Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. (42267 Views)

Duty Payment: Outrage, As Motorists Decry Harassment By Customs Officials / How Do I Know If A Car Custom Duty Has Been Paid ? / A Total Amount Of M134,000,000 Was Paid For Custom Duty Alone For Dos Cars Below (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by themodernman: 9:45pm On Jun 22, 2015
saintjoel:

YES SIR,YOURE ON POINT.....HAPPY SUNDAY.

How is Custom Duty not a part of the Clearing cost? Please explain better bro....and I hope d Policy GEJ wanted to implement won't materialize oh.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 7:36am On Jun 23, 2015
themodernman:

How is Custom Duty not a part of the Clearing cost? Please explain better bro....and I hope d Policy GEJ wanted to implement won't materialize oh.

processing and bank charges are custom duty or clearing cost.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by themodernman: 8:06am On Jun 23, 2015
saintjoel:

processing and bank charges are custom duty or clearing cost.

Honestly I don't get your response.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 8:18am On Jun 23, 2015
themodernman:

Honestly I don't get your response.

IT IS BECAUSE YOU'VE NOT BEEN TRAINED AS AN AGENT,WHY DON'T YOU LEAVE THE TECHNICALITIES TO THE EXPERTS SIR?
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by themodernman: 8:22am On Jun 23, 2015
saintjoel:

IT IS BECAUSE YOU'VE NOT BEEN TRAINED AS AN AGENT,WHY DON'T YOU LEAVE THE TECHNICALITIES TO THE EXPERTS SIR?

Hmmm...ok sir.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Yazzy(m): 7:42am On Jun 26, 2015
I want to know how much it would cost to clear a 2014 Volkswagen Jetta through Tincan.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Thunderbolt: 9:58pm On Jul 01, 2015
Bro
pls how much would it cost to clear 2004 Toyota Matrix in lagos?

The car is coming in from Canada
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by rahmathassan(m): 8:46pm On Jul 02, 2015
saintjoel:

Sir,custom duty papers expire after seven years. If the car has duty papers,all you need to do is check from the asycuda section of any customs command if it's authentic and if it's not,kindly state if the car was imported through cotonou or tincan.

I guest it was through cotonou
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Frugality2477: 12:52am On Jul 03, 2015
saintjoel:
CUSTOM DUTY PAYMENT MADE SIMPLE.

The payment of custom duty has always caused arguements between agents and clients who want to bring in cars into Nigeria through ports or land borders. At jelad ventures,we have taken pains to explain the procedure to clients and we've also decided to post on Nairaland,so that clients will not be confused when bringing vehicles into Nigeria.

When you're bringing a vehicle into Nigeria,there's is a certain tariff you've to pay and it's always divided into two,bank payments and running costs. The bank payment is what you pay into the bank and it goes directly to the NCS HQ and FG while running costs is what the command you're paying through uses to print your documents etc.

Using the two pictures below as illustrations,we can see the tariff booklet is divided into three sections,year,value and bank.

A) Year - the manufacture year of the vehicle been bought into Nigeria.

B) Value - the estimated dollar value of the vehicle been brought into the country.

C) Bank - this is what the FG actually actually expects the agent pay into the bank as bank charges for his/her client's vehicle.

Please take note that apart from year of manufacture,vehicles are also rated according to engine capacity,which means your vehicle may be 20% or 35% engine capacity.

Also please note that the NCS having discovered that the bank charges were too expensive reached an unwritten agreement with agents,which means an agent can shave three/four years off the actual year of the vehicle been brought in,to make it affordable for the clients.

Now let's use three vehicles as examples using the pictures shown below.

A) 2002 Highlander - as we can see from the pictures, 2002 Highlander is rated as 20% engine capacity,valued at 4,918$ and with bank payment of 214,600,which means any importer bringing in an 02 highlander has to pay at least 350,000 =N= to obtain duty papers. 350,000 =N= must have been high for importers to pay,so an agent can use his/her discretion to run the duty papers has 1999 highlander (2002-3yrs=1999),which means 156,000 naira is paid into bank and the importer pays 250,000 has custom duty charges.

B) 2008 Highlander - from the pictures below,we can see that 2008 highlander is rated as 35% engine capacity with a dollar value of 9,250$ and bank payment of 648,268 =N=. All the agent needs to do is declare the SUV has 2004(2008-4yrs=2004),which means 420-450,000=N= can be paid into the bank while the importer pays 550-600,000=N= as bank charges.

