Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,570 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine (19617 Views)

Is Mileage Of 156,000 Miles Too High For A 1999 (ie 14-Year-Old) Car? / Is Buying A Car With A Mileage Of 109,000 Miles A Safe/good Buy? / Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by pragmatistm(m): 8:36am On Dec 28, 2013
Good morning car experts. Please help me on this issue

I recently replaced my car engine. The mileage on the dashboard for the old engine is just 169,000km but the engine debeloped a serious problem and we had to change it. When the new engine (its actually Tokunbo engine from lagos & very clean) was put in the car, the mileage reads 153,000km plus. My questions are: is the mileage for the tokunbo engine valid? If not, how can I determine the real mileage and how good or reliable the engine is?
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by Nobody: 8:59am On Dec 28, 2013
Your query isn't making any sense. Replacing an engine will NOT alter the mileage on the odometer. There's either something you're not saying.

Or this is a barefaced lie.
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by pragmatistm(m): 9:13am On Dec 28, 2013
Siena: Your query isn't making any sense. Replacing an engine will NOT alter the mileage on the odometer. There's either something you're not saying.

Or this is a barefaced lie.

Mr. siena. Honestly, im not lying. Though im not very knownledgeable on this matter, but that's what i saw on the dashboard.

Having said that, can you educate me on the durability of the Tokunbo engine they bought and put in my car?
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by Nobody: 9:16am On Dec 28, 2013
pragmatist_m: Good morning car experts. Please help me on this issue

I recently replaced my car engine. The mileage on the dashboard for the old engine is just 169,000km but the engine debeloped a serious problem and we had to change it. When the new engine (its actually Tokunbo engine from lagos & very clean) was put in the car, the mileage reads 153,000km plus. My questions are: is the mileage for the tokunbo engine valid? If not, how can I determine the real mileage and how good or reliable the engine is?

What a contradiction, how did you know/arrive/determine the new mileage of 153,000 plus from the previous 169,000?

Did you/your mechanic perform any odometer rollback?
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by pragmatistm(m): 9:47am On Dec 28, 2013
lomomike:

What a contradiction, how did you know/arrive/determine the new mileage of 153,000 plus from the previous 169,000?

Did you/your mechanic perform any odometer rollback?
I don't know whether the mechanic tampered with the odometer. but that's what i saw on the dashboard.
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by Nobody: 9:52am On Dec 28, 2013
pragmatist_m: I don't know whether the mechanic tampered with the odometer. but that's what i saw on the dashboard.

I can't think of any way one can determine the mileage of a used engine when its being sold for usage in another car except you saw the odometer of the donor car (assunming that odometer isn't even faulty or tampered with)
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by abatically(m): 5:02pm On Dec 28, 2013
I don't think there's a way to know the odometer of a used engine unless there's a tag on the engine stating its odometer before shipping. I have once replaced an engine with a tag on it stating the place of shipping, odometer and other info.. But most used engines don't have such tags on them or have been removed. If u are having a new odometer after changing the engine, then probably the mechanic has rolled it back
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by Nobody: 9:35am On Dec 31, 2013
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by Nobody: 11:07am On Dec 31, 2013
chaircover: Siena is very right

How did I stumble into this area of NL embarassed
How did you know he's right? You don go under motorcar before? grin
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by Nobody: 12:17pm On Dec 31, 2013
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by pragmatistm(m): 12:38pm On Dec 31, 2013
lomomike:
I can't think of any way one can determine the mileage of a used engine when its being sold for usage in another car except you saw the odometer of the donor car (assuming that odometer isn't even faulty or tampered with)
abatically: I don't think there's a way to know the odometer of a used engine unless there's a tag on the engine stating its odometer before shipping. I have once replaced an engine with a tag on it stating the place of shipping, odometer and other info.. But most used engines don't have such tags on them or have been removed. If u are having a new odometer after changing the engine, then probably the mechanic has rolled it back
But even if the odometer can not reveal the kilometers the engine has covered, what are some of the sign I can look out for when the car is working to know if its a good engine or bad one?
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by Exponental(m): 4:58pm On Dec 31, 2013
Buying a toks engine is @ owners' risk. Just be positive n hope for d best.
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by pragmatistm(m): 8:30pm On Dec 31, 2013
Exponental: Buying a toks engine is @ owners' risk. Just be positive n hope for d best.

Thanks.

The mechanic has assured me over and over again that he has got a good engine for me but i just want to do an independent assessment as im using it.
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 31, 2013
pragmatist_m: Thanks.

The mechanic has assured me over and over again that he has got a good engine for me but i just want to do an independent assessment as im using it.

How do you propose to do that bro?
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by yungboss(m): 8:49pm On Dec 31, 2013
Hello Siena,
please I sent you an email...
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by pragmatistm(m): 2:52am On Jan 01, 2014
Siena:

How do you propose to do that bro?

That is what im asking people to enlighten me about.

I know you are versed in auto issues, so if you can guide me it will be appreciated.
Re: How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine by Lexusgs430: 4:01am On Jan 01, 2014
pragmatist_m:

That is what im asking people to enlighten me about.

I know you are versed in auto issues, so if you can guide me it will be appreciated.

'Independent assessment' Such a big word !!!!! Your mechanic and the seller(s), can only say what they want you to hear. The only way I feel you will get some form of solace or security, is if the seller is offering you some sort of warranty or else you have to take risk and hope + pray !!!!

(1) (Reply)

Pros And Cons Of Car Tints / Audi Launches It’s First Proper Electric Car / Please Advice: Best Route From Lagos To Abuja (road Trip)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.