Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:28 AM

BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela (3396 Views)

Iā€™m More Than Ready To Meet Modu Sheriff In Court ā€“ Fani-kayode / Lower All Flag For Ojukwu And Declare A National Holiday by Musiwa / Design A Flag For Odua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by chimajii: 7:25am On Dec 08, 2013
Less than 48 hours after Nelson Mandela's death, a South Carolina sheriff is drawing national attention for refusing to lower his office's American flag to half-staff. Pickens County Sheriff Rick Clark says even though President Obama has ordered all flags flown at half-staff in honor of the former South African leader until Monday, his department isn't participating.Why?
In the statement he posted on Facebook, Clark said Mandela was not an American. He adds the appropriate place for the flag to be lowered is at our embassy in South Africa. CLARK: "This struck me, in my opinion, that having the flag at half-staff is for Americans who sacrifice for their country and who serve for their country. That's justa simple opinion, and that's what I thought."
While a president ordering flags be lowered for non-U.S. citizens is rare, it has been done in the past.
George W. Bush ordered flags be lowered for Pope John Paul II in 2005. The same was done for former Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin and former Egyptian President Anwar Sadat in the 80s and 90s following their assassinations. Clark told The Greenville News that the practice of lowering the flag to half-staff would lose its value if it was done for Mandela, but a local NAACP member said she hopes the sheriff lowers it in honor of Mandela as a sign of respect. MSNBC points out the flags actually were lowered to half-staff at the sheriff's office ā€” but for a different reason. Clark said it was lowered Friday to remember a deputy who died in the line of duty and Saturday in remembrance of Pearl Harbor Day. Even though President Obama ordered flags be lowered, Clark likely won't face any consequences for his decision, as there's no penalty for those who don't follow the order. The Congressional Research Service says the Flag Code, "functions simply as a guide to be voluntarily followed by civilians and civilian groups." (Via Congressional Research Service) Nelson Mandela died in South Africa on Thursday at the age of 95. He is expected to be laid to rest Dec. 15.

YOUR THOUGHTS??
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by SpcAgtOko: 7:27am On Dec 08, 2013
I agree with the Sheriff wink
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by chimajii: 7:30am On Dec 08, 2013
^^ Why so?? Is Mandela any different than other fallen heroes that its been done for??
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Afam4eva(m): 7:34am On Dec 08, 2013
The Sheriff has a point but why didn't we hear something like this when Pope John Paul died?
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by kokoA(m): 7:37am On Dec 08, 2013
He is a racist.. He can "go and die". Idiat!

9 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Brimmie(m): 7:41am On Dec 08, 2013
What do you want me to say?
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by bcomputer101: 7:59am On Dec 08, 2013
I'm not surprise jor.

THERE MUST SURELY BE A JUDAS!

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by austeen: 8:14am On Dec 08, 2013
The sherrif is a racist....datz all!
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Mynd44: 8:14am On Dec 08, 2013
The Nigerian flags on my street are flying at full mast.

She has a point and she followed it
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Mynd44: 8:15am On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva: The Sheriff has a point but why didn't we hear something like this when Pope John Paul died?
Perhaps this is another media stunt by the sheriff who might actually need the attention
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by CaptJHMiller: 8:22am On Dec 08, 2013
Enough with the sentiments.. the Sheriff is totally right, he has contributed nothing to the US. No doubt he is a hero, but to the south Africans, and maybe to some extent an icon to africans as a whole.
To the ameriacn, he's really irrelevant. No disreapect, but that just fact..

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by sizzlers(m): 8:22am On Dec 08, 2013
Obama don suffer, see comon sherif refusing central order

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Nobody: 8:23am On Dec 08, 2013
The oga at the top ordered everybody to fly the flag at half staff, but the racist says he won't cos isn't American and white.

He should go and die.
tongue

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Eobiabo(m): 8:24am On Dec 08, 2013
Doing d right thing wrongly.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Omen100(m): 8:25am On Dec 08, 2013
I haven't eaten since thursday night after the death of Nelson Mandela, that's my way of paying respect to the African.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by chimajii: 8:30am On Dec 08, 2013
Mynd_44:
Perhaps this is another media stunt by the sheriff who might actually need the attention

^^ I tell U....there is always a BUTT in the BUNCH...!
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Mynd44: 8:33am On Dec 08, 2013
chimajii:

^^ I tell U....there is always a BUTT in the BUNCH...!
But the sheriff is right to an extent sha
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by chimajii: 8:38am On Dec 08, 2013
Mynd_44:
But the sheriff is right to an extent sha

^^ him for wait after ds time.....Y nah for mandela turn?
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Nobody: 8:39am On Dec 08, 2013
The sheriff messed up,Mandela's influence cut across the world,he's someone to be reckoned with,he was a Hero to South Africa,and Africa as a whole..
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Nobody: 8:40am On Dec 08, 2013
Omen100: I haven't eaten since thursday night after the death of Nelson Mandela, that's my way of paying respect to the African.
. You can lie ooooooooooooooooooooooo. How many days dry fasting and you still have the power to type,my guy God is watching you.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Mynd44: 8:43am On Dec 08, 2013
chimajii:

^^ him for wait after ds time.....Y nah for mandela turn?
Attention seeking na grin
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Psychedelia(m): 8:48am On Dec 08, 2013
Omen100: I haven't eaten since thursday night after the death of Nelson Mandela, that's my way of paying respect to the African.

Others dey write tributes and lower flags, you dey participate for the Hunger Games Olympics.

Anyway, all join.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by elari(m): 8:48am On Dec 08, 2013
Imagine such in a Nigerian scenario. . .
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Gudiza(m): 8:49am On Dec 08, 2013
nevermind that idiat! I'm sure he's one old white publicity seeking fool going by way of disrespecting Obama.

yitzhak rabin, anwar saadat, pope juhn paul, but not nelson mandela? & these guys don't even measure up.

#myview
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by KillMoves: 8:51am On Dec 08, 2013
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Dannylux: 8:54am On Dec 08, 2013
Filthy attention-seeking racist! Cos he black, ain't it?
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by chamboy(m): 8:56am On Dec 08, 2013
He did his mind n I appreciate him for dat, most ppl will act fake saying der r acknowledging madiba, bunch of liers
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Les: 8:58am On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva: The Sheriff has a point but why didn't we hear something like this when Pope John Paul died?
I'm not sure if the sheriff participated in that of pope John Paul, nor has done this for a non American but if he has, I'll have nothing to say other than to blame it on skin color.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by Ruq: 9:01am On Dec 08, 2013
He his right, it's not like he his the only one who won't do that.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by ronalmagic10(m): 9:07am On Dec 08, 2013
Capt. JH Miller:
Enough with the sentiments.. the Sheriff is totally right, he has contributed nothing to the US. No doubt he is a hero, but to the south Africans, and maybe to some extent an icon to africans as a whole.

Sori...double post
Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by ronalmagic10(m): 9:07am On Dec 08, 2013
Capt. JH Miller:

Don't say what you don't know. How can you say mandela is irrelevant to America? If that were true, then why did he receive so many awards and honors in America. He was even honored by then president Bill Clinton. He visited the site of the terrorist attack and offered words of comfort to the people. He raised money for several charitable organizations in America and you are calling him irrelevant.

The sheriff is just a big fool. Even if his decision is correct, there is no harm in doing it out of respect for the president's order or for the 95-year-old Mandiba

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag For Nelson Mandela by CaptJHMiller: 9:13am On Dec 08, 2013
^
Americans ate very patriotic people, that take this kind of things very seriously, u can't compare a u US military personale with that of any other country in this world when it comes to respect and honor. So u can imagine when they ate asked to fly half mast for someone in far away south africa.

Millions of people visit ground zero yearly, hundreds of people raise money for charity.. this are things u can even do, there are lots of people who reach out to the ameriacn people well more than he did but didn't get half mast.
I bet u ask 50 average Americans on the street who he is and 48 of them can only tell he is a south african, I am sure not up to ten will know he is a former president.
So brother, he is irrelevant to them. It's just fact...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oshiomole Takes Fayose To The Cleaners!!! / I Did Not Say Stealing Is Not Corruption - GEJ / Two Men Stopped From Boarding US Plane After Speaking Arabic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.