Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,379 members, 7,808,347 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - (25468 Views)

Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa / Obama's Trip To Africa Comes With A Hefty Price Tag (extra Security, Etc). / What Gaddafi's Death Means To Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by HolyHolla(m): 4:20pm On Dec 22, 2013
Let's forgive her. She has apologised and it appears she may also be paying with the loss of her job.

(CNN) reports -- "Justine Sacco, a former PR executive who sparked a firestorm of controversy on Twitter, apologized Sunday for her "needless and careless tweet" about AIDS in Africa.
In a written statement. Sacco apologized "for being insensitive to this crisis -- which does not discriminate by race, gender or sexual orientation, but which terrifies us all uniformly -- and to the millions of people living with the virus, I am ashamed."
She added that she is a native of South Africa and was upset that she had hurt so many people there.
"I am very sorry for the pain I caused," she wrote..."

""This is an outrageous, offensive comment that does not reflect the views and values of IAC," the company said. "Unfortunately, the employee in question is unreachable on an international flight, but this is a very serious matter and we are taking appropriate action."

The statement led many to believe that Sacco would be reprimanded or even terminated when she landed in South Africa..."

Read full CNN article here.

www.cnn.com/2013/12/22/world/sacco-offensive-tweet/index.html?sr=fb122213saccoapology930a
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by cap28: 4:22pm On Dec 22, 2013
anonimi:

The same way Oyos (yorubas) invaded other neighbouring longest time ago and made them pay ishakole (tax/rent) in exchange for "protection". Ditto for the fulanis who conquered the hausas and some other tribes in the north and middle belt.
Britain is ruled by a German family and has a substantial Polish population among others.
In short MOVEMENT/MIGRATION/WARS (and even genocide in the olden days) is the way of the world's HISTORY. Grow up and deal with it.

So you don't fight when you know you are not capable of winning.

Ti owo omode o ba ti te eku ida, kii bere iku to pa baba e- A child does not seek revenge against his father's murderer(s) UNTIL he becomes capable of dealing with them conclusively.

You learn to negotiate your way quietly but pragmatically as the Chinese have done for so many decades UNTIL recently.
That is the way of the wise.

There is a big difference between inter ethnic wars and wars waged by one race against the other.

Racial wars which have been waged by Europeans against Africans in one form or another for over 500 years have one aim - to ensure that Europeans and whites of European descent gain total control of all of Africa's resources to the exclusion of all Africans.

This is the reason why the entire African continent remains in a state of permanent turmoil -how do you compare that to inter ethnic wars which have a less damaging agenda.
as I have said earlier the intruding ethnic group does not set up settlements amongst the indigenous people of the land and relegate the original land owners to a position of subservience, they do not create a society which rewards people on the basis of race whilst simultaneously consigning the indigenous people to a position of sub humanity.

This however is the case in places like north America, Canada, Australia, new Zealand, south Africa , Zimbabwe ,Angola and Namibia.

Germans , British and Poles are all Europeans and are beneficiaries of white supremacy, they work as one entity against the interests of black Africans as has been demonstrated in the case of south Africa, where the dutch and british joined forces to abuse and subjugate the indigenous black south Africans. No European person or person of European descent would treat you more favourably than a pole or german. Infact the US govt treated german Nazi war criminals better than the black American soldiers who helped them defeat Nazi Germany!

If i am to follow your logic that you shouldn't fight unless you are capable of winning does that mean that you are saying that Africans should have sat back and allowed our women to be ra.ped by the European invaders, does it also mean that we should have stood by and watched while they took our able bodied men women and children and loaded them into slave ships like cattle?

Does it also mean that when they came back to colonise us we should have continued to stand by helplessly and watch while they built their govt reserved areas and excluded us from our own land?

I hope for your sake that is not what you are trying to tell me because if it is then I can only hope and pray that you do not raise any African children.

4 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by solomon111(m): 4:26pm On Dec 22, 2013
Why should i care about what an american think or say?
Those ones that don't know what is going on in the world except in their backyard.
Abegi.
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by Pokemon43(f): 4:29pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pretender!u will be suprised he is an albino
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by gidsim(m): 4:31pm On Dec 22, 2013
Nadia_SA1: A.sswipe!
real asswipe[/color][color=#000099]
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by stkris(m): 4:43pm On Dec 22, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
It pisses me off when I hear people refer to a country in Africa as Africa. Like seriously!

