Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:05 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (3404) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3658805 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3401) (3402) (3403) (3404) (3405) (3406) (3407) ... (3811) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Sniper101(m): 2:01pm On Feb 05, 2023
Barrywhyte1:

Netflix is not the only streaming service, there are many now.

No marvel Or DC movie will ever be on Netflix when they have Disney+ and HBO max.

Hmmmm
Alright

Guess I've gotta find some other means
by which I'll see the movie ni 😒
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by peacettw: 2:01pm On Feb 05, 2023
Just finished Before Valentines. Lovely movie
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 2:09pm On Feb 05, 2023
GloriousGbola:

this is why we should have nothing but prayers for netflix

they are the ones with an interest in promoting struggling movie industries in places like nigeria

a lot of all the big name studios or companies have zero interest in establishing a footprint here

this is especially important for Nigerians that love jumping on all those western holy wars of netflix vs amazon, steam vs epic etal.

the real question is - which of them are providing services that make your life better?

i like video games - and it is epic games that is providing regional discounts - which means if you are in nigeria, you can get $20 indie games for $5

Microsoft does the same - infact you can pay for most apps/games/subscriptions available on the microsoft store in NAIRA. so why would i want to buy a PS5 where i would have to pay in dollars with no discount whatsoever?

minecraft legends will release in april . 40 usd , but 10k in NAIRA.

those are companies/businesses that are investing in our market

For Netflix, well they've always and hold a significant majority of their success on other regions. The expansion to all parts of the world meant they had to invest in local content.

It's not necessarily the same business style with traditional Hollywood who just produces movies for the theatrical experience. It's very different from Netflix's operation spectrum. Netflix and it's streaming counterparts still have a huge reliance on the said big Hollywood studios content Library.

For me, I don't see Netflix as the only streamer with true interest to invest in local regions. Others do it, but since they're not as big as Netflix you don't here it or see it much. The reason you're seeing Netflix a local champion is cos they've been in the business for long and had to invest in local content to expand. In regions like India even Netflix and Disney plus struggles cos their local streaming platforms there have stronger indigene content and understands the landscape.

HBO (with Tokyo Vice) also does this with Latin America and Scandinavian content. Apple TV had Pachinko last year.
But because they're not entrenched here in Africa it'd go under the radar.
I don't see it as altruistic, North America entertainment has peaked and there's little to no growth in the market there. This is where the massive globalisation push comes from and Africa and Asia is the best alternative with growing markets and middle class. It's business.
Netflix and co have valid reasons to invest in these regions especially in entertainment hubs like Nigeria. Heck, Netflix biggest hit is Korea's Squid Game.

I understand some companies pivoting towards other regions and others not. That's one of the major criticism of PayPal and it's limitations to Nigerians.

I think it was 2021 that Spotify became available in Nigeria. All what we need is enabling environment and the big wigs will come compete for us. It only means better experience and quality for we locals. If we grow to a stage that we can't be ignored, the relevant big boys of various industries will want a share of that pie. It's just business.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 2:51pm On Feb 05, 2023
zimdante:

"The Good fellas" Another Amazing Oldie
.yeah on my watchlist already.

I have several if not almost all on cue. Na time just remain.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by OhBritannia(m): 3:09pm On Feb 05, 2023
The pirates (2014) is 7/10 for me.
This is one pirate adventure movie that i totally enjoyed.
Koreans are funny, like too funny, half of the time in the movie, i was just laughing out loud 😁😁😁😁😁 even their facial expressions will make you burst into laughter.

Movie is entertaining though, nice sword flights, nice Storyline too.
Of all the ancient cultures of kings and Queens, i must say i admire the royal settings of the Koreans or Chinese or Japanese the most. So colourful and beautiful with their pretty Ladies 😎😎😎

Anyways let me download part two and watch.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 3:47pm On Feb 05, 2023
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022) 7.5/10

Ryan Coogler helms another journey to Wakanda as we watch the nation and new lead character Shuri, deal with the death of T'Challa and threat from a whole new civilization led by the mutant, Namor.

