Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,553 members, 7,809,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies (32696 Views)

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom / Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. / United Kingdom To Deport Nigerians On 24th March 2015 With A Chartered Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by MrKnowitall: 6:29pm On Dec 30, 2013
^^^
Take it easy mr quote-a-lot. A choice between Nigeira or U.K, U.S, or Canada is no choice at all.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Krucifax(m): 7:18pm On Dec 30, 2013
To get a proper answer you need to ask a proper question. It depends on the context in which you are asking. But let me give you some options as you haven't been specific.

1: The U.K consists of 4 countries England,Scotland, Wales, Ireland.
England has more economic opportunities than all the others combined.

2: The U.K is still technically in recession.
There are by far more job openings in England than Nigeria(easily a statistic of 200 to 1)
The jobs are incredibly hard to find.Caveat(depending on the type i.e Care work you can get before you even leave the plane)
There is still a lot of discrimination.Caveat(depending on the discipline and position. There are few blacks in high powered well paying roles)
The pay is "POOR" for most professions.Caveat(Due to high taxes,national insurance ,inflation and high cost of living)

If you finish your masters and legalise your stay the U.K has pros and cons.

Cons:
Very very bad weather
Job scarcity (There are about "1 Million" unemployed youths in Britain source below)
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nearly-a-million-under25s-still-unemployed-despite-growth-8935723.html
Total Unemployment figures for all is a whopping "2.5 Million" source below
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23692996
Poor pay
Poor social life(for most not all)
High taxes (Im not just talking of Income tax,VAT rates here are made by the devil himself)
High Pension age( Proposal for 68yrs and subsequently 70yrs. Neighbouring France is 62yrs)
In born knowledge of not ever fulfilling your full potential if you are very ambitious.
Elitist and very class conscious society.
Second class citizen treatment(Not racism but it doesn't take long to understand what i mean)
Difficulty in saving a penny (Worse if you have a family)

Pros
Advanced infrastructure (Transport links,Steady Power)
World class judicial system
Security
Political Stability
Free Health care
Social Security (i.e Job seekers allowance,Housing benefit,disability allowance,child benefit etc.etc)
Good leadership
A very fair equitable society
Intellectual stimulation
Proximity to Europe for travel.

My Personal advice is this. The U.K is a great place. But you will get tired of it eventually like we all do! The qualifications from here are world class and will stand you in good stead anywhere in the world. There are many Masters degree holders with no jobs or working security and i mean in the 1000s. There are also those who manged to get good jobs but that is the exception not the norm.
If you have a medical condition that requires constant monitoring like diabetes or you are disabled then there isn't a better country to be in as the government will take care of you via free NHS treatment. If you simply just want to work as an employee for the rest of your life then there is no way Nigeria can possibly be better than the U.K besides opportunities you have employee rights and union power.Even the Director of a company here will think twice before messing with a cleaner fact!

However if you harbour any thoughts of owning your own business,striking it rich in life,political aspirations or have an entrepreneurial spirit my advice would be to take your money and stay in Nigeria. Look for something to do. A lot of degrees from Nigeria require minimum conversion courses to make the holders eligible for practise in the U.K. You don't need to blow your wad for a U.K degree. Most Nigerian are of a similar mindset that's why we are always eventually very restless in this country. If i could turn back the hands of time i would have completed my masters a lot sooner than i did and jumped on a plane back home. This is coming from someone with a U.K and Naija passport in full employment and on over £2k a month after tax. A lot of my contemporaries have gone back home or are making arrangements to do so. I am one of them! But i wish you good luck either way. Choice is yours.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by paris10: 7:20pm On Dec 30, 2013
@mod, did you just delete my post?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Obama13: 7:41pm On Dec 30, 2013
Told that is better here in Nigeria. Been to UK, did MSc, now working in Nigeria. With my starting salary in nigeria am able to save what i use to save in London working fulltime(anyhow job my friend). I think am happy here though sometimes men eno easy. So my friend for me na happiness.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by BlessedFellow: 7:46pm On Dec 30, 2013
promisechild: Bro what you are looking for in sokoto is in your "sokoto" why thinking of settling in uk after your studies, ask those who are there presently and they will tell you the hell they are going through there. do u think ur certificate can secure u a white comfortable colar job in UK as a black man am sorry to tell na gate man that ur certificate fit give u there as a black man.