True. However, you constantly hear Nigerians say "I'm going to Europe", or "He is Europe based"
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by toshmann(m): 4:46pm On Dec 22, 2013
Exposé

Make una dey here de fight una selves Igbo Yoruba Hausa xtian Moslem etc de fight una selves, in the real world out there, your real enemy is just sitting down and having a drink while watching you destroy yourselves before the real battle.

This may sounding someone made a mistake but truth is this is how they take Africa and Africans. They may not say it out but this is what is in their heart. And trust me this is what guides some of their decisions in job interviews etc. they feel they are superior and Africans inferior.
Hey, before you get upset, Arabs think the same way too, Indians also think they are superior to blacks, o, Chinese feel superior too. Everyone looks down on blacks and guess what, blacks are busy fighting each other to notice.

E go better. Wetin else una wan make I talk.

1 Like

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by anonimi: 4:52pm On Dec 22, 2013
cap28:

There is a big difference between inter ethnic wars and wars waged by one race against the other.

Racial wars which have been waged by Europeans against Africans in one form or another for over 500 years have one aim - to ensure that Europeans and whites of European descent gain world wide control of all of Africa's resources to the exclusion of all Africans.

This is the reason why the entire African continent remains in a state of permanent turmoil -how do you compare that to inter ethnic wars which have a less damaging agenda.

How would you classify the ONGOING war of deprivation by the Arabs against Africans in the Darfur area of Sudan?

as I have said earlier the intruding ethnic group does not set up settlements amongst the indigenous people of the land and relegate the original land owners to a position of subservience, they do not create a society which rewards people on the basis of race whilst simultaneously consigning the indigenous people to a position of sub humanity.

The facts on the ground prove otherwise in Ilorin and the north of Nigeria based on Fulani conquest of their land.

This however is the case in places like north America, Canada, Australia, new Zealand, south Africa , Zimbabwe ,Angola and Namibia.

Germans , British and Poles are all Europeans and are beneficiaries of white supremacy, they work as one entity against the interests of black Africans as has been demonstrated in the case of south Africa, where the dutch and british joined forces to abuse and subjugate the indigenous black south Africans. No European person or person of European descent would treat you more favourably than a pole or german.

You seem to have forgotten that as RECENTLY as 70 years ago (1943) the whites were fighting a very deadly, genocidal World War 2, among themselves, which the Germans lost.

BTW, why can't we have black supremacy
I get it- because we do NOT have the capacity to DOMINATE others!
Or do you think otherwise

2 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by unmask: 4:53pm On Dec 22, 2013
am I the only one that saw "just kidding"?.....anyways I am off to benue, I hope I remain AIDS free.....and I aint kidding
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by AfroBlue(m): 4:59pm On Dec 22, 2013
IAC fires PR exec Justine Sacco over ‘racist’ tweet over AIDS
IAC’s Chief Communications Director Justine Sacco tweeted, ‘Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding. I'm white!’ on her way to Cape Town Friday. The single tweet has sparked what some are calling ‘rage donations’ to AIDS charities.

Justine Sacco, the chief communications director for IAC, may need a refresher course in...PR.

Sacco has been sacked.

Justine Sacco, the New York PR executive who sparked a global firestorm for her wildly insensitive tweet on AIDS, was fired Saturday by her bosses at media conglomerate IAC.

“There is no excuse for the hateful statements that have been made and we condemn them unequivocally,” said a rep for the company, which includes brands such as OKCupid, Vimeo, and the Daily Beast.

“The offensive comment does not reflect the views and values of IAC. We take this issue very seriously, and we have parted ways with the employee in question.”

Sacco, 30, tweeted Friday, "Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding. I'm white!" before taking off for South Africa.

But one web-savvy savant turned hate into opportunity, linking the website www.justinesacco.com to Aid for Africa, a group of nonprofits that have seen a serious spike in donations.

Justine Sacco the chief communications director for IAC tweeted "Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding. I'm white!"

By Saturday afternoon, the IAC website was scrubbed clean of all traces of Sacco.

A Twitter account claiming to be Sacco emerged early Saturday in which a person claiming to be the PR exec apologized for her racist tweet. "I'm truly sorry."

