Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

Why Ask About Mileage - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Why Ask About Mileage (1329 Views)

SOLD!!!011 Toyota Camry LE... Nice Alloy Rims, Low Mileage. @ 1.7m / xtra clin TOKS 2004 C Class Kompressor(full option)72k mileage / Toyota Avalon 08 (reg) 82k mileage 4 Quick Sale (Price Reduced) 2m Super Clean (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Ask About Mileage by koolkesh(m): 10:49am On Aug 02, 2008
Dear Nairalanders, correct me if am wrong but why do people here consistently ask about mileage when we are all fully aware that it can be change(tuned) to suit any buyers mind.I believe there is no point decieving ourselves most cars brought from cotonou has their mileage tampered with already.If there is a way to know cars that their mileage has been tampered with please anyone with that knowledge can share it with us but if there isnt i strongly believe there is no point with the whole Mileage issue.Thanks
Re: Why Ask About Mileage by Nobody: 11:10am On Aug 03, 2008
Kesh, I agree with you 100%.

I buy cars based on their condition, at the time of inspection.
Mileage has never been one of my considerations.

My car has covered over 213,000 miles now, and still going strong.
I have a number of clients with cars that have "supposedly" covered between 80,000 - 100,000 miles, that I've had to rebuild their engines.

Low mileage? It's the biggest con the automobile industry has ever seen.
And oddly enough, it's fed by people who insist on low mileage!
Re: Why Ask About Mileage by koolkesh(m): 2:29pm On Aug 03, 2008
Thanks Siena for sharing your own view and experience.
Re: Why Ask About Mileage by blkmum700: 4:31pm On Aug 03, 2008
@poster if you want to know the milleage has been change,just ask for the VIN and check it online its very easy to check
Re: Why Ask About Mileage by Nobody: 4:58pm On Aug 03, 2008
blkmum700:

@poster if you want to know the milleage has been change,just ask for the VIN and check it online its very easy to check

That's true to a point.

There's no law that states a car must be serviced at a dealership, where the mileage is logged each time.

Besides, it all depends on where the car was, when the mileage was doctored.
Re: Why Ask About Mileage by Nobody: 7:09pm On Aug 03, 2008
Can u tamper with Digital odometers?, i fell its d manual counters dat can be rolled bac
Re: Why Ask About Mileage by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 03, 2008
babs2aroks:

Can u tamper with Digital odometers?, i fell its d manual counters that can be rolled bac

Digital odometers can be altered.

With the right software. As long as binary codes are not a mystery to you. . .
Re: Why Ask About Mileage by earthrealm(m): 9:00pm On Aug 03, 2008
anything is possible under the sun!!,
digital odometers can be tampered with,
but i disagree wit sienna, mileage is an important factor in a cars life, but it shudnt be the most important, it shud just b used as a double chk,
most cars are rated to last upto 300k miles, thats the toyota standard b4 u talk of changing the engine, but i hv heard of cars with less than 8k miles hving engine troubles, it all depends on how the engine was broken in/maintainance
Re: Why Ask About Mileage by jpphilips(m): 3:36pm On Aug 12, 2008
@ siena

digital odometer roll back aint easy @ all
if you have seen or heard about these softwares tell us so we can check
it out.
i am strongly contesting the veracity of you info
Re: Why Ask About Mileage by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 12, 2008
jp philips:

@ siena

digital odometer roll back aint easy @ all
if you have seen or heard about these softwares tell us so we can check
it out.
i am strongly contesting the veracity of you info

I have used the software in dealerships.

A car that has the instrument cluster replaced due to malfunction, must have the new cluster programmed to suit.

So, I'm not going by hearsay, I'm speaking from experience.
The cluster in modern cars can be interrogated, and each level has a specific code to modify different sections - mileage, country code, metric or imperial, fuel / temperature gauge calliberation, tacho pulses (I4, V6, V8, V10 engines) etc.

Obviously, for ethical reasons, I won't go into detail of reading block values for odometer rollback / forward.
Re: Why Ask About Mileage by ziontrain: 9:09pm On Aug 12, 2008
Siena, bottomline is that re-programming digital odometer ain't easy.

I totally disagree that mileage is not important. It is not everything but it is very, very important. If not, why do people re-set odometer?

Secondly, let's agree that it is not mandatory to service your car in a garage that is connected to the odometer recording system, why would you want to buy a car that's being serviced by quacks who are not connected to such system? Do you know how much it costs to do just basic service of a car like toyota corolla with a registered dealer in the US.? About $30!! So, is it then wise to to leave genuine dealership and service your car with quacks to save some money? I don't think so.

Basically, a seller that is not willing to provide VIN number should be viewed  with suspicion. Mileage and service history of a vehicle can be tracked via the VIN. By the way, in the US, it is a criminal offence for a car dealer to advertize a car for sale without VIN number. That tells you how important the VIN number is.
Re: Why Ask About Mileage by lexicon(m): 10:34pm On Aug 12, 2008
ummm. i strogly beleif what seun has said about Digital odometre. I have xperienced one
Re: Why Ask About Mileage by debosky(m): 2:15am On Aug 13, 2008
mileage should not be over-emphasised, but still is a very important criterion in buying a used vehicle.

Manufacturers recommend major services such as changing of timing belts, struts, wheel bearings and the like after specific mileages have been reached. Now If I was interested in buying a car and using it for a year and its mileage was high enough that it might require major items of service in the next few months, then it might be a bad buy for me.

In addition, mileage cannot just be taken at face value - 100,000miles in Japan means a car is completely finished, since they don't do much highway driving, but in the US, 100k is still pretty good, given the larger proportion of highway driving. The 'nature' of the miles is also something to consider if you can get much info on that - if the greater proportion of the car mileage was on the highway, then less wear and tear is likely to have been exerted on the car, compared to if all that mileage was racked up by city driving.

look at all features of a vehicle before making a decision.
Re: Why Ask About Mileage by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 13, 2008
Debo, spot-on.

(1) (Reply)

Mercedes-benz 2629ak / D 5-month used 08 Accord is so sold bought & possessed. / Mercedes-benz: C Amg Sport Automatic 1998 Gray Metallic: Js-px-45 Spec

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.