Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,954 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? (8746 Views)

What The Earth Would Look Like If The Planets Were As Close As The Moon / Remains of an ancient dreadlocked woman Found On The Moon. / China To Build Power Station In The Moon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by plaetton: 8:17pm On Dec 15, 2013
China just successfully landed on the moon, and in few days a rover from it's lunar capsule will begin to explore the surface of the Moon. Just months ago, India, our former third world peer, launched a probe to Mars.

Does Nigeria, for long , Africa's most promising nation, need a space program?

Of course, many will say no, afterall rapture is at hand, we don't need to go there, we are going to be raptured, and blah blah blah.

But I say yes: Infact, as a matter of great urgency, we need a space program.

I will expand on my reasons later.

Meanwhile, let's hear opinions.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by slimthugchimee(m): 8:25pm On Dec 15, 2013
I have one opinion how the is this in religion mod change it ok back to the topic hmmm maybe we should but alot of nigerians will disagree to it
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by ooman(m): 8:26pm On Dec 15, 2013
Do Nigerians need common sense and do Nigerians need to start thinking about here and now and drop the bed time story of a god and paradise? Yes
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by plaetton: 8:30pm On Dec 15, 2013
slimthugchimee: I have one opinion how the is this in religion mod change it ok back to the topic hmmm maybe we should but alot of nigerians will disagree to it

The thread is rightly suited for the religious forum.
Space exploration ties in very well with our religion-obsessed mind.

I will elaborate further on that later.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Dec 15, 2013
Africans are starving, you talking space program.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 15, 2013
nutty_hnic: Africans are starving, you talking space program.

grin grin grin this dude is hilarious
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 15, 2013
Let us settle the basic problem of poverty first..,,
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by plaetton: 8:41pm On Dec 15, 2013

Good point.
But Africans have been starving for a very long time.
Should we wait till every African is belly full before we begin a space program?

And most importantly, do you not think that perhaps there might be causal link between our lack of scientific curiosity and our inability to feed ourselves despite all our natural endowments?
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by slimthugchimee(m): 8:59pm On Dec 15, 2013
dude howmany times do you live perday
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by slimthugchimee(m): 8:59pm On Dec 15, 2013
dude howmany times do you eat perday
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by plaetton: 9:09pm On Dec 15, 2013
Logicboy03: Let us settle the basic problem of poverty first..,,

Logicdude,
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.

Firstly, poverty has always been a moving target.

Secondly, the space faring nations like USA, Russia, China and the European Union did not solve their poverty problems before embarking on space exploration, neither did they consider the eradication of poverty as a pre-requisite.

Thirdly, our homegrown leaders have, over the many decades since independence , shown that they neither have the vision, the smarts, nor even the will to alleviate, let alone eradicate poverty.

A space program will attract, aggregate, spread and propagate the requisite Brain-Thrust needed to confront and mitigate most of Nigeria's and Africa's most pressing problems.

Just imagine how it could slowly but surely decimate magical thinking, and the chronic zombification and mumufication of the Nigerian populace.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Tsam96(m): 9:14pm On Dec 15, 2013
..Must africans live by bread alone?

1 Like

Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:19pm On Dec 15, 2013
Logicboy03: Let us settle the basic problem of poverty first..,,

Poor governance, greediness and selfishness got the problem wrapped there.

I believe we can if we determine to. Finance is not a prob.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by DKJaleel: 9:26pm On Dec 15, 2013
first, what is the current status of NigComSat1 and 2??
And what has been its effect so far??
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:27pm On Dec 15, 2013
Like a friend asked me after we had lot of discussions, 'now that you debunked me, what do you recommend?' That is a great question that does need a well-reasoned answer.

