Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,833 members, 7,806,337 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:00 PM

Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) (12499 Views)

Nigerian Air Force Built Ied-detonating Robot To Combat Boko Haram Insurgency / Amazing Facts About The Air Force One (official ‘plane’ Of The US President) / Nigerian Air Force Bomb-Detonating Robot, Tracking Device (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by Nobody: 3:05pm On Dec 20, 2013
Ayatullah: I heard it from from some guys helping me move my goods in Jankara market that the Boko Haram guys have developed a Long Range Catapult to bring down this drone called Gulma. They say the name of the catapult is 'Kanakana'.

Lol
Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by obailala(m): 3:06pm On Dec 20, 2013
Sometimes I wonder why after some Nigerians watch too much TV they begin to think from their anus.... How can anyone possibly condemn this development simply because it doesn't compare to US drones??... angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by InvertedHammer: 3:07pm On Dec 20, 2013
mikkyphp: Guys Guys Guys...Stop the Cynicism

This is our first attempt, whether or not it is a toy purchased over the counter, the fact is that the UAV has been modified with the addition of on-board cameras and GPS to perform pre-defined tasks within its ambit. the GCS is quite impressive with the ground mounted mobile radio antennae; though i am not sure what its maximum range is.

With this display and proper PR, they could get proper funding to expand the program to incorporate other features and capabilities - possiblly carry arms.

NAF has not come out to say they invented it, neither do they have any interest in re-inventing the wheel. Lets cut them some slack.

I believe with proper vision and funding, this program could be expanded and go a long way in securing our borders, providing relief in disaster areas, beaming live footages, aerial pictures of BH strong holds....etc...who knows, maybe jumia will use it to deliver parcels within the lagos metropolis using an octacopter grin

good work boys!

We cannot celebrate mediocrity for the heck of it.

Whatever is worth doing, is worth doing well.

You cannot buy an OTC UAV and falsely present it as a product of NAF non-existing R & D department

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by Capnd143(m): 3:10pm On Dec 20, 2013
Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by Nobody: 3:13pm On Dec 20, 2013
ochukoccna: This Gulma is a phucking toy grin grin
How can a drone make so much noise? angry angry
How can a drone be started by manually rolling the propeller? undecided undecided
How is it the drone has to be held by human hands to steady it whilst taxiing and before take off? sad sad
A president that has his priorities right will tell his Air-force chief to sack the 'Engineers' that did this gimmick but no not Ebele Jonathan shocked shocked
SR was right to say he launched a drone which did not fly and the Nigerian Air Force should have kept their peace rather than release video of this toy which Boko Haram will shoot down with bows and arrows talk less of militants using RPGs angry angry
This is a bad joke mehn embarassed embarassed

This 'drone' was taken to the cleaners https://www.nairaland.com/1562012/video-gulma-tactical-uav-nigerias but the OP has started a new topic on it again sad sad
Shame! embarassed embarassed
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by seangy4konji: 3:14pm On Dec 20, 2013
IS THIS YOUR DRONEARE YOU KIDDING METHIS IS WHAT BADLUCK JONATHAN WORE AGBADA TO COMMISION?YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME!!!NIGERIA IS A JOKE...
Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by ssjalo(m): 3:14pm On Dec 20, 2013
Nice job naija, keep it up.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by LeStylo: 3:26pm On Dec 20, 2013
InvertedHammer:

You cannot buy an OTC UAV and falsely present it as a product of NAF non-existing R & D department

#GBAM! You said it all.
Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by linearity: 3:34pm On Dec 20, 2013
mikkyphp: Guys Guys Guys...Stop the Cynicism

This is our first attempt, whether or not it is a toy purchased over the counter, the fact is that the UAV has been modified with the addition of on-board cameras and GPS to perform pre-defined tasks within its ambit. the GCS is quite impressive with the ground mounted mobile radio antennae; though i am not sure what its maximum range is.

With this display and proper PR, they could get proper funding to expand the program to incorporate other features and capabilities - possiblly carry arms.

NAF has not come out to say they invented it, neither do they have any interest in re-inventing the wheel. Lets cut them some slack.

I believe with proper vision and funding, this program could be expanded and go a long way in securing our borders, providing relief in disaster areas, beaming live footages, aerial pictures of BH strong holds....etc...who knows, maybe jumia will use it to deliver parcels within the lagos metropolis using an octacopter grin

good work boys!