The account could not be independently verified by the Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pr-exec-justine-sacco-tweet-sparks-aids-donations-article-1.1554932
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by GentleFrank(m): 5:00pm On Dec 22, 2013
Good !
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by birdman(m): 5:12pm On Dec 22, 2013
Sacco has been sacked. Rhymes tongue
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by anonimi: 5:14pm On Dec 22, 2013
cap28:

No European person or person of European descent would treat you more favourably than a pole or german. Infact the US govt treated german Nazi war criminals better than the black American soldiers who helped them defeat Nazi Germany!

You can try but you may not succeed in telling blatant LIES just to strengthen your untenable position:

Executions

Main article: Nuremberg executions

The death sentences were carried out 16 October 1946 by hanging using the standard drop method instead of long drop. The U.S. army denied claims that the drop length was too short which caused the condemned to die slowly from strangulation instead of quickly from a broken neck.[43] But evidence remains that some of the condemned men died agonizingly slowly taking from between 14 minutes to choke to death to as long as struggling for 28 minutes.[44][45] The executioner was John C. Woods. The executions took place in the gymnasium of the court building (demolished in 1983).[46]
Although the rumor has long persisted that the bodies were taken to Dachau and burned there, they were actually incinerated in a crematorium in Munich, and the ashes scattered over the river Isar.[47] The French judges suggested that the military condemned (Göring, Keitel and Jodl) be shot dead by a firing squad, as is standard for military courts-martial, but this was opposed by Biddle and the Soviet judges, who argued that the military officers had violated their military ethos and were not worthy of death by being shot, which was considered to be more dignified.[citation needed] The prisoners sentenced to incarceration were transferred to Spandau Prison in 1947.
Of the 12 defendants sentenced to death by hanging, two were not hanged: Martin Bormann was convicted in absentia (he had, unbeknownst to the Allies, been killed while trying to escape from Berlin in May 1945), and Hermann Göring committed suicide the night before the execution. The remaining 10 defendants sentenced to death were hanged.

That was less than 70 years ago when whites were still acting as barbaric as we are doing in Africa today.

Or perhaps you have credible links showing that the US government also executed the black soldiers who fought on its side in the WW2
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by oginga: 5:20pm On Dec 22, 2013
Sometimes I feel like sticking dried pepper into the arseholes of some brain washed bigots who think the entire continent of 'Africa' is a Country.
Imagine... Someone with multiple degrees in my office thinks Nigeria is part of South Africa.
Seriously at that point I decided to give her invitation letter and free accommodation, so that she can learn from her parents mistakes and lies.
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by amiskurie(m): 5:28pm On Dec 22, 2013
I'M GOING TO AMERICA,HOPE I DON'T COMMIT SUICIDE OR GO ON A SHOOTING SPREE.

1 Like

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by onlymase(m): 5:29pm On Dec 22, 2013
idiot. please stay in you aids free country. ewobi!
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by lastmessenger: 5:29pm On Dec 22, 2013
Overnight fame with a stupid comment on twitter.blame CNN and BBC
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by walad4yhu(m): 5:36pm On Dec 22, 2013
#HasJustineLandedYet

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by LBanks(m): 5:38pm On Dec 22, 2013
But is the lady in question coming to Africa for prostitution though?? just thinking
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by addicted268(f): 5:43pm On Dec 22, 2013
Mopolchi: All that has occurred to Justine Sacco seems to be a self-fulfilling ironic prophecy. See what she tweeted on 30th of January, 2013: http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_large/public/2013/12/20/justinetweet2.jpg

She obviously has a loud-mouth.look where it landed her.her words have come to fulfilment,all she has to do is claim intoxicated while she tweeted,let's see if that can save her her job.
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by Jiggaman101: 5:45pm On Dec 22, 2013
wallflower:

No one, it originated right here in west Africa, it was transmitted from chimpanzees to humans.

Read a book.
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by Jiggaman101: 5:46pm On Dec 22, 2013
wallflower:

No one, it originated right here in west Africa, it was transmitted from chimpanzees to humans.

Read a book.

Apparently u didn't read the damn book yourself. It originated in Cameroon- Congo. Last time I checked those country are not in west Africa. It was mostly gay white men who had the disease in the first place

1 Like

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by Thomsbuky(m): 6:05pm On Dec 22, 2013
matrixme: Just what is the problem with these young American career ladies? The other day it was one gunning down an African lion and proudly uploading pictures on the internet, recently it is another dumb one who thinks AIDS fly like Mosquitoes in Africa. You would think that women of their caliber would have a better sense of places around the world. It's the fault of the sensational American media anyway, that often brings a biased picture to their TV screens. I guess they also still think most of us are slum dwellers and the rest still sew leaves as clothes.

