Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,706 members, 7,802,103 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) (1450 Views)

Nigeria Vs Uruguay: Fifa U-17 Q/final November 2, 2013 By 5:00pm / Mikel, African Footballer Of The Year, 2013?? / Africa Youth Championship: Nigeria Vs RD Congo On 23rd March,2013 By 5:30pm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by naijanoni(m): 11:33pm On Dec 27, 2013
As 2013 draws to a close, KickOff.com’s Ed Dove looks back at the continent’s finest XI over the last 12 months.

Goalkeeper: VINCENT ENYEAMA

Kossi Agassa has once again been in fine form over 2013, but the Togo shot-stopper is pipped to this honour by Nigeria’s Vincent Enyeama.
He was named in the Africa Cup of Nations Team of the Tournament after a series of influential displays which formed the backbone of Nigeria’s rise to the title. Having returned from a loan spell in Israel, he also took up a spot between the posts for French side Lille.
While Enyeama may have fallen just short of the Ligue 1 record for consecutive clean- sheets, his stunning performances in goal for Les Dogues have prompted a re-evaluation of his class. They have also pushed the Northern side firmly into the race for the French title.

Defenders: SERGE AURIER

Right-back Serge Aurier is the man who gives hope and credence to a post-Golden Generation Cote d’Ivoire. The youngster has already demonstrated his qualities as part of the Elephants’ backline and, in replacing Emmanuel Eboue, is the first of the new crop to nail down a starting berth.
Aurier has started five of the Ivorians’ last six games, while Eboue has not been called-up for the team’s last seven fixtures, since their Afcon elimination at the hands of Nigeria.
His showings in Ligue 1, for Toulouse, have even piqued the interest of Arsene Wenger, who is reportedly eyeing Aurier as the long-term replacement for Bakary Sagna.

Defender: GODFEREY OBOABONA

You may be wondering why you have not spotted Joseph Yobo playing for Nigeria for a while – well, here is your reason.
Oboabona was the only outfield player not to miss a minute of action at the Cup of Nations and was also one of the competition’s best performers. Particularly impressive was his performance against Didier Drogba in the quarter-final against the Cote d’Ivoire.
Oboabona’s showings for Nigeria also earned him a move to Europe. Caykur Rizespor may not have been the most illustrious name to be linked with the young defender, but great things are certainly in store.

Defender: MEHDI BENATIA

Mehdi Benatia (or ‘Mehdi the Magificent’ according to Eurosport) has truly announced himself as one of Europe’s finest defenders over the last 12 months.
His performances for Roma saw him named in theGuardian’s top 50 players of 2013 list.
He has certainly been one of Africa’s outstanding players and a key figure in his club’s defensive unit. Roma’s excellent start to Serie A was built upon a watertight and fearsome defence. The likes of Leandro Castan, Federico Balzaretti and Vasilis Torosidis have all been in fine fettle, but I would argue that Benatia has been the outstanding individual.
Unfortunately, successes at club level have not been matched for his international side, Morocco. However, considering the talented individuals available for the Atlas Lions, I forecast a more promising time in 2014.
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by naijanoni(m): 11:40pm On Dec 27, 2013
Midfielder: JOHN OBI MIKEL

2013 will be remembered as the year that John Obi Mikel finally realised his potential for the Nigerian national team.
Having previously been torn between operating as the effervescent playmaker of his youth and the lumbering holder of his Chelsea career, Mikel finally found the platform upon which he could flourish.
Not only did he begin to start driving the play for the Super Eagles and becoming the team’s creative force, he also started to underpin his performances with leadership. Mikel has become the inspirational figure at the heart of a very successful Super Eagles side.

Midfielder: JONATHAN PITROIPA

In a Cup of Nations fairly devoid of quality and genius, Jonathan Pitroipa was a ray of light.
He was the tournament’s outstanding individual and was instrumental in guiding Burkina Faso to their unprecedented appearance in the Final.
The winger was in fine fettle as he helped his countrymen not only escape a group containing reigning champions Zambia and soon-to-be champions Nigeria, but also to overcome Togo and Ghana in the knockout rounds.
Unfortunately, the Stallions’ superb year ended in disappointment as World Cup qualification proved to be a step too far.