Based on your yardstick, I should be parting myself on the back for the 'ingenuity' I displayed by wiring a GPS system, two internal cameras (one facing front and another facing back), then a backup camera on the license plate with a dashboard view plus an inbuilt Bluetooth plus a radar detector and a DVD system, etc...all these meticulously wired to the on-board system of my car that is Japan made?

By the way, did I tell you that the radar detector can do amazing and pre-programmed stuff? Like telling me real-time traffic situation on the road during rush hours and tell me the roads to avoid, plus tell me where the COPs are hiding and to avoid then or slow down when I approach those places, it also have GPS location and programmable abilities...Lest I forget, my backup camera can do some amazing stuff as well, like warning me when there is an object behind me while backing up....time will fail me to tell you the other miracles the other stuff can also do...I need my own accolades.

My point is, we should stop congratulating mediocracy from our governments, especially when they do somethings that a curious minded fifteen year old can do within one weekend in his father's backyard.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by patriotic007: 3:34pm On Dec 20, 2013
nutty_hnic: This is a very good development in Nigeria.

But am confused?? This is a Country that barely has electricity, good roads, dilapidated structures...bad governance.

They left all that to create UAVs? Wow...

Someone please tell me how this people think. HA!
Things are changing my dear,....Not only in the airforce but everywhere,...power,road,railway,aviation,...Just open your eyes and keep politics and tribalism out of your mind

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by solomon111(m): 3:38pm On Dec 20, 2013
InvertedHammer:

Now i've had enough of this guy.
What is wrong in acknowledging the fact that we've began to focus on indigenous technology?
How many african countries can build drones?
What's Nigeria's defence budget compared to countries like america with the so-called superior drones?
I would also like you to provide proof that the drone was bought.?
As for the R&grin ,it's obvious you've not heard of the Airforce institute of technology that has made some progress in indigenous manufacturing,design and maintainance of airframes especially through tech transfer which i won't bother highlighting.
I wouldn't want to call you an empty vessel that's largely ignorant of the subject matter, though i'm compelled to.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by Skywalker5(m): 3:41pm On Dec 20, 2013
That relay station is soooo 1990.I have not those type of monitor screen since Dr Who? Who bought this stuff for Air force? Drones don advance pass this ones. Is this what we should be building at the level that technology has reached? Dont tell me this is another billion dollar project? .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by mrjingles(m): 3:47pm On Dec 20, 2013
Now i know Nairaland MODS are f&^%g compromised. Another thread on this same subject with more informed comments is languishing in the background while this yeye "me too" thread makes front page. This is sooo ridiculous. NAIRALAND HAS FALLEN.
Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by solomon111(m): 3:47pm On Dec 20, 2013
obailala: Sometimes I wonder why after some Nigerians watch too much TV they begin to think from their anus.... How can anyone possibly condemn this development simply because it doesn't compare to US drones??... angry
Seriously,i tire.
This's why i always say Nigeria may never become another china.
Nigerians wants the best without striving to support and develop their own.
The chinese and even russian made airframes and drones are still inferior to that of america,but it works nonetheless.
The chinese supports and encourage their own products no matter how superior the competitor is.
It's only a matter of time before the technological gap is breached just like we're seeing between the US and china.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by PaulSteve: 4:09pm On Dec 20, 2013
InvertedHammer: /

What is the big deal?

You can buy one online for $700.

Unless OP is claiming that they built it from scratch...at which point I will know he is lying.

\

A friend and brother was part of the building,a graduate of university and jos commissioned into NAF early this year,eversince they embarked on this project he leaves home as early as 7:00am despite staying within the base and returns very late in the evening. You may choose to believe all you want,but one thing am happy for is Nigerians who hitherto could not meet this feat have been able to,kudos the the NAF family and all Nigerians. China is said to immitate yet their products control our market,Nigeria can and has started somewhere!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by chid3x: 4:14pm On Dec 20, 2013
mrjingles: Now i know Nairaland MODS are f&^%g compromised. Another thread on this same subject with more informed comments is languishing in the background while this yeye "me too" thread makes front page. This is sooo ridiculous. NAIRALAND HAS FALLEN.

