Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,484 members, 7,781,450 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:34 PM

Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. - Literature (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. (65719 Views)

Bloody theresa (fictional Thriller) / ASOIAF Quotes / Game Of Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 2:59pm On Jun 15, 2016
armadeo:

Will send a pm once am with my laptop. So I can mail it to you. Later tonight.
a sworn sword will do thanks wink
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by CorneliusSulla8: 3:28pm On Jun 15, 2016
BraniacX:

Your moniker suggests you've read first man in rome, grass crown, fortune's favourites and other books in that series by colleen mc cullough or you're just a regular roman empire history buff! Am i wrong? cheesy
I am both.
and Sulla is my favourite Roman character in both the semi fictionalized version and in Rome history
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 3:40pm On Jun 15, 2016
BraniacX:

Seriously! I should have known you'll be the best source available grin seriously, pls send me everything you've got, every spin of, biography, sub plot, theory and yes everything pertaining to AWOIAF
why do you want to do this to yourself mehn.
all the crackpot theory people who are obsessed with the series have been spinning are getting shut down one after the other by the TV show,every little thing to them na foreshadowing or double meaning.
even the TV show is probably cutting some of the useless plot Martin's use to bloat his book.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 3:47pm On Jun 15, 2016
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 3:52pm On Jun 15, 2016
SIRcumalot:

all the crackpot theory people who are obsessed with the series have been spinning are getting shut down one after the other by the TV show,every little thing to them na foreshadowing or double meaning.
even the TV show is probably cutting some of the useless plot Martin's use to bloat his book.

They are getting shut down in the show, not by the show. They still exist in the books. Im not even sure D& D are aware of some of these theories.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 3:57pm On Jun 15, 2016
[quote author=LeonStark post=34428845][/quote]
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 3:59pm On Jun 15, 2016
CorneliusSulla8:

I am both.
and Sulla is my favourite Roman character in both the semi fictionalized version and in Rome history

Splendid

Meaning you're a ruthless, cold blooded, scheming, daring, dictatorial, unyielding, immoral, aristocratic, cunning, narcissisistic, bisexual patrician s.o.b right? cheesy love it! But you know he wins only because that dearly beloved stubborn old goat gaius marius becomes senile and wallows in that very un-roman state of thinking "revenge" wink otherwise in their prime, commander to commander grin now wouldn't that be a riddle for the military historians? cool

Ave lucius cornellius sulla
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 4:03pm On Jun 15, 2016
SIRcumalot:

TV show isn't cannon so until gbola5's old dog treat maker cooks up the newest treat, dogs are going to be salivating at the thought of imaginary tin foils laced with goodness of years gone by wink if you catch my drift
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 4:15pm On Jun 15, 2016
BraniacX:

Splendid

Meaning you're a ruthless, cold blooded, scheming, daring, dictatorial, unyielding, immoral, aristocratic, cunning, narcissisistic, bisexual patrician s.o.b right? cheesy love it! But you know he wins only because that dearly beloved stubborn old goat gaius marius becomes senile and wallows in that very un-roman state of thinking "revenge" wink otherwise in their prime, commander to commander grin now wouldn't that be a riddle for the military historians? cool

Ave lucius cornellius sulla
apologies for my intrusion
Sulla is also my favourite.
unlike Marius,he knew when to give up power.
and he also caught jurgutha in their first campaign something he didn't get total credit for or when he infiltrated those either Germanic or Gaulish tribe the,Cambrian and Teutons.
also he won a grass crown bro.
his campaigns might have been easier compared to Marius''s but am picking Sulla,that guy rules!!!
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 4:28pm On Jun 15, 2016
Gbola5:

They are getting shut down in the show, not by the show. They still exist in the books. Im not even sure D& D are aware of some of these theories.
But they know the end game? right
Martin's told it to them and important plot points in the story.
From the series so far we can infer that LsH isn't central to the plot the connigton targeryan's isn't, dorne and whatever the prince was cooking is bound to fail?
Victarion is also not important as Yara seems to be replacing him.
These are the ones that comes to mind. Am sure others they.
I think we already know from the book that cold hand isn't Benjen.
Who is coldhands and wetin be in deal.? That Is the only thing that am really curious about and a few other things.

