Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,662 members, 7,801,914 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc (63661 Views)

Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc / Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics / Hnd Is Better Than Bsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by eaxes: 8:59pm On Dec 30, 2013
zebra: US schooling is better than that of Nigeria 100 times. Atleast u can see what not following their system has done to education in Nigeria and the economy as a whole.
U̶̲̥̅̊ arε̲̣̣̣̥ an idiot. §☺ our education system is bad ßє¢ō§ ψє did not equate bs Ãήϑ hnd? U̶̲̥̅̊ muppet.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Od31(m): 9:04pm On Dec 30, 2013
Olugbenger:

So you are a graduate of a both a university, and a polythenic?

You mean after you completed your HND, you still had to go to a university to get a Bsc and are spewing nonsense about their equality here?

Before you start taking above ur head. I went to the university for a master's degree. My HND was evaluated to be BSC equivalant. So both HND and BSC graduates in same class for masters and I could not see the thing that was special with them.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 9:04pm On Dec 30, 2013
rckdude:

Well I think that is their biggest undoing. HND holders seem to accept society's opinion about them and just settle for less. I don't see why they can't push further and go for Pgds and msc.
yes going for msc is the best for them
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 30, 2013
Od31:

Before you start taking above ur head. I went to the university for a master's degree. My HND was evaluated to be BSC equivalant. So both HND and BSC graduates in same class for masters and I could not see the thing that was special with them.

Did you do Masters with your HND?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 9:06pm On Dec 30, 2013
ASUP is still on strike, right?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 9:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
Soyedele1:

Mr Zebra, Na Fight? I guess You dont have Prof to lecture you grin grin grin

I feel your pains!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Who dey fight who here? Sorry i'm 99% sure i went to the university before u, so why shld i feel any pains?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kskpoundz(m): 9:10pm On Dec 30, 2013
dejt4u:
let me tell u what probably u didnt knw about university education in Nigeria...
As a university graduate, u are bound to be versatile i.e u will nt be restricted to ur dept or faculty alone.. If u are a science student, u will tak some courses outside ur faculty be it admin, social science, art, tech etc weda as core courses, free electives, special electives or restricted electives.. So it makes dem more versatile dan ppl from other higher institutions..that is what i meant by revision of poly's curriculum..
Although, those wit OND or HND are very good in practicals even better than uni graduates especially in engineering... I hope u get me better now

And who says they don't teach other department courses?u will do at least 2 courses outside ur course of study........hope u get me 2
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 9:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
zebra: Who dey fight who here? Sorry i'm 99% sure i went to the university before u, so why shld i feel any pains?

My Boss!! I'm not taking it personal as well.. I am learning alot of this forum but the fact remains I hav been taught by 15 prof or so..
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 9:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
walemoses2: Could it be when you compared Samsung with Tecno

Yeah like seriosly,keep hating bro.while techno keep smiling to the bank,making the chinese economy boom.

So far BSCs & HNDs wah av u done for our dear country huh?
Its been years since the establishment of higher institutions of technology,yet nothing technological have come out of it.
Goto minna-suleja road,you see locals breaking stones with their bare hands,question is,of all this years,has anybody thought of building a pet project to alleviate their suffering of having to break stones with their bare hands?how about a mechanical cheap and affordable stone breaking machine by a nigerian coy.or group or students?
On and on I could go,what I tink we should base our arguement is how we can use our God given talents/Acquired knowledge to build pet project @ different sectors of the economy that will bring about economic growth and development,a change that will make our dear country industrous and agriculturally inclined...
Am sure most of you BSCs and HNDs holders are already the members of the infamous Nigerian Unemployed Graduates(NUG) group,some wants to even remain there as chairmen how pathetic?

BTW I'm an ND holder an entrepreneur,I have been to places,I know how much I make just by applying my formal and informal innovation into the business I run

#Bottom line is;we should stop this arguement like aggrieved wives of a polygamous marriage and rather focus our arguement and effort on the task ahead.

