Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:42 AM

The Population Density Of Igbo Land - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Population Density Of Igbo Land (34050 Views)

MASSOB Barnishes Nwodo,wogu From Igbo Land / Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 / Population Density Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Ikengawo: 4:26am On Dec 27, 2013
The entire Igbo land looks like a city from Google Earth.

There isn't an inch that isn't populated. The area below i photographed isn't a city. It isn't marked or labeled, meaning it's just a regular stretch of earth. Most of the cities and villages in Igboland have merged into one with barely a mile marking the beginning of one and ending of another!
It's truly a fascinating situation. Anambra leads in the density, and is a state I can describe as a single mega city.
I'm curious as to why this part of the earth is so heavily populated. There no where in Nigeria that looks like this, let alone Africa, unless you count Lagos, Cairo and Johannesburg.

3 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Nobody: 4:34am On Dec 27, 2013
Go ahead and blow yourself up if the google earth gives you org.asm. Happy New year in advance.

2 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by DerideGull(m): 4:48am On Dec 27, 2013
payless: Go ahead and blow yourself up if the google earth gives you org.asm. Happy New year in advance.

payfool

Go and die!!! olodo

21 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Nobody: 4:57am On Dec 27, 2013
DerideGull:

payfool

Go and die!!! olodo
At the age of 87 you're still displaying your stupidity. Well, I am a born again for the time being. I am on cease fire due to the birth of our Lord. Come back on 6th January and take some body shots before you finally go to your grave.

9 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by obitwo: 6:06am On Dec 27, 2013
The population density in Igboland is understandably high and the OP is also shockingly dense

The entire landmass of Igboland is about the same size as Oyo State

It's the same reason why there will be large patches of uninhabited places in Kano

9 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Nobody: 6:38am On Dec 27, 2013
Oyo state is also bigger in size than lagos,lagos still has more population and development than Oyo. Same thing goes to igbo land.

4 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Ikengawo: 6:39am On Dec 27, 2013
obitwo:

The population density in Igboland is understandably high and the OP is also shockingly dense

The entire landmass of Igboland is about the same size as Oyo State

It's the same reason why there will be large patches of uninhabited places in Kano

so then why isn't Oyo and Kano that dense you nincompoop

Igbo land shows a remarkably high density for any patch of land in the world,

Look your foking Oyo state that's a 2 town bush that you want to tell me about land density.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by obitwo: 7:01am On Dec 27, 2013
Ikengawo:

so then why isn't Oyo and Kano that dense you nincompoop

Igbo land shows a remarkably high density for any patch of land in the world,

Look your foking Oyo state that's a 2 town bush that you want to tell me about land density.

You're dense and brainless I must admit.

Maybe you don't understand what is meant by population density. You better read up

Which city will be denser?

A 10sqm city with two million people or a 10sqm city with eight million people

Tokyo is smaller than Lagos but more densely populated

Population density is simply the number of people divide by the landmass

So if Oyo and Anambra have the same population, Anambra will be more dense because it has a much smaller landmass

If you don't get this, then I can't help you

Besides you took the google image of Oyo from a higher elevation

Back to my original post, the SE has a higher population than Oyo State

Oyo State and the whole of the SE have about the same landmass

Therefore, the SE is more densely populated

Besides not everything you see as green in a Google Map is uninhabited as some are farms.

31 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by TonySpike: 7:02am On Dec 27, 2013
Does the OP know that the unusual density in Anambra could be a result of weak and unregulated state laws? A proper state government shouldn't allow all its lands to be occupied all at once. This could pose serious hindrances in the future.
Even in the 'so called' dense Lagos, green patches can still be seen to the west on google earth. Which indicates that Lagos State population is concentrated towards the central and Eastern areas, and not widespread like in Anambra. The states with substantial green areas in the East are Enugu, Ebonyi and parts of Imo. Green areas are very important everywhere in the world. A province/region that lacks such designated green areas/patches might be tagged environmentally unfriendly. Infact, this is one of the reasons why I support that more structures must go down in Lagos according to the original city masterplan. By the way, how old is Onitsha as a city? I would like to know when it was founded...

