Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

New Import Duty - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / New Import Duty (1465 Views)

Import Duty Through Cotonou / Import Duty Proposal Halt / Car Import Duty & Clearing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Import Duty by txswat: 6:22pm On Dec 30, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan and his "FRIENDS" are obviously at it again. As many of you know starting Jan 10th 2014 duty and tariffs on "tokunbo" cars has been increased from 20% to 70%. Their argument and rationale for passing and implementing this law is to encourage foreign car manufacturers (toyota/nissan/honda/VW etc..) to invest in car manufacturing plants in Nigeria as a result creating more jobs for nigerians.
This law is so flawed in principle and implementation in many ways I don't even know where to start. For starters what foreign manufacturing company is going to agree to have a plant in a country with no stable electricity? Will the President and his cohorts answer that simple question. Or better yet, do they plan on running a car manufacturing plant with 24 hr generators? It simply makes no sense right from inception.
Even if they (Toyota, honda, hyundai, mazda, lexus,volswagen etc...) agreed to do that a law like this should be implemented in phases. This is not a project that is done within a year. It'll take somewhere between 3 to 5 years to adequately get a project like this functional. So while trying to create jobs in maybe 5 years they'll dry up tens of thousands of jobs, maybe hundreds of thousands when you consider dealers, their employees, clearing agents and their employees. What alternatives do you have for people who have made these trades their livelihoods for numerous years? Again a system that eats at its own core.
Lastly do you EVER see president Obama in a Range Rover or a BMW? No because in order to encourage local manufacturers ALL government official vehicles; from the white house to the loving county, Texas are american brands; Cadillac, Ford, chevrolet etc.. So good job President Jonathan you have once again shown the Nigerian people you are absolutely clueless and have no pulse for the people who gave you their vote to be president. But then again did they really give you their VOTE?

1 Like

Re: New Import Duty by sultaan(m): 12:23am On Jan 04, 2014
bOth know it should be impossible for him to put a foolish law like that and the subsidy removal into place without going through the house. Its becoming a yearly affair for Aso Rock to pull a no no. They called late Yar Adua go slow but this one really earned his nickname.

There is a process and incentive in place to encourage auto assembly 0% for CKD 5% for partial CKD and generous waivers for all these dealers yet it failed. At that rate PAN and others should be able to put a competitive car on the market so if the low rate failed on one side of the auto industry and 35% on the other side still succeed on used side going to 70% is an attempt to kill that side of the industry without any indication in the next 4 yrs that the assembly side will even be out of coma apart from PAN none of the big dealers have a site in place for assembly but its okay to go ahead with this murder in a week.

RETARDS angry
Re: New Import Duty by phlame(m): 1:00am On Jan 04, 2014
angry
Front Page Tinz
Re: New Import Duty by Nobody: 3:34am On Jan 04, 2014
Op what's/where's your source?
Re: New Import Duty by MsRola: 3:55am On Jan 04, 2014
smartchoice: Op what's/where's your source?
no be today, why are u asking for source now
Madam economy manager has sent the memo since november
Re: New Import Duty by Fhemmmy: 4:24am On Jan 04, 2014
Ms Rola: no be today, why are u asking for source now
Madam economy manager has sent the memo since november

True... we see how it will play out.
Re: New Import Duty by txswat: 5:01am On Jan 04, 2014
Here is the official memo

Re: New Import Duty by phlame(m): 6:27pm On Jan 05, 2014
This should be taken to the Front Page OH!
Re: New Import Duty by AreaFada2: 6:51pm On Jan 05, 2014
Frontpage please.

@OP, you could have done without personally insulting the president.
Re: New Import Duty by olanshi: 7:57pm On Jan 05, 2014
I think the move to Increase the import duty has been suspended...
Re: New Import Duty by txswat: 9:13pm On Jan 05, 2014
Area-Fada:
Frontpage please.

@OP, you could have done without personally insulting the president.

I don't think I insulted the President personally in anyway. I merely stated a fact and asked a question that I'm sure MOST nigerians have.
Re: New Import Duty by txswat: 9:15pm On Jan 05, 2014
olanshi: I think the move to Increase the import duty has been suspended...

Where did you get that info from?

(1) (Reply)

ggs / Toyota Rav42002model@ 1.050m08038580001,08077605055 / Sweet Reg 2009 Corolla Automatic #1.3m In Egbeda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.