Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? (26991 Views)

Best Nigerian Bank For Business Account / Largest Crowd Seen In A Bank For BVN Registration (photo) / 15 Killed In Bank Robbery In Offa, Kwara State (2) (3) (4)

Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by kaka22(m): 11:14pm On Dec 29, 2013
I don't know which section to ask this question. @Mod. Pls move my thread to appropriate section if this is not the appropriate one.

Some fellows and i were arguing in my area today whether banks could be sued for money lost that
had not been paid into one's account or not.

Those that supported the notion argued that Banks could be sued "because banks have a duty to guarantee security to customers once they are inside the bank". They argued further that they wouldn't have lost their money if they were not in the bank and since they lost it to bank robberies then they should be compensated. They gave the analogy of how most formal organisations removed themselves from any responsibility that may arise as result of car stolen in their premises and that's why the statement 'ALL CARS ARE PARKED AT OWNERS' RISK' can seen in their parking spaces/garage.

Those who opposed it argued that "since no transaction has taken place then banks cannot be sued for compensation".

Who is right between the two? Please I need your opinion as regard this. I want you to back your comment(s) with facts. And what does Nigerian law say about this?

Wow, I can't believe it shocked, my thread made fp...Ordinarily, I won't be bothered about my thread making front page but I am elated because of two reasons:
1. Today is the beginning of a new year (01-01-2014) so making front page is symbolic and this is the beginning of many more to come.
2. This is the first time my thread will make front page.
#quickly wears cloth and runs to church to give testimony grin#
I give honour and glory to God for making me see this day. Many thought that my thread wouldn't make fp but God disappointed them...
Haters, go and ...

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by kaka22(m): 12:29am On Dec 30, 2013
If you know that you have facts as regard the question, don't just view; make sure you comment.
Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by naijacutee(f): 12:54am On Dec 30, 2013
To help us understand the argument better, do you mean that the money is deposited in the bank and shortly after, a bank robbery takes place?
Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by Adinije(f): 1:23am On Dec 30, 2013
if u haven't deposited ur money and it got stloen, it's ur loss but if u have just deposited and the bank got robbed immediately then it's the bank's loss.

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by kaka22(m): 8:03am On Dec 30, 2013
naijacutee: To help us understand the argument better, do you mean that the money is deposited in the bank and shortly after, a bank robbery takes place?
The money has not been deposited...
Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by kaka22(m): 8:13am On Dec 30, 2013
Adinije: if u haven't deposited ur money and it got stloen, it's ur loss but if u have just deposited and the bank got robbed immediately then it's the bank's loss.
So the customers who haven't deposited their money won't be compensated?... Since the customers were robbed inside the bank, does that not count for something? ...

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by Adinije(f): 9:08am On Dec 30, 2013
anything (gadgets, money gold car)u take to the bank is still at ur risk except if it has been deposited

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by rozayx5(m): 10:12am On Dec 30, 2013
kaka22:
The money has not been deposited...

then its gone, no one is to blame
Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by Kirinwa: 11:12am On Dec 30, 2013
Very funny and yet serious.Reminds me of a story told of a man who thieves came to his house.The man begged the thieves to allow him pay the landlord also living in the same building house rent after which they are free to claim it.

Boy the money is lost.

25 Likes

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by nupera: 11:50am On Dec 30, 2013
The bank can not be held liable for what they have not taken procession of. The twist is that there is what is called occupiers liability. If i fell and broke my arm within the bank premises due to a wet floor i can sue and get compensated if the bank did not make diligent effort to inform me of the possible hazard....just like they warned that my vehicle is parked at my risk within their compound.
I'm not a lawyer any learned fellow can help us further.

