Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:19 AM

China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? (8749 Views)

What The Earth Would Look Like If The Planets Were As Close As The Moon / Remains of an ancient dreadlocked woman Found On The Moon. / China To Build Power Station In The Moon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Ishilove: 11:58am On Dec 17, 2013
texanomaly: This is it right here. I'm so tired of Christians vs Atheist...Catholics vs Protestants... This tribe vs that tribe. Don't y'all ever just get tired. How can you live amid such contention?

Like seriously! I gave up on them a long time ago undecided
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 17, 2013
Ishilove:
This your love for me is turning into something else o. I don't know whether to be amused or creeped out... embarassed

You should be creeped out. But the fact that you are still thinking about it.......you want the D.......

On a serious note, it is fun to see u hyped whenever I mention ur name
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by dorox(m): 12:25pm On Dec 17, 2013
aManFromMars:

Morning, it is a desperate situation, I accept that. And this is present in every field. But poverty and hunger should not be an excuse not to finance a space program. We keep paying for ready-made solutions at the expense of training our people. Let's take risks, fail. And learn from our attempts.

I agree with you to an extent, poverty and hunger should not be an excuse to not make the necessary investment that would benefit a nation in the long term, but i don't think that investment should be a space program with the present state of the nation.
It is often said that one should always start with the low hanging fruit first, and it is only after you are done with the lower branches before you can start thinking of going after the fruits at the very top that even a monkey might have second thought on.
The point i am making is that the government should spend their time, money and effort on projects that will give the highest return on investment and also easily achievable. Take power for example, providing uniterupted power supply in Nigeria is an ivestment that is guaranteed to positively change the economic landscape of nigeria in far reaching ways than anyone can imagine including setting the stage for a future viable space program.
Why we have not made this investment is not because we lack the capital, nor is it because we are lacking of the knowledge to do it. Rather it is as a result of the deep structural problem of coruption and ineptitude of the government and citizens at large that views public projects as lottery tickets to riches.
Think about it, if the people responsible for NEPA/PHCN could brazenly embezzle the trillions of naira that has gone into power, a critical service that has direct impact on nearly everybody in the country without any fear or remorse, how well do you think the nigerian space agency that has little or no immedite impact on the people would fare? Me think it woud become special blackhole for siphoning money off the treasury.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 17, 2013
Wrong post.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by MrTroll(m): 2:39pm On Dec 17, 2013
@deepsight/deepardo, sorry i'm not interested at this moment in the direction our discussion is about to take. muskeeto, LB and Josh are having more fun. tongue

na dia my mind de now grin
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by plaetton: 4:02pm On Dec 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

Really? The only 2 qualities consistent with all gods is power and not easily seen.

"pre-existent" is a meaningless term when it comes to existence itself. Paradox/contradiction. For all the big words you say, your grasp of English is pitiful.

How can something pre-exist existence? A pre-existent cause of everything?

See how God is irrational?

Bravo!
This is an award winner.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by plaetton: 4:09pm On Dec 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

We can.

How many Nigerians actually study cosmology and astrophysics?

We hardly even have world class standard Nigerian pilots. Our airlines are even afraid to use local pilots

It is the environment.
Nigerian professionals are well know to excel far above others when they are abroad and rightly challanged.

Challenge is the key word here.
Nigerians at home are not being intellectually challenged , mainly due to the tens of thousands of bullshyt mountains( houses of religion) that capture and take their minds hostage from childhood.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by plaetton: 4:14pm On Dec 17, 2013
aManFromMars:

And he fails to see the problem comments like this create. I'm not going down this path with you. Enjoy.

Gandhi wasn't a Christian, btw. But OBJ and GEJ are.

In fact, all our past leaders, the corrupt and visionless lot have all been devout Christians or devout Muslims.

So much for god-fearing men, huh?
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Joshthefirst(m): 4:15pm On Dec 17, 2013
There must be a cause. Non-conscious randomness cannot reproduce directed and organized orderliness and consciousness of life we see in the universe.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Joshthefirst(m): 4:16pm On Dec 17, 2013
plaetton:

In fact, all our past leaders, the corrupt and visionless lot have all been devout Christians or devout Muslims.

do you not know the meaning of devout or hypocrisy?
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by vickyO(f): 4:19pm On Dec 17, 2013
Joshthefirst: There must be a cause. Non-conscious randomness cannot reproduce directed and organized orderliness and consciousness of life we see in the universe.

hmmmm
Thoughtful....
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by vickyO(f): 4:22pm On Dec 17, 2013
plaetton:

most of our leaders hide under the shadow of religion to do evil...
Most of them are traditionalists...
I was told for one to be a Local Government chairman, you must belong to at least two cult.
So I'm not fooled by their display...
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by plaetton: 4:23pm On Dec 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

Space programs run into billions. Use your brain.

