Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,232 members, 7,780,444 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:27 PM

How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? (13308 Views)

Acquire Skills To Earn An Income - Build Your Own Jumia Or Konga - / Pls Stop Searching For Job And Acquire This Good Skill / 10 Ways To Be Great This Year 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by infinity001(m): 7:31am On Dec 11, 2013
Let's talk about SKILLS.

So often in this country we underestimate the importance of skills and it's so sad.
We give so much value to career which is sporadically becoming unhealthy to long time productivity and financial independence.

Many of us are satisfied with our education{what we read in school} and we don't care to go to the next step.

This next step is ACQUIRING SKILLS.

As a lawyer and motivational speaker/consultant, I find it absolutely imperative to procure relevant skills even outside of the domain of my profession and calling.

Do you want a long term level of personal productivity{effectiveness and efficiency}? Then it doesn't matter what you read in school, where you work presently or the business you run... You must FORTIFY yourself with SKILLS.

Listen, no man has ever become a billionaire with the salary from his boss.... Prove me wrong.

look around you, the Jimoh Ibrahim, Mike Adenuga, Aliko Dangote, Oba Otudeko, just to mention a few. Have you ever paused to ask yourself how they got elevated to where they are today? Yes I have. They went the extra mile, recognized their dominant gifts in them, and added excellence to what they do.

So many of us are multi-talented yet we wonder why we are not making it in life. We wonder why we are not going forward in our chosen career... I have the answer to that. We've refused to go the extra step.

I made a commitment at the start of the year to do everything necessary to grow as a legal practitioner, speaker, trainer and consultant. Growing is a choice and it takes diligence, character and efficiency to achieve maximum growth. Remember, progress is not you being better than others, it's you being better than your yesterday. Learning and Maximizing your skills gives you personal satisfaction which is a sign of progress.

Some of the major skills I acquired this year.
1. 85% proficiency in French. I realized that as a speaker who aspires to reach the whole world with my messages, I must take the time out of my busy schedule to learn new languages and cultures and I had to start with French. I can't describe how excited I am that I can speak and write in french fluently... A subject I so much detested in secondary school but I realized that it was absolutely relevant to my personal development. My fluency in French, opened uncommon doors for me to France for the first time. Next in line is Portuguese {2014}

2. Entrepreneurship
Even as a lawyer, I believe that entrepreneurship is one of the keys to financial independence. In as much as I speak on Entrepreneurship, I realized that I must also act it. The desire to acquire viable and formidable knowledge on entrepreneurship took me to conferences and Seminars where I paid a fortune to learn from worldclass guest speakers like Brian Tracy and Zig Ziglar. Remember, to learn or develop a skill, you must be ready to sacrifice your time, energy and resources. Today, I'm making far beyond what I paid to develop my entrepreneurial skill... On a daily basis.

3.Project Management Skills and Trainings - This opened doors for me to South Africa, Ghana and Kenya.

4. Information and Communication Technology {ICT} - Development of my programming and networking skills.

Let me stop here. Now let's talk about the skills you acquired this year...

Remember, There Is No Knowledge That Is Not Power.

12 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by krystal101(f): 7:53am On Dec 11, 2013
OP I need no 3 (how & where in lagos can I get enrolled for it?).
Hubby & started our biz this year
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by ObiOkpor(m): 8:46am On Dec 11, 2013
So far so good,this year i have gotten skills in tiling,fixing of p.o.p and p.v.c with teaching profession.In terms of French,mon ami Francais est tres sucre,j‘ amour il.

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by infinity001(m): 10:31am On Dec 11, 2013
krystal101: OP I need no 3 (how & where in lagos can I get enrolled for it?).
Hubby & started our biz this year

There are reputable project management firms in Lagos. I know of Strides Consults at Lekki and JK Michaels Project Management. These are one of the best in Lagos where you can get quality and viable PM training. Goodluck in your new business. Remember, business is not all about money, but all about people. Be open-minded to them, listen to their heartbeats, work on your communication and interpersonal skills, and your cashflow will never cease.

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by infinity001(m): 10:35am On Dec 11, 2013
Obi Okpor: So far so good,this year i have gotten skills in tiling,fixing of p.o.p and p.v.c with teaching profession.In terms of French,mon ami Francais est tres sucre,j‘ amour il.

That's very impressive. I know a political scientist { First class graduate} employed and earning a very fine salary. But this year he got a skill on borehole drilling and pipeline welding and he's enjoying his cashflow, it doesn't matter what you read in school. You must fortify your future.
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by thecia(f): 4:02pm On Dec 12, 2013
Its really sad no one is commenting on this thread...skills are extremely important in the Nigeria that we have found ourselves.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Dec 12, 2013

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Speakdatruth: 6:06pm On Dec 12, 2013
1st to comment
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by adexsimply(m): 6:06pm On Dec 12, 2013
cool cool cool
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Dec 12, 2013
Speakdatruth: 1st to comment

i forgive you for trying to lie...go sin no more

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Dec 12, 2013
Bull-shitting and fluffing. Seriously, its the most important. Just sounding confident in conversations is key. Even if you saying BS people will believe you! Saying things in a confident, convincing and passionate way is very important.