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by emaboi(m): 1:57pm On Jan 01, 2014
Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by tirtimy: 1:58pm On Jan 01, 2014
Love this thread, the question and I will be willing to learn from it.
Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by dahdah: 1:59pm On Jan 01, 2014
LEMME LEARN HERE

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by freda506(f): 2:02pm On Jan 01, 2014
If its not deposited,its your loss since there is no evidence to prove you were with money at all.Even if you got robbed after withdrawing,the bank is only liable to anything kept with them cool

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by lionspot(m): 2:02pm On Jan 01, 2014
nupera: The bank can not be held liable for what they have not taken procession of. The twist is that there is what is called occupiers liability. If i fell and broke my arm within the bank premises due to a wet floor i can sue and get compensated if the bank did not make diligent effort to inform me of the possible hazard....just like they warned that my vehicle is parked at my risk within their compound.
I'm not a lawyer any learned fellow can help us further.
it depends on the facts of d case. The principle of law that governs ths kind of issue is exclusion of liability. If the notice was boldly written and placed where anybody could see it, the bnk will escape liability. If the exact opposite is the case, the bnk would be liable if the plaintiff could establish an act of bailment.
Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by jeffizy(m): 2:02pm On Jan 01, 2014
If you can go through the legal system bottle-neck, you will claim your money. Provided you have proof and witness to you having such money.
To make it clearer, if the teller is already counting your money and you have the deposit slip endorsed, then you are in for a good fight.

Another similar experience was a friend that parked his car inside a club @Ibadan, then a heavy storm broke down the fence and had his car bonnet and wind-screen shattered.
Club initially tried taking responsibilities but he got a lawyer involved and it was determined that since the damage occured within the club's premises, it's their loss.
Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by nnocurruption: 2:03pm On Jan 01, 2014
Yes, you can sue the bank because, they are suppose to be responsible for the security of the people inside the bank.

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by mazizitonene(m): 2:04pm On Jan 01, 2014
Abi na d bank go sue u grin

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by mikael78: 2:06pm On Jan 01, 2014
I was here
Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by tellwisdom: 2:06pm On Jan 01, 2014
Bank premises na protection against thieves?? The money was still in your care and not the bank, my Guy sad

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by mrphysics(m): 2:07pm On Jan 01, 2014
No, u can not, once u are out of the bank, U are on ur Own. u hav no other business with d bank
Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by alaladakosta(f): 2:07pm On Jan 01, 2014
yes u can in nollywood movie.

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by overdrive(m): 2:07pm On Jan 01, 2014
So how can d bank verify how much that was stolen from u?abi do they ccall d robbers to confirm how much to pay u? grin

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by Thebrightest(m): 2:08pm On Jan 01, 2014
no
Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by trigar12(m): 2:09pm On Jan 01, 2014
Brb

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by akposking(m): 2:09pm On Jan 01, 2014
No u can'nt?
Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by albiol: 2:10pm On Jan 01, 2014
Where is that guy that always shout I am a lawyer

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jan 01, 2014
Please,is a bank responsible for their customers' security/safety within the bank's premises?
Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by 2sureguy1(m): 2:11pm On Jan 01, 2014
I'll tak dem 2 my father's court
Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by lionspot(m): 2:12pm On Jan 01, 2014
A question of fact like ths is dependent on the circumstances of the case. A bank may escape liability if the customer's lost was occasioned by his negligence. If it happened that the customer's lost was due to the bank's negligence, the bank would be held liable for the simple fact that they owe the said customer a duty of care to protect his money withn it's premises. Ths is the general rule. Other exceptions may work to negate the bank's liability. Ancilliary to ths is that ths question is a matter of evidence. It can go either way. Thanks

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by AbuMikey(m): 2:12pm On Jan 01, 2014

They can be sued, but hey, they've already given You your money, so, its left for You to protect Your money yourself.

You can't come to my house, then, on Your way outta my house, some armed robbers come to my house, then cart away with Your iPhone 5s, then ask me to pay for it. undecided

You wan die? angry

Check on this interesting thread. ยป www.nairaland.com/1576405/dubai-puts-record-setting-fireworks-show

Re: Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? by michaelo2(m): 2:13pm On Jan 01, 2014
I wouldn't want such a case.

New flower gate independent power plant built in sagamu industrial city Ogun / Adaora Umeoji Emerges Anambra Woman Of The Year / Meet G.U Okeke: GUO Transportation Business CEO & His Civil War Story