I have to say this though,whoever came up with that r+l=j deserves a medal.
That iykmora spoilers confirms it for me.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 4:53pm On Jun 15, 2016
SIRcumalot:

apologies for my intrusion
Sulla is also my favourite.
unlike Marius,he knew when to give up power.
and he also caught jurgutha in their first campaign something he didn't get total credit for or when he infiltrated those either Germanic or Gaulish tribe the,Cambrian and Teutons.
also he won a grass crown bro.
his campaigns might have been easier compared to Marius''s but am picking Sulla,that guy rules!!!

Well he can't be everybody's favourite, he most definitely isn't mine, give or take sulla only had the guts to do things only a patrician will have the guts to do (check gaius julius ceaser jr., dollabella) gaius marius was a plebian and his rise to the top was fraught with opposition at every turn just because he was a new man, plus he single handedly revised roman military tactics and practice and was essentially the one who was indirectly responsible for the quickest expansion of the empire by designing an army impossible to beat in the hands of a competent general plus he was sulla's mentor and teacher both militarily and politically besides the fact that the greatest roman general of all time julius ceasar got his military indoctrination from him as did many other post marius successful generals whether directly or indirectly. Sulla only bettered him at laying sieges and ceaser bested them all! Sulla is my fourth best character after ceasar, marius and lucius decumius grin

But back to my question, who would come on top general vs general if sulla and marius took to the field?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 5:17pm On Jun 15, 2016
BraniacX:

Well he can't be everybody's favourite, he most definitely isn't mine, give or take sulla only had the guts to do things only a patrician will have the guts to do (check gaius julius ceaser jr., dollabella) gaius marius was a plebian and his rise to the top was fraught with opposition at every turn just because he was a new man, plus he single handedly revised roman military tactics and practice and was essentially the one who was indirectly responsible for the quickest expansion of the empire by designing an army impossible to beat in the hands of a competent general plus he was sulla's mentor and teacher both militarily and politically besides the fact that the greatest roman general of all time julius ceasar got his military indoctrination from him as did many other post marius successful generals whether directly or indirectly. Sulla only bettered him at laying sieges and ceaser bested them all! Sulla is my fourth best character after ceasar, marius and lucius decumius grin

But back to my question, who would come on top general vs general if sulla and marius took to the field?
yeah but Sulla was also a patrician with no money and "allegedly" Performed some despicable act to get that money.
he is also a self made man in his own right.

Marius will win it though I also think Marius will defeat Caesear I have two books left but knowing how history goes he is past his best Caesar hasn't really impressed me so far.

my favourite characters
Sulla,Marius,Cato the younger(this dude is beyond crazy),Pompey(his antics are so funny),Caesar, Cicero speeches are also very entertaining and so many other characters in between,the series is truly great.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 5:36pm On Jun 15, 2016
SIRcumalot:

yeah but Sulla was also a patrician with no money and "allegedly" Performed some despicable act to get that money.
he is also a self made man in his own right.

Marius will win it though I also think Marius will defeat Caesear I have two books left but knowing how history goes he is past his best Caesar hasn't really impressed me so far.

my favourite characters
Sulla,Marius,Cato the younger(this dude is beyond crazy),Pompey(his antics are so funny),Caesar, Cicero speeches are also very entertaining and so many other characters in between,the series is truly great.

On cato! Leave the word "crazy" out of it! Let it have peace before you tag it to someone who will chew it, spit it out and savage it

On pompey ever the grandstanding amateur, brilliant he was yes, only unfortunately for him, his era wasn't made up of only very good and savy politicians, a genius or too was tossed into the mix grin plus he buttresses my point on marius being the first classic roman general, he was a good, dogged and meticulous general but always failed against every marian-esque general e.g quintus sertorius and julius ceaser. He finally beat sertorius in spain because metellus piglet after apprenticeship under sulla came and saved his blushes by fighting the marian way and by being politically savy vis-a-vis the assasination of sertorius.

Ceasar vs marius hmmm! That'll be a battle of the brains not brawn but i'll slightly give it to ceasar because a patrician always has an advantage and ceasar is a perfect example of a student out shining his master remember both of them are very adept at manipulating others.