Its powerful media world in western world.. Every christmas period media bombard citizen with radio, newspaper and television advert, showing how children in African are malnutrition, living in slum, children faces cover with flies, fetching drinking water from feaces invested river. etc Citizen are ask to donate money, to help these poor child in Africa to live better life. The Citizen actually fall for these scams every year, millions of dollars are raised by charities organization as ordinary citizen really believe these stories true.( Oyinbo scams). However money raised, tarnishing these poor african children never goes to the so call poor children, it end up with bureaucracies... The irony is who to blame ordinary African citizen ( issue raised in your report), or should we blame our African government that fail to act nor care about powerful wrong image and message been sent out to the world Its all brain washed and propaganda by western media world....as they want to maintain status quo.
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by unclebuck(m): 6:20pm On Dec 22, 2013
lol! alredy boosted with Hiv though. Africa do the finish up though
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by cold(m): 6:32pm On Dec 22, 2013
The PR executive who was summarily dismissed after her racist Tweet sparked a revolt on social media has apologised - as her own father called her a ‘f****** idioť’.

Justine Sacco said that she was ‘ashamed’ over her actions and said she had been ‘cavalier’ in making her tasteless joke about the AIDS crisis in Africa

But her father, who has not been publicly named, was more forthright and said that what she did was ‘unforgivable’.He also apparently backed the campaign to name and shame his daughter as, in an ironic twist, it emerged he moved his family from Cape Town to the US in 1994 to escape racism at the end of Apartheid.

Sacco is now thought to be holed up with her family in South Africa and will be spending Christmas coming to terms with her sudden ascent to the Internet's public enemy no.1.

Losing her job as a communications director could also mean losing her US work visa -potentially forcing her to leave America.

Sacco was fired by IAC, a major US media company which owns Match.com and Vimeo, after she sent the Tweet as she was about to board a 12-hour flight from London to Cape Town.

It read: ‘Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White!'

The post was retweeted over 3,000 times and was picked up by media outlets around the world, however Sacco remained completely unaware of it all because she was in the air.

The blonde publicist was pictured arriving in Cape Town looking shocked and talking on her phone.

Moments later the offending Tweet and Sacco's Twitter account disappeared - and IAC announced it had fired her.

Now she has apologised in a statement released to The Star, a South African newspaper.

It read: ‘My greatest concern was this statement reach South Africa first.

‘Words cannot express how sorry I am, and how necessary it is for me to apologize to the people of South Africa, who I have offended due to a needless and careless tweet.

‘There is an AIDS crisis taking place in this country, that we read about in America, but do not live with or face on a continuous basis. Unfortunately, it is terribly easy to be cavalier about an epidemic that one has never witnessed firsthand.

‘For being insensitive to this crisis -- which does not discriminate by race, gender or sexual orientation, but which terrifies us all uniformly -- and to the millions of people living with the virus, I am ashamed.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2527913/Justine-Sacco-tweet-Going-Africa-Hope-I-dont-AIDS-causes-Twitter-outrage.html
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by temitemi1(m): 6:35pm On Dec 22, 2013
She should be re-called back to her country or else she will regret coming to Africa. Nonsense!
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by mickjagger(m): 6:36pm On Dec 22, 2013
We Africans have the power and control to create,perpetuate, and maintain brutal systematic racism that oppresses white people every day. As such, we have created this handy list on how to continue this oppression;

1. Enslave their bodies.
Ship them from Germany, Sweden, and other exotic countries.
Force them to build entire cities, roads, bridges. Force them to plant and harvest all the food everyone eats. Let an entire economic system be built on their backs, with their blood and sweat. Later, deny them access to the system they have been used to build, and accuse them of being extremely lazy.

2. Steal their land.
If they were here before you, steal their land. This is essential. Basically, just go in there and take it. If you have to kill some of them to get it…no worries. If you have to kill almost all of them to get it…sh1t, no worries. After you steal their land, make sure you create laws to keep them from ever returning to it. If they try to return anyway, build fences, and let bands of POC vigilantes patrol the borders with guns. If they somehow get past the borders and into your country, no worries, you can always just deport them.

