Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,225 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? (8013 Views)

What Exactly Will Go Wrong If The CBN Floods The Economy With Dollars? / How Is Cbn Cashless Policy Going To Affect Your Business? / How Is Cbn's Cashless Policy Going To Affect The Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Dec 24, 2013
I don't know if anyone had observed it, there seems to be no change in the market. Whenever you tender a 500 or 1000 naira bill to a seller, the next thing you would hear is, 'oga no change o'. You'll later end up not buying the stuffs you intended buying because, there's no change. As funny as this may sound, it's very frustrating and annoying. Could this be a general thing or just peculiar to lagos alone? Or could it be that CBN is hoarding the lesser bills?
Please people share your experience.

1 Like

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by LBanks(m): 10:28pm On Dec 24, 2013
It is the same situation everywhere, i think CBN is hoarding the lesser notes because of the planned phasing out of polymer notes and re-introduction of paper notes next year for the lesser currencies

3 Likes

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by eluquenson(m): 10:40pm On Dec 24, 2013
CBN mandate NSPM to print notes at an intervals unlike his predecessors, the strategy is to reduce cost of printing & volume of cash in circulation.
I think this mallam SLS brain is saturated undecided he has really exhausted all his knowledge on Nigerian politics & fighting words with okonjo iweala on the state of economy.

2 Likes

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by DONPOPRIUM(m): 10:52am On Dec 25, 2013
I once learnt that it cost #4 to print a note.So it seems they have reduced the volume of the smaller denominations.And to control the manace of the divisibility of bigger bills;they introduced the cashless policy which is yet to be generally acceptable.

1 Like

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:55pm On Dec 25, 2013
I think we need to focus more on the price of Garri.

11 Likes

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by ose431: 2:57pm On Dec 25, 2013
I have no idea... All the same Merry Xmas to all nairalanders!
Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by WHIZBRO(m): 2:59pm On Dec 25, 2013
If you are rich, you won't care. Pray to baba God to bless your hustle.
Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by jamp: 2:59pm On Dec 25, 2013
The scarcity of the lesser notes baffles me.most Banks in Abuja could not give mints to their customers. But the annoying part is that those mallams at Dei Dei Abuja have enough mint to sell n is very costly.
Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by haysal(m): 3:00pm On Dec 25, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
I think we need to focus more on the price of Garri.
Seriously? Don't u tink uve outgrown this lame joke?

11 Likes

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by MRWHINNIG: 3:00pm On Dec 25, 2013
They are not hoarding it. Most people do not like to move around with the so-called lesser bills because of their low purchasing power and near worthlessness. Who would like to stuff his pocket and wallet with N5 notes? What people buy things with is what they will be given to them back as balance.

2 Likes

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by uglyBetty1(f): 3:04pm On Dec 25, 2013
Merry Xmas to you all.

1 Like

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by grandstar(m): 3:06pm On Dec 25, 2013
the cbn should use coins for the lesser notes as they last far far longer. that is the policy worldwide and nigeria should follow suit.
Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by Bizibi(m): 3:06pm On Dec 25, 2013
This was the very same question I have been asking lately

1 Like

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by venorite(m): 3:08pm On Dec 25, 2013
Yea same everywhere...
Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by Danhumprey: 3:13pm On Dec 25, 2013
Could this be a general thing or just peculiar to lagos alone? Or could it be that CBN is hoarding the lesser bills?
I think it's everywhere. Even simple 100naira change,e no easy to get. angry

2 Likes

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by bambuzz88: 3:14pm On Dec 25, 2013
[size=14pt]the educated fool called sanusi is still busy enslaving the economy , cant believe the official CBN website looks like a common blogsite which indicate the articulate incompetency and few activities that are beneficial to the economy, if you are intelligent enuf, you can deduce the truth and the health of our economy by comparing the data below[/size]

Central Bank Current Rate Next Meeting Last Change
Federal Reserve (FED) 0.00%-0.25% Jan 29, 2014
European Central Bank (ECB) 0.25% Jan 09, 2014
Bank of England (BOE) 0.50% Jan 09, 2014
Swiss National Bank (SNB) 0.00%
Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) 2.50%
Bank of Canada (BOC) 1.00% Jan 22, 2014
Reserve Bank of New Zealand (RBNZ) 2.50%
Bank of Japan (BOJ) 0.10% Jan 22, 2014
CBN 12% Unchanged
[size=14pt]how will this really favor the foreign investors that will nourish and transform the economy, yet this officials in our nation are busy looting heavy amount of the national treasure in milions of $$$$ yet he cant deal with inflation effectively##[/size] May God punish those rulers acting like leaders

1 Like

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by mariong(m): 3:17pm On Dec 25, 2013
I observed it's somewhat common during every yuletide. I don't see any peculiarness this season; that has always been the trend. I may be wrong thou.
Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by best4best(m): 3:18pm On Dec 25, 2013
I think it is because people hardly collect money from the teller these days, ATM gives only 500 or 1000 naira note.

3 Likes

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by 24in7: 3:21pm On Dec 25, 2013
this my own open letter to NL......MeRrY xMaS grin grin grin
Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by seangy4konji: 3:22pm On Dec 25, 2013
Thieves like to deal with higher denominations as it is easier to buy bullet proof cars...Atm machines dont even provide 500 naira notes again so you should understand that the government is in support of higher denoms to be able to loot the economy well...DUBU DAYA THINGS...God will save us NIGERIA...By the way..MERRY XMAS NLDERS...LOVE YOU ALL AND HAVE A LOVELY HOLIDAY AND HAPPY NEW YEAR...Say no to corruption!!!