Another of my favourite characters is scaurus aemilianus princeps senatus, now this nigger played his politics devoid of bitterness and was very pragmatic, he would have flourished in victorian england
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 6:18pm On Jun 15, 2016
BraniacX:

On cato! Leave the word "crazy" out of it! Let it have peace before you tag it to someone who will chew it, spit it out and savage it

On pompey ever the grandstanding amateur, brilliant he was yes, only unfortunately for him, his era wasn't made up of only very good and savy politicians, a genius or too was tossed into the mix grin plus he buttresses my point on marius being the first classic roman general, he was a good, dogged and meticulous general but always failed against every marian-esque general e.g quintus sertorius and julius ceaser. He finally beat sertorius in spain because metellus piglet after apprenticeship under sulla came and saved his blushes by fighting the marian way and by being politically savy vis-a-vis the assasination of sertorius.

Ceasar vs marius hmmm! That'll be a battle of the brains not brawn but i'll slightly give it to ceasar because a patrician always has an advantage and ceasar is a perfect example of a student out shining his master remember both of them are very adept at manipulating others.

Another of my favourite characters is scaurus aemilianus princeps senatus, now this nigger played his politics devoid of bitterness and was very pragmatic, he would have flourished in victorian england
Pompey always had an advantage in all his battle but he totally earned the Magnus he attached to his name.
And he could be very savvy but his mind was never in politics,
You could tell from the first triumvirate.
I really would have love to read about crassus doomed campaign in Parthia.
Ha, mettulus piglet,Sulla did a number on that guy, see, this Is why he is my favorite character there is a mysticism about him.
I would pick Marius (his marriage to Julii kind of fix his image) his accomplishments are just to much and he save Rome every time.
I look at caesear and all I remember his Gaul,Pompey already softened Gaul before Caesar came there.
And then fought a past his prime Gnaeus in the civil war with my man Cato and the boni distracting Pompey.
I think your choice his based on charisma.

My only problem with this book is the names the triple naming system can be tasking to remember.
The clodii clan were also favourite of mine.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 6:53am On Jun 17, 2016
I actually drafted a long and tortuous reply to your post, pages of it earlier yesterday only for it to somehow disappear and leave me frustrated but i'll try again but just don't expect that much detail or effort this time wink

SIRcumalot:

Pompey always had an advantage in all his battle but he totally earned the Magnus he attached to his name.

oh purrrlease! undecided magnus my foot duh! its just like DJ khaleed jingoing his "we the best" and like you noted, "HE" attached it to his name, it wasn't an official cognomen, those who used it were his bootlickers or those who wanted to flatter him, almost same thing as calling tinubu "jagaban".

What advantage did he have in all his battles? When younger he was brash and stupid! When older he was meticulous and careful but never brilliant! Military brilliance is when you win against great odds again and again! After spain, he never campaigned without numerical strength and that isn't the hallmark of any roman general of the marian doctrine! Remember, rome's military might was never in numbers, it was always in rigid discipline and tactics

And he could be very savvy but his mind was never in politics,
You could tell from the first triumvirate.

savvyness in pompey's terms is being short sighted, small minded and timid and his mind was always in politics and at the senatorial level he played well enough only problem being he wanted to be another gaius marius, to stand out, to earn the title "first man in rome" and thereby become the "fourth founder of the republic" but he didn't have the brilliance and discerning mind of marius, nor the begrudging respect of his opponents that marius had, he wasn't a well lettered man, he didn't have a legal career in the forum, didn't practice law drafting in the tribunate so he couldn't grasp many legal issues until it was used to trap him, then he'll resort to demagougery.

from the first triumvate, he was just a tool ceasar used and he didn't even know it though it was obvious to everyone else. He is like cersei lannister in the game of thrones who thinks that he/she is the major game player when actually they are just over glorified pawns okay let's make him a rook grin all ceasar did was trap him to his faction and interests by gifting him his daughter, a pure patrician bride of the mythically famous julias cheesy and before you start waxing lyrical about ceasar loving his daughter which he did, remember ceasar was a roman nobleman and to them daughters and sisters were just a little above bargaining chips traded for alliances and political goodwill for themselves and their sons. And with one julia, ceasar was able to leave rome for five years knowing his political interests would be protected by someone who should rightly have been his strongest opponent likewise crassus now if that isn't savvy, i don't know what else is and mind you, when julia died, the boni played that same card and gave him a patrician bride and got him singing kum ba ya to all their beats even turning him against his former father-in-law ceasar

I really would have love to read about crassus doomed campaign in Parthia.

