of Nigerians are going through. There are two groups on this forum, those that are lucky to escape abroad and those in Nigeria with opportunity or little opportunity. They can afford having a computer and internet line or can afford to go to internet cafe to hit their keyboard. They forgot that in Nigeria at the moment there are people who what you spent at internet cafe for two hours will seem like manna from heaven.
There are little opportunities in Nigeria, no doubt about that. Largely as a result of the mismanagement of our resources, greed on the part of our leaders and absolute corruption in the high places. But a poverty survey conducted recently in my state showed that 70% of the people are not poor. This is as against the 80% perceived poverty level. People don’t have computers not cos they can’t afford it, but cos they prefer to buy the latest GSMs and eat in Mr. Biggs daily and shop in boutiques just to show off. You forget that people only go for what they consider priority. Doesn’t mean they can’t afford it.
Eziachi:

As we speak, there are Nigerians dyeing in the North African deserts, trying to find a better life, just anywhere except Nigeria. And the alternative for them is going back home and become a robber or the new trend- kidnapping.
You amaze me; you can as well say that Nigerians invented crime out of a primal need to escape poverty. Even this so-called 419 they accuse us of, I’m sure u know that we did not invent it.
Eziachi:

Without the billions foreign exchange that Nigerians abroad send home every single day to their families, I wonder what will become of Nigeria today? Those are the money holding the economy together because they are in circulation. Where teachers are still paid an equivalent of what can buy you a happy meal at any KFC or Bugger king.
How do they manage?
How do they manage with their income? Ever heard of standard of living. We wouldn’t all be complaining if we can all cut our coat according to our sizes
Eziachi:

In 2005 I saw a son of a former class mate of mine, a 2nd class UNN graduate degree holder in civil engineering serving Buggers at Mrs Biggs in Owerri. He has no choice or turns to crime, so go and tell him that Nigeria is worth living. Tell me how it's worth living if not for myopic and idiotic rhetoric’s of patriotism?
If you are in Nigeria, u’d know that graduating form a higher institution’s not the problem. Passing an aptitude test to get a job is. You’d be surprised to discover that many so-called graduates can’t even speak good English. Lots of company employ graduates everyday, and the competition's high cos even thoght the opportunities are not enough, they do exist!!. To survive in this country, you have to be from a very rich family, extremely lucky or very good at what you do. I have a friend who 'sorted' her way through school but couldnt even write a proper CV. Tell me, is she any less of a graduate?? But people like you judge thsi country cos of people like her. Tell you friend's son to read he's GMAT and apply for PWC, UI'm sure he'd get the job wink

Anyway, am not trying to be blind to the failed system in this country, I just dont understand why people complain all the time, when we all know that the problem is not with individuals, but with the system. I'm sure every politician was good untill they got into politics. Then you get forced into doing things you ordinarily would not believ yourself capable of doing. Now the pressure comes from everywhere, your family, you political party, your Godfathers and poeple like y'all on forums like this,

So you gusy can go ahead and declare nothing's worth the pains; but me, I'll always look at the glass as half-filled!!
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by cold(m): 1:06pm On Jul 30, 2008
Ujujoan,i feel u but blind patriotism neva helped anybody.Nigeria is more or less a failed state period.Save for oil where wld Nigeria be today.Other oil producing countries are changing the lives of their citizenry with the sky-rocketing price of oil,what is happening in this country,zilch.A country like the Netherlands which is one of the world's largest producers of oil is saving billions for future generations & also in any event the oil runs out.What obtains in this country,primitive accumulation for self and family.So plz spare us all this sermon abt patriotism,we know better.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by sleekymag(m): 1:34pm On Jul 30, 2008
but me, I'll always look at the glass as half-filled!!

That's d spirit! E go better!
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by beninman(m): 1:43pm On Jul 30, 2008
All these things that all of you are writing here, there is just one way to make our country better. We need to rise now and tell our leaders enough is enough! We want to to live as human in our country for our children sake. The problem is not you and me, it is Yaradua and chief Justice! This two has the power in their hand to change Nigeria today if they want to. The only thing we ordinary Nigeria can do is to pressure them. We all saw what happens in Kenyan few weeks ago. Things like that is what Nigeria want!

For example, a Bomb set off at a police station killing more than 30 police men and TV station get a recorded tape with a message that will say, enough is enough in this country. Our leaders need to stop corruption and it must stop now. In the next few weeks another Bomb again and the same message follow again. Until the Bomb reach Abuja or Obasanjo house and Yaradua's house. Then the world will hear from Nigerians.