Nigeria needs a centralised healthcare and housing system.
Nigeria also needs massive investment in infrastructure, education and transport.

These things already run into trillions.

Space exploration? There are more beneficial technologies to invest into. Solar energy, for example. We have longer hours of sunlight and electricity problems.

You and Plaetton need to get off that sci-fi crap

You guys just don't get.
A space program would not take away from any of the above.

In fact, a space program, a genuine one, would have a spill over effect into infractructural developments, health, education , etc.

The space program is not just about going to space to take fancy pictures. It is about development of the human potential.
It i s about galvanizing human intellect and imagination.
It is about a can-do attitude.
If India, with nearly a billion poor, if the Islamic Republic of Iran, isolated for decades and with crumbling ifrastructures can send probes , and send a monkey into space, why do you think they are doing it, just for pride?.
No.
They understand that it is a worthwhile investment in human potential that has infinite potentials, an infinite harvests.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by plaetton: 4:27pm On Dec 17, 2013
Joshthefirst: do you not know the meaning of devout or hypocrisy?

Always a copout.

When a Christian is caught with his hands in the cookie jar, you christians are quick to label him a hypocrite or say that he is not a true christian.

I have never seen a good christian in Nigeria.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Dec 17, 2013
Joshthefirst: There must be a cause. Non-conscious randomness cannot reproduce directed and organized orderliness and consciousness of life we see in the universe.

There can be a cause but then it would be subject to another cause since it can't cause itself.....

Time is paradoxical. Your God would have to be a paradox if you want to assert him as the first cause
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Dec 17, 2013
plaetton:

Always a copout.

When a Christian is caught with his hands in the cookie jar, you christians are quick to label him a hypocrite or say that he is not a true christian.

THE TRUE CHRISTIAN IS A MIRAGE. A standard that one can never truly attain, no matter how great their effort.

1 Like

Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by vickyO(f): 4:38pm On Dec 17, 2013
aManFromMars:

THE TRUE CHRISTIAN IS A MIRAGE. A standard that one can never truly attain, no matter how great their effort.
Its attainable...
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Joshthefirst(m): 4:39pm On Dec 17, 2013
plaetton:

Always a copout.

aManFromMars:

someone who has repented from sins does not make a practice of sinning. There's no such thing as a "good" christian.

Making this kind of statements show that you do not even know what christianity is, or what it entails. Mtchew.

Logicboy03:

There can be a cause but then it would be subject to another cause since it can't cause itself.....

Time is paradoxical. Your God would have to be a paradox if you want to assert him as the first cause
God is not bound by space time. God is uncaused, self-existent, conscious, direct, all-powerful, all-knowing, ever-present. He described himself as the "I AM"
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Dec 17, 2013
plaetton:

You guys just don't get.
A space program would not take away from any of the above.

In fact, a space program, a genuine one, would have a spill over effect into infractructural developments, health, education , etc.

The space program is not just about going to space to take fancy pictures. It is about development of the human potential.
It i s about galvanizing human intellect and imagination.
It is about a can-do attitude.
If India, with nearly a billion poor, if the Islamic Republic of Iran, isolated for decades and with crumbling ifrastructures can send probes , and send a monkey into space, why do you think they are doing it, just for pride?.
No.
They understand that it is a worthwhile investment in human potential that has infinite potentials, an infinite harvests.

How has the space program in india and iran added to their economy apart from employing less than a thousand people.....many of which will have only temporary jobs dependent on budget allocation from govt to space programs?

Investing in solar energy would create opportunity for many physics majors to open their own solar companies that will provide electricity solutions for those who are fed up with PHCN and their epileptic supply. The solar industry in nigeria can liase with germany, japan, usa and china- these are countries at the forefront of solar technology. PHCN will sit up as they will make losses if they don't supply electricity well to nigerians.

See how many tangible bbenefits come from a solid investment? Your space dream is nothing but theoretical fantasy

1 Like

Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Dec 17, 2013
Furthermore, solar energy is clean energy.

The more the govt invests in it, the less we use generators. Cleaner air for nigerians.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Dec 17, 2013
Joshthefirst: someone who has repented from sins does not make a practice of sinning. There's no such thing as a "good" christian.

Making this kind of statements show that you do not even know what christianity is, or what it entails. Mtchew.

God is not bound by space time. God is uncaused, self-existent, conscious, direct, all-powerful, all-knowing, ever-present. He described himself as the "I AM"

God is not subject to time but describes himself with time. "I am".......

2 Likes

Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Joshthefirst(m): 4:48pm On Dec 17, 2013
A space program has benefits yes, but I agree with lb. It is not a pressing need for us now in nigeria.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Joshthefirst(m): 4:51pm On Dec 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

God is not subject to time but describes himself with time. "I am".......
he describes himself as ever-present.