crassus was a typical roman nobleman greedy for gold and glory, okay more greedy than most but only within the legal framework and senatorial norms and he was downright sensible! But he grew older, more greedy and less sensible and that is how he lost military focus in the campaign for gold in parthia! He never had a military pedigree in the first place with his only campaign being against the slave rebellion led by spartacus and that victory was orchestrated by his then legate......................."wait"............................."For".................................."It"..................... ceasar grin as was his popularity via stomach infrastructure of free grain during his first consulship cheesy so crassus as you see was an excellent businessman, a fair politician and a poor general hence the parthian disaster

Ha, mettulus piglet,Sulla did a number on that guy, see, this Is why he is my favorite character there is a mysticism about him.

yeah! wink i'll kill your dad and you'd be loving and hero-worshipping me ignorantly for being a perfect role model to your class grin and i thought you were anti-charisma.

It was in his eyes and the naked demon behind the facade of a nobleman he presented to the public, few who saw the true beast in his nature cared to see it again cool

I would pick Marius (his marriage to Julii kind of fix his image) his accomplishments are just to much and he save Rome every time.

FIRST MAN IN ROME AND THIRD FOUNDER OF THE REPUBLIC!!!!!!
Nothing more to add to that grin

I look at caesear and all I remember his Gaul,Pompey already softened Gaul before Caesar came there.
And then fought a past his prime Gnaeus in the civil war with my man Cato and the boni distracting Pompey.

pompey soften which gaul? When? FYI pompey campaigned in spain and was floundering like a floppy fish until sulla's student metellus piglet came to save him.
And don't down play ceasar's gaellic conquest, it was simply politico-military brilliance! He had only ten legions most times six to conquer and garrison two roman provinces (gaul across the alps, italian gaul) and many nations (parts of germania, barbarian gaul proper, brittania, belgae among others). Not just to garrison the roman provinces and protect them from barbarian invasions, invading barbarian countries, waging wars and winning, garrisoning them to forestall rebellion, defending those from other barbarian alliances, besieging and taking impregnable fortress after impregnable fortress in amazing feats of military engineering (he even traced, dug and damned the underground spring supplying water to one fortress) and all these with just ten legions! Please give him credit abeg! He earned it!

A past prime pompey? Is a general or commanding officer ever past his prime? A young pompey took on an old quintus sertorius in spain and was soundly trounced until metellus piglet came to rescue him, an older pompey took on a ceasar about ten to fifteen years younger than him and lost and you suggest age is the factor? Aaaw c'mon! The truth is looking at you man, sertorius and ceasar were marius-esque generals, pompey was not or how else would you explain his ten overstrength legions not getting beaten but getting soundly trashed by ceasars four understrength legions on a battlefield of his own choosing in greece? undecided

I think your choice his based on charisma.

charisma can win you clients in the forum and senate (check drusus) and lack of it make people avoid you like a cold wet fish (check titus labienus) charisma can make your soldiers kill themselves for you and hail you "triumphator" after a battle (check ceasar, check marius) or lack of it can cause mutiny (check quintus lutatius catulus ceasar) so yes, in that world charisma was damn important!

My only problem with this book is the names the triple naming system can be tasking to remember.

the third name i think is called a cognomen and can describe features or traits e.g strabo (cross-eyed) or achievements e.g africannus (conqueror of africa) and in large clans like the noble clans, such distinctions were necessary because they usually had same names

The clodii clan were also favourite of mine.

don't get me started on these kings and queens of weirdness cheesy
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by richez25(m): 9:28am On Jun 17, 2016
oluamid:
I have never come across a working download link online. If you are on bbm, you can PM me your pin and I'll transfer the pdf files to you.
I need the books.. Thanks in anticipation, been lookin for whr to get it.. The tv series aint just doin the trick..
BBM : 7BAB6400
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 4:36pm On Jun 17, 2016
@Brainiacx
Am just seeing this
You must have read the book multiple times.my reply will never be this tight.

