Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,374 members, 7,808,308 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:10 AM

The Problem With Nigerian High Commissions Abroad - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Problem With Nigerian High Commissions Abroad (1117 Views)

Obama Reaches For A Security Chief With Nigerian Roots / Gaddafi And His People - What Was The Problem? / Middle-class Mother Who Fell In Love With Nigerian She Met On Web: Regrets! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problem With Nigerian High Commissions Abroad by Chinwem(f): 10:30pm On Dec 10, 2013
Please can someone explain to me the problem with Nigerian high commissions / embassies. What exactly is their problem??

Is it an extension of the problem with Nigeria?

I know that US citizens , UK citizens, Cuban citizens and indeed Ghanian citizens can walk into their respective embassies/ high commissions anywhere in the world and have their problems and issues addressed. They are made to feel they are in a home away from home. I fact, they don't even have to have a problem, they can just walk in for a cup of tea and a chat.

Have you ever gone to the US embassy and waited in line/waiting room with a US citizen before?
Have you ever seen a US citizen being denied entry into a US embassy?
Have you heard a US citizen standing at the entrance to home soil/ embassy reigning curses on/ weeping on account of greedy, corrupt, inconsiderate embassy staff because of money wasted , information withheld or lack of assistance in consular matters?

Why is basic human courtesy not applied to fellow Nigerian citizens by embassy staff?
Why are they so rude? Why are they not empathic to people in distress........be it a lost passport or a travel document for a new born baby? Why are they so corrupt?? Demanding bribe in the name of 'processing fee' at point of collection after you have already paid the required fee into the bank and gotten a receipt for that.
I repeat, why are they so corrupt?? Charging one fee to one person and another fee to the other based on a whim
I repeat, why are they so corrupt No receipt is given for this so called processing fee
Why are they so callous Keeping Nigerian citizens waiting in a room with Indians,Chinese and Pakistani nationals for over 60 minutes with no TV,no magazines no personnel to attend to queries...you would think this waiting room was a detention cell..........no special attention to citizens, no privacy when discussing individual matters, everybody in that room knows what your problem is by the time you are leaving

Why do they delight in taking bribes to do what they have been paid to do?
Why do they delight in seeing that their fellow Nigerian goes through as much stress and toil and worry and dehumanisation as possible.......even though they are in a situation to do something about it?
Why do they withhold information so that you go round on circles wasting as much time and money till you're sick to your stomach?
Re: The Problem With Nigerian High Commissions Abroad by mayoralex(m): 12:24pm On Dec 13, 2013
I really haven't had such experience.. First to comment grin *dancing Skelewu* grin
Re: The Problem With Nigerian High Commissions Abroad by alosiby92(f): 12:14am On Dec 29, 2013
Does 'life lessons learnt late'mean anything to you chinwem?
If not ignore the above...
Nigerian high commissions can be funny especially when it comes to getting new passports... In southern Africa I struggled over 3 times to get a renewal and the receptionist was always rude...and whenever there was a query she would say she is not abuja....it irritated me
Re: The Problem With Nigerian High Commissions Abroad by Nobody: 4:32am On Dec 30, 2013
are the embassy staff abroad Nigerians?
Re: The Problem With Nigerian High Commissions Abroad by AreaFada2: 8:38pm On Jan 05, 2014
souldust: are the embassy staff abroad Nigerians?

Of course they are Nigerians.

Let's face it, we're not very courteous people generally.

It is the same with civil servants in Nigeria.

Our customer service is nothing to write home about.

To make it worse we have no sense of nationhood/patriotism in us.

On top of that corruption and tribalism seal it up.

I prefer to send my passport by post for a visa than having anything physically to do with Naija embassy.

Since they treat foreign passport holders far better than Naija passport holders.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ukranian Politician Olga Lyulchak Proud After Her Nude Photos Is Leaked By Hacke / THAAD In Korean Peninsula:russia,china Concerned Over Possible US Missile System / Brexit: No Uefa Champions League For English Teams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.