Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,310 members, 7,780,732 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:59 PM

How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) (38822 Views)

This Story How My Sister Got A Good Job Will Inspire You If You Are Unemployed / How My Faith & Prayers Helped Me Get A Very Good Job Through Nairaland Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by Raxxye(m): 1:28pm On Jan 02, 2014
Tbillz: OLUWA SEUN OSEWA IS AN ANGEL IN HUMAN DISGUISE #THanks for tha idea of nairaland @ op U are speakin with a thousand voice #tanks bro

You are o.y.o!

BTW, congrats OP. Wishing you the very best in your career!

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by Sttimmy1(m): 2:13pm On Jan 02, 2014
Oh my God,ds s inspiring....congrats bro!
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by Sttimmy1(m): 2:17pm On Jan 02, 2014
[/color][color=#770077]Oh my God,ds s inspiring....congrats bro!
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by SenatorJames(m): 2:36pm On Jan 02, 2014
chess guru:
Nothing do you bros!!
Me sef be batch B 2012 cool

Congrats bro. I'm happy you are my batch member (6th June POP).

I'm also a living testimony of "Employment by merit". I got a Job in November (4 months after NYSC) in one of d leading financial institution, that spread across the nation. 150 of us were firstly selected among over 500 applicant, I'm glad to be among the 30 that were finally recruited. My two months salary realy added more colours to the Xmas and New year festival. If God can do it for us, you will soon share your own testimony in Jesus name.

To God be the Glory

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 02, 2014
congratulations bro!!! really happy for u fellow diageo broda! wish the best experience and a fulfilled career
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by engrhorla(m): 3:58pm On Jan 02, 2014
My story! I got 3 jobs under 1 month(Dec 8-Dec 27) after spendin 1yr 2 months wtout job(finishd service Oct 2012). Frm Lag 2 Abj 2 Ph nw Lag again all in search of job. U wnt understand. Moral: dnt gv up. Neva say neva & improve on ur ability. Dnt 4go Baba God. It is your time.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by abdulslutsky(m): 5:38pm On Jan 02, 2014
Congratulations chess guru. My testimony too verysoon
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by ibkonekt(m): 5:53pm On Jan 02, 2014
Wonderful experience, God bless you
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by Valentinooo: 6:04pm On Jan 02, 2014
Congratulation bro
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by Jehochee(f): 6:27pm On Jan 02, 2014
@chess-guru pls what can u advice an undergraduate to do as regards getting a job tnx bro.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jan 02, 2014
chess guru:
As in bro, we where among the least in the aptitude test. It was right here on NL where some people where getting 90% and where kinda oppressing others that I reminded some peeps that the race isn't 4d swift ooo!
Anyway I barely made d cut off which was about 68%.... I think I had like 69%.
They where calling in terms of highest.. It took them like 4 days to mail me, by then I had given up completely..was so pissed that I culdn't apply for any other stuff. Starting applying for my masters.
Well 2 cut d long story short, the mail came on a Thursday to come down to lagos for an adexen assessment on saturday.
Almost didn't want to travel from ph cos of. The suddenness, but
borrowed money and traveled on friday...the rest as they say is history cheesy

@op, thank God 4 u o and it shall be permanent. God shall also do it 4 us as we graduate..amen

@bolded, no offence intended, op, is dat u dont understand d diff. btwn 'where' and "were'? Pls take note!
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 7:39pm On Jan 02, 2014
Horayce: Pretty useless advice in an economy that cannot do basic things like, you know: generate 247 power, industrialize, conquer hunger&agriculture, foster a spirit of self reliance and enterprise in its citizens etc. Jobs will be aplenty if/when the basics are addressed, no need to write long sermons sis.
I honestly have no idea what in God's name your talking about
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 7:41pm On Jan 02, 2014
Capt. JH Miller:

Hey!! Congrats.. very happy for you.

Sorry bro, went through the thread for BAT and realized, a requirment.. must have finished NYSC by July 2013 and you said in a post u are 13B. So how did u manage thus condition?
Thanks in anticipation.
I finished june/july 2013...entered 2012
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jan 02, 2014
And don't forget to regularly check jraushub.com for hot tips.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 7:45pm On Jan 02, 2014
Acedude: @ op thank you for inspiring us. It shows that with continuous adequate preparation & persistence, there's always victory at the end. ​thank you man

*pls BAT is one of my dream places to work buh really dnt have an idea when their recruitment is done & how its done. Wiil be glad if u can help with it.
Register on their career site. When there's an opening, they will send you a mail. That's how I got to know of the MT opening.
Stay blessed.
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 7:46pm On Jan 02, 2014
olabode89:

Bro, I feel ur pain and I'm very sure that you can master the art of passing aptitude tests and interviews.

