Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,401 members, 7,808,433 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

Nigerians Locked For 9 Years By Benin Authorities.Lawyer reacts on facebook.thx - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Locked For 9 Years By Benin Authorities.Lawyer reacts on facebook.thx (1228 Views)

The Removal Of The Lagos-Calabar Rail: Ben Murray-Bruce Reacts On Twitter / Ben Bruce Reacts On Question Asked About Okonjo Iweala / Femi Fani-kayode Reacts On Suicide Bomber Who Screamed ‘sai Buhari’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Locked For 9 Years By Benin Authorities.Lawyer reacts on facebook.thx by fajoren: 1:26am On Dec 30, 2013
i dewy ooo. i just dey read post about the 2 naija guys in prison....
8:14pm
Hamza Abu
hahahahahhaahah....
8:15pm
Kingsley Ughe
I dey provoke....

Hamza Abu
ol boy na waho
you know say i hate injustice....
Kingsley Ughe
i am doing a petition to the human right commission here in naija....
Hamza Abu
i know....
Kingsley Ughe
i will submit it it on the 6th....
Hamza Abu
ooohh may god bless you....
8:16pm
Kingsley Ughe
what is there offences....
8:17pm
Hamza Abu
alledged armed robbery....
Kingsley Ughe
have they been convicted in a court of law?....
Hamza Abu
arrested 3 years later,they claimed they knew nothing about. some beninois give their names....
Kingsley Ughe
ok.i will use vthe substance of your writ up to prepare my petition....
8:18pm
Hamza Abu
no not at all.not convicted....
8:19pm
Kingsley Ughe
ok.Its really crazy. In little Benin!.That is an affront....
Hamza Abu
benin authorities are doing investigations for nine years mean while co defendants ve all been released on bail....
Kingsley Ughe
i will sensitize the entire human right communities....
8:20pm
Hamza Abu
they are over doing it to nigerians here bro....
8:20pm
Kingsley Ughe
really?....

read entire story link
https://www.nairaland.com/modifypost?redirect=%2F1573390%2Ftwo-nigerian-citizens-locked-up%2320547615&post=20547615

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Locked For 9 Years By Benin Authorities.Lawyer reacts on facebook.thx by yorke1: 1:58am On Dec 30, 2013
Seriously, is this for real?
Re: Nigerians Locked For 9 Years By Benin Authorities.Lawyer reacts on facebook.thx by waleadex(m): 2:21am On Dec 30, 2013
Hmm
Re: Nigerians Locked For 9 Years By Benin Authorities.Lawyer reacts on facebook.thx by kolubo(m): 2:25am On Dec 30, 2013
See how i open my mouth and i no fit close am. Most Nigerian ambassadors only care for what goes into their pocket not minding what becomes d fate of any Nigerian citizens facing difficult situations. Op pictures or the prison never exist.
Re: Nigerians Locked For 9 Years By Benin Authorities.Lawyer reacts on facebook.thx by Lionbite(m): 2:38am On Dec 30, 2013

