Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! (2334 Views)

Saving Our Economy- Crude Oil, Part 2: Oil Partnerships (a la Olu Falae!) / Nigeria's Elumelu Seeking 2 Oil Blocks For Power Plants / Fg Revokes 2 Oil Blocks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by aluta4live: 5:22pm On Jul 28, 2008
MEND Blows 2 Oil Pipelines
The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, MEND, has announced that it has blown up two major pipelines in Kula on the fringes of the Atla read more »
Am just readin it now

www.allNigeria.net na wa for this MEND ooh.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by idupaul: 5:26pm On Jul 28, 2008
i thougt the army was on alert there, hmmm
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by Ibime(m): 5:30pm On Jul 28, 2008
Hmmmmmm . . . . . . .I know that place well . . . that should secure one more Petroleum Institute (like the one proposed for Delta) and one more positive discrimination scheme. . . . but until the derivation for the Niger Delta is increased, (which is the real crux of the issue), there will be more attacks to come.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jul 28, 2008
congrats to MEND. When oil stops flowing maybe those hausa freeloaders would be forced to accept the fact that a lot of southerners now firmly want control of what belongs to them.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by chei: 9:06pm On Jul 28, 2008
Very good, I hope Lawal Yar Adua bribes them with more billions.
Thunder fire Nigeria.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by ow11(m): 10:22pm On Jul 28, 2008
I think MEND should completely shut down production. Then lets see if those Abuja theives would stop their current jobs of plundering Nigeria's bank account and do what they were selected for.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by texazzpete(m): 10:14am On Jul 29, 2008
ow11:

I think MEND should completely shut down production. Then lets see if those Abuja theives would stop their current jobs of plundering Nigeria's bank account and do what they were selected for.

yep. Shut down the source of 90+% of Nigeria's income. And let's see if those bloody civil servants will get paid their salaries, eh?

davidylan:

congrats to MEND. When oil stops flowing maybe those hausa freeloaders would be forced to accept the fact that a lot of southerners now firmly want control of what belongs to them.

There's a pattern emerging with MEND constantly attacking Shell pipelines. I myself feel there's more to this than meets the eye. Why crow about crippling attacks on a Tax paying company? And why does no one realize that these pipeline explosions send barrels of oil spilling into the coastal/swamp waters?
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by dayokanu(m): 10:21am On Jul 29, 2008
All those MEND and militants are just common criminals to me.

If you think its resource control they are fighting for then you are behind the News.

The Militants rob banks as a way of fighting for resource control. tongue tongue
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by Ibime(m): 10:37am On Jul 29, 2008
MEND blew up some more pipelines? GBOSA!

Texazzpete and Dayo, you can cry all you want. It is time for you to feel the pain - the pain of the sons of illiterates giving jobs to their brothers, other sons of illiterates - whilst you, whose own grandfather was educated is shut out. They marginalise you, then they query your education. Whereas your people have been educated since the late 1800's and early 1900's. Feel the pain.

We are all behind MEND. Thank God they are the only group who didn't sell out on the struggle - despite all your efforts to tarnish their reputation, they have the respect of the people.

Blow the whole damn shit to smithereens for all I care. Let us return to the constitution on which we agreed to join Nigeria or not at all.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by dayokanu(m): 10:45am On Jul 29, 2008
MEND blew up some more pipelines? GBOSA!

Texazzpete and Dayo, you can cry all you want. It is time for you to feel the pain - the pain of the sons of illiterates giving jobs to their brothers, other sons of illiterates - whilst you, whose own grandfather was educated is shut out. They marginalise you, then they query your education. Whereas your people have been educated since the late 1800's and early 1900's. Feel the pain.

We are all behind MEND. Thank God they are the only group who didn't sell out on the struggle - despite all your efforts to tarnish their reputation, they have the respect of the people.

Blow the whole damn shit to smithereens for all I care. Let us return to the constitution on which we agreed to join Nigeria or not at all.

Are you really in PH? Cos I am very close to those off shore communities and I have come to realise that all those militants are criminals.

Oil community indegenes get Schorlarship to go to Universities.

Oil community Graduates are given preferential treatment in getting oil jobs via the community slots.

They Benefit from NDDC funds.