Firstly before I give some tips I'm going to state factors I think are important in passing aptitude tests
1. Raw intelligence
2. Speed
3. Commitment to the course.

Although raw intellingence is in-built, speed and the other factor can be replaced by practice and hardwork. I hope these tips will be very useful.

1. Be prepared
Do not wait for test invitation before u pick up materials. Make Gmat, SHL and co ur companion. Practice questions to improve speed, Learn skills and ways of tackling questions.

2. Information is vital
Although some companies do send sample or state the type of test to be administered others do not, therefore it's important to get info from friends and forums like nairaland, naijahotjobs etc.

3. Eat very well before attending test,buy some snacks if u feel hungry before d test, compose yourself, attack the questions you are familiar with first. Time management is vital, do not waste unecessary time on a question that is proving dificult! 'FREE IT' you can always come back to it. Attend test invitation with a positive mindset it helps a lot.

4. Pray and Fast if you are a believer.
Ur on point sir!
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 7:49pm On Jan 02, 2014
Pls ,how can we join the bbm group on dis? Or is it restricted?
Hmmm if u can dig up the BAT thread, there is a bbm pin somewhere there (am no longer in the group)

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by CaptJHMiller: 7:50pm On Jan 02, 2014
Sent you a PM.. Please reply
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 7:52pm On Jan 02, 2014
Akinmail: Chess guru please for the sake of Allah modify that your post. The one you adviced someone to falsify his age. Please you could lose your job. Do it fast before anyone quotes it. PLEASE and don't make comments like that again. You never know when your boss might be around.smiley
also you could go to jail
Hahahahaha will loo'k into that
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 7:53pm On Jan 02, 2014
Capt. JH Miller:
Sent you a PM.. Please reply
⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥KK⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥ sir
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 7:57pm On Jan 02, 2014
ifycyril: congratulations bro!!! really happy for u fellow diageo broda! wish the best experience and a fulfilled career
Sir ify!! Long time sir
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jan 02, 2014
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 8:30pm On Jan 02, 2014
EMTEEswag: Congrats bro... I'm so happy for you. I just need 1 help from you right now...I need you to send me a template or sample C.V I can work with here is my e-mail add mutiubusari@yahoo.com, I'v been having issues with geting a good one. Thanks a lot for shareing this with everyone.God bless
See what I can do...but won't be this night tho
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by emmille(m): 8:33pm On Jan 02, 2014
donigspain: Wow, this is just the kind of testimony my soul needs at this stage of my life. I wholeheartedly claim, with faith, this testimony of yours upon my life in Jesus Christ name, amen.
Congratulations to you my victorious brother.
I prophecy by the mercies of God, that your story will change this year in Jesus name. Only believe and draw near to God in righteousness and faith.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 8:35pm On Jan 02, 2014
Jarus: And don't forget to regularly check jraushub.com for hot tips.
Sir jarus Much respect man!!!!
This your thread was a game changer in my interviews. I actually bookmarked the thread towards the end of my service in june.
www.nairaland.com/1245277/common-interview-questions-answer-tips

I mastered all my responses and anticipated like 20 possible questions I could be asked from the templates you gave.
Ŧa̶̲̥̅̊ƞk̶̲̥̅̊ƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇:::: once again. Peeps like you make NL what it is today.
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by bossladypearl(f): 8:43pm On Jan 02, 2014
Its work versus job. Sometimes most of us mistake the two. What then is money? We all want to make it right? Money is the reward for a job done. What about work? Work is what you do, what you are reckoned with. Not neccessarily for money...mfor more info on work and job, visit this link and I know you won't regret it. http:///Mv82ILxIHk
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by ajoskele(m): 9:05pm On Jan 02, 2014
Congrats OP..Just want to say not everyone will graduate with 1st class or 2.1...I made a 2.2 and am not ashamed of it. I have a good job enough to take care of myself and my immediate family..I didn't use "long leg" and guess what,am an awaiting "corper"!!
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 9:12pm On Jan 02, 2014
ajoskele: Congrats OP..Just want to say not everyone will graduate with 1st class or 2.1...I made a 2.2 and am not ashamed of it. I have a good job enough to take care of myself and my immediate family..I didn't use "long leg" and guess what,am an awaiting "corper"!!
Congrats bro.
Its J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ that its a bit tougher. The 2.1 J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ gives you a platform .
In any case brilliancy is overrated...God's grace na him sure pass.
Happy new year!!
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by tribeofdavid(m): 9:16pm On Jan 02, 2014
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by kolexy(m): 10:20pm On Jan 02, 2014
chess guru: Seen a lot of threads like this in the past, and been praying for a time when I will have a reason to post something like this.
I intend to use this thread to give God the glory for his faithfulness, and also stand as an evidence that it is indeed possible to have the coolest entry level job in one of the coolest multinational companies without any connection.
I started a 7 stage recruitment exercise with my coy some time in august. The information gotten on this platform was simply indispensable.
Nairaland gave me the opportunity of meeting some wonderful people that really helped in ways time will not permit me to mention. A bbm group for this recruitment was formed, and this brought us even closer smiley

