Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,978 members, 7,806,856 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:30 AM

My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? (17882 Views)

My Brother Is Like A Houseboy To His Wife / My Husbands Brother Is Breaking My Marriage / MY BROTHER IS Cheating On His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by slimyem: 8:46pm On Dec 19, 2013
How Do We Curtail His Football Madness?

This might sound funny but it really is not and its disturbing. It's past obsession and addiction and if there's any deeper substitute name for those two words,it should be called just that.

He is 17 and in his first year in the university. He spent these last 6 months ASUU strike break doing nothing asides sleeping, playing PS ,watching super sports and browsing on everything that has to do with just football.

He can spend the whole day in front of a screen playing football. He doesn't mind skipping breakfast or lunch just to punch pads all day. If he has to listen to news,its sports news. If he picks up a newspaper,its just straight to the sports section. Every other aspect of the news or every other page of the newspaper does not count to him.

I understand its okay to have hobbies the same way I understand one should be able to create a balance between that and lots of other things that make up life.
What makes it the more scary is that he has no knowledge of anything outside football and his field of study. Not even other sports,basic current affairs and even lots of basic general knowledge. You would be amazed at the simplest of questions he cannot answer for his age and level.
He has no views
or opinions about anything outside football nor can he contribute to or discuss any topic that's not football.

The other day I caught him mumbling the words "Is it a penalty?" in his SLEEP!!
...and before,you say talk to him, counsel him,give him other ideas of fun that would be beneficial,be sure that we(his parents inclusive) have done all that.
He doesn't have a personal laptop at the moment and the only reason he doesn't is everyone has fears that 90 percent of what he'll do with it is football.

How can one's life be that streamlined? Is it healthy?
Are we worrying unnecessarily? Will he grow out of it?
Its worrisome.
Your inputs would be appreciated.

4 Likes

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by greatgod2012(f): 9:11pm On Dec 19, 2013
It's two sided!
It's either he outgrows it when he's more matured and has other more demanding tasks before him within a little time. In other words, when it seems his studies is taking a lot from him and when he probably looking forward for a better life(job) after the completion of his programme.

OR

He becomes more addicted to the extent that he plans to practise in football field, in that case, you never see anything, he's just starting.

In either way, ignore him and pretend you aint aware of his obsession/addiction, till he is aware and he identifies his real self, so that you people are not seen as discouraging him in his chsen hobby.
When you want to give him any task, probably in the huse or outside the house, let there be a time limit, with that, he would learn about time management and how to prioritise.

It is well.
Our boys with football, ehn.

7 Likes

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Acidosis(m): 9:14pm On Dec 19, 2013
If WORDS do not seem to work, why not try ROD?

Its even better to spend the time on the pitch playing the football, than watch others play on screen/or control some programmed cartoons with a plastic pad.

BTW, its not about his age. Do not ignore him @17 thinking he'll outgrow this "streamlined" addiction.
I have seen 30+yrs old men who skip dinner & sleep just to hold a game pad.

1 Like

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by greatgod2012(f): 9:18pm On Dec 19, 2013
Acidosis: If WORDS do not seem to work, why not try ROD?

Its even better to spend the time on the pitch playing the football, than watch others play on screen.

ROD to a 17 years old guy, an undergraduate
What happens to the rod when he's back to school

2 Likes

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Dec 19, 2013
^ ^ ^Even if dey beat him, it won't stop him!
My dad almost killed my brother, he only got sharper in hiding it from him angry

2 Likes

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Dec 19, 2013
No remedy yet for futball addiction except he outgrows it or minimizes d time spent on futball things.

U guys should let him be.
The way young gals his age spend all days and night chating on facebook and whatsapp or reading novel is exactly d way he as correct dude is doing his own thing.
At least thank God its not p*orn sites he visits.
Its also exercise the brain like maths.

Welcome to the world of men!

It can be really annoying though.
Another alternative is to lv futball so u can connect to him tru that.
Eyaa, big sis is worried. Who wouldn't be. kiss

7 Likes

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Acidosis(m): 9:25pm On Dec 19, 2013
greatgod2012:

ROD to a 17 years old guy, an undergraduate
What happens to the rod when he's back to school

A 17 year old pupil is still liable to recieve some 'strokes'. Undergraduate or not, it doesn't change a thing.
Atleast we've heard of such incidence @ Babcock, Covenant University & UNILORIN.

If his Lecturers can spank the h*ll outta him, why can't I?
Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by greatgod2012(f): 9:36pm On Dec 19, 2013
Acidosis:

A 17 year old pupil is still liable to recieve some 'strokes'. Undergraduate or not, it doesn't change a thing.
Atleast we've heard of such incidence @ Babcock, Covenant University & UNILORIN.

my dear brother, let's stop all these violent way of solving matters. It doesn't have a long lasting solution, infact, most of the time, it adds to the menace.
A loving way of correcting an adolescent, and even everyone, will go a longer way positively than all those gra-gra we are used to.
It is well.