This is the way we can get out country back from those Demonic agents that are been ruling our country in the way of their Devil king. Some innocent people will lost their lives, and innocents will be arrested but all these police bribing here and bribing there will stop! The country will scarthered and rearrange herself again and then a law abiding citizen will become out president and everything will just go well.

We all know the devil mission, he will destroy all of us if we don't act now to chaise him away from our country. When bribing & corruption go, every body will be doing their job and will be paid. Police will do their jobs, teachers will do their jobs, Doctors will do their jobs, state Government will do their job, President will do his job, and we will all be serious.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by ayomifull(f): 2:00pm On Jul 30, 2008
beninman:

All these things that all of you are writing here, there is just one way to make our country better. We need to rise now and tell our leaders enough is enough! We want to to live as human in our country for our children sake. The problem is not you and me, it is Yaradua and chief Justice! This two has the power in their hand to change Nigeria today if they want to. The only thing we ordinary Nigeria can do is to pressure them. We all saw what happens in Kenyan few weeks ago. Things like that is what Nigeria want!

For example, a Bomb set off at a police station killing more than 30 police men and TV station get a recorded tape with a message that will say, enough is enough in this country. Our leaders need to stop corruption and it must stop now. In the next few weeks another Bomb again and the same message follow again. Until the Bomb reach Abuja or Obasanjo house and Yaradua's house. Then the world will hear from Nigerians.

This is the way we can get out country back from those Demonic agents that are been ruling our country in the way of their Devil king. Some innocent people will lost their lives, and innocents will be arrested but all these police bribing here and bribing there will stop! The country will scarthered and rearrange herself again and then a law abiding citizen will become out president and everything will just go well.

We all know the devil mission, he will destroy all of us if we don't act now to chaise him away from our country. When bribing & corruption go, every body will be doing their job and will be paid. Police will do their jobs, teachers will do their jobs, Doctors will do their jobs, state Government will do their job, President will do his job, and we will all be serious.

Oya how do we start jare? at least you have been able to give us a way out. But remember before this killing will reach the real people killing the country most of us who are trying to fight blindly would have been killed while those guys' children would have been flown abroad before you even remember their names. And for the bomb to reach aso rock? joke of the century. I feel you but honestly i cant come up with a solution to all these mess, so like Obj said 'whatever you don't have or can not have then leave it to God' lol
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by beninman(m): 2:10pm On Jul 30, 2008
Listen! we will not do it like the Niger Deltas! No body will ever comeout to say I am fighting for anything! The voice will be the tape record. and the fighter will be the Bomb that is setting off. All we need to do is, prepare the Bomb and carefully place it around those criminal that we know that have steal our money over. Just like those Bin Laden Bomb, you understand? Putting those Bomb together is so easy! It doesn't cost much.

It will take up to a year for the Bomb war to finish. I know the whole world will hear what is happening in Nigeria and they will say their ming too. If Anini can do what he and his friends did for their selves years back, why can't a better one be planed now and I know the whole country will be in favor of it.

They will not know no one! Messages will only be played on TV and Radio warning our leaders to stop stealing our money or else more of them will die and loose all they have soon.

Don't mind my english! I am from the village! I did not go school ooooo!

I am not going anywhere! I am a Nigerian and I will remain a Nigerian! This is why I have to do all I can to save my country from Devil!
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by ziga: 2:18pm On Jul 30, 2008
[/quote]In fact I don tire, this country na wa oooooooooooo. This country is not worth staying neither is worth wasting our precious human abilities and resources. Or is it?
[quote]

Considering the poster's above statement, this whole thread would qualify as a waste of internet resources as well as time. Wouldn't it.

If Nigeria is not worth anything at all like we always try to make it seem, why is it that it is always the subject of so many discussions. Lets face facts, Nigeria is not the best of countries and only very few people will get the opportunity to leave for better positions in better countries. In fact, out of the desperation of leaving Naija, some people end up in situations i will never wish for my enemies.

In my opinion, most people who bad mouth are secretly hoping and praying for things to get better so that they can return home, or else why are you so bothered.

If that is the situation, why don't you convert the energy you use in complaining into some other thing that might move Nigeria forward.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by airegin: 2:24pm On Jul 30, 2008
We all speak of revolution which I do believe is exactly what the country need to move forward. How many of us are actually ready to take part in the revolution?