2 triumph bro,two.for my boy Pompey
Meticulous and carefulness have their own merit,and are worthy desirable traits in a general
And in his youth he inherited his father veteran army and knows enough not to get in their way.
Concern his politics
he became consul at very young age before he discovered politics wasn't for him.
Marius for all his military brilliance, isn't that much of a politician,he relies heavily on bribing tribunes of the pleb and senators than actual political machination,same as Pompey.
Magnus became consul at very young age before he discovering politics wasn't for him.
Been able to leverage his importance to get himself the consulship is still a worthy feat even if he didn't do it with much grace
Bear in mind I haven't read the last two book but I know how history plays out seeing as how taking Julia Brutus may've started the ball rolling to the ides of march that mayn't have been ceasear best idea.
SULLA.
How many people can do what he did to the piglet ?
Am not arguing about his virtue he truly is a horrible character same as most of his peers if we judge through the morals of the present era,
But it his the way he carries himself just for contrast look at how rumours of homosexuality affected ceasear and how Sulla dealt with his?
Or when he recognizes ceasear threat in the future and made him the pontifex maximus?
Or the issue with Pompey triumph and the elephant ?
It is so many minute moments like this,that made him my favourite
he should have nailed Ceasear head to the rostra (his friendship/love for his mother probably stayed his hands)
And more importantly he gave up Power.

CEASEAR .
My only beef with this "bald fork"is how he was represented by the author and history in general.
Brilliant to a fault and always had tremendous luck in anything he does almost has if the gods have destined ceasear to be great I never got that from Marius or sulla
He also is the star of the book and I can't change history.

And if we both agree that Sulla was able to defeat Marius after Mariuses wasn't the same guy he was anymore then we can give Pompey the benefit of the doubt.
I only mentioned Gaul because I have a faint recollection of Gauis mocking Pompey achievement in Gaul.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 3:23pm On Jun 18, 2016
Are we still on this? grin okay if you insist cool
SIRcumalot:
@Brainiacx
Am just seeing this
You must have read the book multiple times. my reply will never be this tight.

grin

2 triumph bro,two.for my boy Pompey
Meticulous and carefulness have their own merit,and are worthy desirable traits in a general
And in his youth he inherited his father veteran army and knows enough not to get in their way.

he learnt that the hard way! If his troops had been green, he would have been annihilated by sertoriuses superior tactics, his troop paid the cost in heavy decimation and loss of lives because he was an inept and unqualified general, there is a reason why only consuls were allowed to lead armies and the truth is simple - age and leadership experience

Concerning his politics
he became consul at very young age before he discovered politics wasn't for him.

same as young marius he became consul very young before the constitutionally set time by fiat or the threat of an army of occupation not loyal to rome but loyal to its general and rome was under sullas dictatorship by then and sulla facilitated this to pander to pompeys bloated ego! Sulla promptly dispatched him to go and get mauled by sertorius in spain because he knew that engaging sertorius himself would be costly to him so what better way to do it than to send a bumbling idiot with a private army?

Marius for all his military brilliance, isn't that much of a politician, he relies heavily on bribing tribunes of the pleb and senators than actual political machination,same as Pompey.
Magnus became consul at very young age before he discovering politics wasn't for him.
Been able to leverage his importance to get himself the consulship is still a worthy feat even if he didn't do it with much grace

[b] you're kidding right? What is more political than bribery? grin every single politician who could afford it bribed multiple times over and over and over again even the self proclaimed sanctimonious political purist cato had to make the boni bribe in certain elections despite creating the anti-bribery court cheesy
Marius and ceasar are prime politicians because they didn't just bribe mindless oafs, they bribed men of intellect and pedigree knowing there is a prime tool for every job and many of their clients later became consuls so how can you compare pompey to them? Also most times marius and ceasar didn't need to bribe, their name alone associated with any candidate was enough to guarantee victory for that candidate as they were extremely popular with the capite censi and knights of the first and second class or else why do you think sulla determined to ruin marius because he showed up on the day of his consulship procession while still recovering from stroke? Because marius stole his show and day of glory cheesy

Yes pompey leveraged his private army to attain consulship at a much younger age and sulla flattered and acquiesced him under his dictatorship but to true roman politicians like marius and ceasar who followed the "maos honorarium" that can never be an achievement because it was victory without rivalry and no true roman noble can call himself great unless his adversaries and opposition are great and formidable too. Greatness is only confirmed when you thrive in the midst of great adversaries. Remember scaurus princeps senatus saying he loved marius as much as he hated him? Cicero thanking ceasar for his help in the dolabella issue? Now those are great men! Their rivals were happy to have them around
Anyway if that is an achievement then gaius marius junior beat him to it by attaining consulship at a much younger age and by leveraging not on a private army but his fathers iconic popularity
[/b]

Bear in mind I haven't read the last two book but I know how history plays out seeing as how taking Julia Brutus may've started the ball rolling to the ides of march that mayn't have been ceasear best idea.