So what is their Problem?
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by Ibime(m): 10:59am On Jul 29, 2008
dayokanu:

Are you really in PH? Cos I am very close to those off shore communities and I have come to realise that all those militants are criminals.

All those militants or MEND? Which one?

dayokanu:

Oil community indegenes get Schorlarship to go to Universities.

Very recently. Thanks to MEND.

dayokanu:

Oil community Graduates are given preferential treatment in getting oil jobs via the community slots.

Very recently. Thanks to MEND

dayokanu:

They Benefit from NDDC funds.

Very recently. Thanks to MEND, Saro-Wiwa and Asari-Dokubo

dayokanu:

So what is their Problem?

Their problem is that the above stated will not satisfy us now until we return to the original constitution upon which we agreed to join Nigeria - or forget it.

We noticed that unless you do gra-gra in this Nigeria, you will never get anything for yourselves. The Hausa man will give job to his brother, the Yoruba and Ibo will do the same - and suddenly, you find that you have nothing but pollution and oppression.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by idupaul: 11:29am On Jul 29, 2008
ALL THIS IS GOING ON HERE WHAT THE WEAK ARMY HAS TO SAY,

The Army Chief of Operations, Maj.-Gen. Mohammed Sale, told journalists in Kontagora, Niger State on Monday, that the Army needed to exercise restraint because the militants were a symmetric force (weaker force).

weaker force is it till they kill the president dat the would be considered strong, the army chaps are just becoming clowns.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by Ibime(m): 11:33am On Jul 29, 2008
The reason the Army needs to exercise restraint has nothing to do with their 'ideals'. If the militants were in some barren land such as the Middle Belt, they would have flushed them out long ago with no mercy, even ethnic cleansing as they did in Zaki. The only reason they have not moved in is that the oil is being held hostage. If they move in, oil production would stop completely.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by idupaul: 11:44am On Jul 29, 2008
Ibime:

The reason the Army needs to exercise restraint has nothing to do with their 'ideals'. If the militants were in some barren land such as the Middle Belt, they would have flushed them out long ago with no mercy, even ethnic cleansing as they did in Zaki. The only reason they have not moved in is that the oil is being held hostage. If they move in, oil production would stop completely.

hmmmmm, some sense in this, hmmmm
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by dayokanu(m): 11:54am On Jul 29, 2008
No Ibime.

When I was in the University in the mid 90's, we had Mobil and Elf schorlarship for the oil producing areas. Before the days of MEND maybe if you say Saro Wiwa but not MEND and Asari.

Since 2001, I have known of community slots in oil company recruitment. Definitely Asari and MEND were not in existence then.

NDDC has been in existence for how long? Since 2000 that is before MEND and Asari. What of OMPADEC,

Go to the NDDC site here http://nddc.gov.ng/ and see for yourself. Its run by Niger Deltans  SO what else do these Militants want.

The reason why Army have to exercise restraint is that this is more like a Guerilla warfare and the militant are in the civilian populace.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by Ibime(m): 12:37pm On Jul 29, 2008
dayokanu:

When I was in the University in the mid 90's, we had Mobil and Elf schorlarship for the oil producing areas. Before the days of MEND maybe if you say Saro Wiwa but not MEND and Asari.

Since 2001, I have known of community slots in oil company recruitment. Definitely Asari and MEND were not in existence then.

NDDC has been in existence for how long? Since 2000 that is before MEND and Asari. What of OMPADEC,

Go to the NDDC site here http://nddc.gov.ng/ and see for yourself. Its run by Niger Deltans  SO what else do these Militants want.

Yes, my Aunty worked for OMPADEC and now NNDC. Even in 1970, my father had SHELL Scolarship to UK. These things have always been there . . . . but not enough. . . .In 1970, only 4 people from Rivers State recieved SHELL scholarship . . . . and none of them ended up working for SHELL . . . . what difference does 4 people make when the major ethnic groups already have hundreds and thousands in the oil industry, and keep hiring their brothers, perpetuating the problem. . . . . .when my father came back to Naija, he told of Hausas and Yorubas less qualified than himself running things in NNPC and the oil companies and giving jobs to their brothers. Fresh graduates managing something they know nothing about. He did projects for NNPC in Bonny and could not believe the incompetence of some of these people. 