Thread like this sometime make me think that arguing with theist is irrelevant as it wont stop them from been irrational. Am not driving at space mission though but I think we sometime need to walk the talk. People are tend to be moved through paths than words.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:28pm On Dec 15, 2013
DK Jaleel: first, what is the current status of NigComSat1 and 2??
And what has been its effect so far??

and they were financed by the church or they were launched here?
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by DKJaleel: 9:37pm On Dec 15, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

and they were financed by the church or they were launched here?
lol..wetin concern me concern church?? I'm saying tho we have the capability to do so, that shouldn't be on the agenda for now..
That's what i think sha...
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by DKJaleel: 9:40pm On Dec 15, 2013
Plaetton should come up with his reasons first, then we can reason together...
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Dec 15, 2013
@ poster, Nigeria already has a space program. Nigeriasat X, built by Nigerian scientists, and the first satellite built by Africans, currently hovers in outer space, in addition to two other Nigerian satellites. There is a national space roadmap in place projecting the first Nigerian astronaut in space within the next decade or so.

.............[img]http://directory.eoportal.org/image/image_gallery?uuid=46e707bb-2553-43ce-94e8-dafda017de39&groupId=163813&t=1342599970323[/img]
Nigerian scientists working on Nigeriasat X

Nigeriasat X

1 Like

Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by plaetton: 9:46pm On Dec 15, 2013
ROSSIKE: @ poster, Nigeria already has a space program. Nigersat X, built by Nigerian scientists, and the first satellite built by Africans, currently hovers in outer space, in addition to two other Nigerian satellites.

Good.
Then We should have something like a NASA.
We should step up our game.

By the way, was the sattelite built in Nigeria and launched from Nigeria?
Last time I heard, we contracted a foriegn nation to build it and launch it.
Am i correct?
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 15, 2013
plaetton:

Good.
Then We should have something like a NASA.
We should step up our game.

By the way, was the sattelite built in Nigeria and launched from Nigeria?
Last time I heard, we contracted a foriegn nation to build it and launch it.
Am i correct?

The last one, Nigeriasat X was built entirely by Nigerian scientists but launched in Russia. The next Nigerian built satellite is expected to be launched in Abuja.

Our space research agency is NASRDA:

http://nasrda.gov.ng/en/portal/
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by plaetton: 10:20pm On Dec 15, 2013
ROSSIKE:

The last one, Nigeriasat X was built entirely by Nigerian scientists but launched in Russia. The next Nigerian built satellite is expected to be launched in Abuja.

Our space research agency is NASRDA:

http://nasrda.gov.ng/en/portal/

Wow. This is great.
This what I mean. This is kind of agency and this type of enterprise should occupy front page on our media as often as possible. Push politics and religion to the curb and showcase human ingenuity and possibilities.

Our national consciousness , especially of the young, needs to be fed and nurtured on the works of such an agency. It should be a source of national pride and a magnet for the cranially dexterous.

Anything, anything at all to increase our national IQ and neutralize the debilitating effects of magical thinking and religious bullshyts.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 15, 2013
plaetton no current at all

we are already in to space program now just not as advanced as the western nations. america in particular.
google NASDRA and NIGCOMSAT

the next nigerian communication satelite will be launched in nigeria.. i believe as time goes on, we will start exploring the moon and other planets as well
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 15, 2013
slimthugchimee: dude howmany times do you live perday

Seriously? M only concerned about the masses.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by plaetton: 10:36pm On Dec 15, 2013
9jadelta: plaetton no current at all

we are already in to space program now just not as advanced as the western nations. america in particular.
google NASDRA and NIGCOMSAT

the next nigerian communication satelite will be launched in nigeria.. i believe as time goes on, we will start exploring the moon and other planets as well

Communication sattelite is so 1960s.
But, a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by dorox(m): 10:59pm On Dec 15, 2013
Nigeria needs to develop its industrial base and rebuild basic infrastructure before talking of a viable space program. As a nation we struggle to generate enough electricity to meet 30% of our already very low demand, I don't think space should be our problem at this time.
The way I see it space is the product of a good industrial and scientific knowledge base, and not the other way around.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Ranchhoddas: 11:51pm On Dec 15, 2013
Cart before the horse...we should get our priorities right.we do not need a space program.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Dec 15, 2013
Ranchhoddas: Cart before the horse...we should get our priorities right.we do not need a space program.
Oh we do, you just don't know it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 4:56am On Dec 16, 2013
plaetton:

Logicdude,
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.