[b]get this simple fact ceasar was opposed from day one of his birth by various great people for various reasons having nothing to do with him having done anything wrong e.g by marius because a seer prophesied he will be greater than him, by sulla because he saw himself in ceasar and was unhappy his son died while ceasar thrived, by lucullus because he was too handsome and highborn and could make foreign rulers obey his wishes even when he had no official authority, by cato because ceasar was a profligate womaniser and therefore immoral in his eyes and represented everything he wasn't, by the boni because he refused to be bought despite being poor and to them he represented everything sulla was despite the fact that he did nothing of that sort and followed the "maos honorarium" in his political career, by marcus tullius cicero because ceasars existence relegated him from legal genius status to mere legally brilliant, by bilbulus because it was to him better to fail and make ceasar fail too than to succeed together and allow ceasars brilliance to be seen I can go on and on but i'll stop there, the ides of march wasn't ceasars doing but the doing of his numerous enemies who were determined to bring him down no matter the cost to the republic and themselves and ceasar true to his nature instilled in him from infancy by the great lady aurelia his mother was always magnanimous to his opponents again and again after defeating them because he believed that as a true roman nobleman he needed strong opposition in his political career in order to be called great until finally they resorted to plain old murder carried out by themselves to kill ceasar, ceasar couldn't have seen that one coming because as a nobleman he couldn't have done that much less expect other noblemen who he forgave again and again to do that to him and rightly so ceasars partisans never forgave as they went after his killers and didn't spare their lives with octavius his adopted son emerging victorius eventually and literally unchallengable thus ending the republic and birthing the empire[/b]

SULLA.
How many people can do what he did to the piglet ?
Am not arguing about his virtue he truly is a horrible character same as most of his peers if we judge through the morals of the present era,
But it his the way he carries himself just for contrast look at how rumours of homosexuality affected ceasear and how Sulla dealt with his?
Or when he recognizes ceasear threat in the future and made him the pontifex maximus?
Or the issue with Pompey triumph and the elephant ?
It is so many minute moments like this,that made him my favourite
he should have nailed Ceasear head to the rostra (his friendship/love for his mother probably stayed his hands)
And more importantly he gave up Power.

[b]

Marius could have if he set his mind to it, so could ceasar but those two deemed such methods as being far below them to condescend to, imagine poisoning by a man? He reminds me of oberyn martell in G.O.T while marius was more like tywin lannister and ceasar a much more upgraded version of tywin lannister. Sullas control of the piglet centered around hero worship but when ceasar and marius controlled men, the men always felt it was in their own interests to be on their side (check ceasar and pompey grin)

How did handling the rumours of homosexuality affect their careers significantly? Both men were extremely gorgeous and extremely well born, Sulla was bisexual ceasar was straight so of course ceasar was angrier that such a rumour was attached to him by his opponents and how they handled it showed ceasars savvyness grin while sulla went underground, hid and denied himself the pleasure of his male lovers until he became a dictator and didn't give a damn, ceasar didn't expend an iota of his energy denying that he was homosexual, he rather went around seducing the wives of all his accusers one by one and allowed the knowledge to become public and they all had to divorce their wives and thus the accusation of homosexuality died a natural death grin

He didn't make ceasar pontifex maximus because of him being a threat, he did it because of the prophecy that ceasar would be greater than marius his nemesis and ceasar being a roman of the patrician class like him was a perfect revenge by him upon marius so that another patrician like himself would outshine the then greatest roman of all time marius who was a plebian. He undid mariuses cage of making ceasar flamen dialis which precluded him from a political and military career thereby freeing him to go and be great like the prophecy foretold

Yes he should have killed ceasar because in ceasar he saw a replica of himself only a better version, gorgeous, patrician, unyielding, arrogant, brilliant, without fear with exception that ceasar followed the maos honorarium but sulla couldn't know that, for all he knew, ceasar would end up a dictator like himself and why should he have killed ceasar? Because ceasar called his dictatorship and suspension of the rule of law illegal and refused to repudiate his uncle marius? Guess what? According to the laws and statues of rome, ceasar was right plus he was only a sixteen year old kid then
[/b]

CEASEAR .
My only beef with this "bald fork" is how he was represented by the author and history in general.
Brilliant to a fault and always had tremendous luck in anything he does almost has if the gods have destined ceasear to be great I never got that from Marius or sulla
He also is the star of the book and I can't change history.