3. Enslave their minds.
From these systems, build a long lasting institution of racism until all the violence and microaggressions make many white people into suspicious people with a lot of internalized self-hatred, health problems, and mental illnesses. Then deny them access to adequate mental health care. Or, adequate health care of any kind, while you’re at it.

4. Wipe out and/or appropriate their customs.
Since many of their customs are savage and unworthy of preserving, wipe out their traditions. Sometimes wear a beret and lederhosen, because Swedish culture is really exotic even though it’s inferior to ours.

6. Call them “honky”.
As Africans, we have been rightfully accused of being racist to white people, especially when we call them “honky”. As we all know,calling them “honky” is egregiously offensive and horribly shocking because of this long, violent,racist history.

7. Just keep being terrible to them.
Do everything you can think of to make it so that white people make less money; their children are shot by cops; white women are at higher risk for assault and they are exotified until they no longer seem human; white men are beaten and thrown into jails because they look “suspicious” and “threatening”; they are racially profiled everywhere they go.

8. Make sure most representations of them in the media are negative.
They should almost always be portrayed as pasty, stringy-haired, rhythm-less, sexless, uptight, and booooring. Also, there should be very few representations of them and when they’re portrayed at all, they should always only be the comic relief, the silent exotic sex object, or the incompetent sidekick. They are only allowed to be easily forgettable, one-dimensional characters. Sometimes use POC actors in white-face to portray these white people. By presenting this ONE image of them all the time, you will be able to ensure a widespread belief in their inferiority.

9. Remember, every time a white person thinks your behavior is unfair or wrong, tell them that they should stop being so sensitive! We live in a post-reverse-racial society now! Jeez.

4 Likes

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by Nobody: 6:36pm On Dec 22, 2013
You don't have to blame her. In a situation where 25% of South Africans are living with HIV/AIDS you would be scared to reside in such environment. Another thing is that she is joking and I wonder why people have to take it seriously. However, I demand an apology from her and she should be allowed to go to Africa to do her job.

South Africans are to blame for all these trouble concerning diseases in Africa. They just refuse to change when they are usually on the role-call of the continent.

PLEASE! BLAME IT ON SOUTH AFRICANS!

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by Nobody: 6:40pm On Dec 22, 2013
walad4yhu: #HasJustineLandedYet

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1478948_Screen_20131222_173138_jpgd913f7e1257aec6720c551e6e1f83f40

Please, go talk to somebody else somewhere else. Not with those barbarians bearing spears, clubs and machetes. Who is the fool you want to murder? Bwahaha...
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by Ijuan: 6:40pm On Dec 22, 2013
"I'm going to America. Hope I don't get chopped up by a deranged serial killer!"
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by cap28: 6:46pm On Dec 22, 2013
anonimi:

You can try but you may not succeed in telling blatant LIES just to strengthen your untenable position:

That was less than 70 years ago when whites were still acting as barbaric as we are doing in Africa today.

Or perhaps you have credible links showing that the US government also executed the black soldiers who fought on its side in the WW2

WORLD WAR II'S ECHOES : The Double V Campaign
Black Soldiers Battled Fascism and Racism
Veterans Remember Bitterness of Bias-Tainted Homecomings

A few months after the Allied victory in World War II, 24-year-old Capt. Harold Montgomery returned to the General Accounting Office at Fifth and G streets NW to reclaim his old job with the U.S. Post Office Department.

Since leaving 4 1/2 years earlier, Montgomery had led a heavy weapons company of the Army's all-black 92nd "Buffalo Soldiers" Infantry Division up the western coast of Italy through barrage upon barrage of German fire. He had watched wounded men die as shrapnel sliced through the plasma bags set up to give them transfusions. He had grinned and waved as cheering residents of liberated cities pressed flowers and bottles of wine into his hands.

But when the Washington native walked into the GAO's grand, high-ceilinged lobby, it was as though time had stood still. A large plaque honoring postal employees who had served in the war did not list Montgomery or any other African American veterans, he recalled. Worse still, a personnel manager informed him that he would not receive a pay raise given to returning white soldiers.

"To hell with that," retorted Montgomery, who resolved to find a different line of work.

Today, as the dedication of the National World War II Memorial approaches, the memory of their homecoming still gives Montgomery and many other black veterans a bitter twinge. At a series of events honoring the roughly 1 million African Americans who served in the war -- part of this weekend's salute to the World War II generation -- they will recall a fight waged on two fronts: against fascism overseas and against the racist laws and attitudes that oppressed blacks at home.