Firstly, poverty has always been a moving target.

Secondly, the space faring nations like USA, Russia, China and the European Union did not solve their poverty problems before embarking on space exploration, neither did they consider the eradication of poverty as a pre-requisite.

Thirdly, our homegrown leaders have, over the many decades since independence , shown that they neither have the vision, the smarts, nor even the will to alleviate, let alone eradicate poverty.

A space program will attract, aggregate, spread and propagate the requisite Brain-Thrust needed to confront and mitigate most of Nigeria's and Africa's most pressing problems.

Just imagine how it could slowly but surely decimate magical thinking, and the chronic zombification and mumufication of the Nigerian populace.

What the hell are you talking about?

I want a space program but you would be following the same path as the private Jet pastors- spending billions on something that brings little or no benefit to the average man...

Oh yes, and the average income of an American family at 1969 was about $9,000 which is $37,000 by today's inflation

1969 was the first moon landing.

Furthermore, poverty is quite relative. Living in America at the time was okay when they had their space exploration.

So guy, you are pointless
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by DeepSight(m): 5:30am On Dec 16, 2013
plaetton:

Anything, anything at all to increase our national IQ and neutralize the debilitating effects of magical thinking and religious bullshyts.

You are quite the one who is obsessed. You really need to get off it brother. Do you really think religion is responsible for poor 'national IQ'? Lol.

FYI the vast majority of scientific breakthroughs were, and are still being made by religious people. The very Big B.ang Theory, if I am not mistaken, was propounded by a catholic priest.

Please stop conflating religion with a lack of intellect. In all truth, I can safely say that the smartest people I personally know - maniacally brilliant even - are also deeply religious people, even though I do not agree with their creeds and doctrines.

The first step to heal your maniac anti religious obsession is for you to realize that there is nothing st.upid, in the perception that man sees himself as a spiritual being encapsulated in a physical body, delivered into an evidentially constructed world by an evidentially intelligent creator. This belief, whether you share it or not, is by no means a st.upid one, or reserved for people of low IQ.

As to your topic, I love the idea, but please and please, Nepa needs to be fixed first. Lest there is a blackout, and our astronauts fall out of the sky.... dont you think, o guru of science?
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 5:34am On Dec 16, 2013
Deep Sight:

You are quite the one who is obsessed. You really need to get off it brother. Do you really think religion is responsible for poor 'national IQ'? Lol.

FYI the vast majority of scientific breakthroughs were, and are still being made by religious people. The very Big B.ang Theory, if I am not mistaken, was propounded by a catholic priest.

Please stop conflating religion with a lack of intellect. In all truth, I can safely say that the smartest people I personally know - maniacally brilliant even - are also deeply religious people, even though I do not agree with their creeds and doctrines.

The first step to heal your maniac anti religious obsession is for you to realize that there is nothing st.upid, in the perception that man sees himself as a spiritual being encapsulated in a physical body, delivered into an evidentially constructed world by an evidentially intelligent creator. This belief, whether you share it or not, is by no means a st.upid one, or reserved for people of low IQ.

As to your topic, I love the idea, but please and please, Nepa needs to be fixed first.

I agree with your post to some extent

However, the bold is BULLSHITE......apart from that, you made a solid point

-priorities first- NEPA, Illiteracy and poverty tackled first before moon exploration

====================
By the way- religion is one of the massive contributors to low IQs and poverty
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by DeepSight(m): 5:42am On Dec 16, 2013

However, the bold is BULLSHITE......apart from that, you made a solid point

By the way- religion is one of the massive contributors to low IQs and poverty

------->

This belief, whether you share it or not, is by no means a st.upid one, or reserved for people of low IQ.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Scientists Will Create A Deadly New Flu Strain, Just To Prove They Can / Miniature 'human Brain' Grown In Lab / The World Will Not End In 2012 - NASA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.