First off, we're not just dealing with a character race swap here. It's a whole culture swap, with the European Atlantis being replaced by the Mesoamerican Talokan.
Now I generally don't have much problems with swaps in fiction. My major problem is that they appear to be one-sided and this constitutes a double standard and I abhor double standards.
That aside, the concept of Talokan is amazing and a pretty decent incorporation and presentation of Mesoamerican culture by my amateur opinion.

Tenoch Huerta's Namor doesn't exactly reach the heights of Michael B. Jordan's Killmonger but is still a really solid character, one that we can expect a lot more development from and who I believe will eventually grow into his place with the fans.

Now, of course, there's the matter of Shuri. With Chadwick's tragic passing putting a kink in Marvel's plans, they were stuck between recasting or rewriting. Choosing not to mess with Chadwick's cult following, they opted to pass the mantle of Black Panther to Letitia Wright's Shuri.
I don't really know how many ideas they ran through before deciding to rerun a different version of T'Challa's Civil War introduction with Shuri's character. So just like her brother before her, Shuri loses a parent, goes on a grief-stricken revenge warpath and then realizes that vengeance is not the path she wants to thread as well.
It's not the most original character story, obviously but it gets the job done, considering that they weren't supposed to be introducing another Panther this soon. Perhaps, having Shuri rewalk T'Challa's story beats shapes her Panther to continue plotlines that were originally intended for T'Challa's Panther. That would definitely solve some real world headaches.

The acting is decent enough in most parts, and even great in some parts. Angela Bassett does an amazing job, even if I don't consider it amazing enough for that Oscar nomination.
Tenoch Huerta impresses in his debut and Namor is definitely a character I look forward to see more of going forward.
Lupita handles business effortlessly at this point. Her talent isn't really addressed enough.
Danai Gurira didn't really do great. Infact, I'd say her performance dropped from the previous movie. I suspect it had to do with how her character was written here. Her character arc felt rushed and the humor they were going for with her in some scenes either fell flat or was just cringe.
Dominique Thorne's Riri Williams didn't get much chance to showcase or develop her character past cool, genius black girl, which is quite the lost opportunity considering that this should be a springboard to get people interested in her upcoming Ironheart series.
Julia Louis-Dreyfus' Val de Fontaine keeps it intriguing with every small appearance and I can't wait to see her have a more major role in the Thunderbolts movie.

The plot isn't particularly mind-blowing. It's essentially the foundation for a new larger story and it does a pretty good job of introducing its new characters and new roles for existing characters.
Some plot points could've used more time but understable that stuff had to be cut to fit the 2 hour 40 minute runtime and there's not really scenes I would particularly call filler. Resulted in some beats feeling a bit too fast paced.
The fight scenes were well done, with some really good choreography in some spots. Loved the concept of a siren song as a weapon for the Talokans.
That said, anyone that called Riri's suit a Power Ranger was not lying or joking. I like Power Rangers (Mighty Morphins will forever be golden for me) but that design should never be seen in the MCU again.

The music was great. Great performances from Foudeqush, Burna, Tems, Rihanna and many others. Ludwig Göransson does a really good job composing the background music and curating the score.

Wakanda Forever closes out what is figuratively a new phase 1 after Endgame with a decent presentation while paying tribute to a much beloved Chadwick Boseman and setting up new storylines to be explored in the upcoming phase.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Gmajor(m): 4:46pm On Feb 05, 2023
ValeeLove:
I know it's late, but Everything Everywhere All At Once is hot garbage, and IMDB can't convince me otherwise. What did I watch biko? I'll have to be careful with what I watch henceforth cos this is the height of it.

You no sabi watch film

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Haywhy433(m): 5:01pm On Feb 05, 2023
Goodday.
I've been trying to download the Notebook (2004) but I just couldn't figure it out. Please help bosses
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 5:04pm On Feb 05, 2023
Loved this callback

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 5:05pm On Feb 05, 2023
Stealing your brother's line, Shuri?

