Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,810 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! (21057 Views)

Where Were Niger-Delta Senators & Reps When Lagos Calabar Rail Was Removed? / IST Presents 2015 Budget To Reps For 2016 / Tambuwal Pix Remains on Nat Assem Front Page/returned Back To Reps Inner Webpage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by inteli: 8:23am On Dec 20, 2013
An interactive session between members of the House of Representatives Committee on Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy and Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, on Thursday resulted in exchange of near uncomplimentary remarks by the two parties in the National Assembly complex.

The committee, headed by Abdulmumin Jibrin, which had invited the minister for the session, turned round to walk her out over some differences.

The session was to have Okonjo-Iweala alongside the Accountant-General of the Federation, Jonah Ogunniyi Otunla, give a brief on the state of the economy from January to date.

But upon her appearance before the committee, Okonjo-Iweala told the lawmakers that although she was “feeling sick,” she had to honour their invitation out of respect.

“I must tell you that I’m feeling sick. For the past one week I’ve not had good sleep, so I’m not feeling fine. But I had to come because I respect the parliament and the committee.

“I’ll try my best to respond to your questions as much as possible, and my other colleagues who are also here with me will contribute,” she said.

However, the minister’s explanation seemed not to appease Jibrin and his committee members who, after consultation among themselves, made Jubrin to rule that the committee could not take on the minister immediately.

The prepared document containing the 50 questions that they had for her was then handed over to her and asked to respond in writing within two weeks.

“We’re not insensitive to your situation as human beings, and if you had told us this before now, we would have given you some time. We have 50 questions for you, and we can give you time to respond in writing,” Jibrin said.

Drama however started when the minister insisted that she should be allowed to respond to the questions, saying “since I’m here now, I want to respond to the questions in person”.

But Jibrin simply told her that he had ruled and there was no going back on the matter.

“You should provide written answers within two weeks, and we’ll invite you in January to appear before us. The 50 questions capture all at stake on the state of the economy.”

However, the minister, who had earlier laid the 2014 budget estimate before the House and briefed journalists thereafter said: “I know you have ruled, but you have to hear me out. You haven’t allowed me to say something, and everybody is here seeing what is happening.

“With all due respect, I will not tell your committee that I’m feeling fine when I’m not. We have had good working relationship with your committee; I thought we’ll be treated with courtesy, but the way you’re starting is a bit disturbing,” she said.

This situation forced the committee chairman to practically walk Okonjo-Iweala out of the meeting venue, saying, “You know I have ruled and if you don’t mind please excuse us. Members should stay behind for executive meeting. We don’t want any haphazard answers, so you can go honourable minister”.

Despite this, the minister demanded that the committee should hear her out, stating: “I will manage to answer the questions. I won’t answer you haphazardly. I know my health, and I assure you that I can answer you well along with my other colleagues here”.

This apparently did no go down well with the committee chairman who responded: “I’m sorry Honourable Minister. You can only decide what happens in the Finance Ministry and not in the House”.

Okonjo-Iweala who was not happy with the situation further said: “I have uttermost respect for the committee and expect same from you. I’m a Minister of the Federal Republic. When you invite ministers, you should treat them with respect. We can’t be invited and be abused.”
SOURCE: http://dailyindependentnig.com/2013/12/reps-okonjo-iweala-clash-state-economy/

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by 1stola: 8:24am On Dec 20, 2013
booked
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by sademola: 8:27am On Dec 20, 2013
The reps should learn to be civil!

9 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by donphilopus: 8:28am On Dec 20, 2013
Serious!
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by koboko69: 8:32am On Dec 20, 2013
Honourable minister...learn to respect yourself 1st. You could have written a letter or communicated in some other way about ur health for the meeting to be rescheduled if u knew u were indisposed. Making such statements to the committee is totally uncalled for..cos you are indirectly telling that if not that they are Reps...they can GO AND DIE! Or do u have a choice not to respect members of the house? If you are sick go and treat your self 1st so tmr u wouldn't come and tell u were sick when u were giving figures or answering questions....if u can't do that well GO AND DIE!

Its more like your 'oga' asking you to appear before him...on getting there ur utterances are like. Oga, I'm not feeling too well...but cos I respect u that's why came. That is totally uncalled for. WTF is that? I'm 100% sure u will be walked out of that office.

44 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Nobody: 8:33am On Dec 20, 2013
I was watching the interview on channels tv and i learnt something new again from her. Self confidence is good in life oo and knowing how to put it no wonder you see her always at the top

33 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Reptyle(m): 8:33am On Dec 20, 2013
sademola: The reps should learn to be civil!

Members of the house of reps can be unruly sometimes. But I think on this occasion, the Minister should have simply accepted the questions and return in january like they asked.

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:33am On Dec 20, 2013
sademola: The reps should learn to be civil!
what is not civil abt dt?

In this case, it was ur okonjo who was acting civil...

The committe didn't prepare the questions to be answered there....she shld make it in writing and submit.

Its simple, it has been ruled. Why does she want them to over rule it? Its uncivil...