I.T.K This op posted it first. Infact he uploaded the videos on youtube by himself.
So dont just run ur mouth! grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by Litmus: 4:31pm On Dec 20, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
One of the biggest problem Nigeria faces today is that majority of the citizen do not know how far the world has left Nigeria behind! So when next to nothing is achieved, we over celebrate and shout at the top of our voices!

Yes, we have coupled a drone and flew it to some height, that should not call for the kind of celebration we are seeing and hearing about, instead we should go back develop things more like the Iranians and then WoW the world with the improvement.

There are many Nigerians in diaspora that have expertise in the design and construction and after sales remote maintenance of UAVs, MISAs, Missiles, Aircraft, but with a political leadership that lacks vision, and ideas, many have preferred to stay away, Hence the nation end up with a noisy toy they call drone

I probably know more than you do about the level of the world's technological development including as much as the most ardent Nerd on so-called Black Technology, but even I am pretty happy with what the Nigerian developers have achieved creating this UAS. Developing our own industry is invaluable. Much better for us in the long run than the simpler option of forever buying what others have developed. The next generation of Nigerian made UAS will be more advanced than this one and the one after that will be better yet. this progression would not have stood a chance had we not made this start. I don't care if someone in the Ugandan bush developed a gadget capable of opening up a usable wormhole - Hooray to him but I am a Nigerian, double-hip-hip -hooray to our indigenous manufacturers.

Also, i have learned from life that the moderate man who goes out there and actually produces according to his own ability is much more desirable to society and the world than the expansive man that simply boasts over and over again about what he is capable of doing but does nothing.

Words and statements are easy; watch me do it, " hay, man, what's the big deal about one lousy noisy RC disguised as Drone, i have a working millennium falcon in my shed but i never use it because, I'm faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive and able to leap tall ..."

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by chid3x: 4:39pm On Dec 20, 2013

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by rodeo0070(m): 4:53pm On Dec 20, 2013
Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by Melahou(m): 4:53pm On Dec 20, 2013
so much noise...it can b easily detected from below due to the noise....
Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by cocoduck: 5:29pm On Dec 20, 2013
Melahou: so much noise...it can b easily detected from below due to the noise....

Olodo. you dey watch too much harry potter movies. this drone is used for reconaisance missions. only the Predator drone from the US is capable of being armed with is it two stinger missiles or so. initially no US drones were armed. it was because of osama bin laden that Predator Drone began to be armed because it had the opportunity to kill Osama bin Laden but was only capable of taking pictures of the area. reconaisance missions used to be done with fighter jets but were too vulnerable to ground to air missiles so many pilots lost their lives in the process. do some research on drones. the noise you here is from the propeller. all drones make that noise.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 20, 2013
rodeo0070: I have one in my back yard. See for yourself. If you need one, $425 will bring your an exact replica of that. It even comes with an on board camera for real time streaming.
In no time now, the Niger-area Air force will claim to have spent millions on this project, while all they did was to order it and later brand it with the country's flag...

No mind them. They think say we be fools
Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by cocoduck: 5:44pm On Dec 20, 2013
Many people here don't even known what a drone is. a drone is used when a reconaisance mission is deemed too dirty, dangerousand deadly to be made by manned aircraft. the smaller the drone the better becaus you have to be a very good marks man to shoot it Down. even if it gets shot down its job must have been done and being cheap it can be manufactured en masse another one can be sent. youmust creep before you walk
can you imagine if these machines were produced en masse and sold to African countries it will create a lot of jobs for you and I

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by cocoduck: 5:46pm On Dec 20, 2013
1stCitizen:

No mind them. They think say we be fools

But you are all fools. If you can build it what then is holding you back

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by unmask: 6:13pm On Dec 20, 2013
the point is that developments that should be getting so much attention from the government, isn't things as rudimentary as a high school project.....this is akin to holding a media launch for a bicycle..........The army created it, kudos to them, but when they have left the arena of secondary school electronics, to high end innovations, then they can make noise and we will join them
Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by prettyboi1(m): 6:40pm On Dec 20, 2013
InvertedHammer: /

What is the big deal?

You can buy one online for $700.

Unless OP is claiming that they built it from scratch...at which point I will know he is lying.

