Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:49 PM

Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. (42295 Views)

Duty Payment: Outrage, As Motorists Decry Harassment By Customs Officials / How Do I Know If A Car Custom Duty Has Been Paid ? / A Total Amount Of M134,000,000 Was Paid For Custom Duty Alone For Dos Cars Below (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by sultaan(m): 1:22am On Dec 09, 2014
With the fallen oil price and impending economic gloom, these rates will surely be reviewed downwards.

In a functioning economy you do whatever you have to do to increase revenue and that does not include raising tax on items you have no control over.

It is about to become Nigerians spending money that will dictate the economy and most will spend where they pay less to government.I can afford to buy and ship a car to Nigeria for use when on vacation but cannot afford to pay that much import duty to keep an item that depreciates daily.

To save cost is it even remotely possible I clear my car myself instead of using an agent because I know there is a procedure in place to do so
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 6:05am On Dec 09, 2014
sultaan:
With the fallen oil price and impending economic gloom, these rates will surely be reviewed downwards.

In a functioning economy you do whatever you have to do to increase revenue and that does not include raising tax on items you have no control over.

It is about to become Nigerians spending money that will dictate the economy and most will spend where they pay less to government.I can afford to buy and ship a car to Nigeria for use when on vacation but cannot afford to pay that much import duty to keep an item that depreciates daily.

To save cost is it even remotely possible I clear my car myself instead of using an agent because I know there is a procedure in place to do so

Sir,there are so many things that only a trained agent can do,things like valuation,examination,calculating dollar values etc and that's why we're called customs licensed agents.The procedure been put in place is for goods shipped in containers,the importer can make bank payments but you'll still agents to process your papers for you,even custom officers can't run duty payments,they only accept the jobs from gullible Nigerians and transfer to licensed agents after deducting their cut.

The bestt thing is to ship through cotonou cos it's cheaper.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by sultaan(m): 3:41pm On Dec 09, 2014
saintjoel:

Sir,there are so many things that only a trained agent can do,things like valuation,examination,calculating dollar values etc and that's why we're called customs licensed agents.The procedure been put in place is for goods shipped in containers,the importer can make bank payments but you'll still agents to process your papers for you,even custom officers can't run duty payments,they only accept the jobs from gullible Nigerians and transfer to licensed agents after deducting their cut.

The bestt thing is to ship through cotonou cos it's cheaper.

I do understand your advice and if I was you I won't put my livelihood in jeopardy by advising possible on how to bypass my services.

There was a guideline in place on NCS website and I feel I am educated enough to clear a simple car. But being the kind of country it is nothing can be done without bottlenecks

1 Like

Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 7:22am On Dec 10, 2014
sultaan:

I do understand your advice and if I was you I won't put my livelihood in jeopardy by advising possible on how to bypass my services.

There was a guideline in place on NCS website and I feel I am educated enough to clear a simple car. But being the kind of country it is nothing can be done without bottlenecks

Sir,I'm sorry to say but I'm not putting my livelihood in jeopardy and I don't know where you got your assumption from cos it sounds ridiculous. I'm a graduate and I also have Cisco and MSCE certified,so if you believe stopping as an agent today will put me on the streets,permit me to say that it's ridiculous.

Kindly state a country where you can import vehicles or goods yourself and pay import/export yourself,clear customs,locate your imports in the ports yourself,scan and obtain reports at land borders,hack your VIN etc.Many people just think that and agent's work is a day's stroll through the park,maybe that's where your getting your erronous views,if you tell me that your agent has told you how much to pay to bank,is bank payment the end of the job?.Which agency will you even use to run the job,this post was created to create a bridge between importers and agents,it's not as if we've been making money from it,if there's any importer that has given us jobs apart from carshoppers,let him/her come out and state it,all these are just to show you that you can't just get a car on ebay and it comes directly to your home without people assisting you.