The fact is that people like MEND and Saro-Wiwa have achieved results for us. There are now positive discrimination schemes and such, much more than before. FG has announced it is opening a Petroleum institute in Delta abi Bayelsa. Good news.

You have to understand the politics of Nigeria at the turn of independence to know why we were marginalised. Three political parties were controlled by three different tribes because an Ibo man would always vote for N.C.N.C, the Hausa man would always vote for the N.P.C and the Yoruba man would always vote for the A.G. Therefore the coalition government had no incentive to make appointments from ethnic minorities because they could not lose their core voting blocs. Therefore the whole country (including the oil industry) was split into three pies with no regard for any other ethnic minority. There are still other ethnic minorities suffering, who are yet to raise their voice because Nigeria always believes that as long as there is a balance between Yoruba, Ibo and Hausa, then everything is OK - even if the other groups have nothing. This is the politics of power.

The odds were stacked against us from the jump and all these little bitty scholarships cannot change any of that.

dayokanu:

Go to the NDDC site here http://nddc.gov.ng/ and see for yourself. Its run by Niger Deltans  SO what else do these Militants want.

Do not ask what the militants want, ask what the Nider Delta people want. I can tell you what MEND wants because their wants are the same as their people. I don't know what the other militant groups want. As for MEND and the Niger Delta people, we want a return to constitution upon which we agreed to join Nigeria - 50% for the region and 50% for the Federal Government.

Right now, this 13% is not enough - especially as the people of the Niger Delta and oil producing Ibo regions are more than 13% of the population anyway. The Hausa man NEVER wants you to discuss this federal derivation. They always want to talk about development. Well, phock development. We signed a contract with Nigeria in 1960 and we will not rest until that contract is honoured, otherwise we will blow this shit to smithereens.

If not for MEND, we would not even have got that 13%. If not for MEND, they would not have increased these scholarship and positive discrimination schemes that they used to pay lip service to in the 1990's. I remember when OBJ was fighting with us over offshore dichotomy and Asari them made a lot of noise on our behalf.

dayokanu:

The reason why Army have to exercise restraint is that this is more like a Guerilla warfare and the militant are in the civilian populace.

You are right. It is guerilla warfare. There is no guerilla warfare without the consent of the people. The people FULLY support MEND, from educated to illiterate, old to young, male to female. MEND is our voice. The government always tries to discredit them in the media by classifying them with the other militants but the fact is that MEND is only concerned with political activities and blowing up oil installations, nothing else. All these kidnappings and profiteering and election thuggery is the work of other groups. That is why when you hear that a pipeline is blown up, it is always MEND who did it, no other militants.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by Jakumo(m): 12:53pm On Jul 29, 2008
The motive behind an increasing percentage of Nigeria's oil pipe-line explosions is to interrupt oil flow sufficiently to facilitate the fitting of unauthorized valves into the pipeline before the break gets mended and flow restored.  When flow resumes, those illegal valves are opened for crude oil to be tapped and loaded into floating barges.

Those barges then shuttle back and forth to offload their liquid cargo on the "mother ship" which when full weighs anchor and sets course for Europe with falsified bills of laden.  Payment for that stolen oil is either in hard currency or military hardware, depending on whether the oil-tappers are motivated by greed, political grievance or both.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by ow11(m): 1:12pm On Jul 29, 2008
texazzpete:

yes. Shut down the source of 90+% of Nigeria's income. And let's see if those bloody civil servants will get paid their salaries, eh?

There's a pattern emerging with MEND constantly attacking Shell pipelines. I myself feel there's more to this than meets the eye. Why crow about crippling attacks on a Tax paying company? And why does no one realize that these pipeline explosions send barrels of oil spilling into the coastal/swamp waters?

I hope you are aware that MEND and Abuja boys stealing crude are different.If the government is sincere about safeguarding the lives of oil workers and Nigerians, they would seriously look into the crux of the matter and put an end to this rubbish. It is because they are benefitting from the chaos thats why they are allowing this to continue. Every explosion is MEND. Even the one Obj, IBB, Lukman and those Abuja peeps do to enable them steal crude is blamed on MEND.