\

Hey self-hating slave...how're you doing?
Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by aviazuva: 6:51pm On Dec 20, 2013
THE NIGERIAN AIR FORCE,
VICTORY FROM THE WINGS

YOU HAVE COME A LONG WAY DEAR NAF SINCE WE SEPARATED

A BIG CONGRATS TO THE CAS , OFFICERS AND MEN OF THE NAF
Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by prettyboi1(m): 6:53pm On Dec 20, 2013
ochukoccna: This Gulma is a phucking toy grin grin
How can a drone make so much noise? angry angry
How can a drone be started by manually rolling the propeller? undecided undecided
How is it the drone has to be held by human hands to steady it whilst taxiing and before take off? sad sad
A president that has his priorities right will tell his Air-force chief to sack the 'Engineers' that did this gimmick but no not Ebele Jonathan shocked shocked
SR was right to say he launched a drone which did not fly and the Nigerian Air Force should have kept their peace rather than release video of this toy which Boko Haram will shoot down with bows and arrows talk less of militants using RPGs angry angry
This is a bad joke mehn embarassed embarassed

This 'drone' was taken to the cleaners https://www.nairaland.com/1562012/video-gulma-tactical-uav-nigerias but the OP has started a new topic on it again sad sad
Shame! embarassed embarassed
I think I've always been an admirer of your different replies,but today I am disappointed in you beyond redemption. A really smart person knows that this UAV here is a prototype blueprint to more advanced & very well made UAVs. Do you think this is all they have to over about the building of the uav? If this is all they had to offer,wouldn't they have made a fleet of several of these? This is probably just at a stage where the prototype can be "test-flown". You think the cars you drive are just made once without a test-drive? If you finish building something this expensive before test-driving it & then you discover errors in it's build up, who would be the fool at the end of the day? You! Do you know how much money you would have wasted?
Please be reasonable here Ochuko. Thanks & cheers.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by prettyboi1(m): 6:55pm On Dec 20, 2013
Kudos to our Airforce...God Bless our beautiful nation.

A lot of Naija folks just choose to enjoy being slaves.......mentally & physically.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by cblogers: 7:06pm On Dec 20, 2013
The Gulma is just the beginning of the Nigerian UAV road map and this release is the first with sensors strictly for surveillance. The Gulma is not for Armament.
The Gulma’s role is straight and simple: TAKE A CAMERA UP INTO THE SKY, BE ABLE TO LOCK ON TO A TARGET, TRACK CONTINUOUSLY, AND SEND BACK LIVE IMAGERY. If it can take off, sustain its flight for the designed endurance, operate as far out as the intended range, operate reliably as high up as the design ceiling, fly automatically through way points, and return back and land safely, then it can perform its role of taking the camera payload up high for image analysts to do their job. The Gulma is just like a giant cordless boom taking a camera up high.
The NAF 610 & 611 videos were taken during a low altitude test flights of the Gulma. At the designed loiter altitude, the engine noise is not an issue. At cruise and loiter speeds, the altitude is way to high to easily hear the sound of the engine. The Israeli Aerostar (also in the NAF’s inventory) is way noisier at same altitude for sure. Gas engine powered aircrafts are generally noisy at low altitude, and when running at very high rpm.
The Gulma is the first and in no way is meant to compare with other countries UAVs. It is the start and I am personally happy it starts now and not in the future. Anyone out there who has something and is willing to bring it to the table, should come sit on the table and contribute. Great guys out there, please do contact the NAF and help contribute to this project that will move the nation forward… Lets not complain, downcast or compare… For once, lets have some little faith in ourselves and what we can do

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by aviazuva: 7:14pm On Dec 20, 2013
seangy4konji: IS THIS YOUR DRONEARE YOU KIDDING METHIS IS WHAT BADLUCK JONATHAN WORE AGBADA TO COMMISION?YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME!!!NIGERIA IS A JOKE...

You pple have watched too much foreign TV

Bear in mind that the person that invented custard might have started with akamu.

Let us support this archievement so that a higher one may come by.

America at a time was using bows and arrows, what are they using now?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Air Force Gulma Tactical Small UAS (SUAS) by cblogers: 7:17pm On Dec 20, 2013
And should in case you are tired of some unintellectual, and mis-informed comments by majority of un-enlightened "tweets" in this forum. Please for the sake of been aware and informed visit: beegealewordpress.com. A lot of Nigerian Young interlects reside there and they dont talk, but with fact of real time military issues...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Get A Responsive Website And Mobile Application Platform / Non-proliferation Of Nuclear Weapons: Five Nuclear Powers Issue Joint Statement / Tips On How To Avoid White Ant Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.