2 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Nobody: 7:06am On Dec 27, 2013
Ikengawo is now Musiwa (Igbo Version)

3 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Ikengawo: 7:14am On Dec 27, 2013
Tony Spike: Does the OP know that the unusual density in Anambra could be a result of weak and unregulated state laws? A proper state government shouldn't allow all its lands to be occupied all at once. This could pose serious hindrances in the future.
Even in the 'so called' dense Lagos, green patches can still be seen to the west on google earth. Which indicates that Lagos State population is concentrated towards the central and Eastern areas, and not widespread like in Anambra. The states with substantial green areas in the East are Enugu, Ebonyi and parts of Imo. Green areas are very important everywhere in the world. A province/region that lacks such designated green areas/patches might be tagged environmentally unfriendly. Infact, this is one of the reasons why I support that more structures must go down in Lagos according to the original city masterplan. By the way, how old is Onitsha as a city? I would like to know when it was founded...
Onitcha dates back to the time of the Benin Empire.
Moreover, city planning and organization in the east is better than in the west. The proof is below.
There's not a single patch of green in Lagos longer than thumbnail and eastern cities are significantly greener and better planned than western ones, without exceptions.

Japan has a similar density to igbo land, does it mean their bad at planning? your logic is spotty and fails to tie together

5 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by solapex: 7:16am On Dec 27, 2013
obitwo:

Maybe you don't understand what is meant by population density. You better read up

So if Oyo and Anambra have the same population, Anambra will be more dense because it has a much smaller landmass

Besides not everything you see as green in a Google Map is uninhabited as some are farms.
Guy you know book die. Don't mind that olodo rapata

2 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Abagworo(m): 7:17am On Dec 27, 2013
Crassus: Ikengawo is now Musiwa (Igbo Version)

Lol! He just discovered what people already knew in the past. Even whitemen knew and wrote about it that Igboland is the most densely populated part of Nigeria and one of the highest in the world. The area between Owerri and Awka is so dense that you might mistaken it for a sprawl. Meanwhile that area is the Igboland proper with others referred to as periphery. It forms a kind of nucleus.

2 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Ikengawo: 7:18am On Dec 27, 2013
You're too dense to move to phase II - ask why.

you know something is a particular way, the next step in intelligent thought is at least having the capacity to ask why, which isn't connecting.
obitwo:

then what is your point you common yam lol. The questions is why are there so many human beings in a span of land 'the size of oyo state'. This situations is extremely uncommon world wide unless it's a single city we're speaking of. You're thinking in term of fraudulent artificial nigerian political divisions. I'm talking about actual tangible human settlement patterns, why are there so many people in this small space of land, period.

10 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Ikengawo: 7:20am On Dec 27, 2013
solapex: Guy you know book die. Don't mind that olodo rapata
LOL So this is what they're teaching you on Ipon Imo? I'm showing you real photos of ipon anambra and it's is confusing you to this extent.

5 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Ikengawo: 7:23am On Dec 27, 2013
So i'm realizing there's a difference between myself and yoruba people. I'm pointing to an unusual occurrence in human settlement and asking why, your answering by telling me igbo land isn't green. chie.

6 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by asha80(m): 7:24am On Dec 27, 2013
@tony spike the settlement pattern in igboland is scattered and they do not form packed conglomerations like the sw.those places in the se were already like that before the coming of the white man so the issue of preventing people from spreading or building all in the name of city planning is mute.city planning is for urban centres like the onitsha,owerri,aba etc.

2 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by TonySpike: 7:24am On Dec 27, 2013
Ikengawo:
Onitcha dates back to the time of the Benin Empire.
Moreover, city planning and organization in the east is better than in the west. The proof is below.
There's not a single patch of green in Lagos longer than thumbnail and eastern cities are significantly greener and better planned than western ones, without exceptions.

Japan has a similar density to igbo land, does it mean their bad at planning? your logic is spotty and fails to tie together

Can you please put up your evidence(s) for Japan? I want to assume you are referring to Tokyo but please give me evidences for the whole of Japan. I can however give you a clue: One of the most important part of Japan's economy is Agriculture. In addition, about 67% of Japan is designated as GREEN areas!!! Figure out the rest...

