Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,135 members, 7,807,440 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:34 PM

Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly (17223 Views)

When Gbajabiamila And APC Lawmakers Blocked 2014 Budget / If Diezani Stole £13b (3.9trn) What's Nigeria 2014 Budget? / Okonjo-iweala To Buhari: You Must Do Something About Oil Cartel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Symphony007: 1:37pm On Dec 18, 2013
The Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala will on Thursday present the 2014 Budget to the joint session of the National Assembly.
She will perform the task on behalf of President Goodluck Jonathan who is unavailable for undisclosed reasons.
The presentation of the 2014 budget has postponed twice due to disagreement between the Senate and the House of Representatives on crude oil benchmark.
Both chambers posted different figures on the oil benchmark.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/okonjo-iweala-present-2014-budget-thursday/

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by immortalcrown(m): 1:39pm On Dec 18, 2013
Another joke.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Symphony007: 1:40pm On Dec 18, 2013
Why would the president send a minister to present the national budget and address a joint session of the national assembly? Not even the vice president. That's rather insulting and unprecedented. I suggest and senate president and speaker refuse such a request. If the two topmost men in the nation are two busy to do this which is outright impossible. Then they should just send the budget with a letter. A joint session of the national assembly cannot meet to be addressed by a minister.

Politics must not be injected into everything.

17 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Demdem(m): 1:43pm On Dec 18, 2013
angry angry angry
What's the meaning of this?
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Pukkah: 1:44pm On Dec 18, 2013
For undisclosed reasons?

This is serious and a measure of the level of importance that's attached by the Presidency to the whole process.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Ngwakwe: 1:45pm On Dec 18, 2013
immortalcrown: Another joke.

Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala has been functioning as de facto Prime Minister and nothing surprising about that.

13 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by kokoA(m): 1:48pm On Dec 18, 2013
He has lost the support of the legislators..

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Afam4eva(m): 1:49pm On Dec 18, 2013
Even though Ngozi Okonjo Iweala is the defacto prime minister of Nigeria, the President should have sent his vice, Namadi Sambo or is his vice also unavailable. Infact, i don't think this is something the president should miss except there's a cogent reason why he'll not be doing the presentation himself.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Nobody: 1:50pm On Dec 18, 2013
A beleaguered President

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by awodman: 1:52pm On Dec 18, 2013
Yeah...its time to act up as the boss....
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by alaoeri: 1:55pm On Dec 18, 2013
The otueke drunken master shying away from his responsibility, the opposition don gather momentum & he won't find it easy like before thus using formula dodge it.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by citizenY(m): 1:57pm On Dec 18, 2013
The President is suffering from jet lag... and hangover from the trip to bury Nelson Mandela and celebrating the 50th independence
anniversary of Kenya. I understand he humped a rhino when he was in Kenya. Please give him a break.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You guys should be lucky, if na porcupine nko? yawa for gas[s][/s] kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Pukkah: 2:04pm On Dec 18, 2013
Ngwakwe:

Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala has been functioning as de facto Prime Minister and nothing surprising about that.

Afam4eva: Even though Ngozi Okonjo Iweala is the defacto prime minister of Nigeria .

Defacto Prime Minister? So what's the title and role of Goodluck Jonathan? Ceremonial President?

Also, is a Prime Minister function in alignment with our present Constitution?

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Afam4eva(m): 2:06pm On Dec 18, 2013
Pukkah:

Defacto Prime Minister? So what's the title and role of Goodluck Jonathan? Ceremonial President?

I assume you don't know what "De facto" means.

12 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Nobody: 2:09pm On Dec 18, 2013
Dereliction of duty by GEJ.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 18, 2013
Afam4eva:

Tell us the meaning
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Pukkah: 2:14pm On Dec 18, 2013
Afam4eva:

Please tell me the meaning.

Apart from the meaning of the 'de facto Prime Minister', also tell me who the 'de facto Ceremonial President' is.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Afam4eva(m): 2:18pm On Dec 18, 2013
Pukkah:

Please tell me the meaning.

Apart from the meaning of the 'de facto Prime Minister', also tell me who the 'de facto Ceremonial President' is.

When you say someone is "De facto Prime minister", it's just meant to show that the role of that person is very similar to that of a real prime minister but the person is not constitutionally empowered to be a PM. It was exactly this comment of your that made me think you may not know the meaning.

Pukkah:

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Ngwakwe: 2:19pm On Dec 18, 2013
The Political Climate in Nigeria is highly polarised, moreover, economics of budgeting is not his forte as some disgruntled law makers may wish to challenge and expose his weaknesses during the presentation (by demanding facts and figures) in a bid to ridicule and render him unelected come 2015.

This is just a calculated risk which he thinks will favour him for now.

Afam4eva: Even though Ngozi Okonjo Iweala is the defacto prime minister of Nigeria, the President should have sent his vice, Namadi Sambo or is his vice also unavailable. Infact, i don't think this is something the president should miss except there's a cogent reason why he'll not be doing the presentation himself.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Afam4eva(m): 2:24pm On Dec 18, 2013
Ngwakwe: The Political Climate in Nigeria is highly polarised, moreover, economics of budgeting is not his forte as some disgruntled law makers may wish to challenge and expose his weaknesses during the presentation (by demanding facts and figures) in a bid to ridicule and render him unelected come 2015.

