Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,008 members, 7,806,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:09 AM

Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office (15031 Views)

Were To Writw Cover Letter Before Attached It / Is My Excuse For Not Writing A Resignation Letter Tenable? / Please Help With Guidelines In Writing A Resignation Letter. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 7:25am On Dec 22, 2013
Is it necessary to write a resignation letter before you stop work in an office, or should you just stop going to work or verbally tell them you are leaving etc, if you say its necessary then why, please no immature comments, i really need this, thanks in advance
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by psucc(m): 8:19am On Dec 22, 2013
You must give at least 3months notice before the effective date or forgo a months salary in lieu of notice. It is the law. Else, if your employer is a gullible type, he may sue you and make claims.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Bunker1(m): 9:13am On Dec 22, 2013
for me tell them that you are no more working for them that day you are leaving...if you give them notice in time their altitude towards you will change... some may like to set you up.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by daa1(m): 11:53am On Dec 22, 2013
Depend on what is written your employment letter. Some organization you need to give a month notice, a proper organization 3months notice and in case there was none in your letter of employment which is common with Nigeria employers resign after you have collect you pay cheque(most doesn't pay if you notify them b4 your salary is paid) so be wise.

12 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by mauricerex: 12:11pm On Dec 22, 2013
Hmm I see, well as 4 me I will not write any damn letter just In case I realize what I have done
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by stelaar(m): 12:18pm On Dec 22, 2013
Depending on the office...I'll say apply for leave of absence and if you find your new job stormy, quietly retreat back lol...sadly a friend left a good govt job for another but for the fact of secrecy on the salary scale the first alert was shocking on the new job which turned out to be lower than the previous...the sad thing...the person resigned...now the person is crying a river and wishing to return.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by asquaredz(m): 12:22pm On Dec 22, 2013
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by appleton: 12:22pm On Dec 22, 2013
It is necessary to write a resignation letter. It makes it formal. You can send it to the HR in hard or soft copy n den disappear.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 12:26pm On Dec 22, 2013
I'm leaving my lecturing job in March because I'm relocating to the US and I intend to give them one month notice. Hope this is right?

3 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by lekezino(m): 12:30pm On Dec 22, 2013
it doesnt matter
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 22, 2013
is like this trend is for me.. cos am planing of quitting my job soon... as 4 me i am planing of resigning within 24hours....

2 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:52pm On Dec 22, 2013
Writing a resignation letter is to show responsibility & respect for the organisation. It's a formal way of saying goodbye.
Last Bullet:
Organisations may pick offence if you fail to notify them before quiting. Verbal notification is not always honoured.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Businesstools(m): 12:53pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pipsland78: I'm leaving my lecturing job in March because I'm relocating to the US and I intend to give them one month notice. Hope this is right?
Lecturing or teaching? If it's the former, I think you should make an arrangement with the school to take up your job whenever you return rather than resigning.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 22, 2013
in a formal,and organized environment,you need to write a resignation letter with a month notification,else you will be charged with breach of contract,and your sorry azz would be sued.
It depends on your mode of employment,if you were employed verbally,with no formal document,you can quit verbally,if your were employed with all those document signing,do the honourable thing by notifying the organization formally.

This is because you can reference them in your CV.

9 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by damoobaba: 1:04pm On Dec 22, 2013
In my former place of work(school),they have ways of punishing staff by deducting frm their salary for any little misdemeanour(offence).After some of the teachers collected their salaries in october,abt five college teachers including me jst took off without notifying d management.They begged some of us to come back bt it was too late.Also many students left d school because d teachers dat left were d very ones dat run d school. Lesson: respect ur workers if u want them to respect ur organization.What goes around comes around.

9 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 1:09pm On Dec 22, 2013
damoobaba: In my former place of work(school),they have ways of punishing staff by deducting frm their salary for any little misdemeanour(offence).After some of the teachers collected their salaries in october,abt five college teachers including me jst took off without notifying d management.They begged some of us to come back bt it was too late.Also many students left d school because d teachers dat left were d very ones dat run d school. Lesson: respect ur workers if u want them to respect ur organization.What goes around comes around.
you cant try that in some organization,most especially if the organization incurred cost of retraining you. Some even give stipulated time,you can even think of leaving them.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 1:12pm On Dec 22, 2013
Last time a resigned my job, i tendered a resignation given dem a month notice. I still worked with with dem to train who took up my role. this is the best way to leave ur employer who has done one or two things in your life. Leave in honorably way is the best.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Chiefpriest1(m): 1:14pm On Dec 22, 2013
I think it is important to always give factual information on this forum. You don't write a resignation letter out of respect or just to say goodbye. It is mandatory in a formal setting. In fact,your employment letter will always indicate your mode of exit from an organisation. If you or your employer in case of a sack do not adhere to it,any of the parties can sue. Usually,it is one month in lieu of notice. Meaning that if you abruptly leave the company without notice,you 'll forfeit your one month salary to the company. If its the coy sacking abruptly,they pay you the equivalent of your next month salary in lieu of notice. However,in semi-formal settings,especially in one-man businesses where the rules are not written and there is no standard operating procedure(sop),you can enquire from any senior colleague that you are close to,how those that left before you did it