7 Likes

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Dec 19, 2013
Playstation, Wii, Xbox #sighs and we still won't stop buying it sad

Too addictive, if not for God of grace and my hubby's nonstop harassment ,that video game almost turned me to something else, I carried & installed it permanently at work sef .

OP he'll outgrow it------------> after ASUU call off strike grin abi you get work for him?

1 Like

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by ikeno(m): 9:43pm On Dec 19, 2013
To me I see it as a PHASE in his life. When he start to av responsibility his main priority will be how to make money.

I av game consoles but I hardly play them except when am very less busy. grin
Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by slimyem: 10:07pm On Dec 19, 2013
Acidosis:

Acid, rod bawo?
...at only a few months to 18 and almost 5'8 inches tall?

It's long past that my brother. I'd take your advice if he was less than 10. I'm assuming you wrote this tongue in cheek though. smiley
Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Dec 19, 2013
Too much spanking and yet nothing to show for it except behaving like nnama.
Yet those that don't spank to pass a message across r far better than us in anything.
Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by slimyem: 10:15pm On Dec 19, 2013
yellowpawpaw:

The problem is no even with connecting with him.
He has brothers and a father who equally love sports and football but his obsession scares them too. That's how bad it is.
I just finished a admonition short admonition with him before starting this thread. Big sis is really worried and she's not the only one who is.
Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Sammywalex(m): 11:57pm On Dec 19, 2013
That sounds exactly like me 4yrs ago, same age addictd to playstation coz i had 1 too then. I used to watch anytin calld soccer, various leagues n twas al abt football for me. Al ds was during the 2009 ASUU strike. Dnt panick he ll out grow it sumday, just let him set his priorities straight n he ll b just fine.
Like rite nw, m staring at my pc lukin at icons of games bt i only play them only wen i feel like, sumtims 4hrs in a wik unlike then wen i cud spend more than 12hrs a day. I just hope he doesnt learn the hard way.......BAD GRADES!!

1 Like

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Nobody: 12:38am On Dec 20, 2013
He'll have to be distracted by something else to let that go.

Maybe bad grades, a girlfriend or some other stuff

BTW it's better he games in school than roam all over with the wrong company
Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by tchigofigo(m): 1:53am On Dec 20, 2013
u guys shld jst get im a girlfrnd 4 a start..,wn he gets laid once, he'l b wiser..,or wait til he is on probation in skul due to excess C/Os, no b persn go tel am to wise up
Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by jmoore(m): 6:31am On Dec 20, 2013
The strike by ASUU is the cause. When school resumes, the madness will stop.

1 Like

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Nobody: 8:13am On Dec 20, 2013
yellowpawpaw: No remedy yet for futball addiction except he outgrows it or minimizes d time spent on futball things.

U guys should let him be.
The way young gals his age spend all days and night chating on facebook and whatsapp or reading novel is exactly d way he as correct dude is doing his own thing.
At least thank God its not p*orn sites he visits.
Its also exercise the brain like maths.

Welcome to the world of men!

lmao @ op your brother is just like my 2 kid brothers when we used to be ay home back then.they watch football like there is no tomorrow.come and eat,they will refuse,up to the extent that they dont baff when they are on it.they can sit down from 7am to 10 pm watching football and they wont be tired.when my mom removed the wires,they go outside and pay to watch it.even when there is not enough chair in the viewing centre,they will stand

their rooms nko?no space on the wall again grin they will paste all manners of footballers picture and group of men wearing uniform and one holding a cup,they call them chelsea or whatever.t.shirt to,chelsea,they will argue and argue and even if nepa takes away light,they wont be tired.their addiction to football was becoming like they were going crazy.they will both use their pocket money to fuel the gen ( at least i was happy about that) even my mom was tired of their nonsense grin

once they start shouting it is a goal,ill say yewande and bankole please shut up there.infact,its because of them my dad bought 4 t.v sets and put in each room and in the parlour so he said anyone that wants to watch anything should individually pay for the dstv subsription in his or her room.so their madness became restricted in the room.saturdays,when they go to the gym to work out,thats when we hear word.till we all left the house,thats how yewande and bankole was.

The only thing i was happy about was that they were the ones fuelling the gen and maintaing it,so that way i was abke to watch E!,movie magic,sfrican magic etc

2 Likes

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Zither(m): 8:21am On Dec 20, 2013
I really understand this phenomenon. I am a game addict as well but the difference is that, unlike him, I strike a balance btw books and games and I am not much of a soccer fan. In fact, my peers (most have no idea I love video games much) have nicknamed me 'Prof' for my 'seeming' vast knowledge of a wide range of topics (lol..btw u and me that is classic over estimation) @ home and @ school. I am currently a Law student. My advice would be to give him a gentle nudge towards the path of adding value to himself besides his undue attachment to anything sports. No rod, no spanking, no scolding. That would only result in fostering deep resentment in him towards the disciplinarian while the source of the problem remains unaffected. In fact, if anything it worsens it. Never underestimate the power of a gentle nudge. The result will not be instantaneous but in the long run, you will be glad you did not give up if you continue to nudge him gently (not pestering him incessantly). Good luck to you.

