Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,230 members, 7,807,764 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

Did Jesus Christ Contradict Himself? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Christ Contradict Himself? (1205 Views)

List: 30 Pairs Of Bible Verses That Contradict One Another / Bible Contradict Science By Dr Zakr Naik / Are Christians in Conflict or Does the Bible Contradict Itself? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jesus Christ Contradict Himself? by paulipopo(m): 7:42am On Aug 03, 2008
I posted a topic sometime in may titled seeming contradiction in the Bible in which I raised the question was Jesus Christ contradicting himself?

what prompted my asking the question was that Jesus Christ once said of all men born of a woman there is none as great as John the Baptist and yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than him. Then Jesus Christ also told another parable about Lazarus and a certain rich man in which Lazarus was described as being in the bossom of Abraham in heaven. Having said this John the baptist is therefore greater than Abraham who was born of a woman but Abraham who let's assume is the least in the kingdom of heaven is also greater than John the Baptist.

This was my observation. There were only two replies to that post and the one that attempted to answer the question gave a totally out of the point answer when he said Abraham is not a member of the kingdom of heaven since Kingdom means Government and the government in heaven comprises God the father, God the Son and God the Holy spirit.

A kingdom is a territory controlled or ruled by a king whereas a government is an institution that preserves the wellbeing of people within a defined territory. Therefore Abraham is a member of the Kingdom of heaven which implies one of the following:

1. Jesus Christ was Contradicting himself
2. He was trying to puzzle his disciples or
3. There is some unexplained answer to the question
Re: Did Jesus Christ Contradict Himself? by olabowale(m): 2:38pm On Aug 04, 2008
@Deepzone, etc: Why are you avoiding a thread that is tailored for a potentially hearty discussion? I am waiting and dont disappoint me.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Contradict Himself? by italo: 10:36pm On Aug 04, 2008
my dear brother, the Bible is not a story book or a text book, you can not understand the Bible without the Grace of God. B4 u read d Bible, believe it, pray 2 God 2 open ur eyes. Remember the Lord, Jesus Christ said, Father, i thank you for hiding these things from the wise and revealing them to mere children. these tells u that it is not reading the Bible that makes you understand it but your mindset. your mind must be set as that of a child who believes everything the parent says. besides coming back to the part of the bible that you read,

IS ABRAHAM A MAN? of course not. think.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Contradict Himself? by huxley(m): 10:39pm On Aug 04, 2008
italo:

my dear brother, the Bible is not a story book or a text book, you can not understand the Bible without the Grace of God. B4 u read d Bible, believe it, pray 2 God 2 open your eyes. Remember the Lord, Jesus Christ said, Father, i thank you for hiding these things from the wise and revealing them to mere children. these tells u that it is not reading the Bible that makes you understand it but your mindset. your mind must be set as that of a child who believes everything the parent says. besides coming back to the part of the bible that you read,

How about this for an answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOKD6xzw8DY
Re: Did Jesus Christ Contradict Himself? by ursolution: 11:58pm On Aug 04, 2008
Dear friend,
Jesus did not at all contradict himself in any of His statements in the scriptures. If you really want to know the meaning of His words don't read the scriptures like you are reading a newspaper or other books. God inspired apostle paul in one of his letters to the corinthians and he said ''The letter kills but it is the spirit that gives life". The Holy spirit is the one that intepretes the word of God as the bible says He searches the deep things of God and reveals them to us. Another thing about the word of God is that it may be instructing you on things concerning your own life.The scriptures is useful for correction, reproof and instruction in righteousness (2Tim3:16). In a nutshell whenever you read any thing in the word of God, look at the situations that surrounds it, then look into your own life. If you can't still connote a meaning to it, then get back to the owner of the scripture. By the way are you born again?
Re: Did Jesus Christ Contradict Himself? by AKO1(m): 12:03am On Aug 05, 2008
Lazarus was described as being in the bossom of Abraham in heaven.

Is that in your bible? wink

Abraham who let's assume is the least in the kingdom of heaven is also greater than John the Baptist.

What is the basis of this assumption? The bible in Matt. 11:11 didnt state any characteristics of the least in the kngdom so which are you profering? I genuinly want to learn.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Contradict Himself? by olabowale(m): 5:51pm On Aug 07, 2008
@Ursolution:

Dear friend,
Jesus did not at all contradict himself in any of His statements in the scriptures. If you really want to know the meaning of His words don't read the scriptures like you are reading a newspaper or other books.
How would you read a book except from its exact wording. The christians never cease to amase me in their strange twist, when it comes to Jesus. When it comes to reading the old Testament where my lord speaks to my lord, you apply literal reading, word for word. But when it comes to mark 12 verse 29, i bet you will change up and suddenly recall there is a holy spirit, who helps in Biblical understanding.

God inspired apostle paul in one of his letters to the corinthians and he said ''The letter kills but it is the spirit that gives life".