Re: Nigerians Locked For 9 Years By Benin Authorities.Lawyer reacts on facebook.thx by Dhelake: 6:58am On Dec 30, 2013
200Nigerians locked up (180biafr***, Others 20)
Re: Nigerians Locked For 9 Years By Benin Authorities.Lawyer reacts on facebook.thx by Adamskuty(m): 8:11am On Dec 30, 2013
fajoren: Located in the centre of Cotonou, the economic capital of the republic of Benin is situated "La prison civile de Cotonou" or 'PCC' as its fondly known,24 hours a day/365 days a year, the home of Ifeanyi Ofoukwu and Elendu Chukwu, Nigerian citizens of Igbo descent for the past nine years.If you haven't figured it out yet we are refering to the main prison for the city of Cotonou where these aforementioned Nigerians have been incarcerated since 2004 for an armed robbery alledged perpetrated in 2001 by some Nigerians and Beninois citizens.
The condition of their incarceration is an issue for the Nigerian government through their diplomatic mission in Benin, the Benin government and the human rights community to investigate.
Upon entering the main gates of the prison, there is a gendarmes(prison authorities) post comprising of one table,two wooden chairs and a rickety tv set.To the left is the entrance to the warden's office and to the right is where Messrs Ofoukwu and Chukwu have spent 24 hours a day for the last nine years of their lives.Mr Ifeanyi Ofoukou, fair skinned, muscularly built, approximately 35 years spends his time doing physical execises while his cell mate Mr Elendu Chukwu, pale darker greyish complexion, fortyish sits in his corner looking dazedly at the ceiling says ' see my body for many years i never see the sun'. This section of the prison commonly referred to as "condamne a mort" literally translated as 'condemned to death' is a small room with a metal gate at the entrance, no windows and a tiny bathroom area located next to the military guards barracks.There is a small tv on the floor, two fans, a bucket of water and some mats on the floor.There is one light bulb to brighten up the room and the walls are littered with hung plastic bags containing their few belongings because there is no space on the floor for storage.This is a 'no go' area of the prison randomly used by prison authorities to punish other inmates for indiscipline and dreaded by the whole prison.For the most serious major indisciplinary actions, other inmates are sent to 'comdamne a mort' section for five days, so Mr Ofoukwu demanded me in his strained voice 'Oga imagine staying in this environment for nine years'. He continued by telling me that for the first three years after they newly arrived at the prison, they and 16 other inmates were guarded in another prison cell within the general population much smaller with no toilet facilities and because they had to come out every evening to throw the human waste, the prison authorities decided to move them to their present cell away from general population to assure they are locked up 24 hours a day.
I had the opportunity to meet with the assistant warden to inquire why the Nigerians were incarcerated in such conditions,he listened to my concerns and blatantly told me in french 's'il vous plait il faut laisser l'affaire la, nous meme, on les a trouve labas comme ca' loosely translated as 'please forget, we also found them there like that'. Mr Chukwu in eloquent english explained to me that upon their arrival, they were considered dangerous and a flight risk so they were never allowed to join the general population and every other new prison authority staff since 2004(changed after every 3 years) where briefed by the outgoing administration that they should be put in isolation.
Getting no resolution from the prison authorities, I went to the courthouse to find out from the judges who are solely responsible for the inmates at the prison,if they were aware, or if they instructed the prison authorities to incarcerate these Nigerians in isolation and under such conditions. I was told that the decision of the welfare of the prisoners were the affairs of the gendarmerie( prison guards) and DAPAS(prison administrators).
Messrs Ofoukwu and Chukwu were arrested in Nigeria in 2004 three years after the armed robbery incident in Cotonou,Benin.They were handed over by the interpol services in Nigeria to the benin authorities and eventually ended up at the infamous PCC.Their case is handled by the prosecution which in the Benin Court of first instance comprise of seven(7) 'cabinet de juges'(judge's offices) who do the preliminar
point of correction,they are BIAFRANS,call Radio biafra in london to come help them instead of posting trash about nigeria.

Strange how this people claim nigerian when they is any negative story about them,someone should pls forward this article to radio biafra,so they can help their brother in trouble grin

pls the nigerian govt. Isn't responsible for them and there's absoluty nothing they can do. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Locked For 9 Years By Benin Authorities.Lawyer reacts on facebook.thx by Philipmems(m): 8:11am On Dec 30, 2013
Its sad that we have fat cows called diplomats who do nothing more than sit in the office pushing papers they have interests in, forgetting that they have other important duties to carry out. How many foreigners ( not people from Niger republic) do we have in our prisons? You think they don' t commit crime.... Arrest an american the next thing you know you will start receiving calls from the embassy because they care for their own... Nigeria is blessed with so much, so much yet we are so cursed... When will we come together to fight this social decadence, only when we stand as one people one nation can we make a headway but till them... Hmmmm... We go they use corner eye they observe...
Re: Nigerians Locked For 9 Years By Benin Authorities.Lawyer reacts on facebook.thx by Temismith(f): 8:22am On Dec 30, 2013
shocked
Re: Nigerians Locked For 9 Years By Benin Authorities.Lawyer reacts on facebook.thx by Olugbenger(m): 9:16am On Dec 30, 2013
undecided
Re: Nigerians Locked For 9 Years By Benin Authorities.Lawyer reacts on facebook.thx by ChiSun27(m): 9:47am On Dec 30, 2013
It will be so bad if a big country like Nigeria can't rsolve minor differences like this with Benin Republic.

Those guys have suffered.

Please...the Nigerian govt should stand on their feet and do something about this as soon as possible.

Imagine locking an unconvicted individual in freaking damn hell for 9 solid years.

God have mercy.
Re: Nigerians Locked For 9 Years By Benin Authorities.Lawyer reacts on facebook.thx by Nobody: 9:57am On Dec 30, 2013
Dis Calls For War....!Mey ah qo sharpen ma blade....Heads mst roll!

Re: Nigerians Locked For 9 Years By Benin Authorities.Lawyer reacts on facebook.thx by topsyking: 12:26pm On Dec 30, 2013
i dont like when pple judge sentimentally.. these guys were armrobbers..it not abut tribes. and they are been jailed for their crime... you know something about life...it easier to commit crime in nigeria and be in prison with good life..pls never commit crime in all this small french speaking country.benin,togo,cameroun.you will regret ur life...a friend once told me when he was wrongful accuse of crime in benin..he says he was tied upside down and was beaten like mad man..they have no mercy.. they are very bad.. their prison is worst than hell
BUT TO THINK THOSE GUYS ARE FROM THE IGBO NATION..NO COMMENT

(1) (Reply)

Only Clerics From Saudi Arabia Can Stop Boko Haram– Mustapha / We’ll Never Forgive The Government, We Are Well Armed- Nyanya Bomb Mastermind / New Map Of Nigeria, As Proposed By National Conference - See Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.