1 Like

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Seun(m): 4:25pm On Dec 20, 2013
Send him to a football academy. Let him indulge this passion. He will either become a great person in football or lose interest in it completely.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Prowizy2(m): 4:28pm On Dec 20, 2013
Is he addicted to watching football? If yes i'll say that's normal. There's no harm in that

But addicted to playing game is bad, during my secondary schools days i was so addicted that i had to play game with my school fees.

Game addiction is not good, pray he doesn't continue that on campus. Because his carry overs will be too heavy for him

1 Like

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Ghadafy(m): 4:28pm On Dec 20, 2013
Me too, especially Manchester United.
Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by ajoguegbe(m): 4:29pm On Dec 20, 2013
I wonder what these distraction topics are doing on Front Page when the most trending news in the country is hidden. They say it's a family affair but Governor Chimes husband wife issue had front page coverage on a daily basis. Chime and the open letters which one is more a national issue than family? I'm beginning to smell a rat
Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by NaLaugh: 4:29pm On Dec 20, 2013
Na today?
Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by bulksms12(m): 4:31pm On Dec 20, 2013
How e take pass jamb?post ume?I smell lies
Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by yuzedo: 4:31pm On Dec 20, 2013
Shay na Ben 10, My Little Pony or Mojo the nigga suppose dey obsess ni?!

When e begin bring sports money home in millions now, una go dey drag who be the most loving and supporting family member o?!! undecided We give up!! angry

5 Likes

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Jayses(m): 4:34pm On Dec 20, 2013

Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Nikapetrelli(f): 4:34pm On Dec 20, 2013
Na so
Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by maxtamazin: 4:35pm On Dec 20, 2013
slimyem: How Do We Curtail His Football Madness?

This might sound funny but it really is not and its disturbing. It's past obsession and addiction and if there's any deeper substitute name for those two words,it should be called just that.

He is 17 and in his first year in the university. He spent these last 6 months ASUU strike break doing nothing asides sleeping, playing PS ,watching super sports and browsing on everything that has to do with just football.

He can spend the whole day in front of a screen playing football. He doesn't mind skipping breakfast or lunch just to punch pads all day. If he has to listen to news,its sports news. If he picks up a newspaper,its just straight to the sports section. Every other aspect of the news or every other page of the newspaper does not count to him.

I understand its okay to have hobbies the same way I understand one should be able to create a balance between that and lots of other things that make up life.
What makes it the more scary is that he has no knowledge of anything outside football and his field of study. Not even other sports,basic current affairs and even lots of basic general knowledge. You would be amazed at the simplest of questions he cannot answer for his age and level.
He has no views
or opinions about anything outside football nor can he contribute to or discuss any topic that's not football.

The other day I caught him mumbling the words "Is it a penalty?" in his SLEEP!!
...and before,you say talk to him, counsel him,give him other ideas of fun that would be beneficial,be sure that we(his parents inclusive) have done all that.
He doesn't have a personal laptop at the moment and the only reason he doesn't is everyone has fears that 90 percent of what he'll do with it is football.

How can one's life be that streamlined? Is it healthy?
Are we worrying unnecessarily? Will he grow out of it?
Its worrisome.
Your inputs would be appreciated.

Football is an industry, it is at par with oil or even bigger. Encourage him if that is the field he want to be.
Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by teniola55(m): 4:36pm On Dec 20, 2013
greatgod2012: It's two sided!
It's either he outgrows it when he's more matured and has other more demanding tasks before him within a little time. In other words, when it seems his studies is taking a lot from him and when he probably looking forward for a better life(job) after the completion of his programme.

OR

He becomes more addicted to the extent that he plans to practise in football field, in that case, you never see anything, he's just starting.

In either way, ignore him and pretend you aint aware of his obsession/addiction, till he is aware and he identifies his real self, so that you people are not seen as discouraging him in his chsen hobby.
When you want to give him any task, probably in the huse or outside the house, let there be a time limit, with that, he would learn about time management and how to prioritise.

It is well.
Our boys with football, ehn.
you said he knws nxt to nothing!...so,hw come he enter university
Re: My Brother Is Obsessed With Football. What Can We Do? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Dec 20, 2013
He's still a kid... with time he will get over it with time.

I used to be like him, I can't do without playing video games when I was 14-17, like to read sport news but not as addicted as he was.

I play games every day, played with my breakfast and lunch money, could play all day back then.

Finally bought one but when it came to a stage I just stop and I didn't know why.

I can't even remember the last time I played a game...I'm too busy for that, when he's get to a stage he will definately stop, don't worry too much about it. he's healthy but just a football freak

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is N50,000 Monthly Enough Feeding Allowance For A Family Of 3? / Woman To Marry Twin Sister's Killer / Top 10 Lies Men Tell Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.