In my imagination I see myself becoming greater than dangote in my generation,by harnessing the various natural sources of income,and even employing first class graduate to work under me.
I will make my conclusions with the follwing remarks from great entrepreneurs turn world class business men/women.
"I hawked plantain in the streets of Benin" -
Larry Izamoje "
I didn't even complete my University Education" - Bill Gates "
I was the one who served in Hotels" - Oberoi "
In my childhood days, I Stitched Shoes" - Abraham Lincoln "
I worked in a Petrol Pump" - Dhirubhai Ambani "
I Slept On a Bench For A week and borrowed Rs.(Rupees) 20 everyday from a friend to travel to filmcity" -Shahrukh Khan "
I used to Serve Tea at a Shop to support my Football Training" - Leo Messi.
That's the spirit Life... is not about what you
couldn't do so far, its about what you CAN STILL
DO!!

#Obrigado Gracia

3 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rckdude: 9:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
Olugbenger:

You are a certified clown. So now you folks have resorted to comparing the staff of the institutions?

You better discuss what you know.

I don't even believe this your tale of Unilag having no competent lecturer to take you on International Financial Reporting Standards. I'm in the engineering field, but i know relevant facts about such things and how to relate them to issues. Even my sibling in the accounting line won't say such about her institution, not Unilag however.

Don't make me expose you here.

Now, have you been to other polythenics?

What do you know about their teaching staff strength compared to universities?

Hey pls no name calling. Let's have a civil debate here. You don't know about the accounting discipline, if u do, u will know that Nigeria just adopted ifrs as a standard for financial reporting but ican and acca had incorporated it in their syllabus for a while now. The competent lecturers we have on ifrs are mostly ican tutors who are mostly yabatech lecturers. I never said unilag accounting doesn't have competent lecturers, I only made reference to Group Account and ifrs. Which as ridiculous as it may sound, we do not have and not many schools have it.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Olugbenger(m): 9:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
rckdude:

But the established opinions are flawed. We all cry foul when someone with a foreign degree comes around and is considered before us. Its also the opinion of employers that anything foreign is better. Do you consider such opinion flawed or not?

Most foreign trained graduates being better than the Nigerian ones is widely known and generally acceptable. It's not even debateable considering the current level/standard of our institutions here.

So what are you talking about being flawed?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Olugbenger(m): 9:25pm On Dec 30, 2013
rckdude:

Hey pls no name calling. Let's have a civil debate here. You don't know about the accounting discipline, if u do, u will know that Nigeria just adopted ifrs as a standard for financial reporting but ican and acca had incorporated it in their syllabus for a while now. The competent lecturers we have on ifrs are mostly ican tutors who are mostly yabatech lecturers. I never said unilag accounting doesn't have competent lecturers, I only made reference to Group Account and ifrs. Which as ridiculous as it may sound, we do not have and not many schools have it.
Bro, you have grave reading problems and comprehension issues.
You see why i referred you to you as a clown. I earlier stated that i'm not a novice though i'm not in the field, and you are trying to score cheap points with that.

I know of ICAN tutors/organisations, PYE, WYSE etc and i know those who lecture there exactly. I've a sibling who is chartered, so i know exactly what i'm talking about here. Stop trying to inject false conjectures to create a disparity involving the focus of this discussion.

I only refuted your earlier claim and you are yet to disprove my accusation, so what are you on about?

That only Yabatech has competent lecturers on IFRS?

I don't intend disgracing you here. Make your points clear, if valid.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kenzspunpy(m): 9:25pm On Dec 30, 2013
Soyedele1: for HND grads, during your Undergraduate days, how many professors taught you and how many professors you have in ur dept? At University level, right from your 100lvl to final year, You will pass through alot of professors... during my 100lvl, I can count up to 4 Professors that taught me.. Both of you HND holders know that you can work as a graduate assistant in the university.. grin grin grin grin