Meanwhile, from what I'm seeing on google earth, Anambra might have less than 30% green area. This is going to be a major problem in the future if the situation is not arrested. Because the population spread might spill into Enugu, Imo and Kogi leading to potential boundary clashes.

4 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Dhelake: 7:35am On Dec 27, 2013
Who needs Google earth's pictures?? That doesn't change the fact that SE is erosion ravaged

12 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Ikengawo: 7:36am On Dec 27, 2013
Tony Spike:

Can you please put up your evidence(s) for Japan? I want to assume you are referring to Tokyo but please give me evidences for the whole of Japan. I can however give you a clue: One of the most important part of Japan's economy is Agriculture. In addition, about 67% of Japan is designated as GREEN areas!!! Figure out the rest...

Meanwhile, from what I'm seeing on google earth, Anambra might have less than 30% green area. This is going to be a major problem in the future if the situation is not arrested. Because the population spread might spill into Enugu, Imo and Kogi leading to potential boundary clashes.

So you need for me to prove to you that Japan is densely population and at the same time consider you an intellectual equal to the point that i'll proceed talking to you?

1 Like

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by nduchucks: 7:37am On Dec 27, 2013
If the purported population density is accurate, then it poses a major security threat to the inhabitants of Nigerian cities. This should be an incentive for the separatists among us to look for a better alternative i.e. ONE NIGERIA. The possiblility of another war should cause great worry to folks because maximum damage is typically the result of droping a single bomb is such a densly populated area. Nuff said.

4 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by TonySpike: 7:38am On Dec 27, 2013
asha 80: @tony spike the settlement pattern in igboland is scattered and they do not form packed conglomerations like the sw.those places in the se were already like that before the coming of the white man so the issue of preventing people from spreading or building all in the name of city planning is mute.city planning is for urban centres like the onitsha,owerri,aba etc.

I did notice the scattered settlement pattern is the East because I stayed there myself for quite some time. This method of settlement might be useful in the past because of people were in constant migration and needed absolute family independence.

The concentration of settlement in the West itself was useful in the past because of city defence and exchange of ideas. This is why cities like Ibadan and Osogbo might be looking unplanned.

My point is that green areas should be dedicated whether scattered or concentrated, East or West. We cannot afford to fill up all available spaces in the name of development. I hope you get my drift?

1 Like

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Nobody: 7:39am On Dec 27, 2013
ndu_chucks: If the purported population density is accurate, then it poses a major security threat to the inhabitants of Igbo land. This should be an incentive for the separatists among them to look for a better alternative i.e. ONE NIGERIA. The possiblility of another war should cause great worry to folks because maximum damage is typically the result of droping a single bomb is such a densly populated area. Nuff said.

Evil thought... grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Ikengawo: 7:40am On Dec 27, 2013
I open a thread about population density in igboland and you're already thinking of how to kill them. Kill the one your father pays rent to in his own village first. Kill the Fulani king of Ilorin first before you come to someone else's land to talk about bombs.

11 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by tpia5: 7:43am On Dec 27, 2013
there's still forest, so if new towns/suburbs could be built on reclaimed land or something?
Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Ikengawo: 7:46am On Dec 27, 2013
Tony Spike:

I did notice the scattered settlement pattern is the East because I stayed there myself for quite sometime. This method of settlement might be useful in the past because of people were in constant migration and needed absolute family interdependence.

The concentration of settlement in the West itself was useful in the past because of city defence and exchange of ideas. This is why cities like Ibadan and Osogbo might be looking unplanned.

My point is that green areas should be dedicated whether scattered or concentrated, East or West. We cannot afford to fill up all available spaces in the name of development. I hope you get my drift?

The excuse that 'yoruba cities are old' is getting old. The oldest sign of human settlement in Nigeria is Igbo-Ukwu in Anambra, with Nri being the oldest monarchy in the country. Onitcha has been around since the time of the Benin Empire, and no city in igbo land came from nowhere or was made yesterday.

the difference is igbos develop their small autonomous communities to city size while yorubas go to a single city (lagos ibadan). Even as someone from Imo state, i can never claim Owerri as my home the way I can claim my village as my home. To an Igbo man, Onitcha, Enugu, Aba, Owerri Umuahia, Awka is another man's village regardless of the development and your goal is to build your village to surpass those places.