Mr. Beninman…if I may ask you; are you living in the country currently and are you ready to lay down your life for what you speak off.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by beninman(m): 2:39pm On Jul 30, 2008
Mr. Beninman…if I may ask you; are you living in the country currently and are you ready to lay down your life for what you speak off

I am a benin man my friend! If you are a Nigerian, you should know by now that Benins don't just talk, we are doers! I just give you hints of what will be happening in our country Nigeria soon. I just mention the targets! I am not coming out to say I am the leader and I am among the people that are doing it. Every thing will happen under the bed and the smoke will be seen far away. Police will then be careful in the street before they can even axcept bribe. Governors will then know what to do.

Just a little money will finish this job my friend, there is no risk involve at all. It is under the table and it will target our past president and Governors and those corrupt police officers and their work places! Few innocent people will die with them but, the blood of those innocents will set the country free from evil rule. Period!

I am in Nigeria! I have traveled Europe, USA, Japan and so many countried around the world and I have see things and done things and have ask myself questions of how and what to do to make Nigeria like some of those countries I have visited. The only answer that come to my mind is this. And I have just one supporter at this point.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 30, 2008
cold:

Ujujoan,i feel u but blind patriotism never helped anybody.Nigeria is more or less a failed state period.Save for oil where would Nigeria be today.Other oil producing countries are changing the lives of their citizenry with the sky-rocketing price of oil,what is happening in this country,zilch.A country like the Netherlands which is one of the world's largest producers of oil is saving billions for future generations & also in any event the oil runs out.What obtains in this country,primitive accumulation for self and family.So plz spare us all this sermon about patriotism,we know better.

Neither has unconstructive criticism. Other Oil Producing Countres are not Nigerians. That thats the uniques nature of life. Different strokes for Diffrent folks. Nigeria has a serious problem, I've never denied that, but tell me how all this grumbling and nagging is going to help.

beninman:

Mr. Beninman…if I may ask you; are you living in the country currently and are you ready to lay down your life for what you speak off

Just a little money will finish this job my friend, there is no risk involve at all. It is under the table and it will target our past president and Governors and those corrupt police officers and their work places! Few innocent people will die with them but, the blood of those innocents will set the country free from evil rule. Period!

Thats a little jungle justice, but at least its an effort. lipsrsealed
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by beninman(m): 3:03pm On Jul 30, 2008
@Ujujoan
tell me how all this grumbling and nagging is going to help

If you don’t grumble and nagging how come you beat your children when they go wrong? You have to get annoyed and then you grumble and nag and beat them when they refuse to hear you and they change! Grumbling and nagging will help a lot if you don't know mamma.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by madamkoko: 3:06pm On Jul 30, 2008
There is still hope for Nigeria. [/b]

First step is to BAN RELIGION. shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Gonorrhea(m): 3:07pm On Jul 30, 2008
madamkoko:

First step is to BAN RELIGION. shocked shocked shocked shocked

agree with you grin

and ban politics too!!
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by madamkoko: 3:19pm On Jul 30, 2008
I don't know about banning politics but removing the discussion of religion from Politics.

Just because a politician gives a G.O. or Pastor FREE STOLEN LAND, doesn't mean that church members have to vote for this person. (Not that voting exists in Nigerian anyways BUT still )

Banning religion from Nigeria would allow people to THINK LOGICALLY and I think that until then will people begin to hold thier government official RESPONSIBLE.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by madamkoko: 3:29pm On Jul 30, 2008
Hypothetically speaking: A popular pastor can get up and say "God told me that Obasanjo should become president again"

Nigerians will take this statement as fact and will support obasanjo and do everything in their power to make sure that he gets into power again.

This is how stupid Nigerians are.

When logic (common sense) is there, stupidity has no place.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Jul 30, 2008
madamkoko:

Hypothetically speaking: A popular pastor can get up and say "God told me that Obasanjo should become president again"

Nigerians will take this statement as fact and will support obasanjo and do everything in their power to make sure that he gets into power again.

This is how stupid Nigerians are.

When logic (common sense) is there, stupidity has no place.

Ok ,  we are agreed,  logic is good,  may I suggest that your yourself subscribe to Logic as well?? Cause from where I sit, you are just yapping, and making no sense.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by madamkoko: 3:33pm On Jul 30, 2008
Kobojunkie: you have started again oh. tell me what you don't understand.