Midfielder: OGENYI ONAZI

In a year of revelations for Nigerian football, defensive midfielder Ogenyi Onazi may just be the pick of the bunch.
He showed his class at the end of 2012, with some assured performances for Lazio in the Europa League – particularly against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane.
For the national team, Onazi’s impact has been tremendous. At the beginning of the Afcon he was merely a squad member, but by the knockout rounds he was a central component of Stephen Keshi’s midfield.
Only injury, sustained in a World Cup Qualifier against Namibia in June, ended his unbroken minutes in the first team.
Onazi is incredibly mature and assured for his age and is an ideal foil for John Obi Mikel – the duo make a formidable pairing in the heart of the Super Eagles midfield.

Midfielder: YAYA TOURE

Despite having an underwhelming year, by his own awesome standards, Yaya Toure remains Africa’s most accomplished midfield operator.
He missed out on honours with both Manchester City and the Cote d’Ivoire – for whom the Cup of the Nations passed him by – but still did enough to receive theBBC’s prestigious African Footballer of the Year award.
It will not be long before the midfield of Fernandinho and Toure begins to click consistently for City, when it does, the Manchester club might just be unstoppable.
The prospect of Barcelona, Yaya’s former club, looms large in the Champions League next season, but that should be a challenge that the Ivorian will relish. So too, the World Cup in Brazil next summer, where the Golden Generation have one last chance to leave an international legacy.
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by naijanoni(m): 11:44pm On Dec 27, 2013
Forward: PIERRE EMERICK AUBAMEYANG

At club level, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is already approaching the top of the sport. Having excelled consistently at Saint-Etienne, in the French top flight, he made the move to Champions League finalists Borussia Dortmund.
Over the last few months he has begun to announce himself as the continent’s pre-eminent forward. With explosive pace and excellent finishing, the Gabonese striker looks set to enjoy a decade at the top.

Forward: EMMANUEL EMENIKE

At times over the last 12 months Nigeria have struggled to add the finishing touches to their improving approach. More often than not, Emmanuel Emenike has stepped forward to make the difference.
He scored in four of the six Cup of Nations fixtures, finding the net against Burkina Faso and Zambia in the group stage and then the Cote d’Ivoire and Mali in the knockout rounds. It was a great shame that injury ruled him out of the final, but the tournament’s Top Scorer Award proved to be some consolation.
Subsequently, it was Emenike’s brace against Ethiopia in Addis Ababa, turning around a 1-0 deficit, that pushed the Super Eagles towards Brazil. Having moved to Turkish giants Fenerbahce, Emenike now has the perfect stage, for club and country, upon which to blossom.

Forward: MOHAMMED SALAH

Over the last year Mohamed Salah has continued on the trajectory that should one day culmulate with him being considered as Africa’s most exciting attacking player.
He starred for Egypt at the London Olympics, became a crucial part of the senior national side, thrived in the Europa League and won the Swiss title. Now he can add participation in the Champions League to his list of achievements.
Expect Salah to play a major role in the Pharaohs’ post-Aboutreika future.
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by naijanoni(m): 11:44pm On Dec 27, 2013
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by musty001: 12:15am On Dec 28, 2013
even though i dont give a f.uck about wat u post,it kinda sound interesting.....first 2 comment,`dis guy x just born 2 conquer`
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by naijanoni(m): 7:27am On Dec 28, 2013
If it were me,'ll take out oboabona though and replace with one of those cameroonian defenders at lille.
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by Theben(m): 10:21am On Dec 28, 2013
Choi! No Ghanaian player? grin grin grin where are the so called world class midfielders? Where is Boateng?grin grin