C) 2006 Range rover HSE - From what we can see,the RRS is rated as 35% engine capacity with dollar value of 22,650$ and bank payment of 1,587,380M =N=. This particular vehicle has always been a source of confusion between importers,agents and custom officials. In some instances,we've agents who declare it has 2002(2006-4yrs=2002) and they pay =N=1M has bank charges while the importer pays 1.2M for duty charges.

We also have agents who take risks in declaring the 06 RRS as 1999 or below,which means they pay 600,000 =N= as bank payments while the importer pays 850,000 =N= as running cost but absolute care should be taken because in a situation where one agent manages to bribe his/her way out,it may not work for another agent and in such case,the vehicle may be impounded.

Now,note that when vehicles are impounded and it's about been recovered from custom officials,a DL is raised. DL means direct levy and in this case,the importer is asked to pay the original bank charges he/she was supposed to pay and also pay a 20% fine with running costs.

Running costs using seme border as an example is what an agent pays to type the documents,collect value for the vehicle,assessment and examination of vehicles and tagging. Tagging of documents is very necessary especially across land borders because these photocopies are essential,they're are records the Fed. Ops. Unit and CG squads submit in ikeja and Abuja commands to show that your vehicle passed through their checkpoints.

When next you're bringing in your vehicles in through land borders or ports,always make sure you take care that your agent doesn't short pay. Short payment means making false declaration e:g declaring an 06 RRS as 02 RRS or declaring 2007 camry as 98 camry or 2002 sienna has 1996 toyota bus.

All these acts put the vehicles at risk and it's always common amongst dubious agents and car dealers who want to make more gain from car sales,that's why we now see more and more cheap cars coming out of lagos ports and at the end,these same cars are impounded by custom officials.

Now the following post was written as by the management of Jelad ventures and it doesn't not serve as the opinion of every custom agent operating at the ports or land borders. If at anytime,there are other agents who want to add to this post,they're free to do so.

Thanks and happy new year in advance.
how much is it to clear a Camry 2012
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by sultaan(m): 5:12am On Jul 03, 2015
unwritten means fraud

**Edit***

bypass of laid down guidelines with no waiver or exemption used.

and it starts with the person who willingly misrepresented the facts.

mistakes can easily be made in representation, but if gains are made through such representation it could be considered fraud
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 7:58am On Jul 03, 2015
I DONT REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN BUT IF YOUR POST IS ABOUT MY SILENCE ON THE INQUIRIES,IT IS BECUASE THIS SECTION IS SUPPOSED TO BE TRANSACTION FREE AND I DONT WANT TO BE BANNED.IF ANYONE POST IN THE AUTO SECTION,HE/SHE WILL GET A REPLY.te author=sultaan post=35422704]unwritten means fraud[/quote]

GGGG
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 10:14am On Jul 03, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/1460599/clear-containerized-goods-vehicles-ease ....THESE IS THE LINK FOR INQUIRIES.

2004 MATRIX IS N350,000

author=Thunderbolt post=35378147]Bro
pls how much would it cost to clear 2004 Toyota Matrix in lagos?

The car is coming in from Canada[/quote]

NNNNNN
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 10:18am On Jul 03, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/1460599/clear-containerized-goods-vehicles-ease ....THESE IS THE LINK FOR INQUIRIES,THANKS.

YOU DID NOT STATE THE SHIPPING LINE BUT IF IT IS GRIMALDI,BUDGET N1.1M.

te author=Frugality2477 post=35420910] how much is it to clear a Camry 2012[/quote]

NNNN
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 10:21am On Jul 03, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/1460599/clear-containerized-goods-vehicles-ease ......THESE IS THE LINK FOR INQUIRIES,THANKS.

IF IT IS THROUGH GRIMALDI,BUDGET N1.8M.

e author=Yazzy post=35162947]I want to know how much it would cost to clear a 2014 Volkswagen Jetta through Tincan.
[/quote]

NNNNN
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by viazi: 5:04pm On Jul 03, 2015
# Saintjoel, is it OK to declare a 2004 RX330 as 2002 RX300? If so, how much is the total duty? Cost of the Car from Cotonou and your charges. Urgent
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 5:25pm On Jul 03, 2015
viazi:
# Saintjoel, is it OK to declare a 2004 RX330 as 2002 RX300? If so, how much is the total duty? Cost of the Car from Cotonou and your charges. Urgent

DEAR OP,I THINK THE ANSWER WILL BE BEST ANSWERED IN THIS SECTION ..... https://www.nairaland.com/1245239/cheapaccident-free-cars-4rm-cotonou.

https://www.nairaland.com/1460599/clear-containerized-goods-vehicles-ease

YOU WILL NEED TO LEAVE THE TECHNICALITIES TO LICENSED AGENTS.