MEND should completely shut down production. Let all oil companies go. Nigerians will loose their jobs but at least Abuja boys will pay attention since their major source of income is gone.

The oil companies are working in an unfriendly environment and are forced to do things they aren't supposed to do. Yet this corrupt Nigerian government allows Big men in the north to steal crude and damage the environment. Oil bunkering has been going on for years in ND. many people don't know that. The degradtion to the environment Saro Wiwa talked about was caused in part by neglect from oil companies and majorly from illegal bunkering.

Now ND youths have joined in stealing crude and are using it to drive home a point their elders have been saying but they are painted black and called criminals. Meanwhile, the real theives are in Abuja drinking crystal and celebrating their latest loot.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by SkyBlue1: 1:13pm On Jul 29, 2008
@Ibime i am continuously cofused at your willingness to continue to speak for everybody in the Niger Delta as if you are the voice of the whole populace, i just find this quite irritating to be honest. How many companies have pulled out of the Niger Delta as a result of insecurity and therefore how many jobs and employment positions have been lost due to this? And yet you think everyone is in support of this militancy ? When you say the people are "FULLY" in support of MEND it makes me wonder whether you are now a mind reader. Please no one asked you to speak for everybody, speak for yourself. I know a lot of people in Port Harcourt and have friends there and none of them are rejoicing over militancy but find the insecurity quite irritating. Insecurity that has actually led to reduction in the little employment that was there in the first place. So is it only the Niger Delta region that is being marginalised? When people like Peter Odili were getting chieftancy titles all over Nigeria and from traditional leaders while killing his people and refusing to develop the state where was the "freedom fighting" "high and mighty" and glorious MEND. Why am i even bothering? I am sure you will come up with a convenient excuse, it is not difficult to do so if you really want to.

I have avoided this issue because this topic had been discussed to exhaustive lengths so don't take people's unwillingness to argue it out with you as a sign that they agree with what you say. The only reason i responded was when you started towing that line of 'you know how everybody feels about the issue'. Please speak for yourself, i find no credibility whatsoever in MEND and think they are a bunch of criminals. If you think they are not then that is you and not everybody including friends and people i care about in Port Harcourt who keep on complaining that the army should come in and stabilise the region.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by Ibime(m): 1:25pm On Jul 29, 2008
Sky Blue:

Please no one asked you to speak for everybody, speak for yourself. I know a lot of people in Port Harcourt and have friends there and none of them are rejoicing over militancy but find the insecurity quite irritating. Insecurity that has actually led to reduction in the little employment that was there in the first place.

Why do you ask me who I speak for? Are you from Niger Delta? Well, shut up then.

People in Port-Harcourt are scared of Soboma George, Tom Ateke, kidnappers etc. Nobody in PH is scared of MEND. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL!

Your friends told you they are scared of militants, not MEND! You are abviously too stupid to tell the difference. If we want to chase me all over Nairaland, go to the previous thread where we had this discussion and read my explanation on why MEND could not go after Odili.

You don't know how to differentiate between MEND and militants? People in PH are scared of getting kidnapped or shot at, not because some oil installation in faraway Opuruama got blown up. MEND do not take hostages and are not involved in kidnapping or election thuggery. The problem they had last year in PH was totally orchestrated by the PDP. Ateke was a PDP thug who turned against them so they hired Soboma George to go after him, causing chaos all over PH. This is all PDP work.

MEND is not even in PH.

Please read posts before raising the same old shit I have already dealt with weeks ago.

Now, abi you want to speak for Niger Delta?
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jul 29, 2008
these guys dey get pat on the back for sabbotaging the economy

when will our govt live up to their responsibility
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by SkyBlue1: 2:42pm On Jul 29, 2008
Ibime:

Why do you ask me who I speak for? Are you from Niger Delta? Well, shut up then.

People in Port-Harcourt are scared of Soboma George, Tom Ateke, kidnappers etc. Nobody in PH is scared of MEND. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL!

Your friends told you they are scared of militants, not MEND! You are abviously too stupid to tell the difference. If we want to chase me all over Nairaland, go to the previous thread where we had this discussion and read my explanation on why MEND could not go after Odili.