Sir,forget about bottlenecks,if there's any custom officer on Nairaland,let him/her come online to tell us if they can even perform the jobs of agents and that's the day I'll retract this post cos even custom officers obtain the jobs and handover to agents,so if they can't run your duty,how will they teach on a website.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by sultaan(m): 2:51am On Dec 12, 2014
saintjoel:

Sir,I'm sorry to say but I'm not putting my livelihood in jeopardy and I don't know where you got your assumption from cos it sounds ridiculous. I'm a graduate and I also have Cisco and MSCE certified,so if you believe stopping as an agent today will put me on the streets,permit me to say that it's ridiculous.
Kindly state a country where you can import vehicles or goods yourself and pay import/export yourself,clear customs,locate your imports in the ports yourself,scan and obtain reports at land borders,hack your VIN etc.Many people just think that and agent's work is a day's stroll through the park,maybe that's where your getting your erronous views,if you tell me that your agent has told you how much to pay to bank,is bank payment the end of the job?.Which agency will you even use to run the job,this post was created to create a bridge between importers and agents,it's not as if we've been making money from it,if there's any importer that has given us jobs apart from carshoppers,let him/her come out and state it,all these are just to show you that you can't just get a car on ebay and it comes directly to your home without people assisting you.
Sir,forget about bottlenecks,if there's any custom officer on Nairaland,let him/her come online to tell us if they can even perform the jobs of agents and that's the day I'll retract this post cos even custom officers obtain the jobs and handover to agents,so if they can't run your duty,how will they teach on a website.

I didn't mean it like that I was implying job security for a certain reason.

Agents are not employees of the government there is no where in the function of the government where you need to clear your items through them by law. The ideal way is that the NCS create /gives a requirement to clear items; all an individual might need is a valid ID, documents identifying the item, and its value then based on the rate set for that item in customs book necessary payments are made and evidence of payment presented. All that is on the side of the shipper it is up to the custom to inspect or not inspect it.

Agents are just individuals that have been certified by the NCS as capable of facilitating expedient clearing of goods in this case not just an automobile but a wide range of items if you are bringing in construction items and material for a job then an agent will be your best bet.

FYI if I want to ship a car I will get the require paperwork call a shipping company for quote, drive down to the port give to custom for inspection when cleared give the papers to the shipping line and and get a bill of laden. But I have to be at work so I drive the car to a shipping agent pay his fees and cost of shipping they handle it and send me a bill of laden or send it to receiver if I want.

A duty is a tax should it be necessary to hire someone to pay one tax? if I go to a Mercedes dealership for a special order part like ac compressor they'll say it will be ready in 2 business day.As the part person enter my order into the system a picker is picking it in Germany and packaging for UPS with 1 hour.The package is on a UPS flight that night and next day at the hub getting sorted the second day it will be delivered to dealership ready for pick up no bottleneck no shipping charge.

If there was a real dealership in Nigeria that was shipping in 5000 cars a month do you think they should be going through customs, pay import duty they charge a sales tax and still be in business.That will be an industry if Innoson can do that for a country of 100million.

In the US a country of 300million there is an average of 50,000 F-150, 13,000 Camry, Accord, Altima, Fusion each a month. You the country aspire to be great it has to focus on great things

As an agent you should NOT be focused on clearing cars as your business you should be clearing consignments and the whole shipload of cars but no dealer is bringing in a boatload of inventory because we just want to depress the economy.

2 Likes

Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 11:31am On Dec 16, 2014
sultaan:

I didn't mean it like that I was implying job security for a certain reason.

Agents are not employees of the government there is no where in the function of the government where you need to clear your items through them by law. The ideal way is that the NCS create /gives a requirement to clear items; all an individual might need is a valid ID, documents identifying the item, and its value then based on the rate set for that item in customs book necessary payments are made and evidence of payment presented. All that is on the side of the shipper it is up to the custom to inspect or not inspect it.

Agents are just individuals that have been certified by the NCS as capable of facilitating expedient clearing of goods in this case not just an automobile but a wide range of items if you are bringing in construction items and material for a job then an agent will be your best bet.

FYI if I want to ship a car I will get the require paperwork call a shipping company for quote, drive down to the port give to custom for inspection when cleared give the papers to the shipping line and and get a bill of laden. But I have to be at work so I drive the car to a shipping agent pay his fees and cost of shipping they handle it and send me a bill of laden or send it to receiver if I want.

A duty is a tax should it be necessary to hire someone to pay one tax? if I go to a Mercedes dealership for a special order part like ac compressor they'll say it will be ready in 2 business day.As the part person enter my order into the system a picker is picking it in Germany and packaging for UPS with 1 hour.The package is on a UPS flight that night and next day at the hub getting sorted the second day it will be delivered to dealership ready for pick up no bottleneck no shipping charge.

