Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches (53516 Views)

Nigerian Churches, Others Causing Increased Witchcraft Persecution In UK – Group / Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches / Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by tellwisdom: 10:45pm On Dec 22, 2013
Op, who knows, that man could be your real father sad

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Asabeq(f): 10:46pm On Dec 22, 2013
Islam one?? Don't say what you don't know,in as much as I hate the division in christianity,I still prefer it because we only challenge each other with arguments and exchange of words(which is still being stupid)unlike Islam where the sunnis and shias and other sects setttle their differences with bomb!!
Or is there no DSTV in your house or you are too busy with soundcity and africa magic? Pls tune to Aljazeera because the muslims are always quick to tell you CNN and BBC are anti islam.

Boll2010: Christianity the most dumb religion amidst the rest......buddhism is one,Judaism is one,hinduism is one,islam is one,.......only in christainity there is no identity, they all have special doctrines and they segregate their self, you hear them saying I go to this church can't worship in this! But for islam as an example,get into the mosque,the way of ablution hasn't changed! Buddhism also its still the normal worship etc! No confluence with their believes!spits !!!! As for me na to just serve God!

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 10:48pm On Dec 22, 2013
Acidosis: Op and all those attacking tpia should please stop smoking whatever it is they're smoking. Smokers are liable to die young.

Now to you @Op..
Of course, you and I know you aren't posting the whole truth here.. I'm quiet sure you acted rudely at some point.

There is something attached to that word - Daddy. It is no pride at all..

A Pastor is supposed to be a spiritual father, right? Then calling your Pastor Daddy only signifies a cordial relationship between a father and his son/daughter..

Personally, considering my long term relationship with my Pastor, I can't imagine myself calling him by his name - Pastor abcd. Biko, don't mind me, that was how I was brought up. I recognise my elders @home and in church. I call ALL elderly men & women in Church DADDY/MUMMY
Its not about Pastors, but elders.

So dear OP, bridle your tongue! Meanwhile, I don't patronise Kingdom antagonists. Come back and post the full story or forever keep quiet...

LOL! You're even boiling, just cos your 'mother in the Lord' talked to you. na wa o

You sure say you be church member at all? grin grin

All these church goers self... na dem dey embarrass christianity grin
OP doesn't strike me as the type to be rude, so I don't really think she was rude in any way.

How does the OP's post embarrass Christianity? Which part of Christianity relays to Pastors being called Daddy and Mummy? If you don't mind calling your Pastors Daddy and Mummy, that's you! But you should understand not everyone feels comfortable doing so. I don't see how saying Pastor [Insert name here] is disrespectful at all. Is that not his title? Members of the congregation in Nigerian Churches shouldn't have to be addressing Pastors with terms they are not comfortable with. If some don't mind saying Mummy and Daddy, that's them, but other people who want to simply use "Pastor _____" should be able to do so, without being condemned in any way.

4 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by DukeNija(m): 10:48pm On Dec 22, 2013
alutacontinua: I think op is taking this too far!
I'm assuming this Pastor is actually old enough to be called daddy, u don't have to make it look like the woman has committed such an unforgivable sin! It's not right to enforce such but she clearly doesn't see it that way! I'm also assuming she's Yoruba nd we all know how much Yoruba people handle the whole 'respect' ish! IMO, you don't have to take it this personal. If you call him daddy and dt makes the wife happy, it wouldn't bite your tongue! There are some other things to be worried about than daddy or no daddy jare!

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000

The op is taking this thing too far, and i think she's too aggressive. Just my opinion.
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by DukeNija(m): 10:50pm On Dec 22, 2013
Yield:
OP doesn't strike me as the type to be rude, so I don't really think she was rude in any way.

How does the OP's post embarrass Christianity? Which part of Christianity relays to Pastors being called Daddy and Mummy? If you don't mind calling your Pastors Daddy and Mummy, that's you! But you should understand not everyone feels comfortable doing so. I don't see how saying Pastor [Insert name here] is disrespectful at all. Is that not his title? Members of the congregation in Naija shouldn't have to be addressing Pastors with terms they are not comfortable with. If some people don't mind saying Mummy and Daddy, that's them but other people who want to simply use "Pastor _____" should be able to do so, without being condemned in any way.

Op doesnt strike you as the type to be rude? Did you read all her comments and replies? or do you know her in person? undecided SMH
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Deschil: 10:51pm On Dec 22, 2013
Acidosis, tpia@ and Mintayo have so much in common; they are either the same person's moniker or they are all just coincidentally identical in their sad thinking. If tpia@ spews her evil, she dissapears and then this two come on-often quoting/supporting one another. Visit tpia@'s page and you would notice the sick game.
tpia@:

Madam, save your issues and nasty character for your so-called fiance, thanks.