These people love hyping their players sha. I just hope this my innocent comment does not result to e-war between naija and Ghana. Lol
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by naijanoni(m): 11:35am On Dec 28, 2013
Theben: Choi! No Ghanaian player? grin grin grin where are the so called world class midfielders? Where is Boateng?grin grin

These people love hyping their players sha. I just hope this my innocent comment does not result to e-war between naija and Ghana. Lol
Hahahaha.Expect attacks from jigga_man and petrol dullard.
Anywhere ghana is mentioned,they'll storm.
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by safarigirl(f): 2:57pm On Dec 28, 2013
Theben: Choi! No Ghanaian player? grin grin grin where are the so called world class midfielders? Where is Boateng?grin grin

so you know say you dey find trouble, sha sha, make I just spread my mat here in case jigga ma niqqa decides to stop his okada here. @topic, I dunno, I would've removed Salah for Moses, maybe it's sentiments speaking.
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by striker9(m): 3:49pm On Dec 28, 2013
Just like I expected,well composed.
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by Jiggaman101: 6:29pm On Dec 28, 2013
naija noni:
Hahahaha.Expect attacks from jigga_man and petrol dullard.
Anywhere ghana is mentioned,they'll storm.

I don't attack when Ghana is mentioned, I only attack when I am attacked or Ghana is attacked. Yeah I do find it strange that no Ghanaian player was mentioned, not surprised that it is full of Nigerian players. Hope this does not turn into Ghana vs Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by Jiggaman101: 6:33pm On Dec 28, 2013
safarigirl: so you know say you dey find trouble, sha sha, make I just spread my mat here in case jigga ma niqqa decides to stop his okada here. @topic, I dunno, I would've removed Salah for Moses, maybe it's sentiments speaking.

I agree I will swap Moses for salah, victor Moses is favorite nigerian player. Why is the list full of Nigerians.
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by Theben(m): 6:43pm On Dec 28, 2013
Jigga_man101:

I agree I will swap Moses for salah, victor Moses is favorite nigerian player. Why is the list full of Nigerians.
Isn't it obvious? We parade the best set of players in africa. Tell me the midfield duo that are capable of replacing Onazi and Obi, tell me a better African goal keeper than Enyeama, how about a more prolific striker than Emenike? No doubt Ghana have good players but they will always play a second fiddle to their Nigerian counterparts.
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by emiye(m): 7:53pm On Dec 28, 2013
only 3 defenders? who is the 4th defender?
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by Theben(m): 8:00pm On Dec 28, 2013
emiye: only 3 defenders? who is the 4th defender?
It's a 3-4-3 formation.
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by Jiggaman101: 8:10pm On Dec 28, 2013
Theben:
Isn't it obvious? We parade the best set of players in africa. Tell me the midfield duo that are capable of replacing Onazi and Obi, tell me a better African goal keeper than Enyeama, how about a more prolific striker than Emenike? No doubt Ghana have good players but they will always play a second fiddle to their Nigerian counterparts.

The arrogance of Nigerians, you got to love it sometimes. Don't know why you guys are so arrogant, especially when it comes to football and when you are being compared with the great black stars of Ghana. One consistent attribute about Nigerians is their allegiance falls just as quick or quicker than it rises. If you don't believe go and read comments about the super eagles before they won the afcon or even as recent as the Italy game before they went up 2-1. The thing is y'all don't believe in your eagles most of you are what we will call in the sports world as bandwagon. I am counting the days when y'all will start insulting Keshi and the super eagles which y'all cherish so much now. It is not far
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by safarigirl(f): 8:14pm On Dec 28, 2013
Jigga_man101:

I think Salah was included just to appease certain quarters. And I think Nigeria's AFCON win and the general turn-around the SE have made this year after we crashed and burnt in 2011 is to blame for the inclusion of many Nigerians, we've had a pretty brilliant 2013 compared to other African countries, in 2014 the best performing African team at the World Cup will most likely have it's players occupying majority positions in many African best XI lists
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by emiye(m): 8:19pm On Dec 28, 2013
Theben:
It's a 3-4-3 formation.