Baseless argument. What professors? Nigerian professors? Are you guys not talking about nigerian universities? What is so special about the universities in this country?
Just as we have so many bright polytechnic graduates, so do we have countless unworthy university graduates. Is it not the same universities where lecturers and the so-called professors sell internet copied materials as text books, just like the handouts sold in the polytechnics? Abeg leave story!
The issue of comparison does not arise here. HND is advantageous in it's right, so is B.Sc. The warped education system in Nigeria is responsible for the unfounded disparity in placements at the Federal Civil Service. Both qualifications are meant to serve different and specific purposes in a sane clime. However, the basis for their respective existence have been rubbished and defeated in this country, hence the unnecessary battle for comparison.
Nevertheless, the advantages of each remain clear and potent. I stand bold to say that very few university graduates in engineering can stand shoulder to shoulder with their polytechnic counterparts. I hold an HND in Mining Engineering. I've had causes to compete with countless university graduates, who I see as paper-weight in my field. Without been immodest, they don't know what I know. Some of them go to just 2 field trips through out their study. I went to 8 field trips!
Even beyond academic qualification tussle, I've had causes to compete with doctors, lawyers and other university graduates and I always hold my own.
As an HND graduate, what you know, your level of confidence, personality, poise, finesse and your self believe scale the heights for you.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by dastudent(m): 9:27pm On Dec 30, 2013
HND is meant to be equivalent to the first year of a university curriculum.reason why you get A direct entry yo year 2 with an hnd certificate.I used to have that argument too.However, the hnd curticullum in a school like yabatech is better than most graduate courses in Nigeria .
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Olugbenger(m): 9:29pm On Dec 30, 2013
Soyedele1:

Did you do Masters with your HND?

You would notice he fled after this question.

cheesy
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rckdude: 9:33pm On Dec 30, 2013
presher: yes going for msc is the best for them

But they are contented to play the victim role.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rckdude: 9:33pm On Dec 30, 2013
presher: yes going for msc is the best for them

But they are contented playing the victim role.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kennytidistar(m): 9:35pm On Dec 30, 2013
Soyedele1:

My Boss!! I'm not taking it personal as well.. I am learning alot of this forum but the fact remains I hav been taught by 15 prof or so..

and So? who told you there no Dr in polytechnic? is Prof not just a chieftain academic title? do you want to earn more than PhD? let start thinking above our cap!!
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 30, 2013
kennytidistar:

and So? who told you there no Dr in polytechnic? is Prof not just a chieftain academic title? do you want to earn more than PhD? let start thinking above our cap!!

Which school did you attend? wink
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by isikco: 9:38pm On Dec 30, 2013
destino24:

There is a difference between an Engineer and a Technologist

Besides, we are not using the American educational system

EDITED
------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a question for all

If you had the opportunity of sending your first son to any higher institution of your choice.
Which one would it be, poly or uni?
so u are saying student of polytecnic are nt human worthy 2 b compared wit university graduate, i can bet anytin polytecnic student are genius and more serious dan uni, poly studnt ave more xperience dan uni, i went 2 poly nd uni.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by DonId(m): 9:42pm On Dec 30, 2013
I don't think there is any need to argue on this. The basis for the difference in B.Sc and HND lies in the design of both programmes. HND was designed to cater for particular technical niche in areas of practical applications of knowledge while the B.Sc degree was designed to explore theorems. A polytechnic graduate is usually taught and is made conversant with how things operate rather than why the are designed to operate so.

In the scheme of design of the HND programme by the OBJ led Govt, a university graduate is meant to oversee the work of a polytechnic graduate.
Yes universities were also designed to have the least tutor be a Doctor and as such university graduates are exposed to the same lecturers that polytechnic lecturers come to learn under. It's that same reason why you see that in most polytechnics in Nigeria, the highest degree is a Doctor and these are often few while a single Dept in a university can sometimes boast of 10 professors and hoards of Doctors.

This therefore means that polytechnic lecturers and university graduates often drink from the same fountain of knowledge.

All this being said, anyone can become whatever you want, I believe that all you need is more belief in yourself, coming from a polytechnic should never let you put yourself down anywhere.

Peace!!!

3 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Od31(m): 9:44pm On Dec 30, 2013
Olugbenger:

You would notice he fled after this question.

cheesy
Na wah for una oh, so even with the fact that mentioned that my HND was evaluated to be equivalent to Bsc, u still asked that question. So what was the point evaulating my HND? So to spell it out. My HND was evaluated b4 I was admitted for the masters programe. You must have read also in this forum that in the US, HND is evaluated to be equivalent to BSC.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by quiestla: 9:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
go to Yabatech and see where HND 1 Student Passing ICAN and some other professional exams.Even when Mr Akeju was there Yabatech students do pass ICAN EXAM when it comes to ACCOUNTING.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rckdude: 9:46pm On Dec 30, 2013
Olugbenger:

Most foreign trained graduates being better than the Nigerian ones is widely known and generally acceptable. It's not even debateable considering the current level/standard of our institutions here.