2 Likes

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Dec 25, 2013
How can there be scarcity of lower denominations when banks refuse to collect them if you have lots of it.

Practically, all the banks in Ota reject bundles of #100 bills including other lower denominations.

Their reason is : nobody wants them.

1 Like

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by LBanks(m): 3:27pm On Dec 25, 2013
grandstar: the cbn should use coins for the lesser notes as they last far far longer. that is the policy worldwide and nigeria should follow suit.
And have you ever asked yourself why the other coins lost their purchasing power? How many people will like to put coins inside their wallet and move around with them? Bros do some research and articulate your point well to make sure it isn't going to have any negative effect before commenting. This kind of proposal is capable of escalating further inflation in the economy.

1 Like

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by Pukkah: 3:29pm On Dec 25, 2013
best4best: I think it is because people hardly collect money from the teller these days, ATM gives only 500 or 1000 naira note.

This is not the reason.

ATMs have been around for years and the scarcity of lower bills is a recent issue.

Moreso, even banks complain of scarcity of lower bills.

seangy4konji: Thieves like to deal with higher denominations as it is easier to buy bullet proof cars...Atm machines dont even provide 500 naira notes again so you should understand that the government is in support of higher denoms to be able to loot the economy well...DUBU DAYA THINGS...God will save us NIGERIA...By the way..MERRY XMAS NLDERS...LOVE YOU ALL AND HAVE A LOVELY HOLIDAY AND HAPPY NEW YEAR...Say no to corruption!!!

I really don't understand the relationship between your post and scarcity of lower bills.

marion g: I observed it's somewhat common during every yuletide. I don't see any perculiarness this season; that has always been the trend. I may be wrong thou.

It predates the yuletide and has nothing to do with it.
Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by solowork: 3:32pm On Dec 25, 2013
marion g: I observed it's somewhat common during every yuletide. I don't see any perculiarness this season; that has always been the trend. I may be wrong thou.

Who still says yuletide in 2013? And 'perculiarness' is not a word, 'peculiarity' is the word you're looking for. Can we just speak English like normal people and stop embarrassing ourselves with pretentious words? The idea is to COMMUNICATE.

2 Likes

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by Pukkah: 3:35pm On Dec 25, 2013
OMO IBO: How can there be scarcity of lower denominations when banks refuse to collect them if you have lots of it.

Practically, all the banks in Ota reject bundles of #100 bills including other lower denominations.

Their reason is : nobody wants them.

This sounds strange.

Banks have no right to reject lower bills.

Just last week, I saw tellers receiving lower bills in a bank.
MR. WHINNIG:
They are not hoarding it. Most people do not like to move around with the so-called lesser bills because of their low purchasing power and near worthlessness. Who would like to stuff his pocket and wallet with N5 notes? What people buy things with is what they will be given to them back as balance.

What of N10, N20 and N50?

What happens when you buy an item that costs N460 and pays with N500.

The 'divisibility' function that lower bills perform is more than their face value.

1 Like

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by Pukkah: 3:38pm On Dec 25, 2013
WHIZBRO: If you are rich, you won't care. Pray to baba God to bless your hustle.

What's the definition of being 'rich' to the extent that you won't need the 'divisibility' function of lower bills?

The richest countries of the world still have lower bills.
Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by Genea(f): 3:43pm On Dec 25, 2013
Yea,i noticed it 2,its so annoying wen its sumtin u really nid badly,u av 2 go luking 4 change 4 d seller because sum dont even bother abt luking 4 change
Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by lafuria1(m): 3:53pm On Dec 25, 2013
Frankly speaking I'm getting really pissed off with the issue of lack of lower denomination in the market. I always I have to spend unnecessarily in order to have change before boarding a lagos danfo bus so that I won't have any issues with the conductor. There should be atm machine that specifically dispenses lower denominations like 50 to 200 naira.
Disappointed why CBN doesn't see this as an issue. It drives inflation up.

2 Likes

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by whosefault(f): 3:55pm On Dec 25, 2013
no be jona fault? i dey wait make someone say na him fault. the mobile money cbn rolled out is what is making headline on CNN and we don't want to embrace it. try to use these channels and keep all your cents intact

1 Like

Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by shineeye1: 4:03pm On Dec 25, 2013
codebrew85: I don't know if anyone had observed it, there seems to be no change in the market. Whenever you tender a 500 or 1000 naira bill to a seller, the next thing you would hear is, 'oga no change o'. You'll later end up not buying the stuffs you intended buying because, there's no change. As funny as this may sound, it's very frustrating and annoying. Could this be a general thing or just peculiar to lagos alone? Or could it be that CBN is hoarding the lesser bills?

It is not in Lagos alone. It is a common observation in the south south. Many are saying it is caused by the preponderance of ATM in the economy. Considering really that ATM hardly pays with "change", and it is assuming a larger pay role, it may be the culprit.
Re: Is CBN Hoarding The Lesser Bills In The Economy? by ritux: 4:08pm On Dec 25, 2013
Yes I think so. The total amout of change I have let go within the last 2 weeks should be over 1000 naira now. Even this morning, I left a change of 80 naira as a fastfood.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Egg Supply Business Is far more Lucrative than Banking Job / CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn / A Must Read For Anyone That Wants To Invest His Or Her Money Any Where

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.