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 5:08pm On Feb 05, 2023
Folks already writing up foolscap lengths on what this is foreshadowing

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 5:10pm On Feb 05, 2023
This track has me in a chokehold. Definitely best track from the soundtrack album.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Flamemignon1(m): 5:12pm On Feb 05, 2023
abduleez1:

Yep, it's a movie. Imo it's the most interesting movie in the initial slate reveal. Especially the morally gray characters.
I love the daring stroyline.
Alphabet people no really get box office muscle sef except their online noise. Anyway, it garners their support for DC since we barely include it in stories with even LGBT characters like Harley Quinn.

How you see this casting?? grin grin
You are forgetting that we are <10% of the entire world. Allies are the ones doing our work not even us and most of us are just doing "performative activism" on socials. No straight man (who are the highest movie watching 1demographic) is gonna go pay to watch men kiss each other especially knowing the background of the movie before hand even if they are allies,in this economy? Except straight men who are allies to their queer siblings like Chris Evans who is very open about going to go see his gay brother Scott Evans gay movies to show support or Pedro Pascal who has a trans sister and watched "Paris is burning" to also show support although Pedro is literally in a glass closet as the entire Hollywood knows or even women who fetishize man on man action to satisfy the female gaze or movies like Ira Sachs "passages" where a gay man going through a sexual crisis cheats on his husband with a woman and continues to go back to get more pussy,there are three sex scenes in that movie and the straight sex scenes looks unsimulated,the theatre was also packed with straight men at the Sundance premier. Unless it's a lesbian helmed movie where straight men will be queuing to see some girl on girl action, it's already dead on arrival. I may be wrong but let's see how "a knock at the cabin" fares which is a movie I'm skeptical about since Himalayan night is involved
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Flamemignon1(m): 5:29pm On Feb 05, 2023
pu7pl3:

Will he agree to act Gay scenes?
Seriously man,you are asking of all actors especially British actors if Cavill is open to gay scenes? Lol cheesy grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 5:35pm On Feb 05, 2023
Kaycee7:
This track has me in a chokehold. Definitely best track from the soundtrack album.
You know ball chief! The entire OST was so trippy and good. Gave good credence to the scenes.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Flamemignon1(m): 5:42pm On Feb 05, 2023
Kaycee7:
I can't seem to pick between this album and the eternals OST as my favorite marvel OST album,Gorannson is the GOAT,I can't wait to see what he does with the Oppenheimer

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Gidah: 5:45pm On Feb 05, 2023
oyaskii:
RE: Horrible Bosses (2011)

"Slapstick comedy gold"

I miss the era of slapstick comedy flicks with shitty critic ratings and Horrible Bosses is one of the finest.

It set out as 3 friends with horrible bosses and the only solution they came up with was to eliminate these bosses. What followed is a series of comical manuvers that will keep you giggling throughout 😁.

With Jason Sudeikis, Charlie Day, and Jason Bateman starring with support from Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Aniston, Collin ferrell and Jamie Foxx, it was actually an ensemble cast.

They don't make comedy movies like this anymore, totally miss this era.
have you seen the brothers grimsby
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 5:50pm On Feb 05, 2023
Haywhy433:
Goodday.
I've been trying to download the Notebook (2004) but I just couldn't figure it out. Please help bosses

720p https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QNGOHR8c56KpwFnn7azHCW_ALIH4oIOS/view?usp=drivesdk

480p https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DMLYXbj6B_KwvYGpWBlq8yOCDjToiTUF/view?usp=drivesdk

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Flamemignon1(m): 5:53pm On Feb 05, 2023
oyaskii:
3hrs run time in 2023? Damien Chazelle is a fine film maker but my attention span recently have been on the edge so I'm avoiding movies over 2hrs runtime except it's absolutely necessary, so please was this worth the ridiculous runtime?
Believe me buddy,you are missing out on nothing. It follows his Hollywood tortured star trope from whiplash to lala land and now this,first man is the only exception. The movie was entertaining as it relied on shock value rather than an immersive plot,some scenes were literally useless but I wouldn't call it good,just entertaining. I love Chazelle but Babylon wasn't it. Poor Margot, she's had three back to back flops, the media will soon start to label her as box office poison
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 5:53pm On Feb 05, 2023
Gidah:
have you seen the brothers grimsby
No sir. The reviews were too mixed.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by nani667: 5:54pm On Feb 05, 2023
Some Classics for the week ⬇️⬇️