And if we both agree that Sulla was able to defeat Marius after Mariuses wasn't the same guy he was anymore then we can give Pompey the benefit of the doubt.
I only mentioned Gaul because I have a faint recollection of Gauis mocking Pompey achievement in Gaul.

[b] he ceasar was represented as history recorded him to be Q.E.D
And on his baldness in his sixtees, blame his mother aurelia grin aurelian males tend to baldness and you would agree with me that ceasars brilliance and steel were aurelian traits so why not his baldness wink cheesy

We don't both agree that sulla defeated marius on a battlefield as that never happened! The only armed conflict between both of them was on sulla's coup when he matched his army into rome and became the first roman in history to break that law and marius had to arm untrained mobs to oppose them which understandably was an exercise in futility against a fully commissioned army forcing marius and all his supporters to flee from rome. When marius assembled an army and came back, sulla and his army had gone to asia to fight the pontic king mithridiates which was the bone of contention between him and marius in the first place, of course by then marius was half mad because of the humiliation a great man like himself was made to suffer by his one time right hand man when he fled, he was mad to the extent that people who knew him well subtly tried to fight against him being part of or in charge of the army, people like his own son gaius marius junior and quintus sertorius his nephew but the rest of the public only saw what they knew of him, marius the iconic saviour of rome until it was too late and he unleashed his madness induced illogical killing spree on them but if a senile(not mad) marius took to the field against sulla, he would have beaten sulla for while sulla was a very quick and adaptable learner, he still remained a student compared to marius who designed his military tactics on his own intuition. Even sulla was relieved when he came back from asia knowing marius had died from a third stroke wink

Ceasar was mocking arhenobabuses achievement in gaul across the alps which was a roman territory conquered and founded by his grandfather and which he naturally thought should remain exclusively, one of his clans spheres of influence, and mind you, that territory was less than 1/12 of gaul in total, the other parts of gaul were the proper barbarian gaul and they normally invaded roman gaul whenever they felt like and that was the part that ceasar conquered and subjugated including reconquering roman gaul when they rebelled. Let me put this into perspective for you, remember the germanic horde that marius defeated? Remember how they massacred roman army after roman army until marius came and defeated them? Okay, remember that during the exodus like migration of these millions of germans, the only gaellic territory they ravaged was gaul across the alps which was a roman colony but when they migrated through barbarian gaul, they negotiated their way through by working as farm labourers for the gauls in exchange for safe passage not by fighting, these are the gauls that ceasar conquered so if marius could be labelled great for defeating these germans, shouldn't ceasar be called great too for defeating the gauls that these germans were afraid to fight? undecided
[/b]

Oh my fingers ache........this was lengthy cool grin
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by iykmora(m): 9:05pm On Jun 18, 2016
Choi, anytime I see an update of this thread,i quickly click on it hoping to see a link from Gbola5 of a new chapter from Grrm...aaaaahhhh but
Na una two I go come see. Choi, see how lengthy the posts are, Na one quote of a script or an entire chapter of a book una scatter up there so? I don dey fear una walahi...

***checks title of thread again on his way out***

una weldone o... sad tongue

2 Likes

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 4:03am On Jun 19, 2016
iykmora:
Choi, anytime I see an update of this thread,i quickly click on it hoping to see a link from Gbola5 of a new chapter from Grrm...aaaaahhhh by Na una two I go come see. Choi, see how lengthy it posts are, Na one quote of a script or an entire chapter of a book una scatter up there so? I don dey fear una walahi...

una welcome o... sad tongue
no vex bro,
these series is very very good,and not so popular on NL infact this braniacx guy na the only person I no wey Don read am.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by iykmora(m): 11:31am On Jun 19, 2016
SIRcumalot:

no vex bro,
these series is very very good,and not so popular on NL infact this braniacx guy na the only person I no wey Don read am.
nooo....nothing lyk dat...I just dey jape ni o...hppy Sunday sir. cool
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 1:35pm On Jun 19, 2016
Merry Sunday guys. Nice to know we now have new people who are as crazed abt ASOIAF as many alumni of this thread are/were (GRRM has really let a lot of people down by his prevaricating).