So, she shld respect the ruling as a committe empowered to make regulations regarding the matter and not try to force her opinion on them!

6 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Itoroetti(m): 8:39am On Dec 20, 2013
Bunch of educated illiterate.
They feel the hon minister will be affraid to answer their question.

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by koboko69: 8:48am On Dec 20, 2013
Itoroetti :
Educated eeediot.....Do u read to understand at all.ur head is not only meant for giving aggressive heading......its meant for thinking too!

25 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by magaliyu(f): 9:10am On Dec 20, 2013
The honourable minister gave an excuss of not feeling well,while the honourable gentlemen understand how she feel and excuss her,and now she is complaining.
This is the problem when someone is giving too much power soon she will become MINISTER WITHOUT BOADER.

29 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by enigmang: 9:27am On Dec 20, 2013
SLIDE waxie: what is not civil abt dt?

In this case, it was ur okonjo who was acting civil...

The committe didn't prepare the questions to be answered there....she shld make it in writing and submit.

Its simple, it has been ruled. Why does she want them to over rule it? Its uncivil...

So, she shld respect the ruling as a committe empowered to make regulations regarding the matter and not try to force her opinion on them!

It's actually the way the commitee chairman was talking that was very irritating. It seemed as if he had serious beef for the woman . If you watched the skit you'll know the more civilised person... You musn't raise your voice or be disrespectful to make a point.i love the way Okonjo handled the issue..

29 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Chaleeee: 9:32am On Dec 20, 2013
This shows how lazy these law-breakers can be. If NOI could be sick and still attend, then what point do these people have not to do their jobs? I bet there are some girls in their hotel rooms waiting to be serviced.

If NOI has refused to attend based on her state of health, they will be the ones to shout that she ignored the committee.

So these hons invited her and other ministers just to give her a questionnaire to be responded to in writing. Why not just send it to her office?? Don't we see house committee hearings in the US? Are the ministers told to respond in writing? Its a HEARING for crying out loud.

40 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Nobody: 9:56am On Dec 20, 2013
bandiejay: I was watching the interview on channels tv and i learnt something new again from her. Self confidence is good in life oo and knowing how to put it no wonder you see are always at the top

I like PDP and Jonathan administration for one thing that's HUMILITY and HOW HE KEEPS PROVING CRITICS WRONG on the development and improvement carried on by our President all roads from SS, SE, NE, NW MB and SW under serious construction which was neglected by these same people faulting his government thereby making the house of rep neglect there responsibility for personal gains. The Best thing to ever happen to Nigeria is GEJ and Nigerians will know that after Jonathan has finish his tenure in 2019.

18 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by bappahman: 10:12am On Dec 20, 2013
Itoroetti :
Abdulmumin attended Army Primary
School Janguza, Kano (1983 – 1986)
before moving to Command Children
School Jaji, Kaduna (1986 – 1988). He
had his secondary education at Science
Secondary School Abaji, Abuja
(1989-1992) and Bwari Secondary School,
Abuja (1992-1994)
He later proceeded for his higher
education and bagged a Bachelor’s
degree in Political Science at the
University of Abuja, Nigeria in 1999; M.sc
in International Affairs and Diplomacy at
Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria in
2003 and PhD in International Relations at
the University of Abuja Nigeria in 2009.
He also attended London Business School
2009, Harvard Business School 2010,
International Business House, London
2009 and European Institute of Business
Administration
INSEAD France, 2009 where he
graduated and obtained various
certificates in General Management,
Global Economy Crisis, Negotiation,
Competitive Decision and Deal Process,
Comprehensive Leadership Development,
International oil Trading (IBH) and
Telecommunications Strategy and
Marketing. He's presently an MBA student
at the SBS - Swiss Business School,
Zurich, Switzerland 2012 to date.
Abdulmumin is an alumnus of London and
Harvard Business School.

20 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by 1025: 10:15am On Dec 20, 2013
bandiejay: I was watching the interview on channels tv and i learnt something new again from her. Self confidence is good in life oo and knowing how to put it no wonder you see are always at the top

no wonder different ppl give different interpretations to one scene. what is self confidence here? you said you were not feeling fine and they said ok, take the questions home. the truth is that pdp has first class in corrupting ppl around them. she said she has not been sleeping in the past one week so take the questions home and study them and come back in january, what can be more humane or civil than that. it would have been wickedness if they insisted that she attend to the questions in her sick state.
madam, go home and sleep.
all of them that have been feeding fat on our public funds will soon be like micheal jackson and sleep will run away from them because they have all murdered sleep.

16 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Nobody: 10:15am On Dec 20, 2013
If u must be respected, then u shud learn to respect others first. Okonjo did nt respect the hon members at first. If u r sick, communicate such to them n ask to be excused, governance is not for sick people duh! #Hocus Pucus.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 20, 2013
Ngozi; when u a appointed to do a job, do it well.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by rexbuton: 10:25am On Dec 20, 2013
Who the fvck is okonjo iweala?
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by revolt(m): 10:34am On Dec 20, 2013
koboko69: Honourable minister...learn to respect yourself 1st. You could have written a letter or communicated in some other way about ur health for the meeting to be rescheduled if u knew u were indisposed. Making such statements to the committee is totally uncalled for..cos you are indirectly telling that if not that they are Reps...they can GO AND DIE! Or do u have a choice not to respect members of the house? If you are sick go and treat your self 1st so tmr u wouldn't come and tell u were sick when u were giving figures or answering questions....if u can't do that well GO AND DIE!

