Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,791 members, 7,806,189 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". (6799 Views)

Krayola State Your Case For The Historical Jesus. / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" / The Myth Of Nazareth: Did the historical Jesus Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 5:51pm On Dec 25, 2013
We are reviewing the Origin of English Language and English word "God".

The Historical Origin Of English Language.

Historically, English originated from the fusion of closely related dialects, now collectively termed Old English which were brought to Eastern Coast of Great Britain by Germanic settlers (Anglo-Saxons) by the 5th Century. With the word English being derived from the name of the Angles, and ultimately from their ancestral region of Angeln.
A significant number of English words are constructed on the basis of roots from Latin (e.g Iesus>Jesus) because Latin in some form was Lingua Franca of the Christian Church and of European intellectual life.

The Historical Origin Of English Word "God".

The earliest uses of the word God in Germanic writing is often cited to be in the Gothic Bible or Wulfila Bible, which was the christian bible as tranlated by wulfila into the Gothic language spoken by the eastern Germanic or Gothic tribe.

During the fourth century, the Goths were converted to christianity, largely through the efforts of Bishop Ufilas who translated the bible into the Gothic language in Nicopolis ad Istrum in today's Northern Bulgaria. the words Guda was used for God in the Gothic Bible.

Some variants forms of the name Odin such as the lombardic Godan may point in the direction that Lombardic form actually comes from Proto-germanic Wudanaz.
Wudinaz is the reconstructed Proto-germanic name of a god of Germanic paganism, known as Odin in Norse mythology, Woden in Old English, Wodan or Wotan in Old high Germanic and Godan in the Lambordic language.

Godan was shortened to God over time and was adopted/retained by the Germanic peoples of the British isles as the name of their deity, in Lieu of the Latin word Deus used by the Latin speaking christian church after conversion to christianity.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_(word)

I call this, "A DEADLY TRAP" for today's monotheist faiths.
We can do without being involved in Pagan practices (worship, festivals...)but unfortunately, Monotheistic people as at today can not do without using a name that was once used to invoke an Idol. May these people be rewarded according to their intentions. But our Creator/God has come to stay and MashAllah we'll not be questioned for it.

Now, before the adoption of Pagan god in the 4/5 century, What was/is the name of God in Christiandom?

Many languages predate Christianity and each has different name for the Creator. Jesus was borne into an Aramaic spoken community, so it was generally agreed that Jesus and his Disciples spoke Aramaic language.
The Aramaic's name for God (Elah<God / Elaha<The God) was derived from Northwest Semitic noun Il/El (Elohim) which is usually translated as "God/YHWV" in the Hebrew Bible.
Mark 15:34 and Matthew 27:46 reported that Jesus called God "Elah" on the cross.

The Assyriac rendition of Aramaic word "Elah" is "Alaha"

The Arabic word "Allah" was derived from Northwest Semitic noun Il/El. Allah is a contraction of Arabic definite article Al-"The" and Ilah [Sole] "Deity".

Some people have allowed lie to take over their lives. But unfortunately for them, Lie will always be shamed in the presence of the truth.

They are spending money to extract false materials to malign Islam, Whereas, what they are looking for is at their backyard. Adopted and Nursed by their role models, what is it? Idolatory!shocked

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elohim

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah

Here comes the secret of Islam. Q5:3. "... Have those who reject faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear Allah. This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed my favor upon you and have chosen for you Islam as your DEEN.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 11:26am On Dec 26, 2013
Q 114:1-6:
1. Say, I seek refuge with (Allah) the Lord of Mankind.
2. The King of Mankind.
3. The Ilah (God) of Mankind.
4. From the evil of the whisperer.
5. Who whispers in the hearts of Mankind.
6. From among the Jinn and Manking.

Q 113:1-5:
1. Say, I seek refuge with (Allah) the Lord of the daybreak.
2. From the evil of what He created.
3. And from the evil of the darkening (Night) as it comes with its darkness.
4. And from the evil of the witchcrafts when they blow in the Knots.
5. And from the evil of the envier when he envies.