So in my way of giving back to a platform that has helped me tremendously, I intend to give my own advice for folks still in the "favor" market wink

1) Attitude is everything
I learned a long time ago never to ask a failure for advice; They normally have nothing good to say. So the next time you are about to apply for that big job, and your friend who has failed 10 times comes to discourage you, give a him a good 10 mile radius and tell him you both answer different last names wink
Also, there may come a time when you start doubting yourself , when you start questioning whether you're really as good as you thought you where (I went thru such wilderness myself), change your mental attitude, it will determine the recruitment altitude you finally obtain.

2)know your problem
A problem known and fully understood is half solved. (Hehehehe well if your problem is from your village,... Then your on ya own oo grin)
But seriously though, borrowing a quote from Tzu Sun's art of war "ultimate victory is assured only when you fully understand yourself and your enemy". I have broken people with job challenges into different categories.

Application failures

People in this category don't get pass the initial application phase. There are number of different reasons for this, some of which include;
Poor cv or cover letter writing skills.
Lack of patience when filling or answering application essays.
Age limitation, etc and etc

My advice for any nysc member reading this is to start EARLY! I can't over emphasize this. I started applying for jobs 6 months to the end of my service year. Doing this gave me 6 months of trial and error to learn how to apply properly without pressure or the desperation that comes after nysc.

aptitude test drop outs

cry I sadly belonged to this class. Believe me when I say that exams are not really a true test of knowledge. Some people J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ do better in aptitude test than others I guess. If you fall into this category then you have your work cut out for you. I will suggest starting from scratch. Get your hands on all popular formats(NL can help you here). Then work work work because there is no substitute.

Interview drop outs

I discovered that while I was jonsing in my aptitude test there where certain monikas here on NL that where always getting to this stage in almost all threads I saw them in. I put these ones in this group. They scale thru the aptitude test with ease, but don't know what they do wrong in interviews.

But sadly I feel this group is much more difficult to solve than the previous category. I say this because whereas peeps with aptitude test problems can improve with constant practice, well I feel interview skills (communication, diction, natural intelligence, confidence, etc ) are not things you J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ "jack" over night but rather are things you develop over time and come to certain people naturally. Before this recruitment process, I hadn't had a single interview before, but I scaled through over 4 interview stages quite easily, stuff J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ came naturally.
assessment day drop outs

Here, its God all they way. If you can get to this stage in any recruitment process, then best know you're surrounded by the best. The only differentiating element is God and INFORMATION!! Read wide! Know the company like you've been working there for ages. Know the spirit of the company and what they stand for. And in all you do through out that day, try and let the company values or principle shine through

3) The God Factor
All I can say is what is yours is yours. Am sadly far from the most righteous person, but I could definitely see the hand of God in causing me to be one of 8 people selected from a pool of over 5000 applicants (including applicants from west africa, and from other parts of the globe).
final advice to undergraduates and serving corps members

To my corper wee!! Like I said earlier, start early. If you are J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ finding out how to write a cover letter one month after service, then something is really wrong with you!

To my undergrads, DON'T RUN AWAY FROM RESPONSIBILITY!!
I can't over stress this. You have no Work experience, so during your interview, all you have to fall back on is whatever things (leadership, teamwork ,etc) you learned through school or What you volunteered for.

Finally, if you know you don't have "THE CONNECTION", or "LONG LEG" or you can't finish with a 1st class, please try to leave with a 2-1.
The labour market is bloody. Even we with 2-1's are barely seeing enough elbow room and breathing space, how much so you with a 2-2 or 3rd class with no connection?

God bless and help us all as we push to the top

Congratulations bro. I also got to the assessment stage in 2009, but didn't get the Job. Not a bad place to start one's career.
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by Azeez532(m): 10:44pm On Jan 02, 2014
chess guru:
See what I can do...but won't be this night tho
bro, I will appreciate it if you can also help to send the CV format/ template, email- abbeyat@yahoo.com.Thanks in anticipation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Exam Date For Nigeria Immigration Recruitment 2013/2014 / How Many People Have Received Email/sms From NYIF? / How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.