ASKING PRICE FOR 04/05 RX330 IS N2.4M + N350,000 CUSTOM DUTY.

**** SUBJECT TO FLUCTUATIONS IN EXCHANGE RATE ****

ALL OTHER INQUIRIES SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO THE LINKS ABOVE.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by badenugba: 5:48pm On Jul 05, 2015
Custom duty ? @ Tincan
Camry 2007
Corolla 2003 and
Accord 2003
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by sultaan(m): 6:50pm On Jul 05, 2015
saintjoel:
I DONT REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN BUT IF YOUR POST IS ABOUT MY SILENCE ON THE INQUIRIES,IT IS BECUASE THIS SECTION IS SUPPOSED TO BE TRANSACTION FREE AND I DONT WANT TO BE BANNED.IF ANYONE POST IN THE AUTO SECTION,HE/SHE WILL GET A REPLY.te author=sultaan post=35422704]unwritten means fraud

GGGG

Sorry for the misunderstanding I mean that is how custom defraud the people/government by by shortchanging on transaction.

Of course those benefiting from such transaction will see it as good deal.Client is paying lees, agent gets more business, and custom officers pocket more money. The only risk is if the client has to deal with customs officers on the road asking why the model year is wrong and go make proper payment at the bank, but then more bribing will work too.In any legal frame of the process, everything must be documented as is, "lying" on any documentation is fraud. If the govt want you to pay less they will reduce the rate.
The moral compass of those benefitting from Nigeria's system of government is so warped there is no direction for progress just 'whatever make me rich is the right way'. The way a true government/process/system succeed is the run it as written that way everybody does the right thing at all times if there is a need for change it will be made accordingly.

It does raise the idea that under normal rule of the law the bank payment is the only payment required by the government the rest is for processing.

If the Chinese and the rest of the developed world have a custom service that is 1/50 as effective(rotten) as ours they will still be queuing for fuel and running generators.

1 Like

Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Royal30: 12:48am On Oct 29, 2015
saintjoel:
Goodmorning nairalanders,

We wish to inform you that your favorite agency is back online,bigger and stronger.

The proposed 75% increament by the FG has been postponed,so we are still operating with the 35% increment but our esteemed customers and prospective customers should please note that even with the increment,we'll still bring your cars into Nigeria with no hassles. The only difference is that many under age cars will now pay 91,000 as bank charges as against the 65,000 and 71,000 been paid before.

In order to make things easy for our dear customers,we've decided to reopen our idiroko office,which means that we'll be switching borders in order to get good deals for you and the reasons will be illustrated below.

Some charges are been waived at the idiroko border,charges like the 5,000 naira parks fees has been reduced to 2,400 naira,several other reasons makes the idiroko end of the border cheaper for some cars coming out from cotonou.

Our customers are also informed that custom duty papers from seme and idiroko borders still carry the custom reference number which they can use to verify the authenticity of the papers from any customs command before their vehicles leave the border.

If you've vehicles coming in through cotonou ports,please be informed that custom charges inside cotonou remains the same for every vehicle been shipped in regardless of manufacture year but the bill of lading must be submitted a week earlier and also note that demurage for vehicles is still six months which shipping of vehicles through cotonou port cheaper and safer than lagos ports.

Once we have documents from idiroko border, we'll post online.

For more information,kindly contact gbenga through the following links-

BBM - 79D28AE1 and 22B2B2C9

Mobile - 08062948193 and 08178489280

Mail - jelad.ventures@yahoo.co.uk

Whatsapp - 08062948193

Viber - 08062948193

Wechat I.D - akogun79

Do you also clear cars coming through cotonou port from USA with cotonou customs? Or you deal only with Nigeria customs alone.
I want to import 2011 toyota highlander through contonou port.....how much is the clearing for the car to arrives my doorstep in the East...
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 12:22pm On Oct 29, 2015
Royal30:

Do you also clear cars coming through cotonou port from USA with cotonou customs? Or you deal only with Nigeria customs alone.
I want to import 2011 toyota highlander through contonou port.....how much is the clearing for the car to arrives my doorstep in the East...