But don't you think we should be leaning towards having the likes of Okonjo Iweala as the substantive president because they understand the issues. It seems to me that the way our system is structured, the president is very similar to a ceremonial one with little understanding of how the economy functions. We need to technocratize our presidential system.

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by takedat(m): 2:25pm On Dec 18, 2013
Pukkah:

also tell me who the 'de facto Ceremonial President' is.

Patience Jonathan cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Demdem(m): 2:25pm On Dec 18, 2013
Ngwakwe:

Deeperlifer, are u ok?
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Pukkah: 2:25pm On Dec 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
When you say someone is "De facto Prime minister", it's just meant to show that the role of that person is very similar to that of a real prime minister but the person is not constitutionally empowered to be a PM. It was exactly this comment of your that made me think you may not know the meaning.

And what are those roles she's performing, apart from the mere title of the Coordinating Minister of the Economy, that she did not perform in her first coming as the Finance Minister? Mind you, no single Minister reports to her.

Why is she being described as the 'de facto Prime Minister' when we have a President that's the Head of Government, Leader of his political party, and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces and a Vice President that acts in case the President is not available?

How did we come about this confusion?

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Demdem(m): 2:28pm On Dec 18, 2013
Ngwakwe: The Political Climate in Nigeria is highly polarised, moreover, economics of budgeting is not his forte as some disgruntled law makers may wish to challenge and expose his weaknesses during the presentation (by demanding facts and figures) in a bid to ridicule and render him unelected come 2015.

Has there ever been anytime when there were questions and answers from presidents after budget presentation ?
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Afam4eva(m): 2:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
Pukkah:

And what are those roles she's performing, apart from mere the title of the Coordinating Minister of the Economy, that she did not perform in her first coming as the Finance Minister?

Why is she being described as the 'de facto Prime Minister' when we have a President that's the Head of Government and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces and a Vice President that acts in case the President is not available?

How did we come about this confusion?
Being called the coordinating minister is not just a title but a responsibility. Her responsibility far surpasses those of the other ministers as she's charged with the responsibility of overseeing other ministries in a monitoring capacity. Like i stated in my last comment, Nigerian presidents are more or less figure-heads and can be aptly described as "defact ceremonial presidents".
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by gtrust: 2:36pm On Dec 18, 2013
Symphony007: Why would the president send a minister to present the national budget and address a joint session of the national assembly? Not even the vice president. That's rather insulting and unprecedented. I suggest and senate president and speaker refuse such a request. If the two topmost men in the nation are two busy to do this which is outright impossible. Then they should just send the budget with a letter. A joint session of the national assembly cannot meet to be addressed by a minister.

Politics must not be injected into everything.

In most civilized Nations, the office of minister for finance and headed by the finance mininster ALWAYS presents the budget!
Check it out.
You can even watch United Kingdom budget presentation right now on YouTube!
It is usually a big occasion when you see the minister for finance (chancellor of the exchequer) carrying the 2000 years old small red briefcase and parading it infront of the media before heading to the parliament to read it.

Stop being 'sentimental without facts'!

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Pukkah: 2:39pm On Dec 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
Being called the coordinating minister is not just a title but a responsibility. Her responsibility far surpasses those of the other ministers as she's charged with the responsibility of overseeing other ministries in a monitoring capacity. Like i stated in my last comment, Nigerian presidents are more or less figure-heads and can be aptly described as "defact ceremonial presidents".

Which ministries does she oversee and what's the reporting relationship between the Ministers of those Ministries and the President?
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Afam4eva(m): 2:42pm On Dec 18, 2013
Pukkah:

Which ministries does she oversee and what's the reporting relationship between the Ministers of those Ministries and the President?
I'm not an insider, so i wouldn't know. The long and short of the story is that the finance minister have a bigger portfolio than other minissters.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Pukkah: 2:43pm On Dec 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm not an insider, so i wouldn't know. The long and short of the story is that the finance minister have a bigger portfolio than other minissters.

Which bigger portfolio now Afam? grin
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by superstar1(m): 2:44pm On Dec 18, 2013
Ahhhhhh.

Mr President is running away from NA. His sycophants are giving him Abacha's treatment of locking him up in Aso Rock.

Another demonstration of weakness.

May God help him.

VP too should defect then and let coordinating minister take over the VP seat. The VP seat is useless for now.

9 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Nobody: 2:46pm On Dec 18, 2013
Lol.
Jonathan is probably scared of numbers. Reason he sent okonjo iweala to bamboozle the dunderheads at the national assembly.

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Present 2014 Budget To National Assembly by Pukkah: 2:48pm On Dec 18, 2013
Afam4eva:

1. A new nomenclature or title was created for her. That title is 'Coordinating Minister for the Economy'.
2. The new title is not supported by the Constitution.
3. On the basis of the new title, some people including yourself have described her as the 'defacto Prime Minister'. A few have even describe her as the 'defacto Vice President' or 'alpha and omega' of the Jonathan administration.
4. She's supposed to 'oversee' some Ministries undecided but which Ministers are being overseen? Is doing more than she did during her first coming as Finance Minister?

Do all these portray President Jonathan in a good light?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ebelechukwu Obiano Visits Woman Who Gave Birth To Quintuplets In Awka / Grand Reception For AIG Hakeem Odumosu (Photos) / Two Edo Refineries Receive Crude From Oza Oil Field

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.