If there was a real dealership in Nigeria that was shipping in 5000 cars a month do you think they should be going through customs, pay import duty they charge a sales tax and still be in business.That will be an industry if Innoson can do that for a country of 100million.

In the US a country of 300million there is an average of 50,000 F-150, 13,000 Camry, Accord, Altima, Fusion each a month. You the country aspire to be great it has to focus on great things

As an agent you should NOT be focused on clearing cars as your business you should be clearing consignments and the whole shipload of cars but no dealer is bringing in a boatload of inventory because we just want to depress the economy.

Jelad ventures is undergoing expansion and by next year,we're also going into clearing of containers at land borders and ports,your points have been noted,thanks.

1 Like

Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Dio1(m): 9:27am On Dec 18, 2014
What is the cost of clearing a 2005 Mercedes C-class?
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 12:14pm On Dec 19, 2014
Dio1:
What is the cost of clearing a 2005 Mercedes C-class?

Tincan/cotonou?
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Dio1(m): 9:19pm On Dec 23, 2014
saintjoel:

Tincan/cotonou?
Tincan and cotonou .
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 7:32am On Jan 01, 2015
With joy in my heart, I wish you a Happy New Year. This year (2015) shall bring blessings of God to you and your family. Peace shall surround you like a river. There shall be no more troubles and worries in your family. Everything you desire shall manifest in your life. This is your year of divine favours and abundant blessings. You shall not lack in Jesus name. Amen.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by rahmathassan(m): 9:42am On Jan 03, 2015
I bought a Toyota Camry from a dealer, with 1997 model label on the seat belt..but bn using it for over 2 yrs. now.. And not really sure of the duty papers, how much can it cost to formalize the paper of this car?
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 2:28pm On Jan 03, 2015
rahmathassan:
I bought a Toyota Camry from a dealer, with 1997 model label on the seat belt..but bn using it for over 2 yrs. now.. And not really sure of the duty papers, how much can it cost to formalize the paper of this car?

Sir,custom duty papers expire after seven years. If the car has duty papers,all you need to do is check from the asycuda section of any customs command if it's authentic and if it's not,kindly state if the car was imported through cotonou or tincan.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by llade(m): 6:28am On Jan 04, 2015
@ saintjoel pls I want to ask d price of custom duty on acura mdx 2008 model when d 70 percent auto policy comes into effec cos I intend to buy one later dis year. Many thanks.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 11:13am On Jan 04, 2015
llade:
@ saintjoel pls I want to ask d price of custom duty on acura mdx 2008 model when d 70 percent auto policy comes into effec cos I intend to buy one later dis year. Many thanks.

Sir,custom duty doesn't operate like that.Once the increment starts,we'll be notified by the valuation section of the Nigerian customs command,what we can just give is an assumed figure.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by llade(m): 12:30pm On Jan 04, 2015
Thanks @ saintjoel but pls what's d current amount of custom duty from idiroko/seme for d 2008 acura mdx. Tks.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 9:33am On Jan 05, 2015
These notice is for customers/potential customers about to purchase vehicles from cotonou or about to ship through cotonou.

The Jelad crew wishes you a happy new year and may the year not bring tears and sadness but may it bring success, excellence and greatness.

Our target in 2015 is to make sure that your vehicles are cleared from the port or borders with ease,in time and without dents to your pockets.

In order to achieve this,we need to abide with some rules and we believe this will help us work better and faster in the year 2015.

1. Time wasters will no more be given priorities. What this means is that customers/potential customers who waste our time and time meant for other serious customers won't be given attention again,once we discover that you're in that category,we'll stop our discussions with you.

A sample picture of a time waster can be seen below. We wonder how a customer will believe he can get a 2012/13 Pilot for N2M and what has kept surprising us is that people still get scammed daily by agents who quote ridiculous prices in order to lure them into the market.

2. We will not accept jobs involving impounded cars,jobs transfered from custom officers or agent-agent jobs and we'll also stop handing out jobs to other agents. We'll only accept such jobs with a written note from the direct importer authorizing us to takeover such jobs,also we'll only accept the job of processing duties for smuggled vehicles if the vehicle registration papers are submitted and inspected by a police officer.

3. If your vehicle gets to seme border in the evening and we can't clear custom officials in time,the vehicle must either be parked at the vehicle seat of the Seme customs command or the importer must lodge in an hotel in Badagry or it's environs till the next day. If the importer insists on moving the same evening the vehicle gets to the border,he/she must give us a note authorizing us to hangover the vehicle.

