Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:41 AM

Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies (9548 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Any Viable Investment For Intending Retiree With Little Or No Supervision / Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Dumexoga: 8:28am On Dec 13, 2013
Good morning my fellow nairalanders, it's good to be here. I strongly advice everyone here to consider japaul oil. That stock will shock people soon. At this current price, it's good for a discerning investor to take position. If you have been on this game for long, you will understand what I mean. Transcorp was at this same price some time ago, but check the difference today. I have already aquired millions of units, because I really made so much profit from transcorp.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by phemmie06(m): 11:29am On Dec 13, 2013
Dumexoga: Good morning my fellow nairalanders, it's good to be here. I strongly advice everyone here to consider japaul oil. That stock will shock people soon. At this current price, it's good for a discerning investor to take position. If you have been on this game for long, you will understand what I mean. Transcorp was at this same price some time ago, but check the difference today. I have already aquired millions of units, because I really made so much profit from transcorp.

Thanks. I am not disputing you, but what makes you think so
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by SWG1: 12:29pm On Dec 13, 2013
Dumexoga: Good morning my fellow nairalanders, it's good to be here. I strongly advice everyone here to consider japaul oil. That stock will shock people soon. At this current price, it's good for a discerning investor to take position. If you have been on this game for long, you will understand what I mean. Transcorp was at this same price some time ago, but check the difference today. I have already aquired millions of units, because I really made so much profit from transcorp.
If there is no fact to your claims, then our money will be tied down longer than expected instead of making money for us in some other stock . Thanks for jolting my instinct anyway
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Curiouscity(m): 4:40pm On Dec 13, 2013
Hello 'house',

My question is: Is it possible for a person to buy any stock in Nigeria without appearing in person? I am presently outside but interested in investing in stocks. Any broker that can deal directly online?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Heanry(m): 5:51pm On Dec 13, 2013
Curious_city: Hello 'house',

My question is: Is it possible for a person to buy any stock in Nigeria without appearing in person? I am presently outside but interested in investing in stocks. Any broker that can deal directly online?
yes boss. You can place your buy or sell order using the brockers online platform. You can try to google meritrade or morgan capital ltd. For morgan capital you can call their costomer care line +2348107596134.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Curiouscity(m): 7:30pm On Dec 13, 2013
Heanry :
yes boss. You can place your buy or sell order using the brockers online platform. You can try to google meritrade or morgan capital ltd. For morgan capital you can call their costomer care line +2348107596134.

Thanks a bunch. I will start getting requirements for maritrade and give them a trial.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 9:42pm On Dec 13, 2013
Curious_city:

Thanks a bunch. I will start getting requirements for maritrade and give them a trial.

Try meritrade you won't regret it. I am using them presently.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by ihedioramma: 9:51pm On Dec 13, 2013
hello civilserva, what do you have to say about this post? Is the stock in your portfo?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by ihedioramma: 10:01pm On Dec 13, 2013
civilserva:

Try meritrade you won't regret it. I am using them presently.
WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT JAPAUL POST? IS IT IN YOUR PORTFO?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 8:11am On Dec 14, 2013

Any news from the company?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 8:29am On Dec 14, 2013
ihedioramma: WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT JAPAUL POST? IS IT IN YOUR PORTFO?

This stock has been traded on daily basis but still the price is not heading northward. The volume of trade signifies investors interest on the stock, taking position in anticipation of an upward movement. At 50k the price ok, but you must determine how long you are prepared to wait and what percentage of your trading fund you are willing to commit. Any positive news from the company and their next quarterly result will largely affect the stock movement.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by jamace(m): 11:13am On Dec 14, 2013
ihedioramma: WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT JAPAUL POST? IS IT IN YOUR PORTFO?
This stock has a surprise for investors, positive one of course, because throughout last month and to now, it has been trading with higher volume without the stock price appreciating. I think, twice or thrice it appreciated by a kobo but returned to car park before end of trading day. I'm in the bus waiting patiently (as usual cheesy grin) because I know that One day Japaul will make me proud like TRANSCORP.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by SWG1: 12:26pm On Dec 14, 2013
jamace: This stock has a surprise for investors, positive one of course, because throughout last month and to now, it has been trading with higher volume without the stock price appreciating. I think, twice or thrice it appreciated by a kobo but returned to car park before end of trading day. I'm in the bus waiting patiently (as usual cheesy grin) because I know that One day Japaul will make me proud like TRANSCORP.
he dat is down fears no fall, but only has a only a problem of wen to stand up. join now for some risk or wen it's about rising.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by bintalabi(f): 5:35pm On Dec 14, 2013
My level of amateur is far less to what I'm seeing here
Where do I start self
Too much questions to ask
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 6:38pm On Dec 14, 2013
bintalabi: My level of amateur is far less to what I'm seeing here
Where do I start self
Too much questions to ask

