Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,273 members, 7,807,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc (63710 Views)

Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc / Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics / Hnd Is Better Than Bsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 8:32pm On Dec 29, 2013
zebra: I've never been specific on engineering alone. Accounting/accountancy is another course to also talk about here. FYI, there are practical sessions in accountancy in the polytechnics in case u don't know. Have u also wondered why they have to do 1 year industrial training before completing the HND program?

I'm not sure I'd like to call "balancing an account sheet", practical
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 8:36pm On Dec 29, 2013
destino24: Op, additional research just proved this whole topic wrongA Higher National Diploma (HND) is a higher education qualification of the United Kingdom.[1] A qualification of the same title is also offered in Malta,[2] Nigeria,[3] and some other countries with British ties. This qualification can be used to gain entry into universities at an advanced level, and is considered equivalent to the second year of a three year university degree course.

Edexcel describes an HND as "A vocational qualification, usually studied full-time, but can be studied part-time. It is roughly equivalent to the first two years of a 3 year degre (with honours), or to the Diploma of Higher Education".

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_National_Diploma
Nigeria doesn't run her HND program that way. In Nigeria HND is 4 academic years plus one year IT. Bsc is 4 academic years also.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 8:38pm On Dec 29, 2013
destino24: Op, additional research just proved this whole topic wrongA Higher National Diploma (HND) is a higher education qualification of the United Kingdom.[1] A qualification of the same title is also offered in Malta,[2] Nigeria,[3] and some other countries with British ties. This qualification can be used to gain entry into universities at an advanced level, and is considered equivalent to the second year of a three year university degree course.

Edexcel describes an HND as "A vocational qualification, usually studied full-time, but can be studied part-time. It is roughly equivalent to the first two years of a 3 year degre (with honours), or to the Diploma of Higher Education".

Nigeria doesn't run her HND program that way. In Nigeria, HND is 4 academic years plus one year IT. Bsc is 4 academic years also. That is why the US accepts the nigerian HND as an equivalent of a BS degree. The UK does not accept it because of the name.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by dejt4u(m): 8:51pm On Dec 29, 2013

God bless u brother..mr Zebra..i think we are done here or wat else??
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 8:53pm On Dec 29, 2013
zebra: Nigeria doesn't run her HNWheregram that way. In Nigeria, HND is 4 academic years plus one year IT. Bsc is 4 academic years also. That is why the US accepts the nigerian HND as an equivalent of a BS degree. The UK does not accept it because of the name.

Nigeria doesn't run her HND program what way?

Where in that link did they say HND is not 4years plus 1 year IT

We are not running the US system of education, we are running the UK's, and if they don't accept it then we don't accept it too. Maybe when we start running the US system then we can accept it as being equal

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 9:08pm On Dec 29, 2013
dejt4u:
God bless u brother..mr Zebra..i think we are done here or wat else??
Done with what? No body is saying that HND and Bsc are the same. U guys should take it easy and try to understand the issue raised. Nigerian HND is not like what u see in that link. In nigeria HND takes 4 academic years plus 1 year internship. The WES in the US evaluates certificates from other countries to determine their equivalence with the US BS Degrees. Some Nigerian HND certificates have been evaluated and given the equivalence of a US BS Degree based on relevant credit units and some of them have been given admission for MS programs. If the US can recognize the Nigerian HND as equivalent to a US BS Degree, why can't nigeria do same? Mind u some Nigerian Bsc and HND results have been relegated by WES as not equivalent to a US BS Degree.

5 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by dejt4u(m): 9:11pm On Dec 29, 2013
zebra: Done with what? No body is saying that HND and Bsc are the same. U guys should take it easy and try to understand the issue raised. Nigerian HND is not like what u see in that link. In nigeria HND takes 4 academic years plus 1 year internship. The WES in the US evaluates certificates from other countries to determine their equivalence with the US BS Degrees. Some Nigerian HND certificates have been evaluated and given the equivalence of a US BS Degree based on relevant credit units and some of them have been given admission for MS programs. If the US can recognize the Nigerian HND as equivalent to a US BS Degree, why can't nigeria do same? Mind u some Nigerian Bsc and HND results have been relegated by WES as not equivalent to a US BS Degree.
BTW which skul do u attend??
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 9:14pm On Dec 29, 2013
zebra: Done with what? No body is saying that HND and Bsc are the same. U guys should take it easy and try to understand the issue raised. Nigerian HND is not like what u see in that link. In nigeria HND takes 4 academic years plus 1 year internship. The WES in the US evaluates certificates from other countries to determine their equivalence with the US BS Degrees. Some Nigerian HND certificates have been evaluated and given the equivalence of a US BS Degree based on relevant credit units and some of them have been given admission for MS programs. If the US can recognize the Nigerian HND as equivalent to a US BS Degree, why can't nigeria do same? Mind u some Nigerian Bsc and HND results have been relegated by WES as not equivalent to a US BS Degree.

Guy, answer the questions in my previous post, and please stop calling US here.
WE ARE NOT RUNNING THEIR SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 9:28pm On Dec 29, 2013
destino24:

Guy, answer the questions in my previous post, and please stop calling US here.
WE ARE NOT RUNNING THEIR SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
don't be rude pls. Let's discuss calmly with some form of respect for each other.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 9:32pm On Dec 29, 2013
dejt4u:
BTW which skul do u attend??
i'm not attending any school for now. Hope i've answered ur question?