You don't know how to differentiate between MEND and militants? People in PH are scared of getting kidnapped or shot at, not because some oil installation in faraway Opuruama got blown up. MEND do not take hostages and are not involved in kidnapping or election thuggery. The problem they had last year in PH was totally orchestrated by the PDP. Ateke was a PDP thug who turned against them so they hired Soboma George to go after him, causing chaos all over PH. This is all PDP work.

MEND is not even in PH.

Please read posts before raising the same old shit I have already dealt with weeks ago.

Now, abi you want to speak for Niger Delta?

LOL, quite amusing. How do you know if i am or am not from the Niger Delta? Since when did you become a MEND spokes person that you can be sure of the legitimacy and "people friendly" initiatives of all their actions? When did you become voice of Niger Delta that you are sure they are not scared of MEND who i might add have taken responsibilities for for quite a long list of so called "freedom fighting" including phone interviews with newspapers by so called MEND spokesperson who, so what are you talking about? "Freedom fighters" who never made such an effort to go after past leaders that kept on stifling their development but want to take on the whole Nigeria, yes, very reasonable indeed, LOL.

According to you MEND operates outside port harcourt so it means that they are not affecting the lives of the people or the economy of the state when all the businesses are leaving due to insecurity hence further increasing unemployment and reduction in whatever economic activity there was in the first place? Everything bad is conveniently put down to the actions of militants while anything you deem worthy is also very conveniently acredited to MEND without aknowledging that MEND are actually part of the insecurity issue in the region? You so desperately want to assume you know where i am or am not from as a means to legitimise your arguement when in fact you hardly know anything if anything at all about me. Sorry but i have never entered a sparring and insult slinging match on Nairaland and today will not be the day where i break such a mould. Enjoy your day and stop trying to speak for everyone.  smiley
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by texazzpete(m): 3:16pm On Jul 29, 2008
@Ibime
The fact remains that MEND claims to be opposed to kidnapping and thuggery. yet what action have the self-acclaimed 'lord of the creeks' done to curb this ugly trend? Isn't it the people of the Niger Delta that are suffering every time an Ateke Tom goes on rampage?
You spend time carefully painting Ateke TOm as oneof the renegade groups of criminals. Do you forget that when the JTF moved to flush him out, MEND (as well as a gaggle of Ijaw elders) protested angrily in his defense. Why?

If the main objective of the MEND claims is to ensure that oil from the territory is used to develop the area, why is the money from bunkered oil not used to develop certain areas of the place?

And since MEND claim that Abuja men are the ones behind the bunkering, why have they failed to explain why an 'all powerful' millitant group cannot curb this 'criminal activity'. if they can blow up pipelines, why not confiscate the barges beloning to the so-called big men in Abuja?

I'll tell you why; they do not have clean hands.

If it can be argued that Bush has to bear some responsibility for the way the situation in Iraq has deteriorated, MEND has to bear some responsibility for its bastard children - the killers, kidnappers and thugs that roam through the streets and waterways of the Niger Delta region.

It may seem convenient to romanticise an praise these guys. But when all is said and done, you'll see the lasting damage. Eventually you'll see that these guys are not Robin hood.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by texazzpete(m): 3:20pm On Jul 29, 2008
Here's the strange fact

MEND claim to be acting in retaliation for the NNPC guy saying they paid a certain amount of funds to a millitant group. Also they claim to be acting to pressurize the federal government of Nigeria to accede to their demands.

So why are attacks seemingly targeted at one company, whereas the bulk of the revenue of the crude oil production goes through the NNPC, which happens to be a Nigerian company headed by a northerner?

There's more to this than meets the eye.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by Gonorrhea(m): 3:22pm On Jul 29, 2008
Awon boys don strike again?!
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by SkyBlue1: 3:23pm On Jul 29, 2008
What i find funny is the way MEND is continuously being painted as "the voice of the people" when the activities of such groups have given a lot of people the boldness to capitalise on the poor security and law enforcement in the region and hence you just have a big mess and orgy of kidnapping, violence, oil bunkering, etc, meanwhile the economic activity is declining in the state and people are losing jobs because companies are pulling out. How come the the Ogonis were able to get shell off their land without resulting to such violence and kidnapping? Did they have two heads or were they foolish for refusing to follow such a line of reasoning? Does this mean there are no grievances to be adressed in the Niger Delta? Of course most certainly not. There are issues but i fail to see how a group that is involved in oil bunkering which has caused explosions and claimed lives as well as caused a lot of oil spills hence adding further to the environmental degradation can be seen as "freedom fighters".
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by tpia: 3:30pm On Jul 29, 2008
the world is getting tired of all these conflicts all over Africa.