13 Likes

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by asha80(m): 7:46am On Dec 27, 2013
Tony Spike:

I did notice the scattered settlement pattern is the East because I stayed there myself for quite sometime. This method of settlement might be useful in the past because of people were in constant migration and needed absolute family interdependence.

i get ur drift but how do you stop individuals from building in places they feel is their ancestral land...places that land still remains?it is not going to be easy guy..this thing affects most parts of anambra and imo..enugu,ebonyi and to some extent abia are still in the clear..have you wondered why igbos seem to like building 3,4 or even 5 story buildings?(maximize available land)..well not sure we have reached that technological know how to bnuild those high rise residential buildings you find in western world(elevator in mind here).

1 Like

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by TonySpike: 7:49am On Dec 27, 2013
ndu_chucks: If the purported population density is accurate, then it poses a major security threat to the inhabitants of Igbo land. This should be an incentive for the separatists among them to look for a better alternative i.e. ONE NIGERIA. The possiblility of another war should cause great worry to folks because maximum damage is typically the result of droping a single bomb is such a densly populated area. Nuff said.

Bros, please edit your thread. Let us make this thread as educative as possible. I've wanted to start up a thread like this too on google earth images on Nigerian cities. OP, can you please edit your topic to reflect Nigerian cities in order not to allow this thread end up as a junk? Thanks...
Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by TonySpike: 8:01am On Dec 27, 2013
Ikengawo:

The excuse that 'yoruba cities are old' is getting old. The oldest sign of human settlement in Nigeria is Igbo-Ukwu in Anambra, with Nri being the oldest monarchy in the country. Onitcha has been around since the time of the Benin Empire, and no city in igbo land came from nowhere or was made yesterday.

the difference is igbos develop their small autonomous communities to city size while yorubas go to a single city (lagos ibadan). Even as someone from Imo state, i can never claim Owerri as my home the way I can claim my village as my home. To an Igbo man, Onitcha, Enugu, Aba, Owerri Umuahia, Awka is another man's village regardless of the development and your goal is to build your village to surpass those places.

When I get to my office, I'll elucidate my point in a much more graphical manner. It's easier for places in the East to regenerate into Urban areas because they most likely started out as scattered settlements. You and I both know that the average distance between two settlements in the East could range between 2 km to 3 km. This is an advantage for transition into urban areas especially when most of these lands are owned by a single family.

1 Like

Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by TonySpike: 8:05am On Dec 27, 2013
Ikengawo:

So you need for me to prove to you that Japan is densely population and at the same time consider you an intellectual equal to the point that i'll proceed talking to you?

It's your choice, bro. I am not here to prove myself as an intellectual, even if I am one. I am here to learn from you provided you are ready to teach me. So, do you want to teach me, sir?
Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by nduchucks: 8:14am On Dec 27, 2013
Tony Spike:

Bros, please edit your thread. Let us make this thread as educative as possible. I've wanted to start up a thread like this too on google earth images on Nigerian cities. OP, can you please edit your topic to reflect Nigerian cities in order not to allow this thread end up as a junk? Thanks...

Sometimes, the bitter truth must be told to jolt people into their senses. I know truth is bitter, but there it is - post edited nonetheless.
Re: The Population Density Of Igbo Land by Nobody: 8:50am On Dec 27, 2013
ndu_chucks: If the purported population density is accurate, then it poses a major security threat to the inhabitants of Nigerian cities. This should be an incentive for the separatists among us to look for a better alternative i.e. ONE NIGERIA. The possiblility of another war should cause great worry to folks because maximum damage is typically the result of droping a single bomb is such a densly populated area. Nuff said.
silly talk from a confirmed aboki! So you desire another civil war targeting Igbo land? Carry your stoopid ONE NIGERIAN shyte and preach it somewhere else. Yeye! angry angry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply)

Why We Didn’t Release El-zakzaky – FG / Buhari, Bandits Are Taking Over Here - Punch Editorial / Result Of Rivers State PDP Governorship Primary: Nyesom Wike Wins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.