4. Your custom duty papers come with what we call a Customs reference number and it's used to verify the authenticity of the documents,if any importer wants to verify before leaving the border,the vehicle will still be parked at the vehicle seat till the document has been verified by the asycuda unit of the local customs command.

5. If you're shipping your vehicle through cotonou port,you can start processing your duty papers immediately your shipping agency has acknowledged that it's in transit,this will go a long way in hastening the processing when the vehicle gets to the port.

6. We still process plate numbers,tint permit and comprehensive insurance and what we need are listed below-

A. Name
B. Address
C. VIN/Chassis
D. Engine number
E. Model of vehicle
F. Color

7. Only two agents are recognized by Jelad agency and they're authorized to change currencies for customers but kindly note that they'll only operate if an alert has been seen and verified.The banks at the border are listed below-

A. First bank
B. U.B.A
C. Ecobank
D. Diamond bank
E. Zenith bank
F. Union bank

If any transfer is done outside any of these designated banks,an alert must be seen before exchange is carried out.

8. If we give a quote and the customer insists on paying a lower rate,he/she must give us a written and signed document,this will be produced if the vehicle is impounded by NCS personnel as proof that the amount given to us was below the quote and we didn't skim out of it.

9. Our service is still N30,000 but it's negotiable for vehicles below 2005 and it must be paid before vehicles leave the border. Also note that deposits still remain at N30,000 for cars below 2005 and N50,000 for SUVs below 2005,N50,000 for cars above 2005 and N100,000 for SUVs above 2005.

10. We'll still continue with quoting asking prices plus custom duty payable. The reason we do this is just because we want you as the customer to prepare your mind and budget when coming into the market,also you're expected to bargain when you get to the market. Also note that bargaining can only be done by you,we will only bargain on your behalf if you've given us cash to act as proxy.

11. All vehicles must be checked by our mechanic but you can bring your personal mechanic for a second opinion buyt transactions will be stopped if the customer's mechanic starts acting funny,like asking for money in order to convince his employer or when he starts insisting he has better people who can handle your job,we'll stop transactions immediately.

12. We may not accept jobs from clients who go behind our backs into parks in Cotonou and they've been hooked by touts at the gates cos at the end,it endangers our people even when the customer has left with his/her vehicle. What customers don't understand is that you're going into another country where cultures and languages clash,the touts there are after your money and may even steal your money or organize for your vehicle to be stolen,they'll only leave you alone when they see that you're with a licensed agent.

Please note that this rules may seem harsh but they've been set as a guideline to a company that wants to give better and more efficient services to our numerous prospective and old customers in 2015.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 2:58pm On Jan 06, 2015
saintjoel:
CUSTOM DUTY

This has always been a major bone of contention between agents,importers and Nigerian customs service.

The Nigerian constitution stipulates that duty must be paid for every goods and vehicles imported into the country,before May,2014 it was twenty percent for some vehicles and thirty-five percent for jeeps and heavy duty vehicles but after May,it was pegged to thirty-five percent flat rate for all vehicles and by it'll be increased to seventy percent by January.

We've always heard importers tell us that custom duties charged by some agents are always high and they give the jobs to agents that charge lesser fees but what happens to the bank payment. Let's use two vehicles as an example,toyota 4runner and highlander and we will be use the old tariff for land borders before the increment.

Let's assume an importer wants to bring a 2003 toyota 4runner into the country,all the agent needs to do is make his normal deduction of four years,which means 2003 4runner may pay the value of a 1999 4runner,which means 278,000naira bank payment and 350,000naira total cost (processing + 278,000 *bank payment*).

Now the problem starts when an agent overshoots the target year and deducts like 6years and pays less than 250,000-278,000 naira as bank charges (please note that this value may vary according to what the valuation office gives him/her),this automatically turns to we call a shortpayment and it's risky.

Also let's check highlander,using 2003 toyota highlander as an example. In the pix shown below,we can see that after the normal deduction,it's going to be 150,000-157,000 naira bank payment with 220,000 - 250,000naira overall expense.

Now,importers can see that custom officers (who will give the jobs to agents after removing their gains) or agents who charge less are putting your vehicles at risk at your expense,it's just a case of penny wise,pound foolish. The F.O.U patrols and C.G squads are now highly trained to spot this differences,although your agent or an average car dealer who's aiming to make more gain might grease the ways through these points,it'll not be an easy for the end user. We've heard people going all the way to non-existent border areas like ilorin to come up with duties that are so ridiculous and we'll keep wondering who gave them the authorization cos those commands are only out to raise revenue for the government and leave you at the mercy of F.O.Us and C.G squads.