I just went through your posts and discovered you have a witch nature, good for you.

Your thread is nothing more than the usual satanic attacks on christians and christianity, like I said, if you are not happy with your pastor or his wife, find somewhere else t go or sit your cranky behind at home, na by force? Just thank seun for giving you a mouth.

5 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by helenoftroy: 10:52pm On Dec 22, 2013
tpia@:

Madam, save your issues and nasty character for your so-called fiance, thanks.

I just went through your posts and discovered you have a witch nature, good for you.

Your thread is nothing more than the usual satanic attacks on christians and christianity, like I said, if you are not happy with your pastor or his wife, find somewhere else t go or sit your cranky behind at home, na by force? Just thank seun for giving you a mouth.
what is wrong wiv you these just a forum so stop being nasty or taking things personal

2 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by ojoko1(m): 10:54pm On Dec 22, 2013
tpia@ or tilapia... Specialguest has taught u some lessons. Go and ruminate on them. its not by force to be popular. Jumping from one thread to the other derailing threads.

8 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by frainc(m): 10:55pm On Dec 22, 2013
tpia@:
find another church to attend if you are annoyed.

and stop generalizing, thanks.

how old is the pastor in question? In some cultures [eg yoruba], you are expected to show respect if people are 30+ years your senior.

In any case, address people the way they want to be addressed.
will you pls shut that stinking gutter of yours you call mouth,
daddy ko diddy ni
pastor is pastor or you get lost,

must we even go to pastor befor we do things?

5 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by here: 10:57pm On Dec 22, 2013
Will be terrible thing to call 2 men dad.
I have a Dad,even if a Grandpa/Uncle trains a child he can never accept the child call him Dad even if he allows him bear his name due to most times issues of documentation.
It's a pity things people have had to live with,but again if you're not ok with 1% practice of a church or its leaders way of doing things I suggest you leave as fast as you can so you are not tempted to draw a fight and have people with relational authority over you say bad things into your life.I know God is there for you but hope you understand me
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Tallesty1(m): 10:58pm On Dec 22, 2013
Same way Our own priests don't accept sir. I was flogged during my secondary school days for saying "GOOD MORNING SIR" to a rev. Father. It is funny and foolish
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 11:01pm On Dec 22, 2013
tpia@:

Save your anger for your future hubby dear, he's the one who will be in your vicinity.

Oshi pelu iranu.
you sound pained and frustrated.

4 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 11:02pm On Dec 22, 2013
Duke_Nija:

Op doesnt strike you as the type to be rude?
She does not.

Duke_Nija: Did you read all her comments and replies?
Yes, I did. And I found nothing rude about them, just a woman standing up for herself.
The other post of hers I've read - a few months ago - was about how she has been taking care of her mother, so I know she's someone with a good head on her shoulders.

Duke_Nija: or do you know her in person? undecided SMH
Not at all.

2 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 11:03pm On Dec 22, 2013
Jesus himself goes by his name soo........ undecided

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by TeetoEsq(m): 11:04pm On Dec 22, 2013
For this naija Wetin we never see or hear? A lot of people go to church because of the pastor in the church...they worship pastors as if these fellow men are God. Daddy/mummy is not a big deal in our churches....
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by claremont(m): 11:06pm On Dec 22, 2013
Tpia has a point.

A religious follower can choose to refer to his/her religious leader as he/she pleases. If you are not comfortable calling him Daddy, you can stick to calling him Pastor. Personally, I don't see what this issue is all about. Whether you call him a Pastor, Daddy, Mummy, Father e.t.c, it doesn't take anything away from you. In some cultures in Nigeria, referring to an elderly person as Daddy or Mummy is seen as a sign of respect, so this issue shouldn't only be viewed within the context of religion.

Africans and religion sef!

8 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Nobody: 11:07pm On Dec 22, 2013
@op,I don learn from you today.You humble.God bless your marriage because for say na me,that marriage fit know hold for that church again....I for don use bad mouth send that woman to hell angry.Daddy gini??nsi ju ya onu!!

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by specialguest(f): 11:09pm On Dec 22, 2013
Duke_Nija:

Op doesnt strike you as the type to be rude? Did you read all her comments and replies? or do you know her in person? undecided SMH

Are you in any way related to tpia@ or is this her other moniker? Because I understand your anger is stemming from the replies I gave her.

if I was rude I would not have tendered my "reserved" apology to the pastor"s wife after she complained.