ok, i see, but that formation looks a bit weird

3-5-2 might be more realistic. you know any team that plays 3-4-3 ?
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by safarigirl(f): 8:22pm On Dec 28, 2013
Jigga_man101:

The arrogance of Nigerians, you got to love it sometimes. Don't know why you guys are so arrogant, especially when it comes to football and when you are being compared with the great black stars of Ghana. One consistent attribute about Nigerians is their allegiance falls just as quick or quicker than it rises. If you don't believe go and read comments about the super eagles before they won the afcon or even as recent as the Italy game before they went up 2-1. The thing y'all don't believe in your eagles most of you are what we will call in the sports world as bandwagon. I am counting the days when y'all will start insulting Keshi and the super eagles which y'all cherish so much now. It is not far
my dear, that is how Nigerians are generally, we don't forgive fuq ups, ask Yakubu if you want to know. That's why I say that if Gyan was Nigerian, he would never make the SE squad again after he missed that crucial penalty at the WC. It's the same in the entertainment industry, we're quick to praise and quicker to condemn. Even during the U-17, Nigerians were hailing the boys after they knacked Mexico 6-1, but some people were quick to point faults when they drew 3-3 with Sweden. It's a Naija thing
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by Nomski0(f): 8:28pm On Dec 28, 2013
I don't like this o. angry. Why is Bance not in first 11. Y'll are cheating my Bance o grin grin grin
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by AbuMikey(m): 8:46pm On Dec 28, 2013

_Fucked up List!

Where's
1) Aristide Bance

2) Kwadoh Asamoah

3) Andre Ayew

4) Platini **the Cape Verdean**

5) Demba Ba

OP, You are being too Nigerian! undecided

Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by Theben(m): 8:57pm On Dec 28, 2013
Abu Mikey:

_Fucked up List!

Where's
1) Aristide Bance

2) Kwadoh Asamoah

3) Andre Ayew

5) Demba Ba

You may have to point out the players they're capable of displacing on that list.
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 28, 2013
safarigirl: so you know say you dey find trouble, sha sha, make I just spread my mat here in case jigga ma niqqa decides to stop his okada here. @topic, I dunno, I would've removed Salah for Moses, maybe it's sentiments speaking.

You're a clown, do you know that?
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by safarigirl(f): 9:03pm On Dec 28, 2013
Abu Mikey:

_Fucked up List!

Where's
1) Aristide Bance

2) Kwadoh Asamoah

3) Andre Ayew

5) Demba Ba

let's not forget Andres Iniesta, Edinson Cavani and Juan Mata. Feel free to contact Ed Dove of Kickoff.com and table your matter with him since he wrote the article. @Nomski, me thinks Bance kinda faded after AFCON.
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by safarigirl(f): 9:04pm On Dec 28, 2013
Austeenx:

You're a clown, do you know that?
You're a stalker, do you know that?
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by Jiggaman101: 9:46pm On Dec 28, 2013
safarigirl: my dear, that is how Nigerians are generally, we don't forgive fuq ups, ask Yakubu if you want to know. That's why I say that if Gyan was Nigerian, he would never make the SE squad again after he missed that crucial penalty at the WC. It's the same in the entertainment industry, we're quick to praise and quicker to condemn. Even during the U-17, Nigerians were hailing the boys after they knacked Mexico 6-1, but some people were quick to point faults when they drew 3-3 with Sweden. It's a Naija thing

Constructive criticism is always good, there is a whole planet difference between constructive criticism and the Naija thing. Most Nigerians count the super eagles out till they prove them wrong and when they go down by a goal in a game the insults starts pouring. They only pound their chess and proclaim their patriotism for nigerian when it is all said and done and we call that band wagons.

