Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,763 members, 7,802,334 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

What To Do About Short Stories...... - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What To Do About Short Stories...... (2380 Views)

E. Fantasy(short Stories) / My Short Stories / Looking For Authors And Publishers With Short Stories And Books For New Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do About Short Stories...... by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 1:22pm On Dec 17, 2013
I don't know exactly how to put it now, but it seems like the Nairaland literture main board is going down one very narrow path. No, don't get me wrong, it is not necesarilly a negative path. It's just one that is too lineated to allow robust development of different types of writing. This path is series writing.

I complained to one of the mods earleir while nominations and voting for the board awards were on (I think that was last month or two months ago) when I noticed that a huge majority of the nominated stories were series and the nominated writers were writers of series. Now one would think it just means that the series writers are better but that is wrong. It's just that the Nairaland system favors writing series than single short stories.

Here's how it is; now, a new post on Nairaland automatically appears at the top of the pile, directly below stickied threads. Now as new threads are created and old threads are updated, said post starts going down the board if it remains without an update in the form of a comment/post. Which, in most cases, is the fate of single short stories, till they disappear from the board's front page altogether into second page obscurity. Series on the other hand get to have updates, if not by comments from other board members, then by updates from the poster/writer. A cursory look the Nairaland literature board front page shows and overwhelming majority of series jostling for space with those as short as three pages long to those with multiple of tens of pages long all vying for the top spot, pushing the more modest single posts and request/info posts to the periphery at the bottom of the page:

Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 1:31pm On Dec 17, 2013
It is so unfair! This discourages those who want to write single short stories and be done with it or just trying their hands at writing short pieces for the very first time from posting. Especially when you post a story you think you're done with and someone asks for updates. I must confess, it has affected me greatly as I've noticed that it's one of the main reasons i've been posting less here and a bit more over at NaijaStories under a different moniker. I think every kind of writing here on this board should have an equal opportunity at exposure. Someone could write an exceptionally brilliant short piece but it goes into really quick obscurity just because someone else split what should ordinarily be one post into fifteen. Even when I started two series here (which I have not updated since forever because, quite frankly, I don't have the consistency for series writing), I made sure that before I post an update, it has to have some content, not that I make each paragraph a seperate post - it feels like i would be cheating someone else.

The essence of this post is to throw the question open to the general board because between Myn44 and myself, we weren't able to come up with any workable solution. The admin (Seun) would not create a different sub-board for short stories and the like and stickying short stories to give them some sort of competitive advantage would require mods reading through each post to ensure it is quality enough to be stickied which is stressful for the mods and quite unfair on other writers who won't get the chance to have their posts stickied as well.

I really would like for a solution to be found to this problem ASAP. Thanks for every contribution in advance.

And sorry for the epistle! smiley

1 Like

Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by trixandra(f): 1:40pm On Dec 17, 2013
Nice
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by princesa(f): 3:41pm On Dec 17, 2013
Its survival of the fittest i tell you. Short stories don't just have a 'competitive edge' on the literature board, and that's the truth.

Even if a child board is created for it, people would hardly go there. Imho.
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by KingzPen(m): 8:08pm On Dec 17, 2013
If I were in your shoes, I would create a thread, name it 'My Short Stories.' Then, I post any short story I have subsequently on the thread to give it the kind of attention I want.

This is possible if and only if you really mean to keep writing short stories because you cannot just post a short story today and after one month post another, this wouldn't improve one as a writer and also wouldn't achieve the aim of creating the thread.

My little advice, create a thread then inject all your short stories there anytime anyday you want...

4 Likes

Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by adebayo201: 11:50pm On Dec 17, 2013
KingzPen: If I were in your shoes, I would create a thread, name it 'My Short Stories.' Then, I post any short story I have subsequently on the thread to give it the kind of attention I want.

This is possible if and only if you really mean to keep writing short stories because you cannot just post a short story today and after one month post another, this wouldn't improve one as a writer and also wouldn't achieve the aim of creating the thread.

My little advice, create a thread then inject all your short stories there anytime anyday you want...
Huh! God bless u!
shocked
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by stefikal(f): 7:53am On Dec 18, 2013
Well said

KingzPen: If I were in your shoes, I would create a thread, name it 'My Short Stories.' Then, I post any short story I have subsequently on the thread to give it the kind of attention I want.

Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by noble4d(m): 3:00pm On Dec 18, 2013
Honestly,short story writers should also be motivated.
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 3:38pm On Dec 18, 2013

Good points, but what about those that hope for their stories to make front page? I mean, i've not seen one post make front page twice so what happens if you have, say, two stories on your short stories thread that are front page worthy since they are, technically, the same thread? Besides, when trying to reference a previous story, it would be much easier to post a link to a different thread entirely where readers can find the story and it can be fully discussed in its won right instead of having one thread discussing say, four or five different stories which would be rather confusing. Al;so, you can never underestimate the power of a title. A new visitor to the board would be less inclined to visit a thread title "My Shorts Stories" as against an actual story title which should appear if each story has a thread.

(I seriously wonder why everyone is acting like this is not an actual issue. Before this whole series writing became a thing, wasn't it just short stories nearly everybody was writing?)

2 Likes

Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 3:47pm On Dec 18, 2013
noble4d: Honestly,short story writers should also be motivated.

How can a short story writer be motivated when you know that your thread will disappear into second page obscurity within hours if not minutes? Go over to Naijastories and compare the number of short stories going there with the number of series. You have a pretty balanced number, unlike here in Nairaland that it's overwhelmingly skewed in favour of series writers. It is absolutely discouraging and i'm sure it also accounts for quite a number of the short story writers who just couldn't bear to see their stories die rather quick deaths deciding to write series. I won't compromise on mine. I would rather my stories die the quick death but not without a fight.
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by KingzPen(m): 4:46pm On Dec 18, 2013
I understand your point of view but my question is will you keep creating a thread for every short story?

At a point, you will have close to or more than 20 short stories which probably you won't remember some as time goes, so what happens in that case.

Series writers, in my view are short story writers too just that they elaborate more on what should have ended way back.

I know am a writer, short or series... Writer na Writer, so don't segment it.
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

Good points, but what about those that hope for their stories to make front page? I mean, i've not seen one post make front page twice so what happens if you have, say, two stories on your short stories thread that are front page worthy since they are, technically, the same thread? Besides, when trying to reference a previous story, it would be much easier to post a link to a different thread entirely where readers can find the story and it can be fully discussed in its won right instead of having one thread discussing say, four or five different stories which would be rather confusing. Al;so, you can never underestimate the power of a title. A new visitor to the board would be less inclined to visit a thread title "My Shorts Stories" as against an actual story title which should appear if each story has a thread.

(I seriously wonder why everyone is acting like this is not an actual issue. Before this whole series writing became a thing, wasn't it just short stories nearly everybody was writing?)
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by firestar(f): 5:22pm On Dec 18, 2013
What about drabbles?
An example being this 100-worded one-shots:
www.nairaland.com/124696/write-own-very-own-drabble
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by Mynd44: 6:32pm On Dec 18, 2013
Watching
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by Clemzy16(m): 7:53am On Dec 19, 2013
Mynd_44: Watching
Always watching
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by noble4d(m): 4:25pm On Dec 19, 2013
maybe a thread should be created for all short story writers
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by MaziOmenuko: 7:18pm On Dec 19, 2013
A sub-board will be the ultimate solution...that is if the admin believes this is an issue that needs attention.

....Or...

The poetry sub-section can be renamed poetry/short-story board.
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by Mynd44: 7:24pm On Dec 19, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: A sub-board will be the ultimate solution...that is if the admin believes this is an issue that needs attention.

....Or...

The poetry sub-section can be renamed poetry/short-story board.
Both are not available
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by princesa(f): 10:59am On Dec 20, 2013
Well it might bring people into that dying area once in a while...

Too bad.

Just Can't fix a circle into a square hole. Wont fit.
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by MumZ(f): 10:58pm On Dec 20, 2013
Why can't Short Stories section b created jst like we av d literature, food and oda sections. Its only Seun dat can gve d go ahead sha, cos d mods here won't do nada. I knw d op has complained bout dis a lot of times nd I agree wit him. Short story writers dnt av a chance here.
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by LarrySun(m): 12:54am On Dec 21, 2013
Short or long, stories are stories. One truth still remains, however, that many are called in literature and many more show up. In the process, these literary revolts feed readers the same old sh!t and call it sugar.

In my opinion though, these supposed 'Short Stories' that gather up pages like the regular British phonebooks have turned into regular chat rooms, and the few porous paragraphs scribbled are but oil in the fire of preposterous dialogue. Writing has become such a sagging hobby that even grammatic juveniles grab their own pens, with shallow intention of mesmerising innocent readers with puerile plottings and jejune characterizations.

Now, great works of writers of breeding like Ishilove, Omolola, Frank, Red Moss, the OP, Frosti, HBG, Oahray, Mazi, Sigmund, Efemena, Flow, Mynd and a gaggle of other splendid Nairalanders that I've come to respect are tethering hereforthwith on the shelf of oblivion. And these writers should daily be celebrated, but some of their classics are ranked not less than Nigeria in the FIFA table. Now, when even giants are toppled in the ludus of literature, what hope is there for the midgets?