Bro after ur programme in UK come down to Nigeria and submit ur cv to various companies I bet u within two months u will have ur appointment letter with you.

I do not totally agree with the bolded. I have a number of (smart/good/sound/intelligent) friends who have not been able to get a job in Nigeria for over a year after their UK MSc. You don't have to underestimate the Almighty Nigerian factor whereby you need to be connected to an Oga @ the top before you can get a job you are well-qualified for.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by ifegy: 8:24pm On Dec 30, 2013
pappilo: I also cant understand this no job stuff. Where I work there is a new Aussie or Kiwi fresh of the plane starting a £300/day contract job almost every other week.
There are many young Nigerian boys I know personally making mega bucks up doing contract work on unbelieveable daily pay rates.
And finally, I find it funny that the people that say try US, Canada or Australia have actually never been to these places so know Bleep all about life in those countries.

Em, some of us are saying try places like Canada because we went through the foreign student route, like he intends to, followed the government's rules to immigrate, which is basically what he wants to do, and got settled, which is his ultimate objective. So we do know a bit about what we're talking about.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Nobody: 8:34pm On Dec 30, 2013
abbakacici: The problem is that even if you manage to find a job, the wages are very low as compare to their cost of living, if you study in Russell group university your wage after graduation will be like 24k, but it look like you are going to a ok school, so wages will be like 18k, I have friend that was lucky to find a job last year, after finishing msc financial management his wages was like 18800 per year, his paid like 6000 accommodation bills included for a room in a house with four other guys he spend like 4000 on food paid tax like 2000 he own a car his spend like 2500 on fueling insurance and taxes , other stuff like teeth peste, body spray, soap, laundry etc he spend like 1000 and he go back to naija for his annual leave where he spend like 1000 on ticket and few toys he bought his nice and nephew so when he want back to uk after his annual leave he check that he has only 400 pounds in his name, so he resign and went back to naija
And why would your friend travel just to show off, when he's not in the comfort zone. Seems he lacks that africa mentality.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by futurewise11(m): 9:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
you have 2 years to look for job.your chances is very high,education is even free.
laplace19: Please guys,what about settling in Germany after doing your masters?......... Is it advisable to settle their?

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Nobody: 9:18pm On Dec 30, 2013
[b]My advice: Go to one of the Russel group Universities in the UK, after graduation, apply for a post graduate (MSc, PhD) scholarship in SE Asia. Trust me, you'll get mouth watering offers from Universities there and their research is pretty good. They also get adequate research funding, plus if you're lucky enough, you'll find a supervising professor who's ready to cut a deal for your research. ($$$)

After your post-graduate degree, you can safely move back to the UK. Why? Because there are not enough jobs for Britons themselves, so, for you to get that job in the UK, you must show the UK Govt that you are worth more than the average British applicant which i don't think you can cut with a mere B.Sc degree. The UK Govt have very strict immigration laws that puts an immigrant on the bench as a substitute unless you have a higher qualification to compete.

Another option is to move back to Nigeria where there are much more opportunities with little competition considering your portfolio. But Nigeria!! sad sad **patting my head** Mehn, It go hard ooooo grin