This place is for you, start rolling out the questions
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by ihedioramma: 8:19pm On Dec 14, 2013
jamace: This stock has a surprise for investors, positive one of course, because throughout last month and to now, it has been trading with higher volume without the stock price appreciating. I think, twice or thrice it appreciated by a kobo but returned to car park before end of trading day. I'm in the bus waiting patiently (as usual cheesy grin) because I know that One day Japaul will make me proud like TRANSCORP.
Thank's i understand, u are wellcome to the room long time?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by bintalabi(f): 9:33pm On Dec 14, 2013
I want to invest the little money am earning before I graduate next year
Where and how do I buy shares?
Stockbrokers help to buy and sell shares, how do they make profit for themselves?
What is cscs account as u stated above and how does it works?

Too much questions? Sorry, More to come
Help me with these ones first
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 11:28pm On Dec 14, 2013
bintalabi: I want to invest the little money am earning before I graduate next year

You can buy through a registered stockbroker. Stockbrokers can be found in any state of the Federation. There are some with Online Trading platform where you carryout all your transactions without being physically present.

Stockbrokers help to buy and sell shares, how do they make profit for themselves?

Stockbrokers make money by charging you commission called brokerage for every transaction. You also pay commission to SEC and CSCS, the total commission is about 2% of the investing amount.

Central Securities Clearing System Ltd. (CSCS) is the clearing house for the Nigerian stock Exchange market. CSCS is an integrated central securities depository (CSD), a clearing (transfer of shares from seller to buyer) and settlement (payment for bought securities) service provider for all stock market transactions. All securities listed on the NSE’s must have their certificates deposited (electronically or physically) with CSCS before they can be bought or sold. It is the duty of your stock broker to register you with the CSCS and you will be given investors number and Clearing House Number that uniquely identifies you. With CSCS, your broker is not the custodian of your share as you can move your shares from one broker to the other.

You are free

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by bintalabi(f): 8:25am On Dec 15, 2013
list the good ones that are present in Ibadan that I will appear physically

Will the 2% of the amount be deducted on every investment with the same stockbroker and company as you said one can buy even with 1k after opening the cscs account?
Will the 2% be deducted again when I want to sell the shares?
How will I know if my stockbroker is carrying out fraudulent transaction on my share?
Pls let me know the likely risk I will bear
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 6:22pm On Dec 15, 2013
bintalabi: list the good ones that are present in Ibadan that I will appear physically

I don't really know brokers in Ibadan as i live in Lagos, why not ask friends in Ibadan

Will the 2% of the amount be deducted on every investment with the same stockbroker and company as you said one can buy even with 1k after opening the cscs account?

Yes, any number of times you buy or sell shares, you must pay commission.
[/b]

Will the 2% be deducted again when I want to sell the shares?

[b]Whether you buy or sell shares, you pay commission, do not be scared about the commission you pay which is insignificant compared the amount of money you are likely to make from your investment. The hidden truth is that this commission can not sustain any stockbroking firm financially, that is why they also buy and sell shares for themselves.

How will I know if my stockbroker is carrying out fraudulent transaction on my share?

Once an account is opened for you, you'll receive CSCS account number through which you'll be alerted via SMS of every transaction that occurs in your account. Your stock broker has no control of SMS you recieve from CSCS. Whenever you receive alert of any transaction you never authorized, quickly ask him to reverse the transaction or else...

Pls let me know the likely risk I will bear

Throw more light, risk in investing on shares or dealing with Stockbrokers?