African American newspapers of the time called it the "Double V Campaign." And although the victory over the Axis powers was complete, the results of the second struggle were decidedly mixed.

The nation's unparalleled need for troops gave thousands of African American soldiers, including many in noncombat service units, the chance to prove their mettle in battle and put to rest the assertion by military brass that blacks lacked the courage, discipline and intelligence to fight effectively.

But black soldiers generally received few medals for their accomplishments. They were kept in segregated units, made to sit behind German prisoners of war during USO concerts and banished from the very streets they had liberated once white nurses moved in.

For James Strawder, one of more than 2,000 black soldiers who answered Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower's call for black volunteers to replace white soldiers killed during the Battle of Bulge, the final indignity came after Germany's surrender, when the volunteers were immediately transferred back to all-black labor units as their white comrades in arms were being sent home or given more dignified assignments.

Strawder and the 200 other black volunteers at the Army post he was sent to refused to work. When their commanders threatened to court-martial and execute them for insubordination, the men marched to the stockade and dared them to go ahead.

"I had already risked death [in battle], I didn't give a john," Strawder, now 83, recalled.

The Army relented and allowed the men to return home on a ship bearing other combat troops. But President Harry S. Truman did not issue his order desegregating the military for three more years. At the war's end, Strawder saw little cause for hope.

"I was really disgusted with this country," he said. "I was angry, and I stayed angry for years."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55650-2004May25.html
Re: Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - by cap28: 7:16pm On Dec 22, 2013
mickjagger: We Africans have the power and control to create,perpetuate, and maintain brutal systematic racism that oppresses white people every day. As such, we have created this handy list on how to continue this oppression;

1. Enslave their bodies.
Ship them from Germany, Sweden, and other exotic countries.
Force them to build entire cities, roads, bridges. Force them to plant and harvest all the food everyone eats. Let an entire economic system be built on their backs, with their blood and sweat. Later, deny them access to the system they have been used to build, and accuse them of being extremely lazy.

2. Steal their land.
If they were here before you, steal their land. This is essential. Basically, just go in there and take it. If you have to kill some of them to get it…no worries. If you have to kill almost all of them to get it…sh1t, no worries. After you steal their land, make sure you create laws to keep them from ever returning to it. If they try to return anyway, build fences, and let bands of POC vigilantes patrol the borders with guns. If they somehow get past the borders and into your country, no worries, you can always just deport them.

3. Enslave their minds.
From these systems, build a long lasting institution of racism until all the violence and microaggressions make many white people into suspicious people with a lot of internalized self-hatred, health problems, and mental illnesses. Then deny them access to adequate mental health care. Or, adequate health care of any kind, while you’re at it.

4. Wipe out and/or appropriate their customs.
Since many of their customs are savage and unworthy of preserving, wipe out their traditions. Sometimes wear a beret and lederhosen, because Swedish culture is really exotic even though it’s inferior to ours.

6. Call them “honky”.
As Africans, we have been rightfully accused of being racist to white people, especially when we call them “honky”. As we all know,calling them “honky” is egregiously offensive and horribly shocking because of this long, violent,racist history.

7. Just keep being terrible to them.
Do everything you can think of to make it so that white people make less money; their children are shot by cops; white women are at higher risk for assault and they are exotified until they no longer seem human; white men are beaten and thrown into jails because they look “suspicious” and “threatening”; they are racially profiled everywhere they go.

8. Make sure most representations of them in the media are negative.
They should almost always be portrayed as pasty, stringy-haired, rhythm-less, sexless, uptight, and booooring. Also, there should be very few representations of them and when they’re portrayed at all, they should always only be the comic relief, the silent exotic sex object, or the incompetent sidekick. They are only allowed to be easily forgettable, one-dimensional characters. Sometimes use POC actors in white-face to portray these white people. By presenting this ONE image of them all the time, you will be able to ensure a widespread belief in their inferiority.

9. Remember, every time a white person thinks your behavior is unfair or wrong, tell them that they should stop being so sensitive! We live in a post-reverse-racial society now! Jeez.

nice one, sadly the irony of this post will go over the heads of many people on this thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Typhoon Nanmadol Slams Japan ( Pics, Video) / Gunfire And Explosions At Moscow Concert Hall In Russia / Russia Tells EU, NATO To Stop Arms Supplies To Ukraine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.