I'd bet a lung that these recent sprouts rarely make research before flaunting those tired metaphors. Of course, I've known but a few of the new writers who are raw talents. These few geniuses only need little groomings, just slight brush of the dust on their jackets and they turn graceful swans.

Forgive me if I've derailed unnecessarily. The budding ire cannot just be curbed. I beg your forgiveness, Senb.

If I were in your suit, Senb (which, of course, I am), I'd follow Kingzpen's advice. He smacked the nails on Jesus's palms.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by Seun(m): 8:47am On Dec 21, 2013
Long stories and serials simply deliver more enjoyment to Nairaland members. Short stories simply need to be much better written to compete.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by slap1(m): 9:03am On Dec 21, 2013

Good point, but I have a question: What would the Literature section look like if we have, say, twenty ''My Short Stories'' threads on the first page?
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by KingzPen(m): 9:14am On Dec 21, 2013
That's where your creativity comes to play... I just gave that as an example...

You can give it a very captivating title which will trigger any story lover to open... After that is achieved then you blow their mind with your short stories...

You can also point it out to them that you write short stories...

With that, you would be known for that 'brand'...
slap1: Good point, but I have a question: What would the Literature section look like if we have, say, twenty ''My Short Stories'' threads on the first page?
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by slap1(m): 9:25am On Dec 21, 2013
princesa: Its survival of the fittest i tell you. Short stories don't just have a 'competitive edge' on the literature board, and that's the truth.

Even if a child board is created for it, people would hardly go there. Imho.
On the contrary, Princesa, I think people will visit it. My first short story on nairaland, THE FORGOTTEN PEOPLE, made it to the front page. I have other short stories, but the thought of seeing 'my baby' slip into 2nd/3rd page oblivion is, well, discouraging. So I'd rather work on them with a view to publish ASAP.

Now, I have started a series that I'm yet to post on nairaland. Frankly, I feel like I've been forced to do it. A child board won't be such a bad idea. Afterall, short story is a sub-genre of literature.
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by slap1(m): 9:26am On Dec 21, 2013
KingzPen: That's where your creativity comes to play... I just gave that as an example...

You can give it a very captivating title which will trigger any story lover to open... After that is achieved then you blow their mind with your short stories...

You can also point it out to them that you write short stories...

With that, you would be known for that 'brand'...
Now, I see your point. Makes sense.
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by slap1(m): 9:51am On Dec 21, 2013
Seun: Long stories and serials simply deliver more enjoyment to Nairaland members. Short stories simply need to be much better written to compete.
The ''enjoyment'' of serials is majorly inherent, and not because they are better written.

Serials, by default, gives the writer enough 'play room'. Short story, on the other hand, is more compact and direct. There is little room for plot/character diversification and every word counts. Excuse this example, but a short story is like a quickie, while a serial is like an all-night love-making. Clearly, more people would prefer the all-night affair, because the pleasure is lasting; and not so much because of the doer of the action. However, some quickies leave better memories, so do some short stories have more substance than some 'nollywoodified' serials.

1 Like

Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by trixandra(f): 10:28am On Dec 21, 2013
slap1: The ''enjoyment'' of serials is majorly inherent, and not because they are better written.

Serials, by default, gives the writer enough 'play room'. Short story, on the other hand, is more compact and direct. There is little room for plot/character diversification and every word counts. Excuse this example, but a short story is like a quickie, while a serial is like an all-night love-making. Clearly, more people would prefer the all-night affair, because the pleasure is lasting; and not so much because of the doer of the action. However, some quickies leave better memories, so do some short stories have more substance than some 'nollywoodified' serials.
A serial is just like a published novel. The only difference is that the readers of a serial get to interact with the writer and story as it progresses. Most of the serial writers write as hobby or because they don't really have the money to publish but they feel the need to share their stories with people. In my humble opinion, I think short stories are good features in magazines and newspapers because the readers of such prefer to read a story once and be done with it.
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by slap1(m): 11:09am On Dec 21, 2013
...because the readers of such
prefer to read a story once and be done
with it.
Yes. Which is why the enjoyment is usually short-lived. Personally, I prefer short stories because, like Zakura said, I don't really have the consistency (time) for serials.
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by EfemenaXY: 10:39pm On Dec 21, 2013
Larry-Sun:
Short or long, stories are stories. One truth still remains, however, that many are called in literature and many more show up. In the process, these literary revolts feed readers the same old sh!t and call it sugar.

