Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,326 members, 7,780,810 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:59 PM

Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value (17496 Views)

Contacts Of Nollywood Cast(actors/actresses) And Crew / BOLLYWOOD Actors, Actresses And Movies (Pics) / Most Annoying Nigerian Actors/Actresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Slickest(m): 4:43pm On Dec 17, 2013
As a consistent viewer of both Nolly and Hollywood works(ignoring Bollywood), it saddens my heart when I hear or see our own Nigerian stars surrounded by their own fans and not celebrated like their Holly counterparts, recently I heard our very own Jim Iyke visited an African country and he was well welcomed, I was happy until I saw a comment from someone who said we do not see what others see in our own. I felt it is something normal not to value something belonging to you since you see it everyday, that triggered my thought to view more widely why we do not value our very own, it is not the viewers/fans fault that they just walk by when told a star is around, it is not their fault that they insult other people who causes stampede just to see a nigerian star. What formerly puzzles me was why hollywood actors/actresses are still celebrated till date by their fans even when they live with them, some even go as far as fainting when they are seen, some keep their autographs as souvenirs in their homes to show they've met with the stars *i don't imagine a nigerian fighting for an autograph and keeping it*.

It seized to be a puzzle when I went on research to view "the world's own Arnold Schwarzenegger's" career as an actor, first I gave preference to him for belonging to hollywood, but it dawned on me when I realised that the 66year old actor had featured in just 42 films in his career *including voice over in Dr.Dolittle as the white wolf*, I tried not to believe it but it amounted to 40 *would be 42 in 2014 when sabotage and expendables3 are completed*, he became so popular around the world with just 40 movies, his consistency in unforgettable movies made him an actor to always watch out for, same as Jean claude Vandamme, Tom Hanks, Sandra bullock, Leonardo Dicaprio, Rowan atkinson(Mr Bean), kate Winslet, Dolph Lungreen, Danzel Washington, Will smith, Martin Lawrence, Tom cruise, Samuel L. Jackson, Mira Sovino, etc none of these actors/ actresses has featured in a hundred movies, with most of them starting their careers in the 70s and 80s. These people are not always on t.v but when they are...they draw enough crowd because they obey the law of diminishing returns which states that in all productive processes, adding more of one factor of production will at one point yield lower per unit returns, let me break it down in the view of my topic, *whats the beauty of a star in daylight?*. A fan will definitely attach less value(that's the returns) to a star when he keeps seeing him/her on every channel tuned to and every new movie.

Baba Suwe used to be the funniest man on t.v until when he was no longer special, it was a normal thing to see him in different yoruba movies, mr.Latin came along and same was his fate, Osofia came nd just disappeared, now sanyeri is on fire and he is already boasting of over 200 movies. I watched an episode of who deserves to be a millionaire on Nta once and Jide Kosoko was the person to answer for the contestant, a question was thrown at him by Frank on a movie produced by him, the question demanded the year he produced the movie but our dear Jide kosoko out of over production and lack of record keeping got the answer wrong. Then came one of my favourite in the yoruba movie industry Odun Adekola who now annoys me whenever I see him in a movie, he possess the same attitude in what ever character he plays, he also boasted in an interview that he has featured in over 300 films and he produced over 80, I was so stunned but that's how the story goes, same as the likes of Saint Obi back then in the mid and late 90s who came and disappeared from the scene, I think being over consistent in movies is one factor that makes them loose their values in the eyes of their fans.

Finally, I shook my head to my insinuation that fans get tired of all Nollywood acts/works, I thought more on those that still thrill me when I see them on tv or see their works, the likes of Ramsey Noah Jnr, Omotola Jalade, Alex Osifo, Pete Edochie, Lere Paimo, Peter Fatomilola, kunle Afolayan, Kola Oyewo, Genevieve Nnaji, Liz Benson, Reginna Askia...all these stars gave acting a break so we don't get tired of them,it might be for other reasons but I'll still love to see Liz Benson in a film, same as Reginna even if she's 46, another film maker that thrills me every time is Tunde kelani of Mainframe productions, that man is a master at mater piece, classic story lines, he has 17 movies to his name.
Like we say in Nigeria, "too much of everything is not good..."Producing movies and over appearance should be in normality because excess kills its value, over 100 movies are being released in a month in nigeria while Hollywood releases 15 movies a month, why won't the actors/actresses put in their bests since there are few movies to star in and a whole lot of money to be made, without derailing from the main topic I think if there's a tab on the amount of movies produced we the fans would celebrate our stars more than we do now and it would even help in curbing the menace "Piracy".