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by vislabraye(m): 6:13pm On Dec 12, 2013
infinity001:

That's very impressive. I know a political scientist { First class graduate} employed and earning a very fine salary. But this year he got a skill on borehole drilling and pipeline welding and he's enjoying his cashflow, it doesn't matter what you read in school. You must fortify your future.

Bore hole drilling ? Nice 1. Does he do consulting with this skills ? Wud luv 2 no more about it.
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by macdelene(m): 6:13pm On Dec 12, 2013
Speakdatruth: 1st to comment
for ur mindddd.... tongue
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by icon8: 6:14pm On Dec 12, 2013
Project Management skills and certification. I recently got PRINCE2 certified (Practitioner).
Leadership and Innovation (I further honed my skills in this aspect this year).
Family (stayed home with family more this year).

3 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by alienware(m): 6:18pm On Dec 12, 2013
I honed my driving skills, i have been trained for high speed maneuvres. I also got a fork lift license and a license for earth moving machines (escavator)

3 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by YoshiMaster: 6:18pm On Dec 12, 2013
Nashville: Bull-shitting and fluffing. Seriously, its the most important. Just sounding confident in conversations is key. Even if you saying BS people will believe you! Saying things in a confident, convincing and passionate way is very important.

Umm, I have to blow my whistle and wave by Bull-Shiiting Flag on this one, it's a foul.

Honestly I can't stand people that don't know but are bullshitting, and in a confident manner too, it irks me.

One time, this Ac Contractor was arguing with me over current, yanning some dust about starting current equals running current, and he just kept going.

I'd say be confident, but don't bullshit. You can confidently say "I don't know, but you bet I'm gonna know everything about this (whatever it is), if given the chance".

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Soso990240(m): 6:19pm On Dec 12, 2013
Thank God am now a web designer.dis is what i do for fone.still wan to learn graphics designing,wan to be able to photoshop,design banners myself..i still need help on dat.

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by wasak(m): 6:21pm On Dec 12, 2013
OK...I'm a student...
within this period of ASUU strike I was able to up my ICT skills... and now I have my own blog.
I'm also into writing, tho still an amateur I believe practice makes perfect.
OK...I was able to learn barbing as well...
currently learning French though I find it a Bit difficult since I'm constrained to applications on my phone.
before I forget I'm now a professional eater courtesy of ASUU, can't wait to participate in the next eating competition in my faculty!

5 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by costandi(m): 6:22pm On Dec 12, 2013

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by costandi(m): 6:22pm On Dec 12, 2013
Got a skill in web designing this year. Thanks to ASUU strike. smiley

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by kingarizona(m): 6:23pm On Dec 12, 2013
Hmmm.... I acquired just ONE

and its SEXSKILLS gringringrin
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by ArQueBusieR(m): 6:25pm On Dec 12, 2013
You'd be right to call me a polymath. I have too many skills already. Honing some of them is my priority right now.
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by debosky(m): 6:26pm On Dec 12, 2013
I started learning a few new things - swimming for example.

One valuable skill for next year I learned is how to pack for a trip without checked in luggage. grin

Seriously speaking though, attended a few training courses which provide basic knowledge - the key to developing these into skills is through practice. That element will be added next year.
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by manny4life(m): 6:27pm On Dec 12, 2013
Took some entrepreneurship courses (focus on real estate) - in the process of forming a REIT club (if interested, contact me).

Learned a great deal of marketing - worked on a campaign during the summer,

Worked on getting my Real Estate License

Currently working on obtaining my "series" license, unachievable this year but next year.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by zonax(m): 6:27pm On Dec 12, 2013
Programing, project management, public speaking, just few of the things I learnt this year. Next year will be better in Jesus name.[color=#990000][/color]

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Agbaka1: 6:28pm On Dec 12, 2013
Plumbing. still struggling to get it. 3 months old now

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Soso990240(m): 6:31pm On Dec 12, 2013
costandi: .
na ur skill be dis? U no learn am well nah..lol
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Dec 12, 2013
Well, I finally got both my Citrix CCA and Vmware VCP Certs this year...

I've been learning how to script as well and recently just signed up for a power shell course.

Next year, I hope to enroll for some VCAP training smiley

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Temismith(f): 6:35pm On Dec 12, 2013
Am coming lemme go and count dem.

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by SIRKOL(m): 6:35pm On Dec 12, 2013
Mennn I really need fluency in my communication skills! Come 2014, I will giv myself an assignment on dat cos normally I don't think of all these areas wen a new year begins, Thanx bro u just tot me sth
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
Seriously.......OP, don't u do summary in English Language? www.howonearthcanIreadallthose.com
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by gr3yb4ck(m): 6:38pm On Dec 12, 2013
Lnm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Meet Your Heroes And Get Them To Partner With You In Career / ICAN Registrations Exemptions Exam Fees And Other Matters Arising / Nigerian Photographer Receives Getty Images Creative Bursary Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.