Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,862 members, 7,806,436 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:34 PM

10 Superb Ways To Impress Your Mother-in-law - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10 Superb Ways To Impress Your Mother-in-law (1270 Views)

Twelve Ways To Impress Your In-laws / Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? / HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW TROUBLING YOUR MARRIAGE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Superb Ways To Impress Your Mother-in-law by Youngsage: 11:52am On Dec 16, 2013
You can do a lot to stop your mother-in-
law from turning into monster-in-law.
Here are some simple steps that can help
you develop a great rapport with her.

1. Do your homework : Ask your husband for the issues that she may be touchy
about. You may not know about
family feuds and other such issues, so
don’t give your opinion before you know
all the details. Also, get to know what she
likes. If she loves serials then
try and talk to her about it. It may be the
ice-breaker that may lead to a great
relationship with her.
2. Bring gifts : Won’t you love it if a guests comes to your house with a gift in his/her hand. Similarly, you mother-in-law will appreciate your love for her a great deal more if you take some gifts for her every now and then.
3. Dress well : If you are out to impress, don’t go dressed in clothes that are not ironed and hair that’s not brushed
properly. And skimpy clothes are a strict
no-no. Similarly, it would do you good to
not reveal the tattoo on your spine
during your first meeting.
4. Don’t compete with her : Accept the fact that a mother is bound to be possessive about her son. So, don’t try and tell her
how to cook for him. Even if your
husband prefers your cooking to hers,
don’t point it out to her. Give her
compliments about her culinary skills and
even take recipes from her. A little
flattery doesn’t hurt, does it?
5. Be polite : If you can’t be overtly nice, then at least be polite. Don’t overrule
what she has to say. Also, don’t get into
an argument or debate with her during
your first meeting.
6. Call her often : To make sure that you communicate well with your mother-in-law call her at frequent intervals. Don’t wait
for her to call you. She will appreciate the
fact that you keep in touch over the
phone even when you can’t be around.
7. Seek advice : Regardless of whether or not you plan to take it, take their advice.
Your spouse’s parents will be glad to feel
that they still have some influence on
their child’s life.
8. Present a united front : Even if you have certain issues with your mother-in-law,
don’t wash the dirty linen in public. When
you are attending a family event make
sure that you don’t pass snide remarks or
discuss you differences in public.
9. Treat your spouse well in front of
them :
Parents are obviously very
possessive about their kids, and the best
way to earn their respect is to treat their
child well.
10. Relax : The most important thing is to not
get too nervous, your mother-in-law is
bound to be as nervous about meeting
you. Secondly, learn to forgive and forget.
This simple rule will make your life a lot
easier.
culled from - http://thetrentonline.com/be-polite-10-superb-ways-to-impress-your-mum-in-law/
Re: 10 Superb Ways To Impress Your Mother-in-law by kweenbee(f): 12:52pm On Dec 16, 2013
Nice one,this really came in handy thanks.

1 Like

Re: 10 Superb Ways To Impress Your Mother-in-law by ifyalways(f): 2:02pm On Dec 16, 2013
Be yourself. I never tried to impress my MIL and believe me,we had lots of differences ie cultural,religious bla bla. She saw me,real and undiluted. I wouldnt want no girl my boys bring home try to impress me. I prefer they show me their real rainbow colours so i know what to expect.

Rule no 1: You cannot impress everybody
No 2: You start anything with the mind of impressing anyone,then be ready to go all the way,living your life to impress others a.k.a Fake life.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Superb Ways To Impress Your Mother-in-law by Nobody: 3:25pm On Dec 16, 2013
Ify nailed it!
There's only one rule: BE YOURSELF!!!
Re: 10 Superb Ways To Impress Your Mother-in-law by Nobody: 4:17pm On Dec 16, 2013
Hmmmm
Re: 10 Superb Ways To Impress Your Mother-in-law by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 16, 2013
Be yourself!!
Re: 10 Superb Ways To Impress Your Mother-in-law by Nobody: 4:35pm On Dec 16, 2013

1 Like

Re: 10 Superb Ways To Impress Your Mother-in-law by Olugbenger(m): 4:59pm On Dec 16, 2013
ifyalways: Be yourself. I never tried to impress my MIL and believe me,we had lots of differences ie cultural,religious bla bla. She saw me,real and undiluted. I wouldnt want no girl my boys bring home try to impress me. I prefer they show me their real rainbow colours so i know what to expect.

No 2: You start anything with the mind of impressing anyone,then be ready to go all the way,living your life to impress others a.k.a Fake life.

I feel this is right but i can't understand why i still find it difficult to believe.
smiley
Re: 10 Superb Ways To Impress Your Mother-in-law by Missmossy(f): 7:09pm On Dec 16, 2013
Nice one!

1 Like

Re: 10 Superb Ways To Impress Your Mother-in-law by Youngsage: 2:30pm On Dec 20, 2013
ifyalways: Be yourself. I never tried to impress my MIL and believe me,we had lots of differences ie cultural,religious bla bla. She saw me,real and undiluted. I wouldnt want no girl my boys bring home try to impress me. I prefer they show me their real rainbow colours so i know what to expect.

true! thanks 4 your input...
Re: 10 Superb Ways To Impress Your Mother-in-law by Youngsage: 2:32pm On Dec 20, 2013
kweenbee: Nice one,this really came in handy thanks.
You're welcome smiley
Re: 10 Superb Ways To Impress Your Mother-in-law by Youngsage: 2:34pm On Dec 20, 2013
martha: Hmmmm
Hmmmm what? You ehn martha you're always hmmming lol

(1) (Reply)

A Promise To My Future Wife. / What Was The Last Nice Thing Your Dad Did For Your Mum? / Uche Jumbo Shuts Down Rumours, Shows Off Her Baby Bump!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.