I believe "I AM" is one of the greatest definitions of God's reality ever put forth by himself.

God IS. He's present in past and future. And in eternity.

Don't think I'm giving him my attributes, it's there in the bible.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Dec 17, 2013
Joshthefirst: he describes himself as ever-present.

I believe "I AM" is one of the greatest definitions of God's reality ever put forth by himself.

God IS. He's present in past and future. And in eternity.

Don't think I'm giving him my attributes, it's there in the bible.

Eternity is a paradox. Doesnr apply to living things.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 17, 2013
A Christian can not commit sin - The greatest self-deceit ever.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Ishilove: 5:07pm On Dec 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

You should be creeped out. But the fact that you are still thinking about it.......you want the D.......

On a serious note, it is fun to see u hyped whenever I mention ur name
I want the wetin? The 'd'?? Oya complete am nau make I e-slap your mouth angry

I am hyped? Smh. You are quite a piece of work. And I mean it in a very negative way.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Joshthefirst(m): 5:31pm On Dec 17, 2013
aManFromMars: A Christian can not commit sin - The greatest self-deceit ever.

who told you a christian cannot commit sin?
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by plaetton: 6:01pm On Dec 17, 2013
Joshthefirst: someone who has repented from sins does not make a practice of sinning. There's no such thing as a "good" christian.

So isSanta Clause. Is Santa Clause God? Hmmm.
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Dec 17, 2013
Ishilove:
I want the wetin? The 'd'?? Oya complete am nau make I e-slap your mouth angry

I am hyped? Smh. You are quite a piece of work. And I mean it in a very negative way.

Lol.....a piece of work....
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by texanomaly(f): 10:03pm On Dec 17, 2013
aManFromMars:

More truth than lie, but it doesn't mean one should stop trying to do their best.

1 Like

Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by MrTroll(m): 9:59am On Dec 18, 2013
texanomaly:

More truth than lie, but it doesn't mean one should stop trying to do their best.
if I say I love you now, will it be weird?

@topic, my own is corruption first, then education.

Space program no be now. I'm doing my own bit to brighten my own corner. My objective is education the minds of the upcoming generation, i've given up on any adult above 40 in Nigeria. Etc
Re: China Land's On The Moon. Does Nigeria Need Need A Space Program? by DeepSight(m): 9:59am On Dec 18, 2013
Joshthefirst:

plaetton:

So isSanta Clause. Is Santa Clause God? Hmmm.

@ Plaetton -

Well no sir, as far as we all know, Santa Claus is rather defined as with gifts down chimneys, a reindeer carriage, his red caps and overcoats, and the like.

Santa Claus, also known as Saint Nicholas, Father Christmas, Kris Kringle and simply "Santa", is a mythical figure with legendary, historical and folkloric origins who, in many Western cultures, is said to bring gifts to the homes of the good children on December 24, the night before Christmas. However, in some European countries children receive their presents on St. Nicholas' Day, December 6.[1] The modern figure of Santa Claus is derived from the Dutch figure of Sinterklaas, which, in turn, has part of its basis in hagiographical tales concerning the historical figure of Christian bishop and gift-giver Saint Nicholas. During the Christianization of Germanic Europe, this figure may have absorbed elements of the god Odin, who was associated with the Germanic pagan midwinter event of Yule and led the Wild Hunt, a ghostly procession through the sky. Over time, traits of this character and the British folklore character Father Christmas merged to form the modern Santa Claus known today.

Obviously I have not posted the extract above because you do not know it, you clearly do, and so does anyone else.

I have posted it simply wondering why when attributes such as self-existence, omnipotence and omniscience are mentioned by a Christian describing God, you would respond by saying that Santa Claus also has these properties. This shows one of four things: (1) you are cracking a joke (in which case you should not be taken seriously), or (2)you are trying to mock (in which case you should not be taken seriously) or (3)you genuinely believe that the ontology of Santa Claus is similar to the ontology of God as either is defined (in which case you should be pitied), or (4) you are trying to say that any attribute can be attributed to a mythical character (in which case you both avoid the fundamental question of existence and non-existence, as well as the fact that both "mythical" characters are well defined with specific "mythical" attributes. Just as surely as the "mythical Sango" is very well delineated from the "mythical Yemanja".)

The lesson of all my trouble on such a simple line from you is to request you to be serious when having existential discussions. Existentialism is a serious and grave area, and when discussed, should not be approached with light mocking jibes such as Santa Claus, or worse, FSM, Meatballs (as I saw you say in another thread) and such other empty and useless mockery - which actually serves to mock the mocker himself more than anything else.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Scientists Will Create A Deadly New Flu Strain, Just To Prove They Can / Miniature 'human Brain' Grown In Lab / The World Will Not End In 2012 - NASA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.