Everyday its one new conflict or the other, all over the place. After a while, the so called " militants" even forget their original reason for fighting, and just openly engage in pointless violence.

As one oyibo man said years ago: its so easy to start an armed conflict in Africa- just give people some weapons and they will start killing each other for whatever cause.

Very true, although the man may have been drunk when he said this.

I hope one day we can all wake up and take a good look at ourselves and really sit down to think. Europe and the US ended their own armed internal conflicts long ago, for the most part. Meanwhile, some Africans are proudly boasting of how much more damage they can do to their environment. As if even before, there was so much to boast about anyway.

and if Oyibo (or even Chinese) invades that place tomorrow, that conflict will end within the year, I assure you. When push comes to shove, oyibo no dey mince words and they no dey sentimental. Its only if they dont feel the need, that they allow things to go any which way. undecided

So the only means to negotiate this Niger Delta issue is through killing, kidnapping and destroying? Alright then. undecided  We need to pipe down with the constant drumming about how American/Western culture is 100% bad for kids, while Nigerian culture is 100% good.  Such narrowmindedness.
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by Ibime(m): 3:42pm On Jul 29, 2008
@ tpia. Unfortunately, the Nigerian Government only understands the language of violence. We pursued peaceful avenues for 40 years and look where it got us? If you think the Ogoni did not resort to violence, please go and read again. There were several deadly clashes between Ogoni and soldiers, Ogoni and Okrika (whom the government used to distract them), Ogoni even killed all their elders who wanted to negotiate with the Nigerian Government. Is that not why Saro-Wiwa was hung? Cos they accused him of killing those elders?

The only reason Ogoni issue did not spill over is cos they have a small population.

@ Texazzpete, MEND is not the police so don't ask me why they are not chasing kidnappers. They probably have less than three hundred men. I could tell you about a hostage they recovered for her husband . . . .but no need to waste my time. . . because that is not their job.

It is also not their job to develop the Niger-Delta. We have our philanthropists for that. Their job is to be the military voice of the struggle - to make small gra-gra for the Nigerian Government on behalf of us. Nobody in Niger-Delta is asking for development. Our gripe is for resource control aka fiscal federalism.

The only valid point you make is that MEND may have spawned some bastard sons who left them to chase money. There is no record of this, but it could be true. Unfortunately man is greedy by nature and that is beyond MEND's control. Which military organisation does not have bastard sons? Is it the Nigerian military?

@ SkyBlue, stop talking nonsense. You are not from any Niger-Delta. ow11 is from Niger-Delta. I know a Niger-Deltan when I see one. Maybe you lived there before, you visited or your friends live there or whatever. If you are, I suggest you educate yourself on the situation real quick and learn to seperate facts from generalities. All right-minded Niger Deltans want the militants killed or imprisoned. They all want the security situation to be stabilised and the kidnappers dealt with and Odili and the rest brought to justice.

But this issue of 'resource control' is a genuine goal of ours and MEND is the only militant group fighting toward that goal. Nigeria will want to tell you that those militants are not freedom fighters, they are all thieves - so that you do not adress the genuine concern of the people.

If you are informed about this situation, you will know that it is MEND policy not to take hostages, especially Nigerian hostages. No kidnapping, no electoral tuggery. These are policies of MEND. The only militancy MEND is involved with is the sabotaging of the Nigerian economy. The only point you could fault them is that they are oil bunkerers - not surprising, since they need guns and bombs. They have never terrorised the PH populace, nor any populace. Whenever they have shown up in any community, they have been sheltered and hidden away from the Nigerian forces. No other militant group has even ever attacked them. Go and ask Asari, Ateke and Soboma how many times they have fought amongst themselves. A Niger-Delta man does not ask me why MEND never dealt with Odili and such. I addressed this fully in the MEND thread. Odili was in control of the NDVF and Tom Ateke, and a 'freedom fighting' group like MEND has no business bogging itself down in internal conflic. Like I told you, their only aim is the sabotage of the Nigerian economy.