So what are you talking about being flawed?

I was expecting this predictable answer. So are you telling me graduates from ghana, togo, ugandan, angola and the likes are better than us here? some employers just get carried away with a non nigerian certificate. They don't care where it is from, are we that bad?

PS: I agree with you that non african graduates are better equipped and trained than us here.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 9:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
isikco: so u are saying student of polytecnic are nt human worthy 2 b compared wit university graduate, i can bet anytin polytecnic student are genius and more serious dan uni, poly studnt ave more xperience dan uni, i went 2 poly nd uni.

Pain, so much pain.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Toyesky: 9:52pm On Dec 30, 2013
Uni or Poly... Omo na wet in dey your pocket oooo.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Lachimex(m): 9:52pm On Dec 30, 2013
@Zutu...Am 100% sure ur type aint be in skul....Olodo
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Godswillboy(m): 9:53pm On Dec 30, 2013
zutu: B engr all the way!! I hate poly with passion.
zebra:
u mean u hate technologists? It means u're not a good engineer. Do u do engineering work without technologists? Do u implement ur designs by urself? U have to work with them, they are part of the engineering team.
dey are nt just part of the team,they are the team.engineer for mouth,u fit do anytin,even to implement electrical or electronic circuit u fit?
Dem nor day shame,try compare urself with engineers 4rm outside,u fit interact with them.as an engineer can u build or create a simple electrical/electronic device? And u day hate poly.because u paid ur way to fool urself in uni.
Sorry for the bad/negative word,behave matured as nans are disappointed in you for been a nigerian student or nigerian graduate
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Okwyjesus(m): 9:53pm On Dec 30, 2013
Hnd and Bsc can nevae be the same.

From the entry qualification to the design of their curriculum.

Nigerian will never allow a system to be as they were designed.

YOU SAW JAMB FORM AND YOU WENT FOR EASIER POLY JAMB. NOW YOU WANT US TO GRADE YOU THE SAME. NEVER!
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kennytidistar(m): 9:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
searay: Why this arguement? Take Jamb enter Uni or or score less than 150 and dump yourself in Poly. The two are not the same in terms of standard.

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY NIGERIAN STUDENTS IN MILLIONS SCORED ABOVE 200 IN JAMB AND STILL CANNOT SECURE UNIVERSITY ADMISSION DUE TO LIMITED SPACE? WHY? BECAUSE THE SYSTEM IS POOR AND NEED TO BE BROKEN DOWN LIKE I SAID EARLIER. STATE OF EMERGENCY NEED TO BE DECLARED IN THE SYSTEM, SO BECAUSE SOMEBODY HAD HND DOES NOT MEAN HE DIDN'T SCORE ABOVE 200 REASON ABOVE YOUR CAP

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Sodiq3(m): 9:57pm On Dec 30, 2013
unending Argument...Let's look it this Way..Rice and beans is inter-related...Both are to Serve Different purpose..Rice(carbohydrates ) / beans(protein ) and We all know that most people prefer Rice (university ) than beans ( polytechnic ) cus of some intersecting and Variable factors.. my Take on this-let's Polytechnics change their curriculum and the Way they are been Run....Both system are collapsing, our gov't should do something tangible and reasonable to revive the system and Stop this useless Dichotomy which spearheaded hatred,Eater of Rice had For beans...
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Philistine(m): 9:58pm On Dec 30, 2013
jeffoe: look most of the ond guys who came in through post de some either could not cope and ask to withdraw some graduated with poor result only a small percent had good grade Chem Engr university of Benin they attested to the fact that what they did in ond was merely child's play

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (20) (Reply)

How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) / WAEC Result Of A Student From St. Francis Catholic College, Oyo. / Some Commonly Confused Animals: Can You Tell Them Apart?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.