The Naija thing reminds me of a tale of two fathers. One is hard on his kid, he wants him to be the best so he let's him practice and criticize him when he does something wrong. The other left once he found out that the mom is pregnant only to come back once the child succeed. The Naija thing sounds more of the latter than the former.
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by striker9(m): 10:26pm On Dec 28, 2013
safarigirl: my dear, that is how Nigerians are generally, we don't forgive fuq ups, ask Yakubu if you want to know. That's why I say that if Gyan was Nigerian, he would never make the SE squad again after he missed that crucial penalty at the WC. It's the same in the entertainment industry, we're quick to praise and quicker to condemn. Even during the U-17, Nigerians were hailing the boys after they knacked Mexico 6-1, but some people were quick to point faults when they drew 3-3 with Sweden. It's a Naija thing
Naija peeps can be so unforgiving,people still remember Yakubu na,talk about Sani Kaita,the guy just fade away without any trace.
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by bizibrain(m): 11:45pm On Dec 28, 2013
I hope am wrong if I say gone FOREVER ar d dayz africa football in generally ar played with great dexterity.

D breed of player dat c d light of d day in SE camp a decade ago ar made of players synonymus 2 incompetent. MISFIRING right in front of goalpost and wasting begging chances ar a well known attribute.Dere brainless head brought condemnation mentality in2 SE fans mind nd d awkward attribute super chicken.

U bcome sad wen u watch those headless clown playing lik a tired 2 left leged human.

Am sure if those (2006-2010 SE) brainless human played wit dere heart like 94, 98 squad, no 1 wil b quick 2 condemn, but dey do dere tins lik a madman, hw dem go play well wen dere is 2 much 4ucking and sex.

Eagles den ar celebrated 4 a well played game if dey lose.

But nw, even if dem win thaiti 6-1, dem go abuse dem 4 misfiring, if dem draw italy2-2, dem go say na luck, if dem trash ethiopia 2-0 2-1, 2-0 dem go talk say na setpieces, na refree. Dis is as a result of d stewpidity and lack of enthusiast in Nigerian football.

I'm just sorry 4 Nigeria football, we gat no striker @ hand except emenike, if dis guy get injured, our nyash go open 4 worldcup like confederations cup
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by omar22(m): 12:42am On Dec 29, 2013
Theben:
how about a more prolific striker than Emenike?

Are sure about that statement

E Emenike - Fenerbahçe 2013–14 15 7

D drogba (CIV)- Galatasary 2013–14 15 7

V Aboubakar (CAM) Lorient 2013–14 18 10

D N'Doye (Sen) Lokomotiv Moscow 2013–14 13 9

Moussa Sow (Sen) Fenerbahçe 2013–14 13 9
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by safarigirl(f): 5:41am On Dec 29, 2013
omar22:

notice Emenike's achievements for country were mentioned. Our players made the list based more on country than club performance. There isn't a more prolific striker than Emenike in any African team for now, only Gyan comes close
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by naijanoni(m): 6:10am On Dec 29, 2013
omar22:

And their national team stats ??

And btw emenike has 10 goals in total this season.Remember he started d season at Spartak Moscow.He scored 3 goals there before moving 2 fenerbahce in september.

Total Stats 2013/2014=10 goals,7 Assists
He is not only scoring,he is assisting.

When u mix national team + club no striker has been more prolific than him.
You can say gyan,but d club and league he plays for disqualifies him.
Re: African Team Of The Year 2013(by Ed Dove) by naijanoni(m): 6:44am On Dec 29, 2013
Abu Mikey:

_Fucked up List!

Where's
1) Aristide Bance

2) Kwadoh Asamoah

3) Andre Ayew

5) Demba Ba

PLEASE OOOOH !!!!!.I DIDNT WRITE THE ARTICLE.THE ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN BY ED DOVE !!!.
So go and moan to ed dove not me.
And FYI Ed dove the writter is not nigerian.Ed dove is a european sports-writter that focuses mainly on african football.
He writes about ghana,south-africa,nigeria,african football generally.
So go and complain to him.
I made a mistake by not posting d link for d article.I'll do that immediately.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ogo Obi, The Nigerian Messi, Joins Man United On Trial / Lol.....jose Morinho In House Fellowship Praying Over Chelsea Poor Form... / Venus Williams To Launch Active Sportswear In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.