NIGERIAN CUSTOM DUTY - N550,000

BENIN DUTY - 510,000 CEFA (N191,200 @ N378 - 1,000 CEFA)****** SUBJECT TO FLUCTUATIONS IN EXCHANGE RATE*****

DELIVERY CHARGES WILL DEPEND ON LOCATION,KINDLY REVERT.

THANKS.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Royal30: 2:09pm On Oct 29, 2015
saintjoel:

NIGERIAN CUSTOM DUTY - N550,000

BENIN DUTY - 510,000 CEFA (N191,200 @ N378 - 1,000 CEFA)****** SUBJECT TO FLUCTUATIONS IN EXCHANGE RATE*****

DELIVERY CHARGES WILL DEPEND ON LOCATION,KINDLY REVERT.

THANKS.

OK.....Will keep you posted once arrangement is completed and its about to be shipped from USA to Contonou
Kindly let me know what informations you will be needing in order to fast track all the relevant documents processing while its underway and how long it takes...
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 2:20pm On Oct 29, 2015
Royal30:

OK.....Will keep you posted once arrangement is completed and its about to be shipped from USA to Contonou
Kindly let me know what informations you will be needing in order to fast track all the relevant documents processing while its underway and how long it takes...

ALL I NEED ARE YOUR NAMES,ADDRESS AND VIN....

WE CAN EVEN START PROCESSING THE DUTY PAPERS IN NIGERIA BEFORE IT BERTHES IN COTONOU.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Royal30: 7:12pm On Oct 29, 2015
saintjoel:

ALL I NEED ARE YOUR NAMES,ADDRESS AND VIN....

WE CAN EVEN START PROCESSING THE DUTY PAPERS IN NIGERIA BEFORE IT BERTHES IN COTONOU.

Ok will get the VIN later.....what is your company office address in lagos?
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 9:32pm On Oct 29, 2015
Royal30:

Ok will get the VIN later.....what is your company office address in lagos?

YOU CAN CALL ME ON 08062948193 AND MY OFFICE IS AT OPERATION 1,ANCLA COMPLEX IN SEME.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by mrs2u(f): 12:04am On Oct 31, 2015
@saintjoel, how much will I clear a Toyota Camry 2008 from seme/Idiroko border to Lagos?
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 1:27am On Oct 31, 2015
mrs2u:
@saintjoel, how much will I clear a Toyota Camry 2008 from seme/Idiroko border to Lagos?

N280,000 WITH DELIVERY IN AGBARA.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Boemak: 1:55pm On Oct 31, 2015
I have been following your thread. Please advise if it is possible to export through the cotonou port rather than lagos port. I have a client who will like to receive our product from an alternative port. If yes, please advise the process.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 2:02am On Nov 01, 2015
Boemak:
I have been following your thread. Please advise if it is possible to export through the cotonou port rather than lagos port. I have a client who will like to receive our product from an alternative port. If yes, please advise the process.

SIR/MA,WHAT WE BASICALLY DO IS CHECK THE COST OF SHIPPING THROUGH EITHER COTONOU OR LAGOS,WE THEN SHIP THROUGH THE CHEAPER ROUTE.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Boemak: 7:53pm On Nov 01, 2015
I will like to ship through Cotonou port for this specific Client of mine. The container will be coming into Lagos from the northern part of the country and I will like to know the process to get it through the Nigerian and Benin Republic borders to the Cotonou port. The final destination is India. What services can you offer in this regard.

In addition, I will appreciate if you can give an idea of the cost of such shipment. Thank you very much.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by ultimatenath1(m): 12:47pm On Nov 02, 2015
@saint Joel...
a clean Toyota corolla sport 2004 a maza 324f 2004. Honda civic 2005 Toyota Avalon 2004. how much can I get these cars in cotonu or togo custom duties inclusive
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by ultimatenath1(m): 12:47pm On Nov 02, 2015
@saint Joel...
a clean Toyota corolla sport 2004 a maza 324f 2004. Honda civic 2005 Toyota Avalon 2004. how much can I get these cars in cotonu or togo custom duties inclusive

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Policeman In Ojota Assists With A Vehicle Causing Traffic - Photos / UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know / See What A Lagos Driver Was Seen Using As Side Mirror (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.