Whichever way you choose to go, i wish you good luck.
[/b]
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by bet365enemy: 10:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
@OP
I'll tell u my story and I'll make it short. Like many Nigerians of my age range, I'm ambitious and wanted to study in the UK. I came to the UK only to find out that my supposed school was a private school owned by a Pakistani, no football court, library and the basics a school should have, "dissapointed" was an understatement. Due to the people I move with, they enlightened me how the UK system works, now I'm married to a British citizen and going to a way better school at the expense of their government. (though I'll pay it back bit by bit later on when I'm on a good pay) and work wise, yes I have work permit but don't think you would be able to send money home if you are married to a British citizen (seems the easiest way to get citizenship) they know how much you are earning and expect you to put it on the table at the end of the month, basically you spend each other's salary together.
On my bid to find extra income which my wife won't know about. I stumbled on football betting, today I can tell you I've made enough to build me a decent house, buy me a good car, and have a decent business back home while I'm still going to school and a British citizenship as a plus.
Bottom line is, do not let anyone/anything put you off. If you believe you can, with God by your side and your self determined spirit, You will succeed.
Wish u good luck.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by wayforward: 10:28pm On Dec 30, 2013
bet365enemy: @OP
I'll tell u my story and I'll make it short. Like many Nigerians of my age range, I'm ambitious and wanted to study in the UK. I came to the UK only to find out that my supposed school was a private school owned by a Pakistani, no football court, library and the basics a school should have, "dissapointed" was an understatement. Due to the people I move with, they enlightened me how the UK system works, now I'm married to a British citizen and going to a way better school at the expense of their government. (though I'll pay it back bit by bit later on when I'm on a good pay) and work wise, yes I have work permit but don't think you would be able to send money home if you are married to a British citizen (seems the easiest way to get citizenship) they know how much you are earning and expect you to put it on the table at the end of the month, basically you spend each other's salary together.
On my bid to find extra income which my wife won't know about. I stumbled on football betting, today I can tell you I've made enough to build me a decent house, buy me a good car, and have a decent business back home while I'm still going to school and a British citizenship as a plus.
Bottom line is, do not let anyone/anything put you off. If you believe you can, with God by your side and your self determined spirit, You will succeed.
Wish u good luck.

SMH at the bolded part is that the best advise you can give?

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by bet365enemy: 10:32pm On Dec 30, 2013
wayforward:

SMH at the bolded part is that the best advise you can give?

I didn't give advise, I told my story

4 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by wayforward: 10:36pm On Dec 30, 2013
bet365enemy:

I didn't give advise, I told my story

ok no worries, you have tried smiley
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 30, 2013
The hussle in UK is crazy.
You might be better off coming back to naija with your UK creds.
I'm sure that will bump you higher
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by kel4soft: 11:22pm On Dec 30, 2013
Very educative reads. Well done posters. Although, I have never thought of leaving Nigeria, I still believe whatever decision one takes is justifiable if he can strife to achieve what he wants. I would have love the British model life of been conservative.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by ocheejemb: 11:27pm On Dec 30, 2013
Ibime:

Go study in Scotland. They give you one year visa after your studies there

This is a lie,

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Timoa(m): 11:43pm On Dec 30, 2013
"One mans meat is another mans poison" Anon

So I can't tell you to stay in Nigeria and do business with the monies you intend to use to improve yourself abroad as others advised(Nigeria and doing business in Nigeria is not going anywhere) as long as you poised your question my advise is as follows:-

Whilst at Uni,add a professional qualification not synonymous to your impending qualification however a field you have an interest in(so you show a degree of versatility), add a language you can learn to intermediate level(versatility+edge), mix with your fellow students and Pali your lecturers(versatility+edge+cravat).

Most importantly improve your mind set(point of view)so you can adapt quickly in other to recognise opportunities when they present themselves or create opportunities for yourself. Your goal should be to improve yourself; be proactive.

It's your life and yours alone.

Add all these to your repertoire: you wouldn't bother yourself with staying or leaving the UK after your studies. The best option for you will present itself.

The very first step is choosing a very good Uni for your subject of study...your university we'll be an excellent spring board.

Good Luck wink

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by mrkoma2012: 11:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
@op

What are your short term & long term plans?

Like you, i arrived in the UK in 2004 graduated in 2007 got a decent job but was laid off 18months later due to the economic meltdown.

Fastforward a few years later, i now run my own business that makes me shuttle different countries.

Last year, i travelled to south Sudan for business and i can tell you that it was the highest paying single transaction my company has done.

My point is simple, you can be successful anywhere. Education is not all about acquiring a qualification ; it's how you'll use it in achieving your short -long term goals.

Though, the immigration rules are always changing not only in the UK but across most developed nations.....you can still proceed with your plans as long as it's leads you to achieving your future ambitions.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Nobody: 12:40am On Dec 31, 2013
Wish u good luck.

