Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians (2121 Views)

Danger Waiting For All Christians In The University / Private Jet Is A Necessity And Not A Luxury - Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor / Christian Weapons Of Warfare (8 Powerful Weapons All Christians Must Use)! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Oluwatola5(f): 12:00pm On Dec 24, 2013
Brokeness is one of the essential ingredients that makes up a true christian. It is one that is required of anyone who calls himself/herself a born-anew christian. Unfortunately, there is a missing link between most christians and brokeness.

To start with, brokeness is the state of being totally humble, dead to the flesh, suppressing your self-will and total surrendering to the will of God. Brokeness is a state of self-denial and taking to the instructions from the Holy Spirit(Psalm 51:17). It is also not acting out of your natural intution, but rather listening to the guidiance of the Spirit of Truth. A lot of christians today talk more of tithing, giving offering, praying, grace, faith and all that but majority of us shy away from the issue of brokeness. Also many think brokeness is just the opposite of pride, and since they arent proud, then they are broken, but how mistaken are they.

The disciples were first called ''christians'' in the church in Antioch, not because they introduced themselves formally, but because it was perceived maybe based on how they related with people, how they talked, dressed or maybe more. But what do we have today? The reverse is the case.

Taking Nairaland christians as a microcosm of what is happening in christiandom today, i just SMH when i come across some ''christians'' who are way too vituperative in attacking their fellow christians and non-christians. Then i just wonder about what happened to christian maturity.

Even in some christian threads, the way some so-called christians lambast others will only make you marvel. And we want to minister to others forgetting that we are being watched on the double. This is just an admonition on some of us character. It would indeed be a great delight if our christian brothers and sisters can check their excesses. Suppress your desires to torture others with words, not because you are being fOOlish, but because you see yourself as a mature christian.

Having said all this, in the world at large now, let us make it a daily routine to check our words,actions and dealing with others. Peter taught us so much about Christians interpersonal relationship among christians in 1Pet 5: 1-4, also Paul taught us in Roman 12:3-21. Also christians living among non-christians was throughly taught by Paul and Peter respectively in Rom15: 1-2 and 1Pet2:3-25. Remember we are all going to give account of it on the last day. The bible tells us that all idle words will be accounted for on the last day. The bible further urged us to be as gentle as a dove and as wise as a serpent. We should learn not to follow the law that says ''an eye for an eye'' if truely we believe we have been redeemed from the curse of the law. It isnt stu.pidity on your path, its just you remembering you have gone past gratifying the desires of the flesh. Thanks smiley

May God bless us richly, may His grace continually assist to run this race well to the end and finally may me be counted worthy to make heaven and even be crowned. Amen.

3 Likes

Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Tolexander: 12:44pm On Dec 24, 2013
Ride on pastress!
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Danhumprey: 1:26pm On Dec 24, 2013
Preach it,sister.

By the way,you should use colon ":",not semi-colon ";" in your topic. smiley
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Danhumprey: 1:27pm On Dec 24, 2013
Now,I know why you've been so hardlined and stubborn toward me. sad
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by ashhascash: 1:27pm On Dec 24, 2013
The services of God are of a broken spirit, a broken nd a contrite heart.
Hope i quoted it well wink
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by jaryeh(m): 1:30pm On Dec 24, 2013
Good! May God help us.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in advance to you all
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Oluwatola5(f): 1:31pm On Dec 24, 2013
Tolexander: Ride on pastress!
For where I havent gotten there ooo, ejhoor.
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Oluwatola5(f): 1:32pm On Dec 24, 2013
Danhumprey: Preach it,sister.

By the way,you should use colon ":",not semi-colon ";" in your topic. smiley
Thanks for the observation and the correction, i bet you are a good studentwink

1 Like

Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Oluwatola5(f): 1:34pm On Dec 24, 2013
Danhumprey: Now,I know why you've been so hardlined and stubborn toward me. sad
OMG!!!!! Must you bring this to NL sad
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Oluwatola5(f): 1:35pm On Dec 24, 2013
jaryeh: Good! May God help us.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in advance to you all
Amen, same to you dear bubble gum smiley
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Oluwatola5(f): 1:38pm On Dec 24, 2013
ashhascash: The services of God are of a broken spirit, a broken nd a contrite heart.
Hope i quoted it well wink
Quite close.....Psalm51:17a '' the sacrifices of God are a broken spirit:a broken and a contrite heart''.
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Danhumprey: 1:41pm On Dec 24, 2013
Oluwatola5: OMG!!!!! Must you bring this to NL sad
Sorry! I couldn't help it! sad
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Oluwatola5(f): 1:43pm On Dec 24, 2013
Danhumprey: Sorry! I couldn't help it! sad
No qualms, i only run away from NL scandals, you know me for that....lipsrsealed
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Danhumprey: 1:48pm On Dec 24, 2013
Oluwatola5: No qualms, i only run away from NL scandals, you know me for that....lipsrsealed
I do. Was that why you are hardlined and stubborn to me? Why didn't you tell me since? sad
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Oluwatola5(f): 1:54pm On Dec 24, 2013
Danhumprey: I do. Was that why you are hardlined and stubborn to me? Why didn't you tell me since? sad
No, common, i was referring to you bringing up this topic on NL the other time, and for this question above, it has every right to remain personal, and i think you will agree with that.smiley
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by ashhascash: 4:02pm On Dec 24, 2013
Oluwatola5: Quite close.....Psalm51:17a '' the sacrifices of God are a broken spirit:a broken and a contrite heart''.
Owk tanx Empress.
At least i hav learnt a new bible quote.
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Gombs(m): 5:02pm On Dec 24, 2013
Brokenness?

Hmmm OP, please find another word to use.... brokenness ( the right spelling) has alot to do with negetivities, and as such I don't subscribe to it. Use another noun instead of brokenness or another kind of adjective pls.

And I'd have to call your attention to your second paragraph. It was somewhat ironic.... brokenness meaning dead to the flesh, self denied, surrendering to God etc... those for me are meekness, humility and patience. Why u chose to call them brokenness is a mystery to me.

However, excusing the topic "brokeness", your write up was stupendous. God bless you
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 24, 2013
@op, Amen to your prayer....Nice one there, your post was great and inspiring and it made me remember when we were taught the topic in the search the scriptures. God bless you abundantly for that and may His grace be sufficient for you.
@we the readers and viewers, the main thing isn't about reading or viewing the topic, the main thing is to apply this in our daily life both on NL and out of NL.
Happy Xmas to us all and a Happy New Year in advance to us all.
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 24, 2013
Broke people always think they have an opinion.
Re: Brokeness: A Necessity For All Christians by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 24, 2013
Gombs:
Hm OP, please find another word to use.... brokenness has lot to do with negetivities, and as such I don't subscribe to it.
It was somewhat ironic.... brokenness meaning dead to the flesh, self denied, surrendering to God etc... those for me are meekness, humility and patience. Why u chose to call them brokenness is a mystery to me.
Nice observation sir, the literal meaning of `brokenness' is different from what the op is saying. It may seem that broken means negativity or evil, but according to the word of God, it is essential for someone to be broken. You must know sir, that humility, patience, love and the remaining fruits of the spirit has to do with brokenness, but not only that a broken Christian goes beyond that, he has to be a child of God, he has to be filled with the Holy Spirit...I would want you sir to read the op's post again so as to get a clearer view of the message she's trying to pass across. God bless you sir...#shalom#

(1) (Reply)

Why Do You Worship God? / SERMON JOTTERS: Tragedy Of Wasted Opportunities / What's If It's All Been A Lie? (God Vs Lucifer)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.