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by bintalabi(f): 9:20pm On Dec 15, 2013
Civilserva you are such a wonderful person, thanks

Risk in investing on shares and dealing with stockbroker
Is it possible for a stockbroker to sell my shares without informing me?and what will I do

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by ugo41babe(m): 5:50am On Dec 16, 2013
Pls how does one withdraw his money or profit from meritrade?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 7:10pm On Dec 16, 2013
bintalabi: Civilserva you are such a wonderful person, thanks

You are welcomed.

Risk in investing on shares and dealing with stockbroker
Is it possible for a stockbroker to sell my shares without informing me?and what will I do

Well every business has its own risk, making a well informed decision on share purchase will minimize the risk. That's exactly what this thread will address. A broker selling your share without telling you means he is engaging in fraudulent activity. Whenever the illegal transaction is detected, tell the broker to reverse the transaction within 24 hours or you take it up with the NSE and SEC. He will be punished and blacklisted. Above all, don't have any fear of loosing your investment through illegal transaction, the law is there to protect you.

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 7:20pm On Dec 16, 2013
ugo41babe: Pls how does one withdraw his money or profit from meritrade?

The first step is to sell the share, the proceed will credited to your Meritrade Account. Then log into your Meritrade account, click on Withdraw fund and enter the amount and your Bank Account will be credited.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by edwill: 10:24pm On Dec 16, 2013
thanks a million for ur explanation which I find very interesting, how I wish I had known this all along. I bought a thousand units of transcorp in 2007 & have left it at that till date. (it pain me that I did not buy more when it dropped to 0.50k). I got the certificate later and get someone to open a cscs account. he did and sent me the account number but I lost it and all efforts to contact him failed. is there any other way I can get the number and continue to invest? thanks
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 11:16pm On Dec 16, 2013
edwill: thanks a million for ur explanation which I find very interesting, how I wish I had known this all along. I bought a thousand units of transcorp in 2007 & have left it at that till date. (it pain me that I did not buy more when it dropped to 0.50k). I got the certificate later and get someone to open a cscs account. he did and sent me the account number but I lost it and all efforts to contact him failed. is there any other way I can get the number and continue to invest? thanks

Did u lodge the share certificate with CSCS? Have you carried out transactions (buy/sell) with the CSCS account number? Can you still remember the Broker that opened the account for you?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by INFOTECH2: 5:36pm On Dec 17, 2013
civilserva: Let's with the banking industry, some experts recommended the following banking stocks for long term investment
FBN
GTB
ZENITH
ACCESS.

These banks have potentials to pay dividends yearly and bonus occasionally. The list can be adjusted any time.

With the way Access Bank is spending N200m on Mariah Carey, Dem no go fit pay Dividend ooo. Lol
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:45pm On Dec 17, 2013
bintalabi: I want to invest the little money am earning before I graduate next year

http://www.jarushub.com/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-nigeria-stock-exchange/

Anyone who has surplus funds after current living expenses must make an important decision. Should these surplus funds be used to improve current living stands? Or should it be invested to earn more income or build capital for the future? If investing is the choice, one of most popular avenues over the years has been common stocks (or shares). This questions and answers session is designed to clarify the myths about the stock market.

What is a Stock Exchange?

A stock exchange is an arrangement whereby large and small investors alike buy and sell through stockbrokers, securities (shares and bonds) of companies and government agencies. This arrangement could be through Computer, Internet, Telephone, Fax, Trading floor etc. The Stock Exchange provides the essential facilities for companies and government to raise money for business expansion and development projects through investors who own shares in corporations for the ultimate benefits of the economy.

When was the Nigerian Stock Exchange set up?

The Nigerian Stock Exchange (formerly The Lagos Stock Exchange) was incorporated in 1960, as a company limited by Guarantee, with Head Office in Lagos and branches in some cities like Abuja, Kano, Onitsha, Port Harcourt, Ibadan, Uyo, Yola etc, each providing a trading floor.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:47pm On Dec 17, 2013
INFO TECH:

With the way Access Bank is spending N200m on Mariah Carey, Dem no go fit pay Dividend ooo. Lol

Haba N200 million no reach the money wey dem dey buy diesel, petrol, service their cars and generators in 6 months
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 6:42am On Dec 18, 2013
Is Meritrade server down? I can't log into account.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How MMM Nigeria Intended To Come Back In January / Winthrills - Additional & Sustainable Income. Not A Get Rich Quickly Scheme / Nigerian Insurance Companies Get Recapitalisation Deadline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.