Lemme give you a pop quiz of common Nigerian newspaper headlines:

Kidnappers abduct three year old girl

MEND blows up pipeline in Kolokuma 

Militants raid government house, demand cash from Odili

Militants clash with government forces            (Hint: this is MEND)

Militants and cultist clash in PH: Governor declares state of emergency

Cultists kill 15, 7 wounded in clashes in Delta

MEND blows up control tower in Atlantic Ocean

MEND attacks pipeline in Ogba-Ebema LGA

Militants kidnap Commisioners wife

MEND claims responsibility for attack on oil installation in Degema

Militant groups clash in Port Harcourt over election balloting

Now, these are the usual headlines in Nigerian Press. So tell me: which one is freedom fighting and which one is profiteering?
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by Ibime(m): 3:58pm On Jul 29, 2008
Texazzpete, yes MEND supported Ateke by proxy in his war against Nigerian soldiers despite their differences. This is what happens in war.

That does not mean to say they support his actions. They supported their enemy against a greater enemy. Does Yankee have to support Sharia law just because they are allies with Saudi Arabia and Pakistan? Did they support the gassing of the Kurds just because they supported Saddam against Iran?

“Our call for unity amongst every fighting force in the Niger Delta against a common enemy makes it imperative that MEND take sides in spite of our differences with Ateke Tom and will support him with fighters and heavy weapons including anti- aircraft guns."
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by bystander: 4:29pm On Jul 29, 2008
Ibime

Are you out of your senses? Do you think a group 100-500 people can hold a whole nation ransome, because of their own greed? They are not fighting for me!

Ibime, can I ask you how many schools, roads and hospitals these outlawds built with the money the get from their kidnappings of oil workers? Are you one of those corrupt military people who supplies the madness with arms?
When you see madness-MEND in the TV with their guns and their palmtree ropes they look like bottles of gulda, while the poor niger delta population they claim to fight for look like mosquitos.

Each pipeline the blow up, each company the drive out of Nigeria is affecting the whole Nigerian population. To hell with Hausa, to hell with Igbos and to hell with the yorubas, we all are Nigerians.

If we can send batallions of peacekeepers to Sudan, if we can lead ECOMOG forces to stop wars in Sierra Leone and Liberia, I am asking myself what the military is waiting for. Did they run out of arms? Instead of paying the millions to this bunch of criminals, they'd rather equip themselves to crush on them before they grow wings more than themselves.

Ibime, stop being stupid, you are not speaking for all niger delta people, because I am one of them. Moreover I am a Nigerian. Anybody that disagrees with you, all what he gets is insult? I am suspecting you are one of those loosers,
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by Ibime(m): 5:05pm On Jul 29, 2008
Bystander, please keep bystanding . . . it is obvious you are a simpleton and cannot reason properly or sift out information well. . . . especially as you claim to be a Niger-Deltan, yet you do not know the difference between a freedom fighter and a greedy profiteer. . . . you must have been bystanding all this while cos your knowledge of current affairs is rather shaky. . . go and ask ow11 what it means to be a Niger-Deltan. . . even a Yorubaman like Davidlyan knows what cause we are fighting for. . . you read the news but your brain is too small to process information through all the talk of kidnappings, bunkering, militancy etc. . . . there is nothing like one Nigeria under unfairness and inequality . . . and that is all. . . .
Re: Mend Blows 2 Oil Pipelines : Breaking News! by texazzpete(m): 5:14pm On Jul 29, 2008
@Ibime
Nice answer. i'm willing to let their apathy to the Odili's of this world slide. But how about their strange preference to go after foreign Oil companies and leave the northern run NNPC alone?
it is pertinent to remember that the bulk of the oil revenue from sales goes to the NNPC, and the foreign oil coys pay huge taxes to the ND states.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai / QE3, The Time Bomb That Will Cause Massive Inflation And Make Nigeria Rich!!! / Nigeria Was First Registered As A Company Before It Became A Country.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.