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 5:59pm On Feb 05, 2023
Flamemignon1:

Believe me buddy,you are missing out on nothing. It follows his Hollywood tortured star trope from whiplash to lala land and now this,first man is the only exception. The movie was entertaining as it relied on shock value rather than an immersive plot,some scenes were literally useless but I wouldn't call it good,just entertaining. I love Chazelle but Babylon wasn't it. Poor Margot, she's had three back to back flops
Ironically, it is next on my watchlist and since i have already copped it, i might as well go ahead and see it.

Plus I haven't seen a bad Damien Chazelle and Justin Hurwitz combo, so if for anything, i might enjoy the OST and score.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Flamemignon1(m): 6:01pm On Feb 05, 2023
abduleez1:
MCU and stray bullets..... grin
You are really really rolling out for your people Sha after how many chances but we shall see
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Flamemignon1(m): 6:03pm On Feb 05, 2023
oyaskii:
Ironically, it is next on my watchlist and since i have already copped it, i might as well go ahead and see it.

Plus I haven't seen a bad Damien Chazelle and Justin Hurwitz combo, so if for anything, i might enjoy the OST and score.
Oh I have to credit the score, it's brilliant.....really mirrored the Jazz era and the setting, costuming is just "chef's kiss" .TBH, people think Hollywood is hollyweird now,then was even more hollyweird than now. You may or may not like it like me but one thing I assure you is that you will be entertained
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 6:13pm On Feb 05, 2023
Flamemignon1:

I can't seem to pick between this album and the eternals OST as my favorite marvel OST album,Gorannson is the GOAT,I can't wait to see what he does with the Oppenheimer
My favorite MCU OST would be No Way Home's OST. Arachnoverture is unrivalled in my playlist.
Loved the Eternals' OST as well. Across the Oceans of Time is an eargasm anytime.
Göransson has definitely been on fire for a while now. He'll definitely cook with Oppenheimer.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 6:17pm On Feb 05, 2023
oyaskii:
You know ball chief! The entire OST was so trippy and good. Gave good credence to the scenes.
The OST just dey carry me go where I no know. From the funeral songs to Burna to Fireboy and then that track. Thankfully my subtitles put me onto the title immediately. Didn't have to wait for shazam.
Reactions to the rest of the movie may be mixed but I think we can definitely agree on the fire soundtrack

3 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:48pm On Feb 05, 2023
Flamemignon1:

You are really really rolling out for your people Sha after how many chances but we shall see

Everyone knows no matter the lie they want to tell themselves that DC has no equal in terms of storytelling. It's only the Cinematic universe with tons of connected films and characters that we falter in.

Anyways, with James Gunn and Peter Safran we're already seeing true hype and excitement is back at DC in general. Even the comics division is enjoying after James promotion of the comics that might inspire the new DCU. They're selling out on online stores. Almost every one of them.

We might have future issues with Gunn and Safran down the line but the duo's heart is in the right place and it shows they truly know and value their source material. There is nothing as exciting to see than a filmmaker respecting the source material of his projects. That's what gets you loyal fanbases.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:52pm On Feb 05, 2023
Kaycee7:
My favorite MCU OST would be No Way Home's OST. Arachnoverture is unrivalled in my playlist.
Loved the Eternals' OST as well. Across the Oceans of Time is an eargasm anytime.
Göransson has definitely been on fire for a while now. He'll definitely cook with Oppenheimer.

I am yet to watch the movie yet but I think the movie has the best OST the MCU has put out. It's goated fr. Especially Rihanna's "Lift Me Up" and Tems "No Woman No Cry". Burna Boy sef cook something.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Gidah: 8:25pm On Feb 05, 2023
oyaskii:
No sir. The reviews were too mixed.
if you find horrible bosses funny yoy surely gonna like it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pu7pl3(m): 8:33pm On Feb 05, 2023
Flamemignon1:

Seriously man,you are asking of all actors especially British actors if Cavill is open to gay scenes? Lol cheesy grin

Verifiedstalin? 😏
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 8:33pm On Feb 05, 2023
Kaycee7:
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022) 7.5/10

Ryan Coogler helms another journey to Wakanda as we watch the nation and new lead character Shuri, deal with the death of T'Challa and threat from a whole new civilization led by the mutant, Namor.