Its more like your 'oga' asking you to appear before him...on getting there ur utterances are like. Oga, I'm not feeling too well...but cos I respect u that's why came. That is totally uncalled for. WTF is that? I'm 100% sure u will be walked out of that office.
Mr man, they're not her phase, she's in a different arm of government, the executive, they're legislature. checks and balancing.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Nobody: 10:35am On Dec 20, 2013
bappahman:
Abuja (1992-1994)
Administration
Harvard Business School.

What work experience has he got? From the dates you wrote here, it does seem that our honourable never really worked! What a bunch of charlatans we have in our House of Reps! You can go to all the best schools in the world, without the requisite work experience; you are as useless as the 'p' in psychology!

26 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Brimmie(m): 11:02am On Dec 20, 2013
Very simple logic: Respect is Reciprocal.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Gamji007: 11:11am On Dec 20, 2013
tokunboh:

What work experience has he got? From the dates you wrote here, it does seem that our honourable never really worked! What a bunch of charlatans we have in our House of Reps! You can go to all the best schools in the world, without the requisite work experience; you are as useless as the 'p' in psychology!

Post your CV let's see or I will assume you are just a jobless charlatan and a failed product of the Nigerian institution. But I won't blame you for that. sad

7 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by 1MCN: 11:13am On Dec 20, 2013
bappahman:
Abuja (1992-1994)
Administration
Harvard Business School.

You didn't watch that video clip and so can never tell how courteous or cranky Jibrin spoke. Your CV for him does not help in any way. In fact, if we must accept the CV it means he was only found worthy in learning and no character by those who graduated him. Of course I don't want to embarrass you with Mrs Ngozi's CV.

17 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Nkemtreasure: 11:17am On Dec 20, 2013
Most of us just need to watch the clip before making our judgement. The woman was very polite in all her answers despite the fact that the chairman of the committee was talking in a very high and impolite tone. Please just try to watch it then don't feel ashamed to come back and modify your comments.

8 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by awodman: 11:17am On Dec 20, 2013
If not for any other thing,Okonjo Iweala is Old enough to be that brat's mother....

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by hercules07: 11:22am On Dec 20, 2013
Okonjo Iweala is lucky she is doing this in Nigeria, no Obama appointed "minister" dare try this nonsense with the US House of reps, dem no born am well. Imagine her talking to the HOR that way, well it is not her fault sha, those ones too have brought themselves low.

7 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Nobody: 11:24am On Dec 20, 2013
why cant she notify them earlier of her indisposition,so that the agreed meeting could be rescheduled,rather honouring it,and give unsatisfatory remarks.i see it feigning illness to cover for her ineptitude.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Symphony007: 11:26am On Dec 20, 2013
The way that commitee chairman spoke to the minister was most disgracefull. I bet that he does'nt have half her qualification. Where would he have seen her to speak to her like that if she was still world bank MD? You give a man small power and her thinks the world is at his feet. These are the kind of commitee chairmen that ministers like denzani maduake and stella oduah should appear before. The clash of ego's would cause an earthquake.

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Nobody: 11:28am On Dec 20, 2013
Gamji007:

Post your CV let's see or I will assume you are just a jobless charlatan and a failed product of the Nigerian institution. But I won't blame you for that. sad

smiley I laugh. If Nigeria were to be a sane country, myself and Hon. Jibrin can't even apply for the same job in the first place because he is not qualified to do what I do. I won't call you jobless or a charlatan because I don't know what you do.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by hercules07: 11:28am On Dec 20, 2013
Symphony007: The way that commitee chairman spoke to the minister was most disgracefull. I bet that he does'nt have half her qualification. Where would he have seen her to speak to her like that if she was still world bank MD? You give a man small power and her thinks the world is at his feet. These are the kind of commitee chairmen that ministers like denzani maduake and stella oduah should appear before. The clash of ego's would cause an earthquake.

Forget qualifications, the guy is a committee chairman, that is a very powerful position, though the guy maybe a third of her age, he is occupying a position of authority with the responsibility that comes with it, in sane climes, when reps talk, ministers jump.

10 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by holyvirgin: 11:29am On Dec 20, 2013
House of reps members are right for asking her to return another day since she complained of her health, but it was wrong to raise their voice @ her and finally telling her that it was not the ministry of finance where things are done her way. They should have allowed her say something knowing fully that the programme was on live television.

Insulting a minister is not the way to go about the issue and if I was madam Iweala I won't return on another day.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Synagogue: Weapon Investigator Says Collapsed Building Was Attacked / Umar Entertains Motion Seeking Self Disqualification / Igbo Would Have Been President If They Understood Nigerian Politics – Igbokwe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.