To everyone who just discovered the thread and wanted me to send them the books, somewhere on the thread I dropped my BBm pin so that anyone could add me up and request for it. I've lost count of the number of people who I was able to send the files to. But that was a long time ago. Since then, I've had memory card issues and lost all my files. Had to even ask someone on the thread to send the books to me again. So for now I only have books one through five. Add me up on 5C2E9015 if you want a transfer. Besides, a simple Google Search would provide you with download links of any resource material on ASOIAF that you need. Trust me, there are tons of it on the web.

That said, now that the show has done a great/poor job (depending on who you ask) of revealing major plots should, we hold it as canon?

Look at Arya's arc for example. How can you compare Mercedene the acolyte and her warging abilities with that shadow of a character the show has made of Arya Stark?

I read the latest chapter (damphair) and I can say for myself that the show still has nothing on the books. It's only the book that can best describe the Damphair's torment in the belly of the beast in that detail and with such perspective. How possibly can the show convey the glory of seeing Euron Greyjoy in an armor of valyrian steel?

My only prayer is that GRRM has the health to finish writing all the books to the conclusion.

Valar Moghulis.

2 Likes

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 1:55pm On Jun 19, 2016
I uploaded them to my docdroid. You can
download them yourselves from there. Enough
sending through mail.

http://docdro.id/pdYDExm

http://docdro.id/E5vVZWn

http://docdro.id/h7Yp3Nk

http://docdro.id/LyPTkG3

http://docdro.id/hprO5TH

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2014/10/30/the-world-of-ice-fire/

They are arranged in no order. The download
button is somewhere on top.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by armadeo(m): 10:47pm On Jun 20, 2016
BraniacX:
a sworn sword will do thanks wink

Links to the book are on the post above this one.

I need links to this Roman epic you guys have been discussing. Lets see if it's as hot as you say.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 11:38pm On Jun 20, 2016
armadeo:

Links to the book are on the post above this one.

I need links to this Roman epic you guys have been discussing. Lets see if it's as hot as you say.

The link for A sworn sword isn't in Gbola5's post.

I don't know if digital versions of these books are available but the authors name is colleen McCullough and the first book in that series i think is "first man in rome" others are "fortune's favourites" "grass crown" "ceasar" "ceasar's women" amongst others.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 6:54am On Jun 21, 2016
BraniacX:

The link for A sworn sword isn't in Gbola5's post.

I don't know if digital versions of these books are available but the authors name is colleen McCullough and the first book in that series i think is "first man in rome" others are "fortune's favourites" "grass crown" "ceasar" "ceasar's women" amongst others.
so you read the hard-copy of the series?
waoh!!!
Marius aligned with Saturninus so the great man isnt infallible.
I recall that it was Marius who made ceasear the flamen dialis not Sulla.Sulla never really add any serious beef with ceasear.
all this talk as made me to finally start reading the October horse.

@armadeo make sure you download the versions that has pictures and map.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by armadeo(m): 8:11am On Jun 21, 2016
SIRcumalot:

waoh!!!
I recall that it was Marius who made ceasear the flamen dialis not Sulla.Sulla never really add any serious beef with ceasear.

I have searched and searched to no avail. No copies anywhere. Am not ready to join any website to get them.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 10:14am On Jun 21, 2016
SIRcumalot:

waoh!!!

Marius used not aligned with saturninius when he was only a promising and brilliant tribune of the plebs but when saturninius grew wings and went demagouge, marius as dictator sanctioned his murder by sulla and his aristocratic goon squad grin
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by BraniacX(m): 10:20am On Jun 21, 2016
iykmora:
Choi, anytime I see an update of this thread,i quickly click on it hoping to see a link from Gbola5 of a new chapter from Grrm...aaaaahhhh by Na una two I go come see. Choi, see how lengthy it posts are, Na one quote of a script or an entire chapter of a book una scatter up there so? I don dey fear una walahi...

una weldone o... sad tongue

My bad grin embarassed grin embarassed grin embarassed grin
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 3:38pm On Jun 21, 2016
armadeo:

I have searched and searched to no avail. No copies anywhere. Am not ready to join any website to get them.

drop your mail here.
I go send the first book to you. cheesy.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by armadeo(m): 11:20pm On Jun 21, 2016
SIRcumalot:

drop your mail here.
I go send the first book to you. cheesy.

Saw you in the other thread. Holla back.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 11:44pm On Jun 21, 2016
I don send am comot your mail @armadeo

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (31) (Reply)

Caleb (Non-human Fiction) By Safarigirl / E. Fantasy(short Stories) / Sexcapade With The Neighbors Daughters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.