Honestly this is the most useless statement i have ever heard from someone who lives and study abroad. I am very disappointed.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by bet365enemy: 1:04am On Dec 31, 2013
rudedough:

Honestly this is the most useless statement i have ever heard from someone who lives and study abroad. I am very disappointed.

Dissapointed because I made money through betting while I'm studying? Yes I expect you to be
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by hustla(m): 1:24am On Dec 31, 2013
rudedough:

Never hate on another man's hustle
Never!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Nobody: 1:52am On Dec 31, 2013
wayforward:

is this what you'll be doing till you turn to those old papa in those betting shop, well you've got a good career keep it up smiley

grin grin I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by dodokire12: 7:30am On Dec 31, 2013
I would not advise you to stay back in UK after your studies,simple as A,B,C.

I travell to UK,twice in a year and i pity a lot of Nigerians out there.

Things are not as rosy as they seem but always try to improve yourself educationally.

My Husband lives and work there so i visit him often,he has a lot of professional certificates but he works in a clothing store.

i work in Nigeria and i tell you i pay for my ticket anytime i visit,sometimes i pay his bills too cause you have to pay for a lot of things out there.

Why dont you go to school first and see how it is like before you make up your mind to stay behind.

The immigration laws are so so unfriendly,they will first of all give their citizens their white collar job before thinking of you,

Well maybe you might be lucky but my friend its not as rosy as it seems.

A lot Of people work for several hours standing up.

All you need to do is tell GOD TO OPEN A DOOR for a good job in Nigeria after your programme in Uk,and then you can go back there for your Holiday.

Or meet a Britiko that will give you pappers to work and live legally.

I love Nigeria cause we truelly enjoy so many things out here.

God Bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by bossboss1: 8:38am On Dec 31, 2013
[/color][color=#006600]
GeneralShepherd:

You've lived in UK for 15years and you don't know, you 'buttress a point' not portress it

That's like buying fake Ice from Iceland grin
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by claremont(m): 9:05am On Dec 31, 2013
Wish u good luck.
@OP: Please stay away from betting shops, online betting, horse racing e.t.c. Do NOT get involved in gambling, it has ruined many lives.

My 2p!

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Segzy23: 12:52pm On Dec 31, 2013
dodokire12: I would not advise you to stay back in UK after your studies,simple as A,B,C.

I travell to UK,twice in a year and i pity a lot of Nigerians out there.

Things are not as rosy as they seem but always try to improve yourself educationally.

My Husband lives and work there so i visit him often,he has a lot of professional certificates but he works in a clothing store.

i work in Nigeria and i tell you i pay for my ticket anytime i visit,sometimes i pay his bills too cause you have to pay for a lot of things out there.

Why dont you go to school first and see how it is like before you make up your mind to stay behind.

The immigration laws are so so unfriendly,they will first of all give their citizens their white collar job before thinking of you,

Well maybe you might be lucky but my friend its not as rosy as it seems.

All you need to do is tell GOD TO OPEN A DOOR for a good job in Nigeria after your programme in Uk,and then you can go back there for your Holiday.

Or meet a Britiko that will give you pappers to work and live legally.

God Bless Nigeria.

Hey dodokire12, while I do not dispute some of what you have written, I disagree with some.

A lot of professional Certificates means nothing without working experience or proven ability to demonstrate one can do the job. Working experience is vital in the UK.
Yeah bill payment is the norm, but you get the services you paid for unlike in Nigeria. Not sure why you are paying for his bill when you are only you are visiting, but if I get the vibe, you said you pay for your ticket anytime you visit, meaning you are effectively implying that he is not earning enough or should get a better paid job. Why don't you invite home to get a job like yours or a better one?

A lot of people work sitting down in beautiful and decent offices. You need to tell the other side of the story as well. Even those who are doing security(ode) - there are a lot doing that job - get to sit down if they choose to. if they are on night shift/building sites, they have it easy.

I cannot dispute that, but you would agree with me, you enjoy more things in the UK when you there visiting twice a year, don't you smiley?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Car Accident At Ogba, Lagos (Photos) / Rumuokwurusi Flyover, Port Harcourt Partially Collapses (Video) / Another Plane Crash In US Claims Several Lives Weeks After Wigwe's Incident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.