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 9:56pm On Dec 29, 2013
zebra: don't be rude pls. Let's discuss calmly with some form of respect for each other.

Sorry if i sounded rude
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 10:31pm On Dec 29, 2013
destino24:

Sorry if i sounded rude
No, u didn't. Just trying to warn on dat so dat we don't start an e-war.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 10:31pm On Dec 29, 2013
destino24:

Sorry if i sounded rude
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Sodiq3(m): 10:37pm On Dec 29, 2013
zebra: Well, i'm still wondering why/how poly HND graduates pass ICAN exams and other professional exams even before many varsity graduates.
where Did you get this from or you re just assuming? if you can't give me link or basis to this prejudice of yours, i will believe you re nt been objective,,,source plz
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by padeolu: 2:03am On Dec 30, 2013
zebra: Nigeria doesn't run her HND program that way. In Nigeria HND is 4 academic years plus one year IT. Bsc is 4 academic years also.
point of correction, In Nigeria, HND is 2years.

3 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 8:12am On Dec 30, 2013
padeolu: point of correction, In Nigeria, HND is 2years.
Point of correction too, u don't go into HND program in nigeria with ssce and spend 2 yrs like the british do. U must have 2 yrs ND plus 1 yr internship to qualify u to do 2 yrs HND in nigeria which makes it 5 yrs. There is a difference in the UK and nigerian HND system. The ND is just like an associate degree in the US also.

8 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zutu(m): 10:42am On Dec 30, 2013
B engr all the way!! I hate poly with passion.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by padeolu: 10:51am On Dec 30, 2013
zebra: Point of correction too, u don't go into HND program in nigeria with ssce and spend 2 yrs like the british do. U must have 2 yrs ND plus 1 yr internship to qualify u to do 2 yrs HND in nigeria which makes it 5 yrs. There is a difference in the UK and nigerian HND system. The ND is just like an associate degree in the US also.
Don't muddle up points bro, am less concerned about how things are done in the UK but Nigeria. HND is a continuation program of OND just like M.Sc is to B.Sc(which is optional). So I see no basis for argument here, the answer to your question is bolded in ur post.
Now to the topic, its pure fiction to use WES evaluation in Nigeria as they don't know the reality here. I see comparation of University 1st degree and an HND as an eyesore, that needs no debate, argument or deliberation.

3 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 10:51am On Dec 30, 2013
zutu: B engr all the way!! I hate poly with passion.
u mean u hate technologists? It means u're not a good engineer. Do u do engineering work without technologists? Do u implement ur designs by urself? U have to work with them, they are part of the engineering team.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by bizfirst: 3:41pm On Dec 30, 2013
Nigerians are always confused and are found of attaching value where none exists! To the best of my knowledge, polytechnic graduates beat their university counterparts in vocational and technical courses any day, any time. The universities should even be proud they are equated to polytechnics...SMH!

11 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by tpia5: 3:41pm On Dec 30, 2013
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by tpia5: 3:42pm On Dec 30, 2013
When did hnd stop being equivalent to a bsc?

At least in most disciplines, don't know about engineering.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 3:43pm On Dec 30, 2013
#bizfirst#:
Nigerians are always confused and are found of attaching value where an exists! To the best of my knowledge, polytechnic graduates beat there university counterparts in vocational and technical courses. The universities should even be proud they are equated to polytechnics...SMH!

I'll advice you to visit any COREN state office near you, and ask them the difference between an Engineer and a Technologist
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 3:43pm On Dec 30, 2013
#bizfirst#:
Nigerians are always confused and are found of attaching value where none exists! To the best of my knowledge, polytechnic graduates beat there university counterparts in vocational and technical courses. The universities should even be proud they are equated to polytechnics...SMH!

Typical chest beating bull5hit.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
zebra: Please, if World Educational Services (WES), a US educational evaluation agency could evaluate a Nigerian HND certificate and say it is equivalent to a 4-year Bsc Degree, what then is the problem of Nigeria and Nigerians? Many HND holders have had their transcripts evaluated by WES and the outcomes have been that the Nigerian HND is equivalent to a Bsc Degree. What then is making Nigeria to still discriminate against Nigerian HND holders? Try evaluating ur Bsc or HND certificate with www.wes.org and see. Or, is it that they don't know what they are doing?
So WES should be used as a yardstick?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 30, 2013
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by U09ce: 3:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
destino24: Maybe in another profession but in Engineering, its a NO!

The kind maths wey we solve for first year, dem dey do am for final year
Which maths is that?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by usmanktg2(m): 3:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
Love the argument. learnt alot
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 3:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
Well, a question for you.. Can a poly graduate do masters without passing tru PGD? My bro, uni n poly aint d same and will neva be d same.. We can argue further

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kennytidistar(m): 3:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
HND AND BSC ARE EQUIVALENT ON INTERNATIONAL STANDARD, THATZ ALL.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by abacusCm(m): 3:56pm On Dec 30, 2013
I am both B.sc and HND graduate.I discovered that HND courses are more technical and practical than B.sc courses.Both suppose to be equivalent and this discrimination should stop henceforth.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Shollyps(m): 3:56pm On Dec 30, 2013
NEVER...NOT IN 9JA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

See Latest News About ASUU Strike Today / "Missing OAU Law Student" Found!!! / Some Commonly Confused Animals: Can You Tell Them Apart?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.