Q 112:1-4:
1. Say, He is Allah, the Sole.
2. The Self-Sufficient Master.
3. He begets not, nor was He begotten.
4. And there is none co-equal unto him.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Princewell2012(m): 5:03pm On Dec 26, 2013
I believe allah is God, but i dont believe the way and the style our muslims counterpart are worshiping him.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 5:36pm On Dec 26, 2013
Princewell2012: I believe allah is God, but i dont believe the way and the style our muslims counterpart are worshiping him.
Infact, May God bless you! The bolded is the main difference between us. Who they are working for is not as clear as their intentions.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by plaetton: 5:58pm On Dec 26, 2013
Good research.
Perhaps you are also aware that Sin was an ancient Babylonian Moon god.
Many many millennia later, Nebuna-Id King of Babylon, is said to have been instructed by his patron god, Sin, the moon god, to revive his worship. This he did.
But against hostility from other religions, the worshipers of the moon god Sin, moved and later settled in Arabia, after the reign of King Nebuna-Id of Babylon.
Though a minority in Arabia, they continue to worship the moon god as the supreme El.

At around the sixth century AD, someone decided to elevate the worship of the moon god Sin, to new levels.
The rest, they say, is history.

5 Likes

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by ckkris: 6:11pm On Dec 26, 2013
TERRORISTS

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 7:14pm On Dec 26, 2013
plaetton: Good research.
Many many millennia later, Nebuna-Id King of Babylon, is said to have been instructed by his patron god, Sin, the moon god, to revive his worship. This he did.
But against hostility from other religions, the worshipers of the moon god Sin, moved and later settled in Arabia, after the reign of King Nebuna-Id of Babylon.
Though a minority in Arabia, they continue to worship the moon god as the supreme El.

At around the sixth century AD, someone decided to elevate the worship of the moon god Sin, to new levels.
Sin (English): Offense against a religious or moral law.

Sin (Arabic): The 12th letter of the Arabic language.

The word Sin is an English word and it has no meaning when transliterated to Arabic language.

Dhanb(Arabic): Is the word that was translated from Arabic to English language in English quran.

And i'm sure that the Arabic word Dhanb is not translated to Sin in German, French and many other languages.

So the purpose of sin in English quran is to convey a message from Arabic to English language.

Hmmm, at the bolded, i guess u're trying to tell us something?

Lets gain from you since u're for real.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by OlaoChi: 8:22pm On Dec 26, 2013
plaetton: Good research.

I know that someone is Mohammed wink
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by OlaoChi: 8:24pm On Dec 26, 2013
harbiola1:
Sin (English): Offense against a religious or moral law.

Sin (Arabic): The 12th letter of the Arabic language.

The word Sin is an English word and it has no meaning when transliterated to Arabic language.

Dhanb(Arabic): Is the word that was translated from Arabic to English language in English quran.

And i'm sure that the Arabic word Dhanb is not translated to Sin in German, French and many other languages.

So the purpose of sin in English quran is to convey a message from Arabic to English language.

Hmmm, at the bolded, i guess u're trying to tell us something?

Lets gain from you since u're for real.

You again undecided well you misunderstood because Sin is also the name of a Babylonian God
I read somewhere that he was Abraham's original God before he went to present Israel

So you see there are more than one God tongue
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 9:52pm On Dec 26, 2013
OlaoChi:

You again undecided well you misunderstood because Sin is also the name of a Babylonian God
I read somewhere that he was Abraham's original God before he went to present Israel

So you see there are more than one God tongue
You can't be taken seriously until you present ur proof.

And mind you, there is only One God, however, polytheists could invent their own false-god (Idols).

You don't want to start this with me, do you?
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by OlaoChi: 2:31am On Dec 27, 2013
harbiola1:

And mind you, there is only One God, however, polytheists could invent their own false-god (Idols).

Argh! More boring comments

Read books about ancient Semitic religions, Abraham was a pagan Moon servant from Iraq

There are over 10000 Gods wink tongue

1 Like

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by plaetton: 6:27am On Dec 27, 2013
harbiola1:

This is very laughable.
And what proof have you present that there is a god, and only one at that?

1 Like

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 9:32am On Dec 27, 2013
OlaoChi:

I know that someone is Mohammed wink
This is Slandering because the poster hasn't given a smallest evidence to buttress his claim. As a spiritualist, Slandering is an insult on ur patron, provided he is not Satan.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Nobody: 9:42am On Dec 27, 2013
plaetton:

This is very laughable.

Lol, NONE.