First off, we're not just dealing with a character race swap here. It's a whole culture swap, with the European Atlantis being replaced by the Mesoamerican Talokan.
Now I generally don't have much problems with swaps in fiction. My major problem is that they appear to be one-sided and this constitutes a double standard and I abhor double standards.
That aside, the concept of Talokan is amazing and a pretty decent incorporation and presentation of Mesoamerican culture by my amateur opinion.

Tenoch Huerta's Namor doesn't exactly reach the heights of Michael B. Jordan's Killmonger but is still a really solid character, one that we can expect a lot more development from and who I believe will eventually grow into his place with the fans.

Now, of course, there's the matter of Shuri. With Chadwick's tragic passing putting a kink in Marvel's plans, they were stuck between recasting or rewriting. Choosing not to mess with Chadwick's cult following, they opted to pass the mantle of Black Panther to Letitia Wright's Shuri.
I don't really know how many ideas they ran through before deciding to rerun a different version of T'Challa's Civil War introduction with Shuri's character. So just like her brother before her, Shuri loses a parent, goes on a grief-stricken revenge warpath and then realizes that vengeance is not the path she wants to thread as well.
It's not the most original character story, obviously but it gets the job done, considering that they weren't supposed to be introducing another Panther this soon. Perhaps, having Shuri rewalk T'Challa's story beats shapes her Panther to continue plotlines that were originally intended for T'Challa's Panther. That would definitely solve some real world headaches.

The acting is decent enough in most parts, and even great in some parts. Angela Bassett does an amazing job, even if I don't consider it amazing enough for that Oscar nomination.
Tenoch Huerta impresses in his debut and Namor is definitely a character I look forward to see more of going forward.
Lupita handles business effortlessly at this point. Her talent isn't really addressed enough.
Danai Gurira didn't really do great. Infact, I'd say her performance dropped from the previous movie. I suspect it had to do with how her character was written here. Her character arc felt rushed and the humor they were going for with her in some scenes either fell flat or was just cringe.
Dominique Thorne's Riri Williams didn't get much chance to showcase or develop her character past cool, genius black girl, which is quite the lost opportunity considering that this should be a springboard to get people interested in her upcoming Ironheart series.
Julia Louis-Dreyfus' Val de Fontaine keeps it intriguing with every small appearance and I can't wait to see her have a more major role in the Thunderbolts movie.

The plot isn't particularly mind-blowing. It's essentially the foundation for a new larger story and it does a pretty good job of introducing its new characters and new roles for existing characters.
Some plot points could've used more time but understable that stuff had to be cut to fit the 2 hour 40 minute runtime and there's not really scenes I would particularly call filler. Resulted in some beats feeling a bit too fast paced.
The fight scenes were well done, with some really good choreography in some spots. Loved the concept of a siren song as a weapon for the Talokans.
That said, anyone that called Riri's suit a Power Ranger was not lying or joking. I like Power Rangers (Mighty Morphins will forever be golden for me) but that design should never be seen in the MCU again.

The music was great. Great performances from Foudeqush, Burna, Tems, Rihanna and many others. Ludwig Göransson does a really good job composing the background music and curating the score.

Wakanda Forever closes out what is figuratively a new phase 1 after Endgame with a decent presentation while paying tribute to a much beloved Chadwick Boseman and setting up new storylines to be explored in the upcoming phase.
Nice...

But I'm still not watching it 😒
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 8:34pm On Feb 05, 2023
Gmajor:

You no sabi watch film
As in ehn.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3401) (3402) (3403) (3404) (3405) (3406) (3407) ... (3811) (Reply)

BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: Kaycee7(m), keemsleek(m), POLS, Baddestguyp(m), Shegzdave and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.