4 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Xtaceeey: 1:19pm On Dec 22, 2013
byne: is like this trend is for me.. cos am planing of quitting my job soon... as 4 me i am planing of resigning within 24hours....

4d love of GOD its thread not trend...

@OP jst tender a letter even if its a day notice, its jst being formal nd responsible. U myt need dia reference someday.. So make it official. God bless

2 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 22, 2013
psucc: You must give at least 3months notice before the effective date or forgo a months salary in lieu of notice. It is the law. Else, if your employer is a gullible type, he may sue you and make claims.

What about Casual staffs?
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 22, 2013
psucc: You must give at least 3months notice before the effective date or forgo a months salary in lieu of notice. It is the law. Else, if your employer is a gullible type, he may sue you and make claims.
R u sure abt d 3mths notice? Bt dts if u r workin in a standard organizatn, 2mi it depends on d kind of setup/org u r wrkin 4
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by 1stola: 1:26pm On Dec 22, 2013
person never get better job una dey talk of resigning. undecided
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 1:27pm On Dec 22, 2013
daa1: Depend on what is written your employment letter. Some organization you need to give a month notice, a proper organization 3months notice and in case there was none in your letter of employment which is common with Nigeria employers resign after you have collect you pay cheque(most doesn't pay if you notify them b4 your salary is paid) so be wise.

Fact
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 1:29pm On Dec 22, 2013
stelaar: Depending on the office...I'll say apply for leave of absence and if you find your new job stormy, quietly retreat back lol...sadly a friend left a good govt job for another but for the fact of secrecy on the salary scale the first alert was shocking on the new job which turned out to be lower than the previous...the sad thing...the person resigned...now the person is crying a river and wishing to return.
Hw come he didnt knw d salary of the new job b4 goin in2 it?
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pipsland78: I'm leaving my lecturing job in March because I'm relocating to the US and I intend to give them one month notice. Hope this is right?
If its a govt or a serious minded private institutn, 2mi its fine bt if na 1 of these mushrum private institutns, a week or days or jst disappear sef else u r on a lng tin
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 22, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: Writing a resignation letter is to show responsibility & respect for the organisation. It's a formal way of saying goodbye.
Last Bullet:
Organisations may pick offence if you fail to notify them before quiting. Verbal notification is not always honoured.
U'v a point bt stl depends on d standard of d org
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 1:35pm On Dec 22, 2013
Businesstools: Lecturing or teaching? If it's the former, I think you should make an arrangement with the school to take up your job whenever you return rather than resigning.
Bt he said relocatin?
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 1:36pm On Dec 22, 2013
Yomieluv: in a formal,and organized environment,you need to write a resignation letter with a month notification,else you will be charged with breach of contract,and your sorry azz would be sued.
It depends on your mode of employment,if you were employed verbally,with no formal document,you can quit verbally,if your were employed with all those document signing,do the honourable thing by notifying the organization formally.

This is because you can reference them in your CV.
Gud 1
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 1:37pm On Dec 22, 2013
Charlesamino:
If its a govt or a serious minded private institutn, 2mi its fine bt if na 1 of these mushrum private institutns, a week or days or jst disappear sef else u r on a lng tin
It's federal govt...
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 1:39pm On Dec 22, 2013
Yomieluv: you cant try that in some organization,most especially if the organization incurred cost of retraining you. Some even give stipulated time,you can even think of leaving them.
Dts if documents were involved nah, wch justifies ma response dt it depends on d stndard of d org
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 1:48pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pipsland78:
It's federal govt...
Its ok then, jst follow wat's stipulated on ur appointmt leta btw, hop ur relocatn worth am sha leavin a federal govt job wey pple dey find 4 d US

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

. / N-power, NG Remains Committed To A Fair And Transparent Process. / Things You Should Look Out For Before Taking A Job At A Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.