This post is entirely the OP's opinion,thanks.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 4:56pm On Jan 16, 2015
It has been brought to our notice that some people are now using our company name for scams.

Just this morning,we got a mail from OLX notifying us that a certain Pastor Johnson Olawale with mobile phone number 08140980269 placed an advert on their site claiming he had a 2008 Toyota camry for sale at N200,000.After calls to verify his story,he claimed the car was been sold by the Nigerian customs service auction department.

The management of OLX has been notified and the advert has been deleted as you can see from the pictures.

We'll like to thank our customers that have great trust in us, we will also like to notify all and sundry that Jelad ventures doesn't know about auctions.

Kindly verify from us before you make any purchase if you come across any advert from jead ventures,thanks.

Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 4:58pm On Jan 16, 2015
More

Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by ubiquitousade(m): 1:26pm On Jan 22, 2015
saintjoel:

Shipping through Lagos-

05 HIGHLANDER - =N=550,000
07 matrix - =N=620,000
04 MDX - =N= 450,000
05 rx330 - =N= 550,000

Shipping through cotonou -

05 highlander - =N= 485,000
07 matrix - =N= 450,000
04 MDX - =N= 614,000
05 RX330 - =N= 470,000.

Thanks, what about a Rav4 2008 Model
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by lukman22: 4:11pm On Jan 22, 2015
How about 2007 Passat through Cotonu?
Thanks
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 9:35pm On Jan 23, 2015
ubiquitousade:

Thanks, what about a Rav4 2008 Model

N620,000.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by ubiquitousade(m): 9:49pm On Jan 23, 2015
saintjoel:

N620,000.

Thanks
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by ifedayosol(m): 1:12pm On Jan 24, 2015
Pls what of Toyota camry(envelope) 2002
saintjoel:

N620,000.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by ifedayosol(m): 1:16pm On Jan 24, 2015
What about Toyota camry(envelope) 2002 model. Shipping through Lagos
saintjoel:

N620,000.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 6:12am On Jan 25, 2015
ifedayosol:
What about Toyota camry(envelope) 2002 model. Shipping through Lagos

=N=300,000.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by ifedayosol(m): 7:59am On Jan 25, 2015
Thank you. Though I made mistake on the year, its 2001 not 2002
saintjoel:

=N=300,000.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 1:55pm On Jan 25, 2015
ifedayosol:
Thank you. Though I made mistake on the year, its 2001 not 2002

Its the same rate.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by TCD: 3:41pm On Jan 25, 2015
saintjoel:

Its the same rate.
hello how much duty for 2002 camry coming through seme border?
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 4:41pm On Jan 25, 2015
TCD:
hello how much duty for 2002 camry coming through seme border?

N130,000 if you're purchasing from the parks.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 9:08am On Mar 24, 2015
Goodmorning folks,

We've just made a startling discovery when we were about claiming back an SUV seized while it was been smuggled to berger as it's final destination and we've decided to bring it to the notice of our dear customers and prospective customers.

Over the years,it's has been a normal thing to claim seized vehicles from customs after appeal letters have been written by agencies/agents.

The normal process was writing an appeal letter to the legal office of the local NCS command where the vehicle was seized and the legal office notifies the valuation unit,so on and so forth.

But to our dismay,it's now outright seizure for vehicles been smuggled across the border and when it's labeled as "SEIZURE",it's gone for good.

The only option left is a sort of "buy back",buy back means either the owner keeps track of the vehicle by going to abuja or he allows the agency do it for him/her,immediately the CG of NCS gives the order to auction of the seized vehicle,the owner would've shown interest and it can be sold back to the original owner.

Our submission is this,always make sure you pay duty before you bring in your vehicles through seme and idiroko routes.

1 Like

Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 24, 2015
Hello Sir,

Please how much will it cost me to get Nigeria custom papers for the following vehicles bought in Cotonou:

1. 2007 Acura TL automatic
2. 2007 Acura TL S-Type automatic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know / 2018 Independence Drive: The Classic Cars That Graced Event (Photos) / See What A Lagos Driver Was Seen Using As Side Mirror (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.