The ispiration is more like it came from the ungodly spirit, since paul was 180 degrees from what Jesus said. How about the Trinity (meaning Three (3)) for example. Tell me where Jesus listed that he is one of a three entity that makes up One God? Tell me where he says that He is God Almighty? Tell me where he says that he is a partner to God, or equal without any diminishing in authority with God?

The Holy spirit is the one that intepretes the word of God as the bible says He searches the deep things of God and reveals them to us.

Then whats the name of this phantom holy spirit? You gave son, Jesus as a name, the n father as Jehovah or yahweh. Whats holy spirit personal name, if you are honest to yourself? Tell the holy spirit to interprete Mark 12 Verse 29, and, there are three that witness in heaven verse? I wanna read the interpretation from the holy spirit, as he gives it to you! I bet that he will twist mark 12 verse 29 and simple read verbatim the three that witness in heaven verse. The inconsistences of your holy spirit is abhorrence.

Another thing about the word of God is that it may be instructing you on things concerning your own life.The scriptures is useful for correction, reproof and instruction in righteousness (2Tim3:16). In a nutshell whenever you read any thing in the word of God, look at the situations that surrounds it, then look into your own life. If you can't still connote a meaning to it, then get back to the owner of the scripture. By the way are you born again?

I ask you first: lol. Are you a born, again? Then interprete the total Bible or just read it straight as it is written. Otherwise you are playing footsie with information, just to please your own idea, regardless of the truth or falacy.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Contradict Himself? by paulipopo(m): 10:18pm On Aug 07, 2008
ursolution:

Dear friend,
Jesus did not at all contradict himself in any of His statements in the scriptures. If you really want to know the meaning of His words don't read the scriptures like you are reading a newspaper or other books. God inspired apostle paul in one of his letters to the corinthians and he said ''The letter kills but it is the spirit that gives life". The Holy spirit is the one that intepretes the word of God as the bible says He searches the deep things of God and reveals them to us. Another thing about the word of God is that it may be instructing you on things concerning your own life.The scriptures is useful for correction, reproof and instruction in righteousness (2Tim3:16). In a nutshell whenever you read any thing in the word of God, look at the situations that surrounds it, then look into your own life. If you can't still connote a meaning to it, then get back to the owner of the scripture. By the way are you born again?
olabowale:

I am very surprised at your lame reply. How would you describe reading a newspaper? I know interpreting scriptures require faith and wisdom but this is not my intention. I asked if Jesus was contradicting himself because clearly the scriptures I read, illustrated a contradiction.

@Deepzone, etc: Why are you avoiding a thread that is tailored for a potentially hearty discussion? I am waiting and don't disappoint me.

I don't understand please expatiate.

italo:

my dear brother, the Bible is not a story book or a text book, you can not understand the Bible without the Grace of God. B4 u read d Bible, believe it, pray 2 God 2 open your eyes. Remember the Lord, Jesus Christ said, Father, i thank you for hiding these things from the wise and revealing them to mere children. these tells u that it is not reading the Bible that makes you understand it but your mindset. your mind must be set as that of a child who believes everything the parent says. besides coming back to the part of the bible that you read,

Still the same old song. Unable to stick to the issue at hand.

A_K_O:

Is that in your bible? wink

Please tell me it isn't in your bible

What is the basis of this assumption? The bible in Matt. 11:11 didnt state any characteristics of the least in the kngdom so which are you profering? I genuinly want to learn.

The bible doesn't have to state anything other than that Abraham is a member of the Kingdom of heaven. The assumption is very sound since Abraham could be greater than the least in the kingdom of heaven like any other while still being a probability that he is.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Contradict Himself? by olabowale(m): 8:51pm On Aug 08, 2008
@Paulipopo:
quote;
@Deepzone, etc: Why are you avoiding a thread that is tailored for a potentially hearty discussion? I am waiting and don't disappoint me.
unquote.

I don't understand please expatiate.
The above was my complete entry. It was not more than that. But the way you quoted me it may seem that the other entry was made by me, too. And no one has provided a satisfactory entry to the question, yet, from the group of Christians.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Contradict Himself? by DeepZone: 8:55pm On Aug 08, 2008
People sha! How can God contradict Himself? Unbelievable!!
Re: Did Jesus Christ Contradict Himself? by paulipopo(m): 10:33pm On Aug 08, 2008
DeepZone:

People sha! How can God contradict Himself? Unbelievable!!

I did not say God contradicted himself. My QUESTION is DID JESUS CHRIST CONTRADICT HIMSELF? Answer with a simple yes or no but of course provide a very sound argument to buttress your point(s).

People sha! When will they learn to answer simple questions or make meaningful comments? Unbelievable!!
Re: Did Jesus Christ Contradict Himself? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Aug 08, 2008
for christ sake! maybe mukina should set up a probe panel to investigate the activities of jesus christ while on earth

(1) (Reply)

Did Jesus Or His Companions Celebrate Christmas? / Vision Of Wedding Table In Heaven: Everything Is Ready! / How Does The Word Of God Make Our Spirit And Soul Alive? Diagram B And C.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.