2 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Snoggy(m): 11:11pm On Dec 22, 2013
Most people in my church are hypocrites. They go around calling pastors Daddy, Mummy, yet they are utterly disrespectful to their own biological parents. Who are they fooling? grin

Hypocrites! God is interested in what's within.

You see fellowship presidents in tertiary institutions being referred to as Papa! ...and their fellow students would rush to hold their Bibles.
LMAO!

2 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by ramalot(m): 11:12pm On Dec 22, 2013
smiley
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by specialguest(f): 11:13pm On Dec 22, 2013
Yield:
She does not.

Yes, I did. And I found nothing rude about them, just a woman standing up for herself.
The other post of hers I've read - a few months ago - was about how she has been taking care of her mother, so I know she's someone with a good head on her shoulders.

Not at all.

smiley

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by DukeNija(m): 11:24pm On Dec 22, 2013
specialguest:

Are you in any way related to tpia@ or is this her other moniker? Because I understand your anger is stemming from the replies I gave her.

if I was rude I would not have tendered my "reserved" apology to the pastor"s wife after she complained.

You need to work on your sarcasm. You attacked her which was very uncalled for. she gave her opinion and you went straight for her person without recourse. Funny enough im not in support of calling pastors "Daddy and Mummy" SMH @ YOU NOT BEING ABLE TO DISSECT ISSUES WITHOUT PERSONA DEFAMATION AND NAME CALLING, SAME THING YOU DID TO EVERY ONE WHO MADE AN OPPOSING COMMENT.
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by afroxyz: 11:26pm On Dec 22, 2013
My only annoyance is that you could not stand your ground there, and you are now coming to Nairaland to complain. You would have told her you don't believe in such!
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by toshmann(m): 11:30pm On Dec 22, 2013
Snoggy:
You see fellowship presidents in tertiary institutions being referred to as Papa! ...and their fellow students would rush to hold their Bibles.
LMAO!

does this really happen or you guys are just making mouth? bc i been school for naija o, i never saw this. . . . .. ooops, i rarely went to fellowship anyways. . . . . only when a cutie invites me cool
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by drnairalov: 11:32pm On Dec 22, 2013
Lol ...daz small nah. I rememba back in my skul dayz...dey appointed ma mate as d assistant pastor of ma fellowship..of course since he was d fellowship A.pastor a certain ammount of respect was to b given to him... Na so I meet d guy for one conference oo..I greet am wel den decided to shake his hands...he resisted sumhow den shaked. After shaking he looked at me and was like " OV u don't shake people who re higher than u first, U let them shake U first" I was dumb founded,my mate ooo, person wey I fit slap outside, just because dey don make u pastor, u re higher than ur members. I wanted to insult him but I let it slide..make I no insult Pastor SmH... Members re d cause of dis.. Cos dey giv pastors too much respect.

I remembr goin to one summit also as a student den,, I was close to d pastor so I stayed in d pastors lodge.. D membas automatically thought I was a pastor... Dey knelt down to serve me food or juice..I started feelin fly small small self, d way dey greeted me ehn..I thought I was also a miracle worker lol!!..respect is gud but its reali gettn out of hand smh!!!

2 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by uchrikk(m): 11:32pm On Dec 22, 2013
I advise you try your best to address people the way they want to be addressed. It won't take anything away from you. In fact, it portrays you as someone who had a noble upbringing.
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Gwizatasie: 11:34pm On Dec 22, 2013
Daddy ko Mummy ni.....when him no be my papa angry angry grin grin grin grin
Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by DECOtech(m): 11:34pm On Dec 22, 2013
fijiano202: madam thats kinda harsh,she was just pouring out her heart,you dont have to give that kinda advice or are u jealous she went with her fiancee? God will provide ur own soon
Amen oh! ...God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by Asabeq(f): 11:39pm On Dec 22, 2013
Attacking the catholic faith can never be equated to the foolishness of your pentecostal churches!!

ramalot: Mummy, Daddy n shittt. All NONSENSE!

come to think about it though, the catholic church has been doing this for centuries.
catholic priests are addressed as "Father". Father = Daddy. tongue

1 Like

Re: The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches by amazing2013: 11:40pm On Dec 22, 2013
tpia@, nobody sought your opinion!
Mintayo: Seriously,i do not believe the Op!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

A Rapist, Cultist And Robber Confesses At TB Joshua's Church (photos) / Hope: Transformed By Anja Ringgren Loven After Being Accused Of Witchcraft / Benson Idahosa Boasts Of Raising The Dead (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.