Slickest...

15 Likes

Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Brightid(m): 4:24pm On Dec 18, 2013
finally finally......FTC,it Wasn't easy!
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Dedewizzy(m): 4:25pm On Dec 18, 2013
What's d fuss with Nollywood stories today & FP?? smh
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by amiskurie(m): 4:25pm On Dec 18, 2013
Na to Devalue them easy pass!!
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Nobody: 4:26pm On Dec 18, 2013
Am I first?

Anyway abt d topic..now you don't expect me to trip for jim iyke in silly stupid 'so called' action packed movie when I had the priviledge of watching Daniel Craig in 007 skyfall?
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by DICKtator: 4:26pm On Dec 18, 2013
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by kullozone(m): 4:27pm On Dec 18, 2013
i hate nollywood
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by SIRKOL(m): 4:28pm On Dec 18, 2013
Well d Bible says a prophet is not recognised in his home town, apply it in dis issue
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Sermwell(m): 4:28pm On Dec 18, 2013
Pls wat is nollywood?
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Brightid(m): 4:29pm On Dec 18, 2013
A.jeez:
Am I first?
NO, i pass u 2day pls work harder....lol
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Csami(m): 4:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
Yep u got some right but not all. It is not about numbers but the quality of what they produce. Hollywood take their sweet time putting everything in place just to give the audience a perfect view for their money but what we get from nollywood are movies that lacks quality, even to make person disappear na war. Nollywood still has a long way to go.

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Raymondfayowole(m): 4:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
Noted
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Nobody: 4:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
fck
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by DocAdray(f): 4:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
We value them, though preferentially...
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Pimples(m): 4:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
There is sense in this analogy.
Nollywood actors just want fame and money
They do not tell a story....

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by timpaker(m): 4:31pm On Dec 18, 2013
I'd rather watch mojo than watch Nollywood movies angry angry

14 Likes

Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by emmaliveth10(m): 4:33pm On Dec 18, 2013
Hmmmmm i wonder ooh!
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by oladoya(m): 4:33pm On Dec 18, 2013
please who can define nollywood? Coz i only recognise Hollywood. Thanks
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by chi3280(m): 4:33pm On Dec 18, 2013
So what am I gonna do abourrit?

Op, GO AND DIE!!
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by mazizitonene(m): 4:33pm On Dec 18, 2013
Not so true, take patience ozokwor and nkem owoh for example, na dem get africa magic. Without either of d two in a movie, d movie isn't on africa magic!....but they are very highly respected

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by helphelp: 4:33pm On Dec 18, 2013
Ok....

I sha made front page....*like I care*
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 18, 2013
timpaker: I'd rather watch mojo than watch Nollywood movies angry angry
guy ur head is there
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 18, 2013
Bright_id: NO, i pass u 2day pls work harder....lol

Lols..4:25 and 4:26..hmmm..one minute changed a lot..
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by mcyemite(m): 4:37pm On Dec 18, 2013
It can only get better,I still can't believe that Arnold(commando) featured in only 40 hollywood movies......#respect#
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Nobody: 4:42pm On Dec 18, 2013
@ Op, U r right buh dnt U fink praising celebrities is 4 d weak minded?? I appreciate celebs dat r excellent at wat dey do, not some mediocre. I believe Hollywood celebs take alot of time to work on themselves, nd they try as much as possible to give us dea best, dey get appreciated not just because dey make themselves not too available, dey give us dea best which I fink took them alot of hardwork.
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by moscobabs(m): 4:42pm On Dec 18, 2013
@op thanks for the observation,I was disapointed when Jide Kosoko got the that WWTBAM question wrong,he produced the film but could not remember the year again

Aye nse gbogbo won.they will soon fade!!!
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by kambah(m): 4:42pm On Dec 18, 2013
you are a good analyst and i bellieve you too have watched over 200nollyhood movies.

as for the actors\tresses take a long break off camera. bcoz Regina Askia or Liz Benson should feature in any movie now am sure it will hit market big time. coz they had been missed.

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Hackerjay(m): 4:42pm On Dec 18, 2013
I prefer cartoon to diz nollyshit

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by GentleFrank(m): 4:42pm On Dec 18, 2013
Good !
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by mazizitonene(m): 4:42pm On Dec 18, 2013
fuckfuckman: h
Must u fk?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Current Nigerian Soap Operas / Tunde Kelani’s ‘Ayinla’ Movie To Hit Cinemas On June 18 / Cartoons: Not For Kids Alone!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.