Im quite certain i'm entitled to my opinion.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Kobojunkie: 3:36pm On Jul 30, 2008
madamkoko:

Kobojunkie: you have started again oh. tell me what you don't understand.

I'm quite certain i'm entitled to my opinion.

-- and so am I. What has banning religion to do with instilling logic into people? What does the ban or the one to do with the other? Isn't this sort of the reasoning or lack thereof behind the so called move by a Nigerian senator to ban generators? You mean if you ban religion, common sense automatically reigns? Are you kidding me? Suddenly all of Nigeria's problem is from the pulpits and mosques? Are you joking? Nevermind the cowardice of the people who are more willing to sell out their own than to speak out against injustice in their own country there, we should instead ban religion to solve Nigeria's problem? Are you kidding me?
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by madamkoko: 3:55pm On Jul 30, 2008

Believe it or not, religion has a lot to do with the backwardness of the country and the lack of accountability.

Look at Obasanjo, telling us to leave our electricity problems to God.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Gonorrhea(m): 3:58pm On Jul 30, 2008
madamkoko:

Believe it or not, religion has a lot to do with the backwardness of the country and the lack of accountability.

OBJ is off no relevance in this world

I am waiting for the confirmation of his ticket "for an express lane ride to Hell"

I have never taken him seriously for once because he his clueless

True, religion is a massive contributory factor to the progress of Nigeria
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by faoni572(m): 3:59pm On Jul 30, 2008
madamkoko:

There is iota of truth here, people believe too much that God will come down and provide things for them.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Kobojunkie: 4:01pm On Jul 30, 2008
madamkoko:

Interesting, so Obasanjo making such a statements is reason why we should attack people's belief in God instead of going after the man for his actions and words? In the name of Logic, please start making sensible connections.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Bolarge(m): 4:02pm On Jul 30, 2008
@Topic
With all of my heart,
With everything within me, I say a big YES.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by sleekymag(m): 4:10pm On Jul 30, 2008
First step is to BAN RELIGION.

How many of the developed countries in the world have banned religion? Is it America (In God we trust) or what? I'd say your ideology is illogical. Personal bias against religion doesn't mean it hasn't got its good sides to nation building too.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by madamkoko: 4:22pm On Jul 30, 2008
why we should attack people's belief in God instead of going after the man for his actions and words?

Religion has got nothing to do with the belief in faith/God/Muhammed.

I am NOT religious but I believe in the existence of a higher being.

Religion is organized. It has been a powerful tool of oppression and suppression for years and many more years to come.  People in Nigeria don't go after men because Pastors preach obey your leaders. Respect your leaders. God will intervene on your behalf, God fight for you. God will this and that,
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by madamkoko: 4:27pm On Jul 30, 2008
How many of the developed countries in the world have banned religion?

How many people in positions of power in developing and developed countries are religious?

Chavez is a very vocal politician. He doesn't say "I have to wait for God to tell me how to talk to Bush or negotiate oil contracts"

He acts.

Nigerian masses are expected to talk to a pastor or wait for answers to thier prayers before they act upon a situation.
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by Kobojunkie: 4:31pm On Jul 30, 2008
madamkoko:

Religion has got nothing to do with the belief in faith/God/Muhammed.
I am NOT religious but I believe in the existence of a higher.
What the heck has that to do with dealing with Nigeria’s problem?

madamkoko:

Religion is organized. It has been a powerful tool of oppression and suppression for years and many more years to come. People in Nigeria don't go after men because Pastors preach obey your leaders. Respect your leaders. God will intervene on your behalf, God fight for you. God will this and that,
You can try to define Religion as you want to but that does not change the fact that you trying to pin the blame on Religion remain ridiculous. You mean all the SPEAK-GOOD-ABOUT-NIGERIA-ALWAYS-NO-MATTER-HOW-SENSELESS-IT-MAY-SEEM drones we have on here on NAIRALAND are all religious people? ROFLMAO!!! Cause these happen to be the suppressed ones her have more a problem with. Does banning religion lead to the opening of their eyes to the fact that to cause change they need to open up and speak out against the ills in our society and our nation?
Re: Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? by madamkoko: 4:33pm On Jul 30, 2008
All they can do is speak.

But believe it or not, Religion has a lot to do with the backwardness of the country and the lack of accountability.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Phcn Workers Afraid Of Change - Prof. Barth Nnaji / MC Oluomo Excited As He Visits Transport Workers Union In America. Photos / Does Your State Have Enough Judges?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.