In my opinion though, these supposed 'Short Stories' that gather up pages like the regular British phonebooks have turned into regular chat rooms, and the few porous paragraphs scribbled are but oil in the fire of preposterous dialogue. Writing has become such a sagging hobby that even grammatic juveniles grab their own pens, with shallow intention of mesmerising innocent readers with puerile plottings and jejune characterizations.

Now, great works of writers of breeding like Ishilove, Omolola, Frank, Red Moss, the OP, Frosti, HBG, Oahray, Mazi, Sigmund, Efemena, Flow, Mynd and a gaggle of other splendid Nairalanders that I've come to respect are tethering hereforthwith on the shelf of oblivion. And these writers should daily be celebrated, but some of their classics are ranked not less than Nigeria in the FIFA table. Now, when even giants are toppled in the ludus of literature, what hope is there for the midgets?

I'd bet a lung that these recent sprouts rarely make research before flaunting those tired metaphors. Of course, I've known but a few of the new writers who are raw talents. These few geniuses only need little groomings, just slight brush of the dust on their jackets and they turn graceful swans.

Forgive me if I've derailed unnecessarily. The budding ire cannot just be curbed. I beg your forgiveness, Senb.

If I were in your suit, Senb (which, of course, I am), I'd follow Kingzpen's advice. He smacked the nails on Jesus's palms.

Haha!

Someone's really miffed!

Larry, kindly explain the bolded bits - thanks! cheesy
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by princesa(f): 11:15pm On Dec 21, 2013
^ hehehe those bolded lines got me too. grin grin

but...

The fact still remains that, not everyone wants to read an intellectually-highly-researched-over-grammartised-moral-teaching-standardly-plotted-syntax-correct-stories (now Don't try these words at home grin)

not everyone wants serious sh.it always. Sometimes, we want to just read someone else's tale and laugh it out amongst our 'preposterous dialogues' (bit my tongue typing that grin)

And at the end of the day, some of us would rather love to flow with the tide, make our 'money', build our 'fan base' and get on with the next 'phone book metaphor'

afterall no be Naija we dey? people should just loosen up sometimes. Too much gra gra no dey sell market.

Thank you cool
Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by LarrySun(m): 4:01pm On Dec 22, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Haha!

Someone's really miffed!

Larry, kindly explain the bolded bits - thanks! cheesy
Hey XY! How are you? It's been quite a while. Do not mind me jare. I was on something strong when I posted that. Sober now grin .

princesa: ^ hehehe those bolded lines got me too. grin grin

(Of course they do. That's my intention.)

but... ( Now I smell trouble. embarassed This child again. )

The fact still remains that, not everyone (Exactly. NOT EVERYONE. NOT EVERYONE will appreciate the works of Shakespeare, Dickens or Twain. Hell, NOT EVERYONE appreciates Achebe or Soyinka) wants to read an intellectually-highly-researched-over-grammartised-moral-teaching-standardly-plotted-syntax-correct-stories (You make me blush smiley ) (now Don't try these words at home grin) (No one'll be dumb enough to try it. That's gramma-freaking-tically disgusting)

not everyone wants serious sh.it always (Enough reason to settle for the unserious sh.its. I understand). Sometimes, we want to just read someone else's tale and laugh it out amongst our 'preposterous dialogues' (And the dame uses the royal plural pronoun. You ain't my recipient, stop believing you are) (bit my tongue typing that grin) (Sorry dear. Perhaps the poor tongue deserves a little respite grin )

And at the end of the day, some of us would rather love to flow with the tide, make our 'money', build our 'fan base' and get on with the next 'phone book metaphor' (Would you kindly explain this balderdash? Or were you on something too? )

afterall no be Naija we dey?
(Oh come one, you can do better than this. *yawns*) people should just loosen up sometimes. Too much gra gra no dey sell market (You know, if I should create a character out of this market-woman, she'd be a comic relief. Hehehehe! grin I've loosened up already).

Thank you cool

No comment. cool

1 Like

Re: What To Do About Short Stories...... by EfemenaXY: 4:33pm On Dec 22, 2013
Larry-Sun:
Hey XY! How are you? It's been quite a while. Do not mind me jare. I was on something strong when I posted that. Sober now grin .

No comment. cool

Lol!

I'm good. Yeah, it's been a while. Good to see you around! smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Story: 3 Sisters And A Copper / 48 Laws Of Power - Good Book Or Bad Book? / Downlaod Rich Dad Poor Dad And Other Audio Books Here And Get 200free Sms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.