You can also ask him what justification he has to accept one God (monotheism) over several Gods (polytheism) and I bet you he will go round n round without answering your question.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 9:48am On Dec 27, 2013
plaetton:

This is very laughable.
As long as atheism is concern, the bolded is what i can't venture into, but it exists.
undecided

And the Sin story that you were writing on, it would be fair that u bring it here and lets see if it's true or false. If it's true, then you can keep spreading it but if it false then you ought to stop spreading it. I hope you have a conscience.?
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 9:55am On Dec 27, 2013
OlaoChi:

Argh! More boring comments

Read books about ancient Semitic religions, Abraham was a pagan Moon servant from Iraq

There are over 10000 Gods wink tongue
Lets check this out; Who is
Olorun,
Oluwa,
Olodumare,
Sango and
Obatala?

1 Like

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 10:06am On Dec 27, 2013
rationalmind:

Lol, NONE.

You can also ask him what justification he has to accept one God (monotheism) over several Gods (polytheism) and I bet you he will go round n round without answering your question.
It is not a mistake that i can control my mind but couldn't control others'.
I always prefer debating theists, even pagans.

I don't believe in theism that is why i've my own word for atheists.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 10:06am On Dec 27, 2013
rationalmind:

Lol, NONE.

I don't believe that there is something like theism and that is why i've my own word for atheists.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Nobody: 10:12am On Dec 27, 2013
harbiola1:

I don't believe that there is something like theism and that is why i've my own word for atheists.

I don't think I understand the bolded. Care to elucidate?

Remember this is what theism means

the·ism - /ˈTHēizəm/
Noun:
1. Belief in the existence of a god or gods, esp. belief
in one god as creator of the universe, intervening in it
and sustaining a personal...

And what word is it you have for atheists?
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by OlaoChi: 10:30am On Dec 27, 2013
harbiola1:
This is Slandering because the poster hasn't given a smallest evidence to buttress his claim. As a spiritualist, Slandering is an insult on ur patron, provided he is not Satan.

Am not slandering, I gave my thought
There's no other person I know that fits that description

And am not a spiritualist are you?
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 11:32am On Dec 27, 2013
rationalmind:

I don't think I understand the bolded. Care to elucidate?

Remember this is what theism means

And what word is it you have for atheists?
Typo!
Exactly!
It is personal but not an insult on anybody.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 11:44am On Dec 27, 2013
OlaoChi:

Am not slandering, I gave my thought
There's no other person I know that fits that description

Can you take?

OlaoChi:
And am not a spiritualist are you?
Pardon me, but u always sound like one. do you care to answer the question? that is if u know anything about what u're defending.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 7:32am On Dec 28, 2013
harbiola1:
Olorun,
Oluwa,
Olodumare,
Sango and
Obatala?
@Olaochi tongue
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by OlaoChi: 8:48am On Dec 28, 2013
harbiola1:
Olorun,
Oluwa,
Olodumare,
Sango and
Obatala?

Check Google or Wikipedia, come back and give the answers tongue
All I can say is they are Gods of the Yoruba religion
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 11:38am On Dec 28, 2013
OlaoChi:

tongue You don't know anytin wink
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by OlaoChi: 12:30pm On Dec 28, 2013
harbiola1:
tongue You don't know anytin wink

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 7:57pm On Dec 28, 2013
OlaoChi:

Stop saying what you don't know. undecided
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by OlaoChi: 12:40am On Dec 29, 2013
harbiola1:
Stop saying what you don't know. undecided
OlaoChi:

pls Check Google or Wikipedia, come back and give the answers tongue

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 9:06am On Dec 29, 2013
OlaoChi:

OlaoChi:

Your reference contradicts ur statement. undecided
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by OlaoChi: 3:06pm On Dec 29, 2013
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 11:45pm On Dec 29, 2013
OlaoChi: since you cant check for yourself here i did your job for you
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shango_(disambiguation)
http://blackethics.com/371/sango-the-god-of-thunder-and-lightning/
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obatala
cheesy In your desperate attempt to prove me wrong, u just shot urself at the leg.

These people are human being, deified/idolized by men.

Try and compare these with Olorun, Oluwa and Olodumare. tongue
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by OlaoChi: 9:51am On Dec 30, 2013
harbiola1:
cheesy In your desperate attempt to prove me wrong, u just shot urself at the leg.

These people are human being, deified/idolized by men.

Try and compare these with Olorun, Oluwa and Olodumare. tongue

Men? Did u not read Obatala is Olorun's eldest son? Gods give birth to men now? And did you not read where Obatala and Oduduwa created the universe and human bodies before Olorun brings the body to life? Do Men create themselves and create others too?
Are u in the Yoruba religion?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is Your Best Bible Story? / Destroying Ancestral Altars/agents (1) / CAN Felicitates With Muslims At Sallah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.