Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,873 members, 7,802,808 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:11 PM

Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. (12597 Views)

Photos Of Super Eagles Players Training Ahead Of Match Against Egypt On Tuesday / Super Eagles On A Team Walk In Swaziland Ahead Of Match Today (Photos) / Super Eagles Players Train In Port-Harcourt Ahead Of Match Against Niger (Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by naptu2: 11:13am On Dec 08, 2013
[size=14pt]Sam Sodje at centre of new match-fixing allegation.[/size]

By Telegraph Sport

10:03AM GMT 08 Dec 2013

In the spotlight: Sam Sodje is under investigation

Picture: GETTY IMAGES

Former Premier League player Sam Sodje allegedly boasted that he could control events such as bookings

The National Crime Agency is investigating a fresh series of match-fixing allegations after claims that a former Premier League player said he could influence games in return for cash.

Sam Sodje allegedly boasted that he could control events such as bookings, according to allegations in the Sun on Sunday.

It is also alleged that Sodje punched an opponent in the groin to get sent off and receive a bung of £70,000. The incident allegedly occurred when he was playing for Portsmouth against Oldham Athletic in February this year.

Sodje allegedly showed footage of himself hitting Oldham's Jose Baxter and told the Sun reporter: "OK listen. This is when I was playing. Do you know how much I got for that? £70k. Do you know how much I got fined? I got fined ten grand and I missed six games.

"I had to do it because the referee wasn't booking me. Come on, who does that? Why would you do it on the pitch? I was tackling, tackling, it wasn't working and I went f*** that, I'm off."

The former Portsmouth player, 34, who is currently a free agent, also said he had arranged for one player to get a yellow card in exchange for "three bags, three zero", meaning £30,000.

In interviews recorded by the paper and handed to the NCA, Sodje reportedly said: "This guy came to meet me at my house and it was sorted. That's how easy it is - it's nothing."

This former Premier League player, who now plays in the Championship, duly got booked in the match in which Sodje said he would, according to the Sun.

Sodje, who played in the Premier League for Reading, also allegedly claimed he could fix top flight games although it would take "a lot" of money.

A spokesman for the NCA said last night: "We have received some information from the Sun on Sunday and as a result of that there is an ongoing investigation that is taking place."

The allegations come after the Telegraph revealed members of an alleged betting syndicate had been attempting to fix English football games.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10503738/Sam-Sodje-at-centre-of-new-match-fixing-allegation.html
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by naptu2: 11:34am On Dec 08, 2013
[size=14pt]Two Conference South footballers - Michael Boateng and Hakeem Adelakun - sacked by club over match-fixing[/size]

By Telegraph Sport, and agencies

11:03AM GMT 07 Dec 2013

Michael Boateng and Hakeem Adelakun, both 22, were charged this week with conspiracy to defraud contrary to common law

Two Conference South footballers have been sacked by their club following The Telegraph's match-fixing investigation.

Michael Boateng and Hakeem Adelakun, both 22, were charged this week with conspiracy to defraud contrary to common law.

Sacked: Michael Boateng has been charged with conspiracy to defraud

Picture: EMPICS SPORT

The National Crime Agency said the Crown Prosecution Service's organised crime division was satisfied that it was in the public interest to authorise the charges.

Boateng and Adelakun's club, Whitehawk FC in Brighton, said the pair have now been "dismissed with immediate effect" following an emergency board meeting.

In a statement, Whitehawk FC said: "The club was aware that these two players, namely Michael Boateng and Hakeem Adelakun, were being investigated last week, at which time the club took immediate steps to suspend them pending the outcome of investigation by the police.

"In light of recent decisions by the police and the Crown Prosecution Service, the club can now confirm, after an emergency meeting of the board (on Friday December 6), that the two players have been dismissed with immediate effect for bringing the club into disrepute."

The board of directors called on the club's supporters and sponsors to rally round the players and back them for their games ahead.

Club director Mark Turner said: "The board are disappointed by these allegations and have taken steps to protect the club."

Boateng and Adelakun, from the Croydon area of south London, have been bailed to appear at Birmingham Magistrates' Court on Dec 11.

They are the third and fourth people charged in connection with the investigation into an alleged international illegal betting syndicate.

Chann Sankaran, 33, from Hastings, East Sussex, and Krishna Sanjey Ganeshan, 43, from Singapore, were charged last month with plotting to defraud bookmakers.

Both were remanded in custody to appear at Birmingham Crown Court on Dec 13.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/10502558/Two-Conference-South-footballers-Michael-Boateng-and-Hakeem-Adelakun-sacked-by-club-over-match-fixing.html
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by naptu2: 11:43am On Dec 08, 2013

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Nobody: 11:52am On Dec 08, 2013
This is the lowest a professional footballer could go, Sam Sodje has brought shame to his sporting family and also to the game of football.. He should face the full wrath of the law

5 Likes

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Tolexander: 12:34pm On Dec 08, 2013
Was he high on drug or what?
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by naptu2: 1:39am On Dec 09, 2013
[size=14pt]Six people held by police over football fixing claims[/size]

8 December 2013 Last updated at 19:23

Six people are in police custody after an ex-Portsmouth player told an undercover reporter he had been involved in fixing football matches.

Former Nigerian international Sam Sodje was filmed by an undercover reporter

Sam Sodje was filmed by the Sun on Sunday describing how he punched an opponent in a League One game to get a red card in exchange for £70,000.

He also said he arranged for another player to be paid £30,000 for getting a yellow card in a Championship match.

Portsmouth Football Club said it was "shocked and saddened" by the claims.

The six people being held have not been named.

In the video, which was filmed secretly, Mr Sodje also claimed he could rig Premier League games and was prepared to fix matches at next year's World Cup.

Sending off

In a statement from Portsmouth Football Club, spokesman Colin Farmery said: "If these serious allegations are true then we are extremely shocked and saddened by them, as match-fixing of any type goes to the heart of the integrity of the game.

"The player in question no longer plays for the club and we have not been contacted by the authorities, but of course we would co-operate fully with any inquiry."

Mr Sodje was sent off in the 50th minute of a League One match while playing for Portsmouth against Oldham Athletic on 23 February.

The Sun on Sunday also reported that an Oldham player, Cristian Montano, apologised to Mr Sodje after failing to get a yellow card in the first half of a match against Wolves on 22 October.

And it reported that Mr Sodje's brother Akpo, a striker at Tranmere Rovers, had said he would be prepared to be paid to be booked.

Oldham Athletic said in a statement: "Oldham Athletic Football Club has been made aware of the incident and allegation surrounding one of its players, Cristian Montano. The club will commence an immediate internal investigation to establish all the relevant facts of the case.

"The club is co-operating with other agencies in this matter and cannot comment on specific facts at this stage. The club will not be issuing any further statements at this time."

Tranmere Rovers FC said: "Tranmere Rovers Football Club are aware of Sunday newspaper allegations regarding Akpo Sodje. As this is an ongoing investigation the club will make no further comment at this time."

The National Crime Agency, which is investigating the claims, said: "We can confirm that the Sun on Sunday has passed material from its own investigation to the NCA.

"An active NCA investigation is now under way and we are working closely with the Football Association and the Gambling Commission. Six people are in custody and are being questioned by NCA officers. We cannot comment further at this stage."

'Dismay'

The Football League said it took claims of criminal activity "extremely seriously" and would assist police.

Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey encouraged anyone with any evidence to report it to the police.

Mr Harvey added: "We treat any allegations of criminal activity in our competitions with the utmost seriousness. We will be giving our full assistance to the police during their investigation."

The Gambling Commission and the Football Association both said they were aware of the investigation and were working with the NCA.

Guy Whittingham, who was manager of Portsmouth at the time, said the claims brought back memories of the match in which Sam Sodje was sent off.

He said: "Sam came racing over - and I didn't actually see the incident at the time itself - but then you see it in the cold light of day afterwards and you see what he's done and you can't fathom out why he's done it."

Former Oldham player and manager Andy Ritchie told BBC News he was "dismayed" at the allegations.

He said: "They are only allegations at the moment but if you're sent off in a game you're letting your players down, you're letting the team down because more often than not 10 men lose a game of football.

"If you're in a tough situation, maybe a relegation dogfight, you could lose those three points - that could cost you a place in that league."

Betting syndicate

The Professional Footballers' Association said in a statement: "The PFA is aware of the reports in today's media regarding allegations of 'match fixing' and other related activity.

"These allegations, if proven, unfortunately demonstrate the real issue football faces in terms of corruption and highlights the necessity of the work carried out by the PFA and other stakeholders in the game in educating players of these risks.

"We take the issue of integrity very seriously and will continue in our efforts to eradicate this evil from our game."

In a separate NCA investigation into an alleged international betting syndicate, two non-league footballers were earlier this week charged with conspiracy to defraud.

Michael Boateng and Hakeem Adelakun, both 22, play for Whitehawk FC, based in Brighton, in the Conference South.

Two other men, Singapore national Chann Sankaran, 33, and Krishna Sanjey Ganeshan, 43, who has dual UK and Singapore nationality, were charged with conspiracy to defraud in November.

The pair have been bailed and are due to appear at Birmingham Magistrates' Court on 11 December.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25288657
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by lumeviewscom: 11:12am On Dec 09, 2013

5 Likes

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by victorazy(m): 4:48pm On Dec 09, 2013
How about Efe Sodje?
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by DisGuy: 4:51pm On Dec 09, 2013
when the news came on some weeks back, i was silently hoping no african/Nigerian player would be mentioned

the video is lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Ogbuefienubiaka: 4:51pm On Dec 09, 2013
so only Africans do match fixing in EPL? there is more to this. the way some matches end in EPL especially during Alex feg showed there is match fixing in EPL that even involves refrees...............u know their names.

3 Likes

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Nobody: 4:54pm On Dec 09, 2013
u
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by adexsimply(m): 4:54pm On Dec 09, 2013
angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by konami001: 4:55pm On Dec 09, 2013
slowpoke.... no sense...how can you incriminate yourself like this??
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by KenJak(m): 4:57pm On Dec 09, 2013
No problem.
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by rossi49ja(m): 4:57pm On Dec 09, 2013
This is crass stupidity. Was he high on something He should be made to face the full wrath of the law.
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by sambas: 4:57pm On Dec 09, 2013
somebody slap me, if I' ws wrong,, I dey suspect dat Arsenal vs Soton match,, see dat keeper na, even madman go know say na match fixing.

7 Likes

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Dygeasy(m): 4:58pm On Dec 09, 2013
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by tbaba1234: 5:03pm On Dec 09, 2013
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Dee60: 5:05pm On Dec 09, 2013
What a pity? Grace to grass. That is what Greed can cause.
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by leggo: 5:05pm On Dec 09, 2013
some arses will still blame racism. lol
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by leggo: 5:06pm On Dec 09, 2013
Ogbuefienubiaka: so only Africans do match fixing in EPL? there is more to this. the way some matches end in EPL especially during Alex feg showed there is match fixing in EPL that even involves refrees...............u know their names.
your rantings are baseless and non factual
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by PointBlank13(m): 5:06pm On Dec 09, 2013
All because of greed. Just too bad.
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by victorazy(m): 5:07pm On Dec 09, 2013
konami001: slowpoke.... no sense...how can you incriminate yourself like this??

Bros na moni o!
If only u know how much d moni be in Naira.
Maybe bcuz u never really sofa wela.
He is a real Naija guy grin
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Davidolives(m): 5:10pm On Dec 09, 2013
Am a man utd fan but ask sir ALEx who is d king of match fixing,or wenger against totteham some yrs ago i can kip mentioning names

1 Like

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by butpro(m): 5:13pm On Dec 09, 2013
Now future is bleak for African players.......maybe.
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by leggo: 5:14pm On Dec 09, 2013
Davidolives: Am a man utd fan but ask sir ALEx who is d king of match fixing,or wenger against totteham some yrs ago i can kip mentioning names
really? where are your facts? dont carry your beer parlor talk in here
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by collynzo2(m): 5:17pm On Dec 09, 2013
He also mentioned something about fixing world cup matches. When Sani Kaita got that useless red card against Greece in SA 2010, I told my friends with whom I was watching the match that I could swear on my life that it was a case of match fixing.
The issue was later mentioned in one of the match fixing probes but quickly swept under the carpet presumably by FIFA in order to keep the reputation of the world cup intact.

7 Likes

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by DahomeyAmazon(f): 5:17pm On Dec 09, 2013
£70,000 chai Sani keita and his world cup red card comes to mind

1 Like

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by alphaconde(m): 5:18pm On Dec 09, 2013
victorazy: How about Efe Sodje?

Na this sam sabi,na efe I de find
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by kambili999(f): 5:20pm On Dec 09, 2013
seen
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Afritop(m): 5:26pm On Dec 09, 2013
He could even be paid for exposing himself and revealing all the secrets to the press

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ubah Is The New Anambra FA Chairman, Photos From The Election / What Football Match Gave You The Highest Tension